2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Callaway Apex TCB - U.S. Release???

uscgolfguy

These irons are amazing, 2nd round today and shot the best score of the last 4 months. The control with the Catalyst 100 6.0 irons is spot on, distance is the same as I was getting with the APEX pro 21 combo but so much more accurate for me. If the putter had been hot it could have been PB round, only converted 1 birdie and had reasonable looks on a lot of holes.

Stupid game, the Driver and irons were working and the person holding the putter just choked on too many really makeable putts. Only birdie was a 50 ft putt, but it was a blast having some looks again.

• Like 2

Callaway Smoke Max 10.5 GD AD VF 6s

Titleist TSR 2 16.5 GD AD UB 7s

Titleist TSR 2 21 GD AD DI 8x

Callaway APEX Pro / CB  4-11 PX IO 5.5 

Callaway full toe 54* PX IO  6.5

Callaway full toe 58* PX IO 6.5

SLED # 1  35.5

10 minutes ago, Jim53 said:

These irons are amazing, 2nd round today and shot the best score of the last 4 months. The control with the Catalyst 100 6.0 irons is spot on, distance is the same as I was getting with the APEX pro 21 combo but so much more accurate for me. If the putter had been hot it could have been PB round, only converted 1 birdie and had reasonable looks on a lot of holes.

Stupid game, the Driver and irons were working and the person holding the putter just choked on too many really makeable putts. Only birdie was a 50 ft putt, but it was a blast having some looks again.

Couldn't agree more. These are solid sticks!

D | Stealth+ - 9* - Ventus TR Black - 7 (X)
3 | Rogue ST LS - 15* - Ventus Blue - 7 (X)

U | Srixon ZX - 18* - Modus 3 Hybrid (X)
I  | Callaway Apex TCB 4-PW - Nippon Tour Proto (X)
W| Vokey SM8 - 50F/54M/58T - TT DG TI (S400)
P | Your guess is as good as mine!

I really thought my iron game was gone, could not hit a green to save my life with the APEX combo. Par 3's were terrifying hook city. Missed only one today, pin high but just pulled it a bit not an all out hook. Maybe its the shafts being a better fit helping, but the smaller head and maybe the bit less offset is just better for me. 

Such a good feeling to stand over an iron shot and actually knowing it is going where I am aiming, had a nice tight draw working and it seemed easy to just hit the number. Maybe the unicorns have found their home. 

SLED # 1  35.5

Wow!

What an iron the TCB is, I had a fitting day yesterday and really wanted to hit the MB's. The Callaway rep unfortunately didn't have a demo MB but handed me this. He does know me pretty well and has fit me numerous times so knows my preference for a an iron with traditional lofts, great feel and a compact look. Only got to hit with the LS shaft which probably wouldn't be my first choice but could do everything with this iron. I will be keeping an eye out for a used set to play around with in the future.

Callaway.jpg

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Taylormade Stealth Pro
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix

Another very impressive round this morning, I was not as sharp mentally but the irons delivered when I got out of my own way. Played a very short but tight course with water on 15 holes, hit the 4 iron off the tee and deck several times and it is strangely easy to hit.

It is small and looking down at it I had my doubts I could elevate it with any consistency, but all the shots came off very nicely and off a tee I was seeing in the 200-210 range which is very good for me. Even off the deck I saw pretty good mid flight and not the raw stinger I was hitting with the APEX 4 iron. 

Being a short course I got some work with the AW and PW today and again found them very easy to play, these clubs are not just for low cappers imo. If you like a smaller head and a fairly sharp leading edge they are just about perfect. A couple of bad decisions and piss poor Drives cost me another sub 80 round (81 today, 76 Friday) but at least I am getting birdie looks again. 

• Like 1

SLED # 1  35.5

It must be the irons!! Lol. For some reason I just can’t root for that dumpy looking guy, but man is he sharp. Even with all the fantastic players on tour now, he looks to be one of the few guys who can occasionally go out and grab victory on the back nine on Sunday as opposed to the majority who need a win to fall into their lap. 

