2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

USKG Yardage Changes/Age Group Changes

darter79

For those that still play USKG have you heard about the new changes to locals and at least state. For state if you play 9 at locals you play 9 at state. I have not confirmed what if any changes will impact worlds and regionals. USKG has impacted the age group in yardages. 

Age Group Holes Tee Yardage
Boys 6U 9 RS 1200-1350
Boys 7 9 1 1500-1650
Boys 8 9 2 1800-1950
Boys 9 9 2 1800-1950
Boys 10  9 3 2100-2250
Boys 11 18 4 4800-5100
Boys 12 18 5 5400-5700
Boys 13-14 18 6 6000-6300
Boys 15-18 18 7 6600-6900
Girls 8U 9 RS 1200-1350
Girls 9-10 9 2 1800-1950
Girls 11-12 18 3 4200-4500
Girls 13- 14 18 4 4800-5100

Thoughts? What does everyone think about this?

Edited by darter79

I haven't been keeping track so I am not sure how much they changed from current yardages.  I feel these yardages are ok for the average kids  just starting out but short if you kid actually starts to play a lot. It been a while since I cared but they seem to be getting less and less.

For a girl 13-14  those yardages are crazy shor a lot them can drive the holes with a driver.  I wish they combined the ages and just had various tournaments for skill levels.

US Kids is still the best option for anyone with kids under 10 though.  My problem is the local US kid tour is crazy busy with Charlie Woods attending events. It pretty much means it's hard to play and I have to do a ton of planning around it. I did a few alternative events and even though I felt the yardage was long for my 9 year old it worked out ok.

• Like 1

As a 10YO, this winter season is our last USKG locals that we plan to play. We probably will play state and maybe a regional event here and there.  Bummer that the state/regional may only be 9 holes for 10YO boys.  Perhaps we might skip those as well until we are 11YO so that we can play 18 holes per day. 

We are moving on to JGANC (9/18 hole events)  and JTNC (36 hole events) in our area.  The one thing about USKG is the scheduling is easy because they are on the weekend 99.9% of the time. However, JTNC is also the weekend so away we go.

• Like 3

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

8-year-old girls playing 1350—>9-year-old girls playing 1950 seems like a big jump.  My daughter turned 9 in September, and most of her events were 1430-1560 in the 8-9 locals division.  I was looking forward to her playing the same division on the older side of that age range and having the chance to compete for podiums from the old yardages.  

Playing 1/3 longer distances, again on the lower end of the new 9-10 age range, definitely makes that goal harder here in south FL, but it is what it is.  She just has to get better and longer.  Boys yardages look the same for my son’s ages groups.

26 minutes ago, MB19 said:

8-year-old girls playing 1350—>9-year-old girls playing 1950 seems like a big jump.  My daughter turned 9 in September, and most of her events were 1430-1560 in the 8-9 locals division.  I was looking forward to her playing the same division on the older side of that age range and having the chance to compete for podiums from the old yardages.  

Playing 1/3 longer distances, again on the lower end of the new 9-10 age range, definitely makes that goal harder here in south FL, but it is what it is.  She just has to get better and longer.  Boys yardages look the same for my son’s ages groups.

These yardages do not seem that long to me. 1950 yards means probaly 200-225 par 4. 1300 yards are like 125 yard holes.   Some kids can hit a driver that age 135-150 yards easily maybe even more if there big for their age.

This is the biggest problem with US kids 100 yards is a great for a 9 year starting out. It's a huge problem for a girl who been playing since they are 5. It ends up being a contest on who can hit it the longest and with short yards it doesn't have to get in the air.

Some kids are just more in developed then others.  Also just play no need to worry about winning until you get to adult distances.

2 hours ago, Medson said:

Where is the above info coming from? 

I just visited U.S. Kids website and did not see any changes or proposals. 

The yardage seems too short. 

Uskg tour director if you check their site you see the mention it but page isn’t updated. 

https://foundation.uskidsgolf.com/tournaments/info/age-groups-and-yardages

6 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

These yardages do not seem that long to me. 1950 yards means probaly 200-225 par 4. 1300 yards are like 125 yard holes.   Some kids can hit a driver that age 135-150 yards easily maybe even more if there big for their age.

This is the biggest problem with US kids 100 yards is a great for a 9 year starting out. It's a huge problem for a girl who been playing since they are 5. It ends up being a contest on who can hit it the longest and with short yards it doesn't have to get in the air.

