2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Unpopular Opinion - Torrey is Just Meh

Phireside

Watching the tournament and thinking back to my visit in late December 2019. 

Now maybe I need to play the courses more than once each to truly appreciate them, but as for golf, I didn't really feel the courses were anything special. Some great holes for sure, but on average, just meh.

The views and vista of course are second to none, so that certainly helps with enjoying the courses, but move them inland and what do you get?

If I was a local and paying those rates, I'd be there everyday! But as an out of towner, I'd have a tough time justifying it again. For what it's worth, I'd rank North over South.

No regrets playing them, but not sure I'd go back.

I'm sure I'll get skewered, but I can't be alone can I?

• Like 3

Totally agree.  In fact most of the courses that PGA Tour plays are (outside of older venues and classic CC's) are just meh.  E.g. PGA West, TPC Scottsdale, TPC Sawgrass, Harbour Town, etc..  Torrey isn't anything special outside of views.  Green complexes are ok to good.  Rough and length is what makes it tough.   

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Phireside said:

Watching the tournament and thinking back to my visit in late December 2019. 

Now maybe I need to play the courses more than once each to truly appreciate them, but as for golf, I didn't really feel the courses were anything special. Some great holes for sure, but on average, just meh.

The views and vista of course are second to none, so that certainly helps with enjoying the courses, but move them inland and what do you get?

If I was a local and paying those rates, I'd be there everyday! But as an out of towner, I'd have a tough time justifying it again. For what it's worth, I'd rank North over South.

No regrets playing them, but not sure I'd go back.

I'm sure I'll get skewered, but I can't be alone can I?

You are not alone.  Bethpage - the comparable muni - blows it away.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, caniac6 said:

Sounds like it is actually a popular opinion.

Good to know I'm not alone!

But I would never discourage someone from playing there if they have not. It is Torrey Pines after all. Just don't think I'd pay non-resident rates again. If I could get on at resident rates, I'd be all over it like a fat kid on cake.

• Like 2

I've had my residents card for years. I stopped playing there because I fully felt it was a complete and utter money grab by the City of San Diego. The course is mediocre, at best. It's too gimmicky with the ridiculous rough. 

But the most jimmy rustling aspect of Torrey is the Pace. Of. Play. 5 1/2-6 hour round of golf is straight pathetic and everyone working there should be ashamed. 

The only reason I started playing there again is because my son can play there unlimited twighlight for $10.50/month. I spend $17 on a jumbo bucket, might as well let him play Torrey 2-3 times a week, for $27.

Edited by Hack Daddy
  • Like 2

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Rogue Elite 859 65R

Adams Idea Pro 20° VS Proto
Nike VR Pro Combo 3-PW XP115
Nike VR 54/58/62 XP115
Nike MC04w 
TP5X

I beg to differ, apart from the value aspect. Clearly over-priced. But the course is pretty solid in my view. An excellent layout. Also quite memorable which is a sign of its quality. The fairways in most cases are not too special apart from 13 and 17, but the greens are not easy, the par 3s are all good, some great holes and it has a wonderful oceanside ambience. 

Torrey is equivalent to Firestone South CC next to the ocean. Before you ask, I have played both. Both are, in my opinion, a bombers course. Long, mostly straight. Some elevation change, a few dramatic par 5s, longer par 3s. Torrey has more sidehill/slanted fairways. Not too many hard doglegs where you can be blind slice/drawing. Firestone has more tall trees, but you get that vibe at Torrey with the tall gum trees. Unfortunately they've lost more trees at Torrey. Both have similar fairway and green side bunkering IMO.

I played Torrey probably 20 times. I'd play it again in a heartbeat, its a true test of golf. Not driver-wedge crap. Maybe it could use a driveable par4. The US Open they let 14 play around 280y, most didn't go for it. I'd rather see them shorten up #2, maybe #10 before the onslot of 11/12. Not sure what you're looking for exactly to say its not a great cliffside kikuyu classic? Different regions have their courses. Pebble has a few good holes and a few bland holes. I do much prefer the old Torrey, before the US open when it wasn't so "open." With all the brush around the cliff on 5/6/17.

