Callaway Apex TCB - U.S. Release???

uscgolfguy

Hopefully the weather holds off and I get to try mine today (have had them built up and read to go for a week). I have the raw heads and will see how they compare to the raw apex MB’s I’m coming from.  I’m pretty confident the long irons from the TCB’s will go in the bag, may mix in some of my mb short irons though. 

Titleist TSR2 9 w/Ventus Black 6X
TM BRNR Mini 13.5 w/Ventus TR Blue 7X

Titleist TSR3 18 w/Ventus Black 9X or TM P760 3 w/HZRDUS Black 6.5 105
Artisan FC 4, Artisan HC 5&6, Artisan MB 7-PW (4 TI X100 120, 5-PW TI X100)
Artisan 51,55,60 (51 TI X100; 55,60 TI S400)
Artisan 0117 Slant Neck

I played another 9 last night.  I am absolutely loving these irons.  The past few years I have been getting very low spin off my irons.  So, my distance control seemed to suffer.  I took a leap and ordered these with the Modus 120X.  Going down 12 grams from my previous shafts.  I am getting some serious stopping power with the mid irons and distances seem very very consistent so far.  It's not like they have any magic pixie dust in them.  They just play like a classic players cb.  They're relatively forgiving too.  I feel like irons have been getting a little stronger and a little lower spinning these days. I was going with the Apex Pro and made the shift to these as soon as I heard they were available.  I am glad I made that move.  

The profile is great too.  My regular playing partner got the ZX7.  They're nice irons.  But, next to the TCB they look huge.  

• Like 2

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

1 hour ago, QuigleyDU said:

Sure, every one sees things different. Not good or bad and does not mean the irons are good or bad. They have a compact fairly short blade length. It is just the shape of the short irons I find unappealing. 

Totally get it, and I think you may be in the majority of folks on this one. I struggle to get comfortable with some of the squarer, boxier shapes that should be a good fit for me.

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎 9* @8, Diamana BF 60
Titleist TS3 15*, EvenFlow White T1100 75
Titleist TS2 HY 19* @18, EvenFlow White 90
Titleist 716 T-MB 3i PX 
Titleist T100 '21 4-9 PX
Vokey SM8 Jet Black 46.10, 50.08 @51
Cleveland RTX6 Tour Rack 57*
Bettinardi BB-8W

Chrome Soft X LS

I'm currently in a set of XFCB that I very much enjoy except for the offset in the 8-PW. I like a bit of offset and extra blade length in the longer irons. My pro is on staff and he got a full set of TCBs. They feel basically the same as the XFCB IMO, but look far better in the short irons. The sole grinds are the same except for a small chamfer of maybe 2mm on the trailing edge.

So I had him order 8-PW, AW in TCB...but Callaway said no, only full 4-PW. Has anyone else had luck ordering single irons or a partial set?

If not, does anyone have pics comparing the Apex MBs and the TCBs? I'm specifically looking for a comparison of the sole grinds. The XFCB/TCB grind is perfect for me. I don't care for the grind on the Apex Pros. If the MBs have the XFCB/TCB grind I'll just grab short iron MBs.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, macnewma said:

I'm currently in a set of XFCB that I very much enjoy except for the offset in the 8-PW. I like a bit of offset and extra blade length in the longer irons. My pro is on staff and he got a full set of TCBs. They feel basically the same as the XFCB IMO, but look far better in the short irons. The sole grinds are the same except for a small chamfer of maybe 2mm on the trailing edge.

So I had him order 8-PW, AW in TCB...but Callaway said no, only full 4-PW. Has anyone else had luck ordering single irons or a partial set?

If not, does anyone have pics comparing the Apex MBs and the TCBs? I'm specifically looking for a comparison of the sole grinds. The XFCB/TCB grind is perfect for me. I don't care for the grind on the Apex Pros. If the MBs have the XFCB/TCB grind I'll just grab short iron MBs.

My Rep said I need to get 3-pw. No AW.  I am interested to see if anyone was able to get 4-AW or partial sets as well

1 minute ago, lbw121 said:

I ordered 4-7 from Callaway in XFCB and 8,9,P in TCB from Scottsdale Golf in UK. Didn’t cost any more than it would have come from Callaway if they offered it. 

