Getting payment for item that was lost but later delivered

Sold an item on the BST, received payment promptly and I shipped UPS next day. About a week later, buyer contacted me and said UPS lost package and I need to file a claim and provide a refund. A day later, after confirming with UPS that item was lost in transit, I refunded buyer (all of this through PayPal and our communication through golfwrx forum).

Today, the item has been confirmed as delivered to buyers address. Contacted buyer and he says he’s out of town for 2 weeks and will ship the item back upon his return. Doubt the putter will last 2 weeks on his doorstep.

Now I’m out the putter and the $. Do I have any recourse through golfwrx? PayPal?

Any thoughts or suggestions/recommendations?

Thanks

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Inviting the buyer to the thread is still the best option. But yet it hasn't been done yet.

This is why it may be best to invite the WRX member in the thread. It could pressure them to handle in a timely manner being they have the money and the putter. I hope this works out for you OP but

I wouldn’t have refunded while in limbo like that, leaves you in this situation    ive had some close calls with Usps last two months with packages taking up to two weeks but luckily my buye

I would get in touch with PP first

Ping G410 Plus 10.5°/Alta CB55 r flex, Maltby KE4 TC 5w/Xcaliber SL FW r flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Xcaliber HY r flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Xcaliber HY r flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Maltby Tricept 54° and 58°/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

I ordered some grips on ebay in the beginning of December. We all know how bad usps was so I wasn't expecting them anytime soon. After the 31st day I messaged the seller and asked him to refund the purchase as there was no movement for over 24 days. I ended up getting the grips 8 days later which I promptly sent back the next day. The guy your dealing with wanted a refund after only a week? He's probably going to give you a rough time. More then likely he's lying about the not home deal but I hope he finds someone to send it back. Asking for a refund only a week into usps delivery is not to sharp on his end and they shouldn't have granted it that soon either. 

Thanks for the input. I did ask the buyer to have someone pick the package up for him and secure it....but now he says he will return the package to me when gets back. I don’t know what to think. Not sure why he doesn’t want the putter all of the sudden and now plans to return it 2 weeks from now?

I’ll contact PayPal as suggested. Thanks....

No. I initiated the insurance claim when UPS confirmed lost in transit. But I guess the process for the claim to go through takes some time. UPS responded to my claim when the package was found and scheduled for delivery. Subsequently, my claim was terminated and packaged confirmed as delivered. So I’m still out the $ and the putter.

9 minutes ago, Wilkeytex said:

No. I initiated the insurance claim when UPS confirmed lost in transit. But I guess the process for the claim to go through takes some time. UPS responded to my claim when the package was found and scheduled for delivery. Subsequently, my claim was terminated and packaged confirmed as delivered. So I’m still out the $ and the putter.

That sucks. Hopefully the buyer does the right thing. 

I wouldn’t have refunded while in limbo like that, leaves you in this situation 

ive had some close calls with Usps last two months with packages taking up to two weeks but luckily my buyers were accommodating and opted to wait it out

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Epic Max LS + Tensei CK Pro Blue / TS2 3W + ATMOS TS Blue / TS2 7W + Diamana B / GAPR Lo 4 + Diamana Thump  / Apex 19 Pro + Modus3 120 / MD5 / Toulon Las Vegas + SuperStroke Cord 2.0

5 hours ago, SubaruWRX said:

Ask him to call someone in the neighborhood to pick it up and hold it until he returns. 

This seems to be the most reasonable "real world" scenario. Assuming someone still wants the product, or to just maintain their position as an honest person to do a transaction with

I can't imagine any situation where someone doesn't have a friend or relative that can pick up something off their porch if they are out of town. 

• Thanks 1

Cobra Radspeed XB tour length 9 w/ PX Hzrdus RDX Smoke Black 80
Cobra F9 Tour 13.5 w/PX Hzrdus Smoke Black 70
Callaway Apex 20 w/PX Catalyst 70
Cobra King Forged TEC 4-GW w/Nippon Modus 130

Cobra King MIM Black 56 and 60 wedges w/ Modus 130

SGC #002 flow neck 385g

If the buyer wanted a refund after a 1 week , it sounds like a remorseful buyer or got another putter cheaper.
It’s odd that ups initiating a claim after only a week. Transit stops updating for 3/4 days regularly with ground services. 
Being they’re still in contact , even away, I’d let them know you’ve starting a thread about the situation. Maybe invite them here. Could make what seems like a difficult situation a little more transparent for the buyer to make the right move. 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Wilkeytex said:

Thanks everyone for the input. I was just trying to do the right thing with the refund. In hindsight, I guess I jumped the gun. PayPal was no help. Hopefully the buyer sends back the putter. Lesson learned on the whole refund process for me. 

