Is PXG equipment really that good?

2 hours ago, shot-savior said:

Not according to myspygolf.com.  Their testing does not place PXG "best" in any category.

I really wanted  some  Gen 3 T's, loved the attention to detail but not the $450 price tag. I was disappointed after seeing the MGS test results. As I continued reading some more reviews I was impressed with Matt from Plug n golf's review.   He tests a lot of equipment and doesn't play any games in his reviews.  His gamers for last year were Ping Blueprints and Gen 3 T's. So They can't be to bad. I picked up some like new T's and will have a go myself come spring, really impressed of the look at address as I sit here dreaming of spring. PXG has dropped the price to $200 per iron, very attractive pricing at the moment.  Pay for used and get brand new, feel sorry for the poor fellas that dropped retail on these though now that they dropped the price by 55% ouch....

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

PXG needs a new motto.  I have one.  "Plenty that will do it as well.  But none that will cost you as much!"

PXG is not any better than the major OEMs, nor any worse.

If you have them, and like them, then, yes, they are that good.

Like previously mentioned, I like their hybrids and fairway woods because you can adjust 3 degrees flat without having to loft down. My miss is a hook so I definitely need hybrids and woods with a fade bias. Flatter lie angles + toe weights will definitely do that. So would I pay a little extra to get the adjustability that I'm looking for? Sure. Would I buy that club at a price cheaper than most OEMs at the moment? Duh. 

This is all you need right here.

"PXG has put a magnet (“QuickStick Cart Magnet Technology”) in the headcover so you can stick it to your cart while you’re hitting a shot."

Boom.

Taylormade M3 driver Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 70G shaft (cut to 44.5")

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Taylormade M4 19* Hybrid 

Taylormade GAPR Mid 21* Hybrid

KZG Forged 2-M cavity back 4-6 

KZG Forged Blade 7-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Lazrus 52/8 and 56/12 wedges

Tour "Percision" [sic] Milled TP-M5 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips

I never liked the irons. Had the gen 1 players. Too chunky. Maybe my mistake by listening to the fitter and getting me into those instead of what i wanted the tours. My favorite iron to  this day is the Nike Vapor pro combo set. 

I will say the hybrid was really nice. I believe it was a Gen 2. I was blasting that thing. 

• Like 2

~2021 Bag~

TaylorMade SIM 10.5 

TaylorMade SIM Rocket 3

TaylorMade SIM Hybrid 19 Degree

TaylorMade P-7MC 4-W  

TaylorMade 50,55,60 MG2 Wedges

TaylorMade SPYDER RED

TaylorMade TP5X

Not better, not worse.  The high prices aren't worth it to me, but I had a full bag of PXG early on when their Hero's program started.  I really enjoyed their 0311T irons, though I didn't like the look of the screws and how they collected dirt/mud.  

Sun Mountain 4.5 LS 14-way / Cobra F9 PX HZRDUS Black 65 6.5 / Srixon Z F85 PX HZRDUS Black 75 6.5 / Srixon Z H85 19* MCA Tensei CK Pro White 90 TX / SRIXON Z965 4-PW DG TI X100 / Cleveland RTX-4 50,54,60 DG TI S400 / Cleveland 2016 HB #1

PXG has clearly changed their business model. Initially, it was based on superior quality/performance in exchange for higher prices. The market has proven that model to be false.

They couldn't sell enough at the higher price, and have been offering lower prices through several conduits for a few years now. With their current pricing, it seems they've given up on the original idea entirely. That doesn't really instill one with a lot of confidence in the company. 

It's impossible to know what might happen, but I'd be willing to wager $10 right now that in another three years, PXG will be a memory. 

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

13 minutes ago, jholz said:

PXG has clearly changed their business model. Initially, it was based on superior quality/performance in exchange for higher prices. The market has proven that model to be false.

They couldn't sell enough at the higher price, and have been offering lower prices through several conduits for a few years now. With their current pricing, it seems they've given up on the original idea entirely. That doesn't really instill one with a lot of confidence in the company. 

It's impossible to know what might happen, but I'd be willing to wager $10 right now that in another three years, PXG will be a memory. 

