2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Have I been sleeping on the i210?

tgoodspe1991

After seeing more and more Pro‘s WITB pop up with i210 (and winning with them) I started reading more into the irons. There seems to be a ton of praise for them on here. I had the i200 for a brief time many years ago, but thought they felt a little firm and, for whatever reason, they were consistently shorter than other irons at the time.

I guess I hadn’t seriously considered the i210s because of that... up until now.

So talk to me, how are these irons holding up in 2021 against the competition out there now? What other irons are they similar to in size, shape, feel? I’m debating making the move back to irons with a larger profile and been eyeing the new Cobra MIM for example, but feel like I might be doing myself a disservice by not considering these i210 too...

Depends on what you are looking for.  If it's increased distance, look elsewhere, or I guess you could 'power spec' them.  If its very good/great distance control (personal opinion) and playability, then they are fantastic.  Not going to feel the 'best' (subjective to a degree), but perform as well if not better than pretty well anything else out there.  

• Like 4

What's In The Ping Moonlite:
Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

If you want similar size/shape and a softer feel I'd look at something like the Srixon ZX7.

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G425 LST 9º (at 8º) Accra TZ5 65 M5

3 Wood: Taylormade SIM Ti 15º Accra TZ5 75 M5

3i/4i: Srixon Z785 Nippon Modus 120X (4i 1º weak)

5i-PW: Srixon Z-Forged Modus 120X

50º/54º/60º: Cleveland RTX 4 (Mid Bounce) Modus 120X (50º/54º) & DG TI S400 (60º)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Squareback 2 (33.75", 70º lie, 2.5º loft)

I played the i200's for prob just shy of 10 rounds and sold them off quickly so that was probably around 2017 .  I just never liked the way they felt.  You used the term 'firm' and I guess I can relate to that.   Don't recall getting that feeling of,  'oh wow that felt flush' when I struck the i200's well.  i210s I DO get that 'flush feeling' when struck well.

I received my i210's a few weeks ago and have been able to get in 2 rounds so far (dropped a lot of 2nd balls).  These have been winter rounds in the high 30's but even so,,  I can tell I really,  really like these irons.  They look far better behind the ball than I remember the i200's looking.  They just look hittable and feel great.  I especially like the look of the short irons,  so much that I ordered the UW which should be here in a few months lol...   And that's not to take away from the long irons.   Long irons for me very easy to launch producing much needed confidence.  (I don't have the speed I used to).  

Now with all that said,,,    I'm well aware of the ole honeymoon phase and won't really know until we get some consistent Spring golf weather.   But I feel very confident these will stick around for quite some time/years.

Of course,  YMMV.

• Like 2

I just bought a set of heads and built a set to try out. Weather and other factors will likely keep me from hitting them for another 2-3 weeks. I’ll come back and offer my thoughts. 

I’ve been playing PXG 0311T Gen 1 irons for a couple of years and was testing a set of the new TM P7MC before the cold weather dropped. The i210 are slightly larger than the 0311T and definitely beefier than the P7MC (which are fairly small and blade-like in size) with more offset in the long irons than both the others. 

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

They are one of the absolute best sets of irons from the past 3 years IMO. Anyone can play them but they get mistaken sometimes for GI irons because of how they look when they are really scalpels for the absolute best hands in the world. I have them but game the G400s instead as the G400s just manage my spin and misses better. 4-5 hcp FWIW. 

I210 are beauties. They do spin a bit more for me compared so some. I know Hovland was playing a set that had all of the bounce grinded off but seems to be back to the standard set in Dubai. 

I actually love the 7-PW shape - very little offset and a nice squat blade. The 4 and 5 get a bit long in paddle length and too offset for my eye given the progressive nature of the set. 

I preferred the iBlades overall, particularly in the long irons, but they spun SO much. I’d see you in the Blueprints all day.. they’re actually really forgiving for a good player. 

• Like 1

I just recently let go of my 210s after about 50 rounds. They are excellent irons but weren’t a great fit for me. I have a set of s55 irons that just feel better and get through the turf much better so I’m playing those for the time being. However, I’ve got a fitting scheduled for next week so we’ll see if I end up with something new. 