Some kids are just more in developed then others.  Also just play no need to worry about winning until you get to adult distances.

They are, essentially, what the girls play at Worlds at 9 IIRC.

Last year during locals par 4 were typically 150-180 yards for 8-9--driver, then wedge for my daughter most of the time last year.  225 is driver, then 6 or 8 for us--not terrible, but there's a difference.  My daughter would have loved to have played 1300 yards at 8 last year for sure, and I'm unclear why they have decided that 8-year-olds need to be moved back 200 yards in '21.

I'm sure some of us can remember pitching from 47' in baseball at 10 or 11, and then moving back to 53' at maybe 12 or 13...then to 60' in high school.  Yes, you eventually adapt to it--some faster than others.  The girls moving from 1300-1950 will be the ones who are really penalized by this next year.  I don't understand why they have to jump 600+/- yards from 8u to 9-10--that's a big jump.  I was definitely looking forward to my daughter potentially driving some greens on par 4s this year as an older kid in the now former 8-9 group.  Not the end of the world they changed yardages and age groups, just a little unfortunate for a kid entering her 2nd year of tournament play in one of the most competitive local tours in USKG.  I had no illusions of my daughter winning anything this year--just being on the older side of the age group and being bigger than most of the girls she faced.

I look forward to getting more clarity on the change. 

My daughter will turn 8 for next Local Tour season and is so looking forward to play in the (old) 8-9 yo yardage. The proposed 1350 yd is too short for 8 yo girls unless they just picked up the clubs. Most of 7 yo are already driving for 125-yd green. Imagine you play the same yardage as a 8 yo for an entire year. 

1 hour ago, Medson said:

I look forward to getting more clarity on the change. 

My daughter will turn 8 for next Local Tour season and is so looking forward to play in the (old) 8-9 yo yardage. The proposed 1350 yd is too short for 8 yo girls unless they just picked up the clubs. Most of 7 yo are already driving for 125-yd green. Imagine you play the same yardage as a 8 yo for an entire year. 

I'm sure they will send and or update that will get their reasons, and their site will be updated soon. But my theory is 8 was lumped into 8U due to low enrollment in 7U I know our local hasn't had a 7U in years. While I think the new 8U division is short and the 8 year old girls get the shorter end of the stick in terms of it being too short great experience to really learn to score.  

They might have done it for girls 11 to get them into 18 at the locals sooner vs age 12. They claim its more about longleaf tee system. When I called they confirmed state changes, but said nothing about worlds or regionals changing. The yardage jumps and in some cases the same for worlds is odd to me. Girls 9 its the same pretty much. But girls 8 1200 - 1800. Since worlds registration opens next week see if they adjust any worlds yards or not. 

17 minutes ago, darter79 said:

I'm sure they will send and or update that will get their reasons, and their site will be updated soon. But my theory is 8 was lumped into 8U due to low enrollment in 7U I know our local hasn't had a 7U in years. While I think the new 8U division is short and the 8 year old girls get the shorter end of the stick in terms of it being too short great experience to really learn to score.  

They might have done it for girls 11 to get them into 18 at the locals sooner vs age 12. They claim its more about longleaf tee system. When I called they confirmed state changes, but said nothing about worlds or regionals changing. The yardage jumps and in some cases the same for worlds is odd to me. Girls 9 its the same pretty much. But girls 8 1200 - 1800. Since worlds registration opens next week see if they adjust any worlds yards or not. 

I think your reasoning is very sound. I do think it is beneficial to get 11 yo girls into 18 holes. 

We are just disappointed in 8U age group since we are directly impacted. It is what it is. We still suck at golf whether it is long or short. 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, darter79 said:

From what I can tell there is a significant decline in girls under 12 over the last couple of years.   My girls are a little over 3 year apart and the difference in size of field is quite a bit.

I think it also has a direct effect on my youngers interest in golf.  My older one would love showing up to FJT events and there be 30 girls her age playing and always meet new girls. Now that same event is lucky to have 10-12 and it's the same girls she always plays with.  Local events like US kids has the same 3 or 4 girls instead of variety of kids.  

I think the solution is to play regionals US kids or just play more casual rounds until there older. 