Of course Callaway would do something that absurd. I'll see what I can do or I guess I will order through Scottsdale UK.

6 minutes ago, lbw121 said:

I ordered 4-7 from Callaway in XFCB and 8,9,P in TCB from Scottsdale Golf in UK. Didn’t cost any more than it would have come from Callaway if they offered it. 

4 minutes ago, macnewma said:

Of course Callaway would do something that absurd. I'll see what I can do or I guess I will order through Scottsdale UK.

Why is absurd for a company to only offer a limited run product in one set configuration? You think they want a bunch of 3 and 4 irons left over?

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

53 minutes ago, noodle3872 said:

Why is absurd for a company to only offer a limited run product in one set configuration? You think they want a bunch of 3 and 4 irons left over?

The absurdity is that it isn't limited production. It is retail in Europe and only limited to 4-P in the US. So I can order irons from the UK, skipping over my pro to whom I'm very loyal, has been on Callaway staff for a decade and sells lots of Callaway gear. I would understand it if this wasn't a US company and there was some weird tariff reason but that isn't the case here.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, macnewma said:

The absurdity is that it isn't limited production. It is retail in Europe and only limited to 4-P in the US. So I can order irons from the UK, skipping over my pro to whom I'm very loyal, has been on Callaway staff for a decade and sells lots of Callaway gear. I would understand it if this wasn't a US company and there was some weird tariff reason but that isn't the case here.

It’s not a retail product in Europe. It’s custom only with limited sets available just like in NA. The difference being the UK being able to modify set composition. 

I appreciate and understand your point on loyalty to your Pro and Callaway being a US based company but the situation is what it is. Do what you need to do to get the set you want. I’m sure your Pro will understand.  

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

15 hours ago, noodle3872 said:

It’s not a retail product in Europe. It’s custom only with limited sets available just like in NA. The difference being the UK being able to modify set composition. 

I appreciate and understand your point on loyalty to your Pro and Callaway being a US based company but the situation is what it is. Do what you need to do to get the set you want. I’m sure your Pro will understand.  

I guess it depends on what is meant by "retail". I don't know if it is being stocked in stores in Europe. The difference is that in the US it is this "you gotta know somebody" or backdoor unadvertised deal. Even with the Epic Speed Triple Diamond they have produced marketing material.

In Europe it is on their corporate website and sold through retailer websites. In the US Callaway has not publicly acknowledged they exist and now won't offer partial sets unlike Europe. They ship from the same factory.

It makes no sense and does a disservice to their retail and club pro partners.

22 hours ago, macnewma said:

Not TRUE...you can order 3-PW in the U.S., or even 3-AW if it’s your fancy.. just need to ask the question and/or find the right club maker/fitter.

I believe Fairway Golf USA shows 3-PW as an option on their website.  You can also check with Peoples Golf or JDS Clubs.  Prices can very based upon supply/demand.  I must admit ordering from Scottsdale Golf UK was extremely easy as they were the first ones to offer online retail ordering.  There are multiple choices now...

D37FDAB2-7CE8-4BD4-A5B8-B200A044C10E.png

• Like 2

Just got shipping confirmation! That's a pretty quick turn around for a custom build. They didn't have the grips I wanted so they're just shipping with stock grips in the box uninstalled.

I'll be posting pics once they arrive!

• Like 1

D | Stealth+ - 9* - Ventus TR Black - 7 (X)
3 | Rogue ST LS - 15* - Ventus Blue - 7 (X)

U | Srixon ZX - 18* - Modus 3 Hybrid (X)
I  | Callaway Apex TCB 4-PW - Nippon Tour Proto (X)
W| Vokey SM8 - 50F/54M/58T - TT DG TI (S400)
P | Your guess is as good as mine!

I put my TCB 4-P order in yesterday. Let the (hopefully short) wait begin!

Titleist 716 T-MB 3i PX 
Titleist T100 '21 4-9 PX
Bettinardi BB-8W

Chrome Soft X LS

On 4/24/2021 at 2:33 PM, uscgolfguy said:

Not TRUE...you can order 3-PW in the U.S., or even 3-AW if it’s your fancy.. just need to ask the question and/or find the right club maker/fitter.