Well, the buyer has to options here really...reject the delivery and have them return to sender or...keep the club and essentially commit fraud for keeping an item he has not paid for.

TM M3 440 w/ Speeder Evo II 6.1 TS
TM M5 14* Rocket w/ BB S+ 70  
Taylormade P790 2 UDI w/ DG 105R or M3 19* 5W w/ BB S+ 70

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Nike VR Pro MBs w/ DG AMT White R300
Kyoei 52/58 Personal Grinds w/ DG S400s
Odyssey MXM 1W

On 2/1/2021 at 11:07 AM, Golfrnut said:

Well, the buyer has to options here really...reject the delivery and have them return to sender or...keep the club and essentially commit fraud for keeping an item he has not paid for.

This is why it may be best to invite the WRX member in the thread. It could pressure them to handle in a timely manner being they have the money and the putter.
I hope this works out for you OP but something smells stinky. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

How much time passed from when you refunded to when the item was delivered?

Taylormade SIM2 Max 10.5° - Fuji Speeder 569 IV

Mizuno ST190 3W - GD AD DI 6

Mizuno JPX 900 5W - Fuji Speeder 661 II

Mizuno MP20 HMB 4 - DG120 S300

Mizuno JPX Forged 919 (5-PW) - DG120 S300

Titleist Vokey SM5 52°/12° F Grind 

Titleist Vokey SM5 58°/11° K Grind 

Titleist Vokey SM5 62°/8° T Grind 

Titleist Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

On 1/29/2021 at 9:46 PM, Wilkeytex said:

Sold an item on the BST, received payment promptly and I shipped UPS next day. About a week later, buyer contacted me and said UPS lost package and I need to file a claim and provide a refund. A day later, after confirming with UPS that item was lost in transit, I refunded buyer (all of this through PayPal and our communication through golfwrx forum).

Today, the item has been confirmed as delivered to buyers address. Contacted buyer and he says he’s out of town for 2 weeks and will ship the item back upon his return. Doubt the putter will last 2 weeks on his doorstep.

Now I’m out the putter and the $. Do I have any recourse through golfwrx? PayPal?

Any thoughts or suggestions/recommendations?

Thanks

I don’t believe for a second that the buyer is out of town.

On 2/3/2021 at 11:38 AM, golffeen007 said:

This is why it may be best to invite the WRX member in the thread. It could pressure them to handle in a timely manner being they have the money and the putter.
I hope this works out for you OP but something smells stinky. 

Inviting the buyer to the thread is still the best option. But yet it hasn't been done yet.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, cval said:

If you got your money from a UPS insurance claim the club is no longer yours. If not he should ship the club back to you. 

See post #9, UPS canceled the claim when item was delivered.

PING Hoofer Lite 

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*

Srixon Z U85 23*

Nike VR Forged Pro Combo

Vokey SM7 52.8F, 58.8M

PING BeCu Anser

It's getting to be a nightmare selling and shipping these days.  It surprises me you had an issue with UPS and it's usually US Postal that is a train wreck. I hope 

this person does the right thing and returns the club or pays you for it.   I would think UPS is not going to pay an insurance claim in an item they delivered. 

I sold and shipped a set of Irons to a member on November 30th US Postal and they still haven't been delivered.  The member I sold them to has been awesome 

and understanding because he has tracking and knows the situation with USPS and their problems.  I refunded his money 2 weeks ago and filed a claim and basically

wrote off the Irons.  This morning the member texts me a screen shot from USPS  tracking showing they finally made it to the distribution center in his town.  The Irons

are expected to be delivered this week and he will be making payment once he receives them.  Over 60 days for a USPS 2 day Priority mail shipment.  

I hope this works out for you 

Texan stranded in "The Peoples Republic of Maryland"

Srixon ZX7 5-AW N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 120S
Mizuno T20  54 , 58  N.S. Pro Wedge 115 

Ping G425 Max Driver Aldila Rogue White 130 M.S.I. 70
Ping G400 3 Wood Aldila Rogue Silver 110 M.S.I. 70
Ping Anser 20 & Anser 23 Hybrid
EVNROLL ER2 Mid Blade Black with Gravity Grip
Titleist Pro V-1X

2015 OnOff Kuro Ions 4-PW N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 120S