On 6/7/2021 at 10:10 PM, toddmanley said:

Thanks - my set will be built up with MMT 105tx's and hopefully will get me into the D6/7 range.  I'm currently playing Apex Pro 21's with DG X100 and they're are around E0 to E3!!!

The set arrived today and I only had the chance to hit the 5iron in the backyard and weigh the club.  Man does this combo feel good - been missing what it feels like to hit a club that has a better forged feeling than the Apex Pro '21.  And given these were a +1.5" build I was really excited to see the set hit D7 across the set - a big improvement from the 5iron Apex Pro '21 which was E2.

I'll probably find some time in the next week to do an A/B comparison of both sets of irons and share the findings.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, toddmanley said:

The set arrived today and I only had the chance to hit the 5iron in the backyard and weigh the club.  Man does this combo feel good - been missing what it feels like to hit a club that has a better forged feeling than the Apex Pro '21.  And given these were a +1.5" build I was really excited to see the set hit D7 across the set - a big improvement from the 5iron Apex Pro '21 which was E2.

I'll probably find some time in the next week to do an A/B comparison of both sets of irons and share the findings.

Congrats! Mine were all spot on at D7 as well at +1.5". 

I'm pretty sure the badging in the back is removable so I may pull that off and see if that can save a SW point...love the sticks though and I'm sure you'll love them just the same!

• Like 1

D | Stealth+ - 9* - Ventus TR Black - 7 (X)
3 | Rogue ST LS - 15* - Ventus Blue - 7 (X)

U | Srixon ZX - 18* - Modus 3 Hybrid (X)
I  | Callaway Apex TCB 4-PW - Nippon Tour Proto (X)
W| Vokey SM8 - 50F/54M/58T - TT DG TI (S400)
P | Your guess is as good as mine!

47 minutes ago, SMUGamer said:

Haven't read the entire thread so this may have been covered. When you wash these club heads, isn't water going to get behind the weights and cause rusting, if you don't take them off each time you wash the heads? Seems extremely time consuming and high maintenance, if so. 

Who has the time to even come up with this???  Isn't that what a caddie and tour van is for???  

I usually throw my sets away after each round...

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, SMUGamer said:

Haven't read the entire thread so this may have been covered. When you wash these club heads, isn't water going to get behind the weights and cause rusting, if you don't take them off each time you wash the heads? Seems extremely time consuming and high maintenance, if so. 

No...there is a rubber seal to keep that from happening!

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

53 minutes ago, jkim said:

Does anyone know how these compare to Mizuno MP 64?   Would these be too much club compared to the 64s?

Been many years since I played MP 64’s, but I do not consider the TCB’s terribly demanding to play.  Came from Ping S55’s,  played Titleist CB back in 2016, and 2009 xforged.  These are not any smaller or unforgiving than those.  Just get the right shafts, and the lofts should be real close to the MP64’s.

note,  I really never have played any larger headed irons other than the original AP2

7 minutes ago, BirdieBob said:

No...there is a rubber seal to keep that from happening!

Figured, smart engineers would consider......

59 minutes ago, uscgolfguy said:

Who has the time to even come up with this???  Isn't that what a caddie and tour van is for???  

I usually throw my sets away after each round...

High IQ's required, you need not concern yourself with such......😉😂

12 minutes ago, Yuck said:

Been many years since I played MP 64’s, but I do not consider the TCB’s terribly demanding to play.  Came from Ping S55’s,  played Titleist CB back in 2016, and 2009 xforged.  These are not any smaller or unforgiving than those.  Just get the right shafts, and the lofts should be real close to the MP64’s.

note,  I really never have played any larger headed irons other than the original AP2

Thanks.  Shaft is the hard part.  Currently playing Recoil Proto F4.  Would like to go a bit lighter.  Thinking Modus 105.  Will have to try find some clubs with that shaft to hit.