I believe Fairway Golf USA shows 3-PW as an option on their website.  You can also check with Peoples Golf or JDS Clubs.  Prices can very based upon supply/demand.  I must admit ordering from Scottsdale Golf UK was extremely easy as they were the first ones to offer online retail ordering.  There are multiple choices now...

I was referring to them requiring ordering 4-P at a minimum. I'm looking for 8-aw and they won't do it in the US. I'm probably going to have to buy from the UK.

4 minutes ago, toddmanley said:

Did you order via Fairway Golf?  I'm not familiar with them or their build quality.

No, I ordered from Callaway through the pro shop at my club. 

Titleist 716 T-MB 3i PX 
Titleist T100 '21 4-9 PX
Bettinardi BB-8W

Chrome Soft X LS

I'm currently playing the Apex Pro '21 but these look really good.  Has anyone had luck picking up the TCB's with a lighter-weight option? 

I'm curious because given my height I play +1.5" and being able to play a lighter head TCB would be a great option.  I had previously heard the weight changing options are pretty much tour-only but figured there might be a WRX'er who might have some insights.

-Thanks, Todd

46 minutes ago, toddmanley said:

I'm currently playing the Apex Pro '21 but these look really good.  Has anyone had luck picking up the TCB's with a lighter-weight option? 

I'm curious because given my height I play +1.5" and being able to play a lighter head TCB would be a great option.  I had previously heard the weight changing options are pretty much tour-only but figured there might be a WRX'er who might have some insights.

-Thanks, Todd

I ordered mine at +1.5" as well and my understanding is they'll put the lighter weight in the port to accommodate the extra length. Haven't confirmed yet but once I get them I'll reply here!

• Like 1

On 4/24/2021 at 1:33 PM, uscgolfguy said:

Confused on the offset on this picture. On Callaways Japan site there less?  What am I missing?  

31A3BB2A-B882-4F0F-9BE6-CAFBAA0B327E.png

1 minute ago, Rogtsaamokin66 said:

Confused on the offset on this picture. On Callaways Japan site there less?  What am I missing?  

31A3BB2A-B882-4F0F-9BE6-CAFBAA0B327E.png

I think fairway golf’s pic is in mm and the Japan site is listed in inches. 

• Thanks 1

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

9 hours ago, uscgolfguy said:

Why would you want 8-AW, only in the TCB?

Because I currently have xforged cb that I very much like in the long and mid irons. In the mid and long irons the offset isn't objectionable in the xfcb but I do like the longer blade length. Starting with the 8 and especially in the 9, p and a the offset is crazy and I don't need the extra blade length.

So my options are stick to xfcb, combo with Apex mb purchased in the US or combo with TCB purchased in the UK.

The TCB isn't a limited release in Europe, just the US. Which is plainly stupid on Callaway's part.

On 4/14/2021 at 12:02 PM, uscgolfguy said:

Here you go...

21745C3C-8859-4AE9-9BD3-6C5D7D8AD9A8.jpeg

BFB46F50-3A05-4CB3-AD1F-6D6263696FE0.jpeg

0B0D23F1-24DE-47C4-8930-DFAE1F6EBE40.jpeg

28D0E04C-94C6-477F-B9D4-7F7358DBAB74.jpeg

15925F97-5242-4453-9E01-D574C1BA0984.jpeg

EACC8DE6-FAB7-4948-8C8E-7B50C4D07FB6.jpeg

073172F5-774A-42B0-AA64-B503FF4BE4D1.jpeg

Almost identical to the Dots from last year shape wise. Callaway has a funny way of blending offset at the hosel that makes it look more substantial than it is. Realistically, it's inoffensive but I do like the address look of the T100 better - basically a helpful iron disguised as an MB. 

This iron should just be the X-forged. They're so close I feel like there's no point in both. The "Apex" badging looks better than that of the X-forged that's about it. 

• Like 2

1 week from order date to showing up on my doorstep.

PW and 5i really quick before I can take more. Any requests for photos?

These things are svelte and gorgeous. That top line is anything but chunky.

21E369C1-C782-4A89-B218-D527C8C3FFAE.jpeg

75909950-F9FA-4A89-9BB2-592DABE9D25B.jpeg

1A36ADB9-7143-4468-9653-9EC5BCD90CB6.jpeg

• Like 4