Pretty sure I entered my daughter, who had just turned 9 at the time, into a local that had like 14 in the 8-9 division.  It was very typical to have 6 to 10 girls sign up in this division week-to-week... Space Coast closer to 6, Stuart closer to 10.  We are blessed to have large and competitive fields.  Same story with the 7 age group for boys.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MB19 said:

Pretty sure I entered my daughter, who had just turned 9 at the time, into a local that had like 14 in the 8-9 division.  It was very typical to have 6 to 10 girls sign up in this division week-to-week... Space Coast closer to 6, Stuart closer to 10.  We are blessed to have large and competitive fields.  Same story with the 7 age group for boys.

I couldn't get into the local one here in Palm Beach county during 2020 after covid. It was my fault because I didn't sign up early but because Tiger woods son was at bunch them it seemed like everyone was showing up at them to get a glimpse.  We played quite a bit prior to Charlie been a regular and the events didn't have a lot girls out there playing.

The FJT events though for 10-12 which is 36 holes has a lot less girls in them then they use to.  Heck even JGS looks like it declining on state level per grad year for between 2023-2026.

Since I have a older girl I look at lot at different areas of the country were we can travel with both kids and play.  It usually not too good for the younger one who still plays 9 holes.  Solution is to play 18 but she is just not ready for that.

28 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

I couldn't get into the local one here in Palm Beach county during 2020 after covid. It was my fault because I didn't sign up early but because Tiger woods son was at bunch them it seemed like everyone was showing up at them to get a glimpse.  We played quite a bit prior to Charlie been a regular and the events didn't have a lot girls out there playing.

The FJT events though for 10-12 which is 36 holes has a lot less girls in them then they use to.  Heck even JGS looks like it declining on state level per grad year for between 2023-2026.

Since I have a older girl I look at lot at different areas of the country were we can travel with both kids and play.  It usually not too good for the younger one who still plays 9 holes.  Solution is to play 18 but she is just not ready for that.

Certainly, different parts of FL draw much smaller fields for girls.  In the panhandle, for example, it's hard to get any kind of a full field unless it's a FJT or better event.

• Like 1

From a director this morning. Looks like he just copied the email....

"In response to the feedback we have received from directors and customers over the years, as well as the data we have collected, we will be implementing some changes starting with the Spring Tours. The changes will mostly impact the girls age groups, but in an effort to further align ourselves with the Longleaf Tee System, it’s important to review every age group thoroughly. Continuing to improve our consistency throughout the country is still the area of our business that gets highlighted the most.

You will notice some minor adjustments with age groups, number of holes, and tee number, but your focus needs to be on course setup. Now that the yardage is provided as a range, you must stay within the boundaries. You have plenty of wiggle-room to account for course difficulty, weather, strength of field, and any other factors you use when scaling every host facility."

3 hours ago, MB19 said:

since covid i see more and more young kids picking up the game in Northern CA - it's one of the few options kids have - Girls 8/9 fields here typically have approx 15 girls or so - I do like the longer yardages and also like that they get girls into 18 sooner I wish they had them into 18 at 10.  Girls 8 suffer but hey they are 8 so whatever (my daughter is 9 so works out good for us)

33 minutes ago, ncalgolf said:

since covid i see more and more young kids picking up the game in Northern CA - it's one of the few options kids have - Girls 8/9 fields here typically have approx 15 girls or so - I do like the longer yardages and also like that they get girls into 18 sooner I wish they had them into 18 at 10.  Girls 8 suffer but hey they are 8 so whatever (my daughter is 9 so works out good for us)

Glad to hear of big girls fields in NorCal!

You guys have mentioned CA and Florida probably the two biggest golf states. I'd bet you see a huge drop-off at 7U if you looked. When my daughter was in it the biggest it ever got was 5 once or twice. Mostly same 2/3 kids. Since she has moved on 7U hasn't had much life since. A few girls randomly but not much of one. I don't even think Texas last year had a girls 7U at state!  Overall I like it. Girls 8 the biggest looser of it, Girls 11 the biggest winner if you ask me since they get to jump into 18. I would have loved to see 10 in that but only because I'm at fan of playing 18 at worlds play it local. Now girls 10 is 9 at state but 18 at worlds and locals. 

• Like 3

1.) Girls 7u - I noticed that starting in spring, the girls age group changed - noteably Girls 7u is out and it is now Girls 8u.....maybe lack of participation?  My daughter (7) played her first tmnt last weekend (Witner season still) and had a great time.  She is very much a beginner, so I hope that her yardages dont increase much ...the 1,200 yards / 9 holes is perfect for her now.    