Cobra LTD X

Titleist TSi2 3W

PXG Hybrid 17/22

Srixon ZX5 5 iron

Srixon ZX7  6-PW

Ping Glide Wedges 2.0 50/54/58

Mizuno M Craft I or IV

I have played numerous sets of Ping irons in the i series, at least seven sets, including the i200 and i210.  To me, if you didn't let me look at the back of the club, I am not sure I  could tell you after hitting ten balls if it was an i200 or i210 in my hand.  There isn't that much difference between the two in my humble opinion and I am a huge Ping fan and probably played 180 rounds of golf last year.  The feel is very similar, the look is very similar, the sound.  I gave my i200s to my son and just looked at them in his bag.  There might be very subtle differences behind the ball, but I probably couldn't remember which is which.  Everyone is different, but that is my opinion.  I can't see how if a person did not like the i200 that they would like the i210.  I mean there is just not that much difference between the two irons.  My handicap is around 0 right now for what that is worth.

This thread has a lot of opinions in it.

• Like 4

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

My issue is similar to a comment posted above regarding high spin.  I currently play i20s and my issue is they spin too much for me compared with almost everything.  It could be a bit of the shaft doesn't help.

I recently got fit and I did see spin decreases over ping with MMCs, p770s, jpx tours.  I dont need over 7k spin with a 7 iron.  I went with optimal launch, peak height,  descent angle, and spin.  For me that was p770.  I did need a shaft to lower launch a bit though.

I think it will come down to your delivery and sole design.  They do have more bounce, but that could be a good or bad thing player dependent.  They look really good and friendly.  I’m sure they would feel just fine with a premium ball.

Ping players seem to be pretty loyal to the brand.  They don’t get the recognition for feel in irons, but it’s hard to not pay attention to the playability of ping products.  Those i210’s are in a lot of top player’s bags for a long time for a reason.  They perform at a high level.

• Like 2

Mizuno   STZ 230 9.5*   Tensei Raw White 65x

Taylormade   Tour Issue Stealth  3 HL Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5

Taylormade   Stealth+ 5w   Diamana OG Kai’Li 70x  

Wilson   Staff CB 7-P / D9 Forged 5-6  Modus 120x

Vokey   Sm8 48* bent to 49*, Sm10 54s bent to 55, 60s all custom ground 

Bettinardi  Custom BB46

Srixon Z Star 💎  OR   Bridgestone Tour B X 

I was like you OP... I got caught up in the i210 game seeing them all over the place.  It may have been the shaft?  The head?  IDK, but the first couple rounds with the 210 were promising, then, it all just fell apart.  They are great irons, but don't think because they are somewhat GI looking they will be some magic stick.  I didn't score better with them and they were shorter compared to others I had been playing which was a bummer, I really wanted to settle on them.  They do have some bounce, which can be a very good thing, but conditions can be firm to very firm in the warmer months here in SoCal and that didnt mix for me.

• Like 1

Ping G430 10k 9*  Ventus blue 6x

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Nike VFP  4i KBS CTL 115x ss1x

Ping i230 5-P KBS CTL 115x ss1x

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

12 hours ago, tgoodspe1991 said:

After seeing more and more Pro‘s WITB pop up with i210 (and winning with them) I started reading more into the irons. There seems to be a ton of praise for them on here. I had the i200 for a brief time many years ago, but thought they felt a little firm and, for whatever reason, they were consistently shorter than other irons at the time.

I guess I hadn’t seriously considered the i210s because of that... up until now.

So talk to me, how are these irons holding up in 2021 against the competition out there now? What other irons are they similar to in size, shape, feel? I’m debating making the move back to irons with a larger profile and been eyeing the new Cobra MIM for example, but feel like I might be doing myself a disservice by not considering these i210 too...

2021 will be my 3rd full season with the i210s.  I have them in regular spec, 4-PW, and love them.  I probably have about 100 rounds on them and they’re holding up really well.

