Callaway Apex TCB - U.S. Release???

uscgolfguy

Does anyone here have overlength specs and had clubs built up with the lighter weights?  While I put my order in 5 weeks ago, with the need for +1.5", I'm not 100% sure they lightest weight will be used as part of the build.  Just in case I've found a boutique shop that can make the swap in case I need to make the change.

2 hours ago, toddmanley said:

Does anyone here have overlength specs and had clubs built up with the lighter weights?  While I put my order in 5 weeks ago, with the need for +1.5", I'm not 100% sure they lightest weight will be used as part of the build.  Just in case I've found a boutique shop that can make the swap in case I need to make the change.

Mine are +1.5" as well and I ended up swapping shafts to a bit lighter weight Nippon and we ended up around D7 with a Z Cord Midsize grip. A bit heavier than I would like, I may end up pulling the badges out of the cavities to see if that frees up a bit more weight like I did on my old X-Forged.

D | Stealth+ - 9* - Ventus TR Black - 7 (X)
3 | Rogue ST LS - 15* - Ventus Blue - 7 (X)

U | Srixon ZX - 18* - Modus 3 Hybrid (X)
I  | Callaway Apex TCB 4-PW - Nippon Tour Proto (X)
W| Vokey SM8 - 50F/54M/58T - TT DG TI (S400)
P | Your guess is as good as mine!

4 hours ago, hooperpsu said:

Mine are +1.5" as well and I ended up swapping shafts to a bit lighter weight Nippon and we ended up around D7 with a Z Cord Midsize grip. A bit heavier than I would like, I may end up pulling the badges out of the cavities to see if that frees up a bit more weight like I did on my old X-Forged.

Have you removed the weight from the club and weighed it?  Earlier in this post I believe someone said the following:

17g - standard stock

12g - light offering

22g - heavy offering

15 minutes ago, toddmanley said:

Have you removed the weight from the club and weighed it?  Earlier in this post I believe someone said the following:

17g - standard stock

12g - light offering

22g - heavy offering

They're the 12g's.

D | Stealth+ - 9* - Ventus TR Black - 7 (X)
3 | Rogue ST LS - 15* - Ventus Blue - 7 (X)

U | Srixon ZX - 18* - Modus 3 Hybrid (X)
I  | Callaway Apex TCB 4-PW - Nippon Tour Proto (X)
W| Vokey SM8 - 50F/54M/58T - TT DG TI (S400)
P | Your guess is as good as mine!

Do these come finished or raw?  Was going to go Ping i59, but sounds like that was pushed to 2022

GAMER SETUP:

Callaway AiSmoke TD 8* @ 7* | Tour AD HD 7s 

Callaway AiSmoke TD 3W | Denali Black 6.0 70g

TaylorMade SIM Ti 5W | Tour AD TP 7s

Callaway Apex Black 4-P | Nippon Modus 120 S +1"

Titleist 48* @ 49* Vokey SM9 | Nippon Modus 120 S +1”

Titleist 54* @ 55* Vokey SM9 | Nippon Modus 120 S +1”

Titleist 58* @ 59* Vokey SM9 | Nippon Modus 120 S +1”

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 | 36" - 71* - 3.5*

2 hours ago, lakecowboy said:

Do these come finished or raw?  Was going to go Ping i59, but sounds like that was pushed to 2022

Both finishes available.  Raw more difficult to find.

• Like 2

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

59 minutes ago, Mookieb10 said:

This is a bit of a remote comparison, but can somebody compare the sole width and top line between the TCB’s and the Callaway Legacy Blacks? 

There are some pics earlier in this thread with a side-by-side vs. Legacy Blacks. 

10 hours ago, davo32683 said:

How’s the lead edge on these? Turf interaction?

I loved the turf interaction on them. I have played a MP59/69 combo set for the last ~9 years, which is definitely a pretty low bounce set and I'd describe as very nimble through turf. TCBs were similarly nimble, a bit more bounce but super versatile. Leading edge has a tiny bit of relief, but enough crispness to dig a ball out of heavier grass and to make really clean contact. I'd say the sole overall is and plays narrower than it comes across in photos. 

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎 9* @8, Diamana BF 60
Titleist TS3 15*, EvenFlow White T1100 75
Titleist TS2 HY 19* @18, EvenFlow White 90
Titleist 716 T-MB 3i PX 
Titleist T100 '21 4-9 PX
Vokey SM8 Jet Black 46.10, 50.08 @51
Cleveland RTX6 Tour Rack 57*
Bettinardi BB-8W

Chrome Soft X LS

1st round was very enjoyable, to me they were easier to hit than the APEX 21 combo and much better turf interaction. The Catalyst 100 stiff shafts felt great and when I made a proper swing I felt them unloading which was nice. Ball flight was higher than the APEX 21 combo pretty much though the set (more spin maybe) and distance wise pulled the same number and got the same distance. Small sample and more time needed, but a promising start.

Callaway Smoke Max 10.5 GD AD VF 6s

Titleist TSR 2 16.5 GD AD UB 7s

Titleist TSR 2 21 GD AD DI 8x

Callaway APEX Pro / CB  4-11 PX IO 5.5 

Callaway full toe 54* PX IO  6.5

Callaway full toe 58* PX IO 6.5

SLED # 1  35.5

21 hours ago, Jim53 said:

Ordered 8 days ago and in the bag today. They hit the SW dead on and length is correct. The shop checkedbthe PW, 8 and 6 all spot on ordered specs.

16234323981303021577857196649804.jpg

Good deal. What shafts, grips did you order? I am hoping for a quick TAT like yours. I ordered mine June 3. Gave my club 3 shaft options to help expedite the order/ensure they had something in stock for the build. 

I see now your ordered Catalyst shafts. 

Edited by PingMan2015

2 hours ago, PingMan2015 said:

Good deal. What shafts, grips did you order? I am hoping for a quick TAT like yours. I ordered mine June 3. Gave my club 3 shaft options to help expedite the order/ensure they had something in stock for the build. 

I see now your ordered Catalyst shafts. 

Catalyst 100 stiff with winn dri tac midsize

SLED # 1  35.5

On 6/2/2021 at 7:31 AM, PingMan2015 said:

I need one of those two sets!!! 😂😂😂 Love the TCB’s and Apex MB’s. They look amazing!

Thanks, I ended up moving the raw TCB's and decided to stick with just my Apex MBs.  My swing is better suited for the thinner sole.  

• Like 1

Titleist             TSR3 10* w/ Tensei 1k white
Callaway       Apex 19' 3 hybrid w/ Nippon GOST tour stiff

NCW                Tour Department DW mid muscle MB 4-PW w/ Modus 105 S
Vokey            SM8 50f, 56s, 60m
Bettinardi       Studio Stock 17

Mini review Apex TCB vs Ping S55.  

Golfer:     Old fat guy, GHIN index ranges from  3 - 6, putting dependent.  Was once a decent plus handicapper, but that was in the last century, wooden clubs and all.  Primarily a Blade player until about 12 years ago.  Ball speed on driver now down to 160 on a good one.  Dropped down from X shafts a decade ago.  Goal is to shoot my age within 5 or 6 years.  I do walk for all rounds. 

I have played the TCB’s for about 8 rounds now.  Played S55’s for several years.  Both sets have Steelfiber i95 S.  Had TI S400 in the TCB, but after 2 rounds tendinitis started returning, so reverted back to graphite.   

Club head size & lofts very similar.  TCB a little stronger in the 4 and 5 irons.  Soles a little less diggy than the S55, which helps with my steep swing.  4-5-6 irons more forgiving with TCB, short irons about the same for both.  Exception, s55s are more forgiving on low toe strikes.  Heel and toe strikes that are not thin, fly very  well and close to full yardages.   Irons go from “butter” to  “clicky” on heel or toe Mis-hits.  The difference in feel on  good strike vs miss is greater in the TCB vs S55.  TCBs seem a half club longer for no good reason, but it has been very hot.  Very workable, on par with the S55.  Hitting 4 iron high or flighting down a 9 iron, not a problem with either set.  Gapping at stock lofts very good. For me it starts at about 12 yards between 9 & PW and goes to about 15 yards between 4-5 iron.  (PW 130, 9 142 carry). (5 iron 190, 4 iron 205 carry). 4 iron forgiving and versatile.  Off a tee with a draw it can be 220 + carry, low bullets under tree limbs easy peasy as I have to hit that shot way too often.  All in all, very satisfied, not a super demanding club to hit, on a Par with S55.   I hope they can stay in the bag as long as the S55s did.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Great review @Yuck  The s55’s are incredible irons and this says a lot about the tcb’s.  I had the double dots 2 seasons ago and am curious how similar or what changes were made to the tcb.  

Mizuno   STZ 230 9.5*   Tensei Raw White 65x

Taylormade   Tour Issue Stealth  3 HL Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5

Taylormade   Stealth+ 5w   Diamana OG Kai’Li 70x  

Wilson   Staff CB 7-P / D9 Forged 5-6  Modus 120x

Vokey   Sm8 50, Sm10 54s bent to 55, Sm10 60s all custom ground 

Bettinardi  Custom BB46

Srixon Z Star 💎  OR   Bridgestone Tour B X 

For a point of reference in my game until a few months ago I played to a pretty solid traveling 9 now a shakey 13 even on familar Courses, all due to varied health problems.

I have no trouble at all hitting the TCB for my current ability, I do feel if I get myself straightened out these will allow me to get the cap back down to sub 10. Never being one to work the ball much left or right, flighting the ball seemed to be quite easy in the one round I have played so far. 

I do find the TCB didn't appear to want to go left as easily as the APEX 21 combo did but perhaps that is shaft related and just the honeymoon round easy swing.

SLED # 1  35.5

Have a set of lefty TCB's ordered and due in later this week.  Something caught my eye when I was looking at lefty vs. righty TCB.  Are the weights that are mentioned above RH or LH specific?  They look like the way they fit are quite different with the geometry of the club.  Add that to another lefty issue on the club fitting spectrum.  Any insight on this would be helpful.

1A0E006C-FC3C-4D18-B729-DB7BDA4C07D7-1024x768.jpeg

6A19A324-41B6-4D48-8E26-5222D109FABD-1024x768.jpeg

1 hour ago, Scott0000 said:

Have a set of lefty TCB's ordered and due in later this week.  Something caught my eye when I was looking at lefty vs. righty TCB.  Are the weights that are mentioned above RH or LH specific?  They look like the way they fit are quite different with the geometry of the club.  Add that to another lefty issue on the club fitting spectrum.  Any insight on this would be helpful.

1A0E006C-FC3C-4D18-B729-DB7BDA4C07D7-1024x768.jpeg

6A19A324-41B6-4D48-8E26-5222D109FABD-1024x768.jpeg

Out of curiosity, I loaded each in photoshop and layered the right hand version of an inverted copy of the left hand version.  They appear to be almost identical.  With any difference more than likely being due to the angle that the picture was taken.  The last image is the right hand version imposed over the left with the opacity dragged down to give an idea.  Hard to tell though.  But, when I toggle that layer off and on, they're almost spot on.

image.png.a14fd359aaf14f813d46d363a2a26741.png

image.png.e7d6b04e4ad096eba0c536794f8961ef.png

image.png.6b15f7716e9611d9720d7b6f9cceacec.png

• Like 2

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

I just ordered these yesterday after a 2 hour fitting 

I’ve been playing Ping Blueprints with Nippon 105x hard stepped twice for last 2 years , my miss is low off the toe - which causes me to lose massive amounts of yardage generally 

I actually went into the store to buy a set of 921 tours , we did a shaft optimizer which suggested PX 6.5 , $-Taper S , X100 , Kbs Tour X

unfortunately not every shaft was available in both heads , the X100s had great feel and good numbers in both heads , but mishits would increase spin significantly 

the $ taper my spin was outrageous , this was indoor on a GCQUAD - my numbers were 7800 on the low end with a 7i and 9800 on the high end

PX 6.5 in both heads seemed to produce best results , the JPX were definitely the spinnier of the heads and felt terrific , 

the TCB on the other hand , I could basically hit them anywhere that wasn’t the Hosel and my distance numbers and spin were almost identical , yes the launch would go down and carry slightly but the total distance would be off by , maybe 5 yards

we hit probably 65 balls with the PX 6.5 combo in the TCBs and I had about a 10 yard total dispersion on the launch monitor , it was terrific - I’m super excited to get these. 