2.) 9 Holes at State - @darter79 where did you see 9 holes local is now going to be 9 holes at state?  My son is 10 through summer season.  The state is one we had pegged to go to (pending date) BECAUSE it is 18 holes.  

In general, I commend them for staying nimble and adjusting their system based on consumer feedback.  They changed the Priority Status system a year or so ago ...a change for the better IMO.  

55 minutes ago, hangontight said:

1.) Girls 7u - I noticed that starting in spring, the girls age group changed - noteably Girls 7u is out and it is now Girls 8u.....maybe lack of participation?  My daughter (7) played her first tmnt last weekend (Witner season still) and had a great time.  She is very much a beginner, so I hope that her yardages dont increase much ...the 1,200 yards / 9 holes is perfect for her now.    

2.) 9 Holes at State - @darter79 where did you see 9 holes local is now going to be 9 holes at state?  My son is 10 through summer season.  The state is one we had pegged to go to (pending date) BECAUSE it is 18 holes.  

In general, I commend them for staying nimble and adjusting their system based on consumer feedback.  They changed the Priority Status system a year or so ago ...a change for the better IMO.  

I called them. This is for girls not boys in terms of it changing to 9 for state  for the new 9-10 division. Most of the changes seem to really be on the girls side. 8U yardages stays the same but more of a range now. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kekoa said:

Boys 10 is way to short IMO.  I don't think my son will ever play in a 9 hole tournament again.  Only once you play some 18 hole or multi day tournaments do you realize what a waste 9 holes is.  Especially true for the older kids.

This answers why I had to answer the question, “why’d you move him up?” so many times. 

• Like 2
There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

13 hours ago, kekoa said:

Boys 10 is way to short IMO.  I don't think my son will ever play in a 9 hole tournament again.  Only once you play some 18 hole or multi day tournaments do you realize what a waste 9 holes is.  Especially true for the older kids.

Agree mostly, but remember the 9 hole local tmnts are largely aiming to be an option for entry level kids.  10 is an age where a lot of new kids are being introduced, 2,800 yards would be a quick way to never get them back !  But some of our boys having already been playing tmnt golf for half their life, I agree with you - 18 hole , multi day are ideal. 

18 hours ago, darter79 said:

You guys have mentioned CA and Florida probably the two biggest golf states. I'd bet you see a huge drop-off at 7U if you looked. When my daughter was in it the biggest it ever got was 5 once or twice. Mostly same 2/3 kids. Since she has moved on 7U hasn't had much life since. A few girls randomly but not much of one. I don't even think Texas last year had a girls 7U at state!  Overall I like it. Girls 8 the biggest looser of it, Girls 11 the biggest winner if you ask me since they get to jump into 18. I would have loved to see 10 in that but only because I'm at fan of playing 18 at worlds play it local. Now girls 10 is 9 at state but 18 at worlds and locals. 

One thing I should add having lived in Both Texas and Florida there is no doubt that Texas may actually me more competitive then Florida especially when it comes to girls.  

And before someone comes and try to claim the highest ranked kids are from Florida or elsewhere I am talking about the average kid not who has the best kids and even then that is subjective.

There are pockets in Florida with a lot kids but in Texas is really doesn’t matter if your in Dallas, Austin or Houston your going to see one of the biggest fields in country. 

• Like 1

FWIW, received the confirmation from a local tour director along with this at the bottom:

Getting to be that time of the year.   Crazy how fast it is going.  Registration for the Spring Tour is still pending.  However, the schedule has been posted and can be found under the Local Tour tab.  National is changing the girls age groups to be more in line with the Long Leaf system.  For those not familiar with the Long Leaf system, the age groups and yardages are based on the Long Leaf Golf Course in Pinehurst, NC owned and opporated by USKG.  Yardages are designed to fall in line with studies done on junior athletic development. 

Some other exciting news:

USKG is adding the "Teen Series".  I will be organizing a couple of 2 day events.  These events will be for players 13-18 years old.  The events will award AJGA stars and will also be ranked on the JGS.  Please be on the lookout for more information shortly.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Medson said:

U.S. Kids' age groups and yardage page updated. https://foundation.uskidsgolf.com/tournaments/info/age-groups-and-yardages

The updated page covers local tours and world. I wonder what gonna happen to State and Regional grouping and yardage. 

I found it odd they left that out, unless that falls into the range of the local yardages. Only my guess.