I’m an 8-9 hdcp and was looking for players irons over a game improvement irons.  I actually like them so much that I bought a set of used i200s for backup.  FWIW, I was on G410s before the i210s and did not care for them AT ALL.

Titleist TSi3 D (10.0*) HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 60

Titleist TS2 F (16.5*) Tensei AV Blue 65

Titleist TS2 H (21.0*) Tensei AV Blue 70

PING i525 Irons (4-PW) Project X IO 105

Cleveland RTX Zipcore (50) DG Spinner
Cleveland RTX Full Face (56) DG Spinner
Bettinardi BB-8 Wide (SuperStroke 1.0)

Love mine. I was playing the G410’s (which I didn’t care for much) so sold them and went to the i210’s. My game has been far more consistent with them for sure and scores lower. They are like precision weapons. 

The 4 iron might be my favorite club in the bag. Super easy to hit high and straight. In fact, love it so much, ordered the 3 iron to match my set from Ping a couple of weeks ago. 

DRIVER - PING G430 LST

FAIRWAY WOODS - PING G430 5W

HYBRIDS - PING G430 3H

IRONS - PING i230 4-UW

WEDGES - PING GLIDE 4.0 54S & 58E

PUTTER - SCOTTY CAMERON SS NEWPORT 2

5 hours ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

I210 are beauties. They do spin a bit more for me compared so some. I know Hovland was playing a set that had all of the bounce grinded off but seems to be back to the standard set in Dubai. 

I actually love the 7-PW shape - very little offset and a nice squat blade. The 4 and 5 get a bit long in paddle length and too offset for my eye given the progressive nature of the set. 

I preferred the iBlades overall, particularly in the long irons, but they spun SO much. I’d see you in the Blueprints all day.. they’re actually really forgiving for a good player. 

Didn't Hovi played the standard set in Dubai due to the turf/sand there? His normal set would be stripping divots 2 foot long there. 

Ping G410+ Tensei Orange Pro.

Mizuno GT180 shaft as above.

Adams 3H  Aldila Blue.

Wilson FG100 4i-PW.

Wilson PMP 52/56/60

Putters....too many.

I have been looking at  the i210 as well. Covid has shutdown most services including fitters where I am.  It appears even if you can get fit, there is a 10-12 week lead time for delivery. The solution appears to be to do a reverse fitting  - buy now and then fine tune when I get them with my fitter. Not ideal but if I want to play with them when my golf season starts, this is the only option. I will likely swap my existing MMT 105s shafts in, so the shaft should be set.

I originally was fit for the I500’s about a year ago. I didn’t like them at all, harsh, mis hits were way short! I sold them after about 7 months and got fit from my local pro for the I210’s. What a difference, feel was amazing! Could not believe they were not forged. Great ball flight, spin control and distance control. So happy I went for  the switch. There is a reason Ping keeps rolling these out and has not updated. It took about 10 weeks for mine to come. Well worth the wait in my opinion!

• Like 2

picked up a set last night on BST after i realized how much i despise cup face technology (bye bye Apex Pro)

• Like 1

WITB

Sim2 - Ventus TR Blue 6x

Sim 3 Wood - PX Smoke 6.5 

Mavrik Pro 3 hybrid - Ventus Blue HB 8x

ZX 4 Utility - aerofiber 110x

P770 - Modus 120x

Milled Grind, High Toe - S400

38" Counterbalanced Phantom X9

On 1/29/2021 at 11:32 PM, Steele47 said:

I played the i200's for prob just shy of 10 rounds and sold them off quickly so that was probably around 2017 .  I just never liked the way they felt.  You used the term 'firm' and I guess I can relate to that.   Don't recall getting that feeling of,  'oh wow that felt flush' when I struck the i200's well.  i210s I DO get that 'flush feeling' when struck well.

I received my i210's a few weeks ago and have been able to get in 2 rounds so far (dropped a lot of 2nd balls).  These have been winter rounds in the high 30's but even so,,  I can tell I really,  really like these irons.  They look far better behind the ball than I remember the i200's looking.  They just look hittable and feel great.  I especially like the look of the short irons,  so much that I ordered the UW which should be here in a few months lol...   And that's not to take away from the long irons.   Long irons for me very easy to launch producing much needed confidence.  (I don't have the speed I used to).  