my specs are gonna be 4 TCB UT , 5-PW 6.5 +.5” , .5* upright , I did a lie test off my current pings , bent one half a degree up and my 5yard cut turned into almost dead straight

callaway rep said they should be about 4 weeks leadtime on this set 

2 hours ago, GolfyMcWhacker'Guy said:

I just ordered these yesterday after a 2 hour fitting 

I’ve been playing Ping Blueprints with Nippon 105x hard stepped twice for last 2 years , my miss is low off the toe - which causes me to lose massive amounts of yardage generally 

I actually went into the store to buy a set of 921 tours , we did a shaft optimizer which suggested PX 6.5 , $-Taper S , X100 , Kbs Tour X

unfortunately not every shaft was available in both heads , the X100s had great feel and good numbers in both heads , but mishits would increase spin significantly 

the $ taper my spin was outrageous , this was indoor on a GCQUAD - my numbers were 7800 on the low end with a 7i and 9800 on the high end

PX 6.5 in both heads seemed to produce best results , the JPX were definitely the spinnier of the heads and felt terrific , 

the TCB on the other hand , I could basically hit them anywhere that wasn’t the Hosel and my distance numbers and spin were almost identical , yes the launch would go down and carry slightly but the total distance would be off by , maybe 5 yards

we hit probably 65 balls with the PX 6.5 combo in the TCBs and I had about a 10 yard total dispersion on the launch monitor , it was terrific - I’m super excited to get these. 

my specs are gonna be 4 TCB UT , 5-PW 6.5 +.5” , .5* upright , I did a lie test off my current pings , bent one half a degree up and my 5yard cut turned into almost dead straight

callaway rep said they should be about 4 weeks leadtime on this set 

Nice! I ordered my set mid April and still waiting... Apparently grips were backordered (TV Cord) and now that grips are in, the shafts (DG120 S400) are backordered. What's the TCB UT? 

2 hours ago, danielwkelliher said:

Nice! I ordered my set mid April and still waiting... Apparently grips were backordered (TV Cord) and now that grips are in, the shafts (DG120 S400) are backordered. What's the TCB UT? 

DG120 S400 has been mega backordered.

I had an order in for TCB (also placed mid-April) with DG120 S400 and also separately ordered loose shafts so I could get my existing 3i and GW to match the irons. With no clear path to any of the shafts coming in soon, I canceled both orders 10 days or so ago and I'll revisit next year. I'm past the point in my season where I really want to work in a new set of irons. 

I am a Lamkin cord guy so apparently I did not have any issues on grips 😀

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎 9* @8, Diamana BF 60
Titleist TS3 15*, EvenFlow White T1100 75
Titleist TS2 HY 19* @18, EvenFlow White 90
Titleist 716 T-MB 3i PX 
Titleist T100 '21 4-9 PX
Vokey SM8 Jet Black 46.10, 50.08 @51
Cleveland RTX6 Tour Rack 57*
Bettinardi BB-8W

Chrome Soft X LS

21 hours ago, radiman said:

Out of curiosity, I loaded each in photoshop and layered the right hand version of an inverted copy of the left hand version.  They appear to be almost identical.  With any difference more than likely being due to the angle that the picture was taken.  The last image is the right hand version imposed over the left with the opacity dragged down to give an idea.  Hard to tell though.  But, when I toggle that layer off and on, they're almost spot on.

image.png.a14fd359aaf14f813d46d363a2a26741.png

image.png.e7d6b04e4ad096eba0c536794f8961ef.png

image.png.6b15f7716e9611d9720d7b6f9cceacec.png

Interesting.  You really went all in with that, I appreciate it. 

I guess what I'm asking is will a RH weight fit a LH head.  Which the video somewhat answers with the way Callaway labels the weight. 

"3-7 LGT 12g RH"

Capture.JPG

3 hours ago, danielwkelliher said:

The TCB utility iron , it looks like the regular TCB but I believe it’s hollow , I hit the 19* one and ordered the 24* to match the set 

• Like 1