Hear me out. Crazy combo set ping g425/blueprint irons

I know I know you’re reading the title I and you’re like this kat had lost it!!! But think here. 4,5,6,7 irons really give you some forgiveness maybe a little extra pop if you need it. Really from that distance maybe you’re just trying hit the green not firing right at pin. 8,9,pw power spec blueprints. For your scoring zone going for tucked pins forgiveness not as much a factor here looking for more consistency. 10 handicapper reasonably good iron player. What say the masses. 

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Would look a little bit like this...  

Put the bong down.

I don’t see why not.  But instead of power spec. I’d go all retro spec. Take some of offset out of the g425 and kill the need for a gap wedge.  But that’s just me. 

Posted Images

I'm a hard no. Alignment with the massive offset difference would be a no go for me. Sole differences... just wouldn't work in my mind. I think when they bring out the S59 there might finally be a good combo option for the Blueprint. The iBlade looked too different to me. 

• Like 1

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9* Ventus Black 6x

Callaway EFSZ @ 14* Ventus Blue 7x

Callaway Rogue SZ Tour Issue 5w 17* Tour AD TP 8x

Taylormade Sim UDI 2i Hzrdus Handcrafted Black 105x

Callaway Tour Issue Apex 2019 Hybrid @ 19* Veylix Rome 988X

Srixon z745 4-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey JDM Forged 50F, 56M, SM4 60S Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Odyssey White Hot Pro #7 | Odyssey White Hot Pro #1 | Byron Morgan DH89 34/70*/2*

Taylormade TP5X 2021

Ping Hoofer

I say why not? One of the best players on this forum (Obee) plays hybrids down to around a 7 and then some blades.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Ping G410  10.5 Project X Evenflow 5.5

Ping G425 5 wood
Ping Anser 20* Hybrid

Srixon ZX5's  5-PW

Ping Glide 3.0  50*
Ping Glide
 54 & 58*ES

Bettinardi Queen B 6

I dunno, it seems guys on tour often plan GI irons in the long club and blades in the shorter ones.  Doesn't Phil do a bit of this for example?  Maybe play the Blue Prints in the 9, PW, 7 and 8 go with the I210, then G 425 in the 4,5,6.  

Or just go Blue Prints 6-PW and use hybrids or crossovers in the longer clubs.  

Go for it if you like it, the worst thing that can happen is you waste a bit of $$$$, not sure what your disposable income looks like.  

• Like 2

I pick 14 of the following:
Ping G400
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood
Ping G 400 4 hybrid
Ping G 4-U
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, 58 SS
Grips NDMC +4
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer
ProV1x-mostly
ECCO Biom Hybrid 3

I don’t see why not.  But instead of power spec. I’d go all retro spec. Take some of offset out of the g425 and kill the need for a gap wedge.  But that’s just me. 

• Like 4

Titleist tsi2 10* Mitsubishi TB 70x 

Titleist ts2 16.5 * Tensei CK pro Blue 80TX

Cobra F9  7 wood 22.5 blue board 80TX 

Titleist T100 4-pw  

Vokey sm7 50*54*58*v grind

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

I'd say go for it! Especially if it scratches your itch to get some blueprints (or to get G425 irons). 

And let us know how it goes too.  You might be onto something or serve as a cautionary tale.  

Edited by AdamsAT

TM Sim Max D, UST Mamiya Helium

Ping G 3 Wood, Alta CB

Ping G 4 Hybrid, Alta CB

Ping G 5-UW, AWT 2.0 Stiff

Cleveland RTX4 52 mid, 56 mid, 60 low, Dynamic Gold S400

Ping Sigma putter

I have been playing 8-pw BP's,   using multiple different sets in the mid, long irons, rapture v2, 09 x forged, Stenson's etc. I had some 410's and they are so forgiving in the mid, long irons, sometimes just getting the ball closer to the hole at our handicap is a good thing. If you can handle a mixed set I say go for it. 

Just picked up some gen 3 T's 7-pw, have read a review (Low caper)  playing the T's would jump to the XP's in the long irons skipping over the P's. So your not the only one thinking some added help is a good thing. 

Being a non single capper playing the BP's may cause some concern for some but it's just a game right, have fun.  

I have scored better playing one's choice of 4 irons vs playing the entire set multiple times, so like they say it's not how but how many....

• Like 1

I wouldn't do it.  I can't play combo sets of any kind (G710/425 or Blueprint/i210, etc).

I can play either kind of iron but they all look and feel different through the ball, different flight, etc.  I prefer as many clubs as possible to setup and look the same (and for the ball to behave the same way).  It may be suboptimal for certain shots you encounter from time to time but no set is ever perfect for everything.

Know I'm in the minority these days as combo sets are all the rage.

I500 in 5 and 6 and 7-P in blueprints would be good ... blueprints are awesome, I have a set

Better blend of similar looks

Edited by cardoustie

Ping G400 Max Fuji Ventus Red 6x

Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard 73x 

Cally Apex '16 3h 20* KK Silver 80x

Cally Apex '16 4h 23* KK Silver 80x

Srixon ZX7 5i  AD DI di 95x 

Srixon ZX7 6 - PW Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120s
Vokey SM2 50*, SM2 TVD M 56* & 60*, SM2 64.07

Scotty GoLo 7

I think the 410 4 crossover, 5/6/7 i500 may be less jarring in a number of ways...but, I am not a i500 fan. 