• Like 1

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

3 hours ago, markheardjr said:

Torrey is equivalent to Firestone South CC next to the ocean. Before you ask, I have played both. Both are, in my opinion, a bombers course. Long, mostly straight. Some elevation change, a few dramatic par 5s, longer par 3s. Torrey has more sidehill/slanted fairways. Not too many hard doglegs where you can be blind slice/drawing. Firestone has more tall trees, but you get that vibe at Torrey with the tall gum trees. Unfortunately they've lost more trees at Torrey. Both have similar fairway and green side bunkering IMO.

I played Torrey probably 20 times. I'd play it again in a heartbeat, its a true test of golf. Not driver-wedge crap. Maybe it could use a driveable par4. The US Open they let 14 play around 280y, most didn't go for it. I'd rather see them shorten up #2, maybe #10 before the onslot of 11/12. Not sure what you're looking for exactly to say its not a great cliffside kikuyu classic? Different regions have their courses. Pebble has a few good holes and a few bland holes. I do much prefer the old Torrey, before the US open when it wasn't so "open." With all the brush around the cliff on 5/6/17.

7 North is 100% drivable.

I don't think it suits bombers either; the rough is too penalizing if you miss. I've played w guys 30 yards shorter than me, and have gotten smoked by them hitting fairways. 

How's the PoP at Firestone?

Nike VR 54/58/62 XP115
Nike MC04w 
TP5X

I've played both courses, wasn't impressed and will NOT go back.  Let's just say they are nice, but there are much more appealing eye candy courses, that are really challenging, and worth the cost.  The only thing going for South is its length; take that away and even this ole man can score easily, as the fairways are WIDE open.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

10 minutes ago, Hack Daddy said:

7 North is 100% drivable.

I don't think it suits bombers either; the rough is too penalizing if you miss. I've played w guys 30 yards shorter than me, and have gotten smoked by them hitting fairways. 

How's the PoP at Firestone?

Not talking about the north. Nobody is playing that in the US Open for a reason.

Firestone was empty when I played it. But I played super late in the day after pleading with the head pro when I shelled out $750 for a charity event at "FIRESTONE COUNTRY CLUB" and they put us on the north course. (ha, another non-relevant north course in the same post.)  Pro agree the charity event mislead people. He still charged me a guest rate but at least I got to play. I didn't see another golfer on the South. A few  people staying in the cottages off 16 watched me sink an 11ft birdie putt and clapped/cheered for me. Was a fun moment.

• Like 1

Doesn’t a course that relies too heavily on narrow fairways, rough and length lose a little of its lustre?  For me it does

I 100 percent agree OP.  The locale is amazing but the course lacks strategy and options

Bethpage BLACK is miiiiiles better

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

It is like Firestone, good comparison, that’s not my bag either baby 

• Like 1

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Hmm, I guess I approach it differently. You can very much feel the ebb/flow of the round and when you know you need to make birdie or just scrounge for par. 

1 - Got to hit the fairway and preferrably left side, especially if pin is on back right. Front pin means you have to be under the hole, typically just hoping for par to move on.

2- Birdie chance, have to hit a decent tee shot with a draw, avoid bunkers. Control spin into 2nd shot, front pin, again stay short. Back pin is a harder hole and just focus on left side for same plateau.

3 - Focus on top for back pin or front right for middle/right pin. get par, get out.

4 - Bomb tee shot up right for flatter 2nd, low draw into green and use the slope to slow you down and feed left. Hold on, avoid bogey

5 - Similar to 2 but longer, little draw required, avoid bunkers. Have to stay below the hole here, probably a mid-iron in for most.

6 - Birdie chance, bomb it, bomb it again, if its in the bowl look out for eagle. If its back pin, aim right and avoid the bowl trap.

7 - Good drive up left, aim for bunker and peel off a fade. Stay on left side for best angle, hit it high to avoid the front trap. Little swail back left of green if you go long, but avoid if possible.

etc etc.

The course is a great for full swings, not so much target golf. But you have to play the fight off the tee in preparation for the slanted fairway, to leave yourself the best angle into the greens.