You do realize the owner has more money than most people should, right? It could bleed cash for a while if he wants it to. 

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Taylormade M4 19* Hybrid 

KZG Forged Blade 7-PW

2 hours ago, jholz said:

As you can imagine, it probably took millions and millions of dollars to launch a new OEM company. From what I've read, PXG had to bake in some of those startups costs at the beginning to help increase their sustainability in the short term. And as more and more users become a part of the PXG ecosystem, their costs of manufacturing diminish according to their increased scalability which is why you're seeing their pricing come back down to earth. Of course their pricing fluctuations could be entirely related to supply/demand and artificially manipulating luxury perception, but I think simple economics would give some credibility to the former theory. This could have been their business model from inception rather than a pivot. And I'd be happy to take you on that $10 wager 🙂

• Like 1

I played the 0211’s for a good part of last season and previously played Pings for many years.  They are like a better feeling Ping.  Specs are very similar and with the price cuts and then resale on the used market they are very affordable.

Easier to reshaft than the Pings as you buy either the 0.355 taper tip ferrules or the 0.370 ferrules depending on your shaft of choice.

On 1/31/2021 at 10:26 AM, tj1391 said:

I own the proto x+ 

have hit several drivers in recent weeks. Bought a proto x+ 

while it is a good driver I don’t seem to think it’s “that much better” than anything else out there. Any opinions on this? 

The irons and wedges are really, really good.  The Gen 3 Ts are amazing irons.  Theyre not 2x better than the T100s, but they are really good.

• Like 1

TSi3 Tensei 1k 60TX

PXG Gen 3 T (5-G)

Epic 3w/5w/4h - Tour AD-DI

Wedgeworks SM8 55D / 60T

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

The pricing has been high but it is coming down. The one thing you can say is other manufactures now are increasing the price. Normal irons were 899-999 now it’s 1299-1399. So it seems like other companies are catching up to the prices. But honestly. I think everyone can agree on one thing. The clubs are going further. The technology isn’t getting that much newer. They are just creating new terms and words to attract their new equipment into people’s hands. It’s sorta like the i phone. Every year people just upgrade for the same thing. Just a different shine. 

~2021 Bag~

TaylorMade SIM 10.5 

TaylorMade SIM Rocket 3

TaylorMade SIM Hybrid 19 Degree

TaylorMade P-7MC 4-W  

TaylorMade 50,55,60 MG2 Wedges

TaylorMade SPYDER RED

TaylorMade TP5X

4 hours ago, lefthack said:

You do realize the owner has more money than most people should, right? It could bleed cash for a while if he wants it to. 

Well said. For all we know they could be in the black right now and bob is just changing the model, releasing new clubs and slashing prices to keep people working and the economy  afloat. 

Or maybe they are taking advantage of the renewed interest in golf and exploiting it to their advantage. Who really knows?

But, at some point tho this is going to turn into a really hard sell, because the flip to a phased tech 1.0 1.1 etc approach, the same one everyone else has always been on is going to hurt them and brand loyalty down the line. 
You can’t tell me the proto FW came out today, and in April when the gen 4 that replaces it is exponentially better. 
So either you were deliberately sandbagging, or you’re lying. Either way you loose credibility. 

They could switch back to the old model and price point at any point with the hopes of having more people on the hook and a larger market share. But if the stuff they have released in the interim hasn’t performed, it will kill them. 

Edited by JackpotJohnny
15 hours ago, lefthack said:

Of course. If Bob wants to keep it going, he certainly can. I'm talking more about the consumer side. If no one is buying it, it doesn't matter a whole lot that he keeps trying to sell it. 

There is a lot of hubris in all that Bob Parsons does, and pride does cometh before the fall. 

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

If he's got guys on tour willing to swing his sticks, I bet he will continue to sell clubs.

Not to stereotype, but I would love to see the number of sets sold that see less than a dozen rounds a year.

PXG makes a hell of a trophy set, if nothing else. Break those bad boys out twice a year for the company golf tournament. 🤣

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Taylormade M4 19* Hybrid 

KZG Forged Blade 7-PW