I saw the ZX5s and ZX7s in person for the first time yesterday.  Fabulous. If I were in the market for mid/long irons with some help, ZX5s would be at the top of my list to try. 

Driver: PING G410 Plus, Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6S
3W: Titleist D917 13.5 @ 15, Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 7S
5W: Titleist D917 18 @ 18.75, Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 8S
Hybrid: Titleist 816 H2 21 @ 22, Diamana D+ 100 Hybrid
Irons: PING i210 (5-U), Nippon Modus 120S
Wedges: PING Glide (54 SS, 58 WS), PING CFS Wedge
Putter: PING Sigma 2 Arna
Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

That seems very extreme. If nothing else the huge disparity in head size and sole width seem too much to get past for most people, but I suppose if that's not going to bother you and the gaps match up fine there's nothing really inherently "wrong" with it. I doubt you'd find many people who would do it because the people who want the friendliness of the game improvement long/mid irons are gonna be scared off by the extremely tiny Blueprint heads and those who want the look and feel of a tiny forged blade aren't gonna tolerate a giant chunky 7i with the loft of a 5.5i. If you're the sliver of that venn diagram that fits both of those things then go for it, but I'd imagine you're a one-in-a-million with those preferences.

Driver: Ping G425 LST 9º (at 8º) Accra TZ5 65 M5

3 Wood: Taylormade SIM Ti 15º Accra TZ5 75 M5

3i/4i: Srixon Z785 Nippon Modus 120X (4i 1º weak)

5i-PW: Srixon Z-Forged Modus 120X

50º/54º/60º: Cleveland RTX 4 (Mid Bounce) Modus 120X (50º/54º) & DG TI S400 (60º)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Squareback 2 (33.75", 70º lie, 2.5º loft)

Nah not too loco.  Crazy would be a reverse combo - G425 8-UW, Blueprint 4-7 - point and shoot scoring clubs and pure feeling long irons.... crazy awesome (had that going on with CB wedges and a sweet blade 3 iron).

D Adams XTD, 70M4X 3W TEE CBX, HZBk75S 5W Titleist 915F, D+80X

3I Srixon Z 545 4H Adams S 9031 6I-PW Mizuno MP-54, C Taper Lite X

GW Nike VPC, Tour V X 54 60 Cleveland CBX, DG S300 Cure CX3

Hell, there shouldn't be a "set" way to play this game. I once played the whole season with two drivers and two putters and Had a good year. I should do it again.😃

• Like 1

Ping G410  10.5 Project X Evenflow 5.5

Ping G425 5 wood
Ping Anser 20* Hybrid

Srixon ZX5's  5-PW

Ping Glide 3.0  50*
Ping Glide
 54 & 58*ES

Bettinardi Queen B 6

Funny thing about this topic, is I was just debating this myself. I currently play a U500 2 and 4, T100 5 and 6, and 7-pw 620 blades. A friend of mine just picked up a set of Mavrik irons he was fit for and told me how much he loved them, so of course I have to try them. Holy cow are these things easy to hit far and straight! And it made me think of doing something similar. Mavrik 4-6, then the forged CBs 7-pw. Bend the Mavriks weak to eliminate some offset and match lofts with forged CBs. It sounds good in my head, but to take that to the course is another story.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 10° w Tensei white 65X

Taylormade SIM 14° w/ VA shafts Vylyn
Titleist U500 2,4, T100 5-6, 620mb 7-pw 
Vokey 50f,54S,60L

Bettinardi Hexperimental soft carbon QB10
Titleist prov1x
On 1/30/2021 at 8:47 AM, agolf1 said:

Why not alternate every other club?  Need a high straight one.  Grab the G425.  Need to move one left-to-right, right-to-left, high, low, take something off grab the BP.  It may make more sense than most people think.

On 1/30/2021 at 1:24 PM, braincramp52 said:

Hell, there shouldn't be a "set" way to play this game. I once played the whole season with two drivers and two putters and Had a good year. I should do it again.😃

Ooh I like it.  Screw convention and play what makes sense for your game!  I might be a 2 driver guy this year.

• Like 1

D Adams XTD, 70M4X 3W TEE CBX, HZBk75S 5W Titleist 915F, D+80X

3I Srixon Z 545 4H Adams S 9031 6I-PW Mizuno MP-54, C Taper Lite X

GW Nike VPC, Tour V X 54 60 Cleveland CBX, DG S300 Cure CX3

On 1/29/2021 at 11:58 AM, RodrigoNicely said:

I know I know you’re reading the title I and you’re like this kat had lost it!!! But think here. 4,5,6,7 irons really give you some forgiveness maybe a little extra pop if you need it. Really from that distance maybe you’re just trying hit the green not firing right at pin. 8,9,pw power spec blueprints. For your scoring zone going for tucked pins forgiveness not as much a factor here looking for more consistency. 10 handicapper reasonably good iron player. What say the masses. 

Try it the other way. 

..I'm not kidding.

@RodrigoNicely I did this a while back with Cobra F9 speedbacks and Cobra MB’s. Honestly I works fine but you come to realize you really prefer one style over the other. I played the Speedbacks up to the 7i sometimes but carried the 7i in the MB as well due to gapping. Didn’t really matter as far as club count because the longest iron I needed to carry was a 5i since they were so dang long. I have since switched to all MB’s down to the 5i and threw in a hybrid. Although the added forgiveness was great I just didn’t feel like it helped enough for the tremendous downgrade in feel and workability.

• Like 1