9 minutes ago, cardoustie said:

Doesn’t a course that relies too heavily on narrow fairways, rough and length lose a little of its lustre?  For me it does

I 100 percent agree OP.  The locale is amazing but the course lacks strategy and options

Bethpage BLACK is miiiiiles better

Here's my other bone to pick - if you institute a free drop for a ball you can't find in the rough... I think it's gotten out of hand. Stop giving the pros spotters on drives. We hire a forecaddie if we're playing money games or have friends in town. Amazing way to pick up multiple shots. 😂 The minute you make pros look for their own balls at Torrey, you'll see the average score go up by 5. 

• Like 2

Nike VR 54/58/62 XP115
Nike MC04w 
TP5X

Played it 30 years ago and wouldn't play at todays prices. Add Doral Blue Monster to the list that I wouldn't play at todays prices.

• Like 1

Rogue ST Max Graphite Design MAD
Rogue 3HL and 7 wood
Sub 70 4/5/6 949x Hybrid
Sub 70 699 Pro Black 7-GW Recoil 680 F4
Sub 70 JB Forged Wedges 54/58

Odyssey EXO Seven Slant

I agree that it was quite disappointing.  Even though my game doesn't warrant it, I have played many of the bucket list courses, and I have never been as disappointed as I was as I was with Torrey.

That being said, strange thing happed on 18 when I played.  We were walking on 18th fairway when a blond walks out and walks directly across the fairway to a bunker.  She looks back at us, bends over, and I swear to god there was nothing on underneath, picks up a rake, gives one rake bends back over, drops it and then walks back across the fairway and disappears.  

Brother, you'd think an organization like the PGA Tour could find some better golf courses to play on,,,,,,,,,, instead of that cow pasture,,,,,,,,,, chuckling.gif

• Haha 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

When I lived in San Diego back in the 80's, I played there a lot. But at that time, the resident prices were cheap. We would take turns showing up early and get in line for tee times. But... we would gladly switch between other courses in the area. I always enjoyed Balboa Park.

It's a beautiful course with the location and views, but as a course it was not that impressive. Rough was usually pretty brutal. I don't know what the prices are there now for residents and non-residents, but it sounds like it is pretty pricey. Would I play it once if I was out in San Diego and hadn't played it before... sure. How often do you get a chance to play a course with a PGA tournament?

I can't speak for any of the changes and improvements, but not sure how the changes would make the course that much better to amateurs.

However. I think I want to play with DandyDon....😂

On 2/5/2021 at 7:41 AM, EMA1 said:

I have heard this many times and I am sure I will agree, but I do want to play it at least once.

My buddy is coming down in early May and we are talking about getting a weekend tee time. How difficult do you all think that will be, given the US Open will just be a month after?

There are a ton of restrictions going into place February 5th. If you want a definitive tee time for you and your out of town homeboys, call the booking line and pay the advanced fee. Split that between all the players. It's crazy on the weekends, normally; leading up to the open, it will be bananas. Call and lock in a time.

Edit... I'd HIGHLY recommend you guys also split the cost of a forecaddie. 

Edited by Hack Daddy

Nike VR 54/58/62 XP115
Nike MC04w 
TP5X

On 2/5/2021 at 7:41 AM, EMA1 said:

I have heard this many times and I am sure I will agree, but I do want to play it at least once.

My buddy is coming down in early May and we are talking about getting a weekend tee time. How difficult do you all think that will be, given the US Open will just be a month after?

And you should play it and make your own judgements. Like I said in the OP. No regrets playing them, just not certain I'd go back.

On 2/6/2021 at 8:20 PM, Hack Daddy said:

There are a ton of restrictions going into place February 5th. If you want a definitive tee time for you and your out of town homeboys, call the booking line and pay the advanced fee. Split that between all the players. It's crazy on the weekends, normally; leading up to the open, it will be bananas. Call and lock in a time.

Edit... I'd HIGHLY recommend you guys also split the cost of a forecaddie. 

Just locked it in, thanks for the heads up. Do they stiff offer forecaddies with Covid? If so, do you know what they charge? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2021 at 12:04 AM, Bogeygolf2 said:

hows the process to get residents rate? do you need the card first? 

Used to be you just showed your drivers license with San Diego zip codes. Paid $25, got a SD residents card there in the side office.  Didn't require a utility bill. I moved to Florida in 2016 so haven't had one in the last 4-5 years.