G425 Driver Owners/Testers...Which stock shaft?

The Frase

As a huge Ping driver fan who still games the G400, it is a forgone conclusion that I will be buying the G425 on February 4th.  I am curious to those who have hit this already, which stock shaft are you going with?  Obviously, I will get fitted properly and can make a more educated decision at that time, but I am looking for comparisons between the stock Alta CB Slate and the Tensei Orange CB.  Interesting to see from their own website and graphs that they are calling the Alta Mid Spin, Mid Launch and the Tensei Mid Spin and Mid High Launch.  Could that be accurate?  I am certainly intrigued by the Tensei and the added weight in butt of shaft and have read many positive reviews on this concept.  My challenge is that I am looking for higher launch so may have to go with the Alta.  Interestingly enough, I put the old Alta CB Blue in my G400 head as I didn't like the Alta copper shaft as it was a bit too whippy in the stiff shaft.  Perhaps getting the Alta Slate in the 45 1/4 vs. the 45 3/4 could tighten up the Alta and give me the best of both worlds.

Will find out for myself soon enough but looking for some feedback on what I can expect.          

Tensei orange will be a bit more stable shaft vs. Alta. Personally, Tour 65 fits me best. I'm sure your fitter will dial you into the right head/shaft combo?!

Ping Hoofer Lite

TM Qi10 10.5*

TM Qi10 4/7W

Mizuno 243 5-GW

Mizuno T24 54/S, 58/D

Mizuno OMOI #2

Mizuno RB Tour

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅

1 hour ago, The Frase said:

As a huge Ping driver fan who still games the G400, it is a forgone conclusion that I will be buying the G425 on February 4th.  I am curious to those who have hit this already, which stock shaft are you going with?  Obviously, I will get fitted properly and can make a more educated decision at that time, but I am looking for comparisons between the stock Alta CB Slate and the Tensei Orange CB.  Interesting to see from their own website and graphs that they are calling the Alta Mid Spin, Mid Launch and the Tensei Mid Spin and Mid High Launch.  Could that be accurate?  I am certainly intrigued by the Tensei and the added weight in butt of shaft and have read many positive reviews on this concept.  My challenge is that I am looking for higher launch so may have to go with the Alta.  Interestingly enough, I put the old Alta CB Blue in my G400 head as I didn't like the Alta copper shaft as it was a bit too whippy in the stiff shaft.  Perhaps getting the Alta Slate in the 45 1/4 vs. the 45 3/4 could tighten up the Alta and give me the best of both worlds.

Will find out for myself soon enough but looking for some feedback on what I can expect.          

One interesting thing that I found out by experience was that after removing the stock PING grip with Arrcos and replacing it a CP2 wrap the club plays 1/2 inch shorter.  Not a problem for me since I was going to change the length to 45.25 but would be a surprise to anybody wanting to play at longer length with a different grip for sure.

image.png.a84fef133cd5795d6edb9fe730fe575d.png

arrcos.heic

• Like 1

No right or wrong answer, other than demoing and/or getting fit yourself.  Personally, I seem to rarely get along with the Ping Alta shafts, and like the Tour shafts but don't always get dialed in with them.  From the stock shafts, I would likely lean towards trying the Tensei AV Raw Orange and Rogue White 130 MSI.  The Rogue White is a terrific shaft IMHO. 

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

It's funny how everybody is different.  I'm the opposite from others in this thread in that I generally get along with the Alta shaft.  I played the 400 Max with an Alta for a couple of years and it was the best driver I ever owned.  I sold it and bought a Cobra earlier this year and didn't like it at all.  I went through an 410 Plus and LST with the Orange Tensei and it was wilder than a preacher's daughter for me.  I ended up getting one with an Alta and it's been fantastic.

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland Launcher XL Hy-wood 18*
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

32 minutes ago, jeffrey r said:

Personally, I seem to rarely get along with the Ping Alta shafts, and like the Tour shafts but don't always get dialed in with them.  From the stock shafts, I would likely lean towards trying the Tensei AV Raw Orange and Rogue White 130 MSI.  The Rogue White is a terrific shaft IMHO. 

I really like the Ping Tour 65S in my G30, but of course no guarantee in G425.

Agree about the Tensei AV RAW Orange and Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI (70 listed but no 60?). Must try these.

I wonder if the Tensei AV RAW Blue a no-charge option?

7 minutes ago, Strategery said:

I really like the Ping Tour 65S in my G30, but of course no guarantee in G425.

Agree about the Tensei AV RAW Orange and Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI (70 listed but no 60?). Must try these.

I wonder if the Tensei AV RAW Blue a no-charge option?

I was killing time spec'ing things out on a G425 Max for a hoot, and saw the Rogue White 60 on TGW as a $200 up-charge, and on Golfusamanhattan and Carl's as no up-charge.  Not sure which is right, but it would seem odd that the 70 would be no up-charge, while the 60 would be an up-charge.  And for whatever reason, the AV Blue seems like an up-charge, while the AV Orange is no up-charge. 

Anyway, assuming the Rogue White 60 is in fact no up-charge, that could be a bit of a game-changer (for me at least).  That is a real, premium shaft that is playable by a wide range of golfers.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

On 1/30/2021 at 10:08 AM, Kevmonton said:

One interesting thing that I found out by experience was that after removing the stock PING grip with Arrcos and replacing it a CP2 wrap the club plays 1/2 inch shorter.  Not a problem for me since I was going to change the length to 45.25 but would be a surprise to anybody wanting to play at longer length with a different grip for sure.

arrcos.heic 874.72 kB · 6 downloads

Interesting.  I may choose not to have the Arccos grip as well as I don't see paying for that service when the free trial expires.  That may be the play to simply get the Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 at 45 1/4 and not look back.  Thanks for the heads up Kevmonton.

Hard to pass up the Orange 

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

arrcos.heic 874.72 kB · 8 downloads

if you custom order without arrocos grip the club will be built to Ping standard length based on which shaft u order.

5 hours ago, The Frase said:

Interesting graph especially with the Alta S being stiffer than the Tensei Orange by their measure.  Based on this, perhaps the Alta would be a better option with higher trajectory and a touch stiffer.  Was just a little surprised by this.

Ping G425 LST, MAX and SFT Drivers Review | Equipment Reviews | Today's  Golfer

That was my experience with the Alta Red in the 410 and the Orange Tensei.   The Alta is stiffer and plays with a higher trajectory.  The Tensei was a two way miss for me.  I assumed an 'upgraded' shaft would better.  But the Alta is absolute money.  I tried the Tensei in a 410 and LST and it was a disaster in both.  The Alta shafts seem to get better every model.  I liked the one in the 400.  Love the one in the 410 even more.

Edited by mantan

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland Launcher XL Hy-wood 18*
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

I tried both 425 LST and Max with below shafts

1. Alta 55 Stiff- it worked surprisingly well. Slightly higher swing speed. most of my shots are 10-15 yards fade. Good carry. I was trying to hit straight. weight on fade positions so not sure it was the shaft or the weight on the back.

2. Tensei Orange stiff- Great shaft. Really not feeling much out of it. it loads and unloads without a lot of feedback. I am used to AD Di and AD BB those give me good feedbacks. It works. 

3. Ping Tour 65 Stiff- it 'feels' stout/stiffer and no feedbacks. Just wasn't able to do anything better. Not a right fit for me.

My average SS is 103mph with 157mph ball speed. 

TaylorMade SIM 2 MAX Ventus Black Velocore
Ping G400 2 Hybrid Tour AD DI
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged Irons
Titleist Vokey SM8s
Bettinardi Tour DASS
Pro V1X low number

17 hours ago, The Frase said:

Interesting graph especially with the Alta S being stiffer than the Tensei Orange by their measure.  Based on this, perhaps the Alta would be a better option with higher trajectory and a touch stiffer.  Was just a little surprised by this.

Ping G425 LST, MAX and SFT Drivers Review | Equipment Reviews | Today's  Golfer

Great info

I found Alta was working well for unintended fade. Was getting slightly higher SS/Ball Speed.

Titleist Vokey SM8s
Bettinardi Tour DASS
Pro V1X low number

12 minutes ago, The Frase said:

So what shaft did you end up going with Caller or perhaps which shaft did you like the best?

I think both work for me. Haven't decided yet since I would like to hit it on the actual course. I am waiting on my buddy to buy it first.

Titleist Vokey SM8s
Bettinardi Tour DASS
Pro V1X low number

9 hours ago, KSJ said:

I am debating between Alta S and Tensei X. My SS is 106 but got quick transition. Any thoughts?

I was 103 and Alta handled it fine. 

Titleist Vokey SM8s
Bettinardi Tour DASS
Pro V1X low number

On Carls golfland the Tensei AV Raw Orange Tx, 65, 75 and 85 are only a $12 upcharge!! You can sell the dang thing for $200+ if you don’t like it. And the other av raw oranges are no upcharge. On custom websites, the tx version is $75 more than other flexes. 

Edited by Mookieb10

arrcos.heic 874.72 kB · 11 downloads

I have a G425 Max on order and if this is true I'm a bit panicked because I plan to replace the Stock ARCCOS Grip and standard length with the Aldila Roge is 45.25" and if I lose 1/2"

length going to a GP Tour Velvet 44.75" is No Bueno for me.  I guess I better contact Ping to confirm this and change my order.   Damnit !!  

Titleist TSi3  ,Ventus Blue 6S  Velocore

Ping G425 14.5  Fairway ,Tensei  AV Orange 75

Ping G425 17.5 Fairway  ,Tensei  CK Orange 75

Ping Anser 23 degree Hybrid

OnOff 2015 Kuro Irons ,Nippon Modus Tour 120

Scratch 50 ,54,58 Wedges  ,Nippon WV 115 Wedge Shafts

Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport  2+ 

Titleist Pro V1x

I bought the G425 9* head with the Tensei Raw Orange shaft.  I played it at the standard setting and was launching it high but got too much backspin on the ball.  I switched shafts to the Rogue White 70 shaft.  I played it this weekend in the 10* setting with the Rogue shaft.  I was seeing similar high launch as before but with much lower spin.  The ball carried further and had much more roll out without losing any control.  I was hitting high straight drives all weekend.  For me, this combo is working much better than the Tensei.  My clubhead speed is around 100mph with a +4 AOA.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2021 at 6:00 AM, caller said:

I tried both 425 LST and Max with below shafts

1. Alta 55 Stiff- it worked surprisingly well. Slightly higher swing speed. most of my shots are 10-15 yards fade. Good carry. I was trying to hit straight. weight on fade positions so not sure it was the shaft or the weight on the back.

2. Tensei Orange stiff- Great shaft. Really not feeling much out of it. it loads and unloads without a lot of feedback. I am used to AD Di and AD BB those give me good feedbacks. It works. 

3. Ping Tour 65 Stiff- it 'feels' stout/stiffer and no feedbacks. Just wasn't able to do anything better. Not a right fit for me.

My average SS is 103mph with 157mph ball speed. 

Your smash factory is about 1.55 

That would be better than tour average

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

On 1/30/2021 at 8:08 AM, Kevmonton said:

arrcos.heic 874.72 kB · 14 downloads

Just went through this with Ping.  I bought the G425 LST driver and Max 3 wood and those grips are borderline unplayable due to the flexing in the butt cap if you play near the end of grip as I do.  I live in Phoenix so I went to the factory and showed them and they told me it was within spec.  Had to pay for a new shaft for the driver because they wanted to add an extension and regrip with non Arrcos in the driver.  Pretty disappointing.  The 3 wood I just told them to regrip as I don't mind a little shorter 3 wood, but wanted both clubs to be the stock swing weight.  How on earth they feel it is acceptable for a grip to flex that much is beyond me.

Titleist TSR2 9* Black AD DI 6X
Callaway 816 Alpha 14* Aldila Rogue Silver I/O 70S
Taylormade M3 5W Aldila Rogue Black 80X

Srixon ZXU 4 Recoil F5
Titleist T100 5-PW AMT White S300
Vokey SM6 Black 50F, 54F, 58S
Ping Scottsdale Anser Antique Finish Tungsten Weights to 350G
Scotty Cameron 08 Studio Select Newport 2

52 minutes ago, IL2AZ said:

Just went through this with Ping.  I bought the G425 LST driver and Max 3 wood and those grips are borderline unplayable due to the flexing in the butt cap if you play near the end of grip as I do.  I live in Phoenix so I went to the factory and showed them and they told me it was within spec.  Had to pay for a new shaft for the driver because they wanted to add an extension and regrip with non Arrcos in the driver.  Pretty disappointing.  The 3 wood I just told them to regrip as I don't mind a little shorter 3 wood, but wanted both clubs to be the stock swing weight.  How on earth they feel it is acceptable for a grip to flex that much is beyond me.

I ordered both with stock grips but will probably pull and go with the Golf Pride Tour 360 black with no Arccos.  Not something I think is worth paying a monthly fee for after free trial period and I don't like the cap flexing either.  Driver and 5 wood supposed to ship on March 1st.  Can't wait to receive.