Now with all that said,,,    I'm well aware of the ole honeymoon phase and won't really know until we get some consistent Spring golf weather.   But I feel very confident these will stick around for quite some time/years.

Of course,  YMMV.

Golf clubs are so personal ... I loved the i200s, did not like the i210s as much. Felt like the i200s gave me more of a solid contact feel and a little more distance.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

I play i210. I think the bottom line for me is how they consistently go the same distance. If I don’t hit them well, they will be 10 yards short. No rocket balls. 

If you watch Hatton, Hovland, and Westy they are consistently flag high on approach shots. Watching Hovland attack the flag sticks was amazing this week. Last week Hatton did the same in Abu Dhabi. 

They feel good to me, but I am admittedly more interested in results than feel. I love the sound. 

The sole is a little wider that average, which I like. I think that’s probably the biggest factor in whether they work for someone or not. 

I also have an i200 7 iron.  If it and my i210 7 iron were setup with the same shaft, grip, etc I doubt I could tell you which is which in a blind test. 

• Like 3

Driver: PING G410 Plus, Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6S
3W: Titleist D917 13.5 @ 15, Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 7S
5W: Titleist D917 18 @ 18.75, Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 8S
Hybrid: Titleist 816 H2 21 @ 22, Diamana D+ 100 Hybrid
Irons: PING i210 (5-U), Nippon Modus 120S
Wedges: PING Glide (54 SS, 58 WS), PING CFS Wedge
Putter: PING Sigma 2 Arna
Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

I don’t know why I’m not enamored with them. It’s the straightest iron I’ve ever played. It’s plenty soft enough. Make the sole width 15% smaller with 2* less bounce, make the overall size 10% smaller, make the long irons 5% shorter heel to toe and with less offset and it’s the perfect iron. Pretty much an iblade/i210 dna blender

1 hour ago, Jlb123 said:

I had a set and found them to be very easy to hit and consistent distance but very very short. I thought of sending them in to be power specd but decided against it and sold them. I will say that they were my favorite clubs I’ve ever had to chip and bump and run with not sure why. 

Do you think maybe a shaft issue?  I've seen this written before in other review threads (about other Ping irons as well) but it's not something that I've ever experienced.  I started last season with my I20s and quickly had to change my yardage expectations early in the season as I was actually hitting them longer than I had in a couple years before (no reason, I'm lazy during the off season) and was hitting my 4i 220ish again.  45* W consistently my 150y club which hasn't changed by loft in over 15 years and I'm only into the 89-91 ss range with irons now (42 y/o).

Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

16 minutes ago, gwelfgulfer said:

Do you think maybe a shaft issue?  I've seen this written before in other review threads (about other Ping irons as well) but it's not something that I've ever experienced.  I started last season with my I20s and quickly had to change my yardage expectations early in the season as I was actually hitting them longer than I had in a couple years before (no reason, I'm lazy during the off season) and was hitting my 4i 220ish again.  45* W consistently my 150y club which hasn't changed by loft in over 15 years and I'm only into the 89-91 ss range with irons now (42 y/o).

I had the identical shafts in g400s and hit them a club and a half longer. I know some of the lofts are different but not that drastic. I had visions of blending the g400 long irons with the i210 im playing to a 7hc so i may not be striking them well enough but didn’t think it would be such a gap. 

1 minute ago, Jlb123 said:

I had the identical shafts in g400s and hit them a club and a half longer. I know some of the lofts are different but not that drastic. I had visions of blending the g400 long irons with the i210 im playing to a 7hc so i may not be striking them well enough but didn’t think it would be such a gap. 

The distance difference is going to be the 2.5*-3* loft and lower spin (8i and up).  So I can completely see a club and a half drop.  If anything, I wouldn't call them 'short' but consistent.

• Like 1

Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

1 minute ago, Jlb123 said:

They were that much shorter in the short irons as well for me. 

Would be interesting to see just how much of a spin, launch and decent difference they were.

Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line