48 minutes ago, Mookieb10 said:

Now available directly from the website...

https://www.callawaygolf.com/golf-clubs/iron-sets/irons-2021-apex-tcb.html

you probably don’t care, but I’ll be ordering some tomorrow. 4-p with MMT 105’s. 

3DA97479-333E-4C51-9E50-BBF791032C03.png

The fact that these were not available regularly this whole time was a big head scratcher for me.  To me, the X Forged CB kind of fit a small niche.  Players CB characteristics in a package with massive offset and a long blade length.  The TCB are definitely more in line with what I (and others I have shown them to) would consider a classic players CB.  Honestly, I personally think these should have been released with the rest of the Apex line and the X Forged CB could probably have just been scrapped.  But, all that aside.  I am glad that these are going to be more widely available.  They really are fantastic irons.  

• Like 1

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Unfortunate that individual irons cannot be ordered like they can in the UK.

• Like 2

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

Figured it was a good time to dig into these as they are BY FAR the most asked about iron in our line. Earlier this year I broke down our player’s irons (see link below) and I briefly went into TCB. With Rahmbo’s win at Torrey, it’s time to dig into these a little further.

101: The Apex TCB W/ Tour Gallery

101: The Apex TCB w/ Tour Gallery – World of Wunder (callawaygolf.com)

Edited by BirdieBob

They are working on the site. I was told only 100 sets will be available. Keep checking the site in the next few days for updates. I have also heard the Triple Diamond heads could also be listed as well. 

No VIP for either item for guys who know what that is 

• Sad 1

[size=3][b][color=#696969][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TM M3 440 - MCA Tensei Pro Orange 60TX[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]CALLAWAY Rogue 15 - [/font][/color][color=#696969][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]MCA Tensei Pro Orange 70TX[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]CALLAWAY Apex 20 - GD Tour AD DI Hybrid[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TM P790 4-PW - Modus 120s[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]FOURTEEN RM Tour Issue 50, 54, 60 - Modus Black 125[/font][/color][/b][/size][b]
[color=#696969][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]SCOTTY CAMERON Custom Mid Slant 009 Tour[/font][/color][/b]
[b][size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]IG: dphatt[/font][/size][/b]

9 hours ago, radiman said:

The fact that these were not available regularly this whole time was a big head scratcher for me.  To me, the X Forged CB kind of fit a small niche.  Players CB characteristics in a package with massive offset and a long blade length.  The TCB are definitely more in line with what I (and others I have shown them to) would consider a classic players CB.  Honestly, I personally think these should have been released with the rest of the Apex line and the X Forged CB could probably have just been scrapped.  But, all that aside.  I am glad that these are going to be more widely available.  They really are fantastic irons.  

I don’t know, there are quite small margins between a great club and a “meh” club. All other iterations of X-forged have been well thought of. What is undeniable is that the TCB has a little magic to it right now. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mookieb10 said:

I don’t know, there are quite small margins between a great club and a “meh” club. All other iterations of X-forged have been well thought of. What is undeniable is that the TCB has a little magic to it right now. 

I've said it at the beginning...

A lot of head scratching with Callaway's range and releases at the beginning of the year, especially with the BIG signing of Rahm and everyone already having the TCB's in play...not a golf industry expert, but they certainly flooded the market with a "billion" versions of irons leading to confusion and probably upsetting a lot of consumers along the way.  Average Consumer mubbling inside his head, "I just bought the new set..can't wait to get them and play, wait what..your releasing another new newer set, only to find out you have an even newer new newer set which I can't have but everyone else is playing".... Buyer's remorse kicks in...

Glad I stumbled onto the TCB's, but it took a leap of faith.  

4 hours ago, Mookieb10 said:

Most definitely. Some of my favorite irons ever are x forged sets from years past. But, I feel like visually that line went away from what it once was. They didn’t have a players cb that could visually go toe to toe with the likes of the ZX7, 620CB, Mizuno JPX or MP, etc. at least until the TCB. 

Talked to a few people that didn’t like the xfcb and went with something else only to say they would have definitely put the TCB in the conversation after they saw my set. 

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS