How much hot melt to quiet a G425 MAX driver & placement to keep neutral? Got to get this one right!! $$$

I apologize for another hot melt topic but after searching and reading 5 pages I have not found enough consistency in the feedback to make me comfortable doing this.  I have a new 425 MAX driver that has a swingweight of D1.5 with a 45.25 inch Accura shaft.  The head weighs 202 grams but since the swingweight is a little lower than I prefer I don't see a problem increasing the weight of the head with hot melt.(please let me know if I am wrong)  

My goals are to mute the sound of the club and possibly give it a better feel.  My questions are:

1) Where is the most efficient location to apply the hot melt for sound and feel purposes only?  (ex: Middle sole/middle crown/rear sole/middle face)

2) How many grams of hot melt are needed to do this?  

3) As an example lets says the consensus is 3 grams.  If I add 4 is that going to make it more muted and give it a better feel?

Thank you for your help!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

4 grams would get you to D3.5 and the placement is irrelevant. You can’t impact flight with 4 grams. That’s 2% of the head weight. 

A couple thoughts with regards to your questions.   Does your current setup produce unsatisfactory results? While you comment that the driver has a swing weight of D1.5 chasing  a different

@J13 will have your answer.

A couple thoughts with regards to your questions.

Does your current setup produce unsatisfactory results? While you comment that the driver has a swing weight of D1.5 chasing  a different swing weight based on other clubs in your bag can be a problem. There are many variables detailed at great length by the experts on WRX regarding swing weight but the end point is always about how the club performs for you.

If you want to play with swing weight increases I would recommend using lead tape before using hot melt. Lead tape is easy to experiment with and is easy to reverse unlike hot melt.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, P.E. said:

A couple thoughts with regards to your questions.

Does your current setup produce unsatisfactory results? While you comment that the driver has a swing weight of D1.5 chasing  a different swing weight based on other clubs in your bag can be a problem. There are many variables detailed at great length by the experts on WRX regarding swing weight but the end point is always about how the club performs for you.

If you want to play with swing weight increases I would recommend using lead tape before using hot melt. Lead tape is easy to experiment with and is easy to reverse unlike hot melt.

Thank you for your response.  The results are fine.  My main concern is quieting it down a little.  I had a G400 Max that I played at D4 with no problem so I thought since the two clubs are considered comparable I  would be able to get the same feeling with this one at D4.  This would allow me to possibly mute the sound with the addition of some hot melt.

You dont have enough room available to change anything but sound if you're already at 202grams. My G410LST is melted on the crown and that influences the sound the most. I have a hotmelt setup and have hotmelted 30+ clubs. The crown is what makes clubs sound like a muted wooden bat. 

• Like 1
  • G410 LST 9* - Diamana D+ Limited 70TX
  • TM SIM Ti 14.25* - Fuji Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 7X
  • TM M5 Ti 18.25* - Fuji Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 7X
  • Adams CMB/MB2 4-Pw - Modus 120X 4-7/PX LZ 6.5 8-Pw
  • Wilson FG Tour V4 50* - PX LZ 6.5 
  • Mizuno T7 55* - PX LZ 6.5
  • Cobra Tour Raw 60.08V - DG TI Onyx S400
  • Odyssey Rossie WHP
  • Bridgestone Tour B XS

1 hour ago, Albatross85 said:

You dont have enough room available to change anything but sound if you're already at 202grams. My G410LST is melted on the crown and that influences the sound the most. I have a hotmelt setup and have hotmelted 30+ clubs. The crown is what makes clubs sound like a muted wooden bat. 

I agree with you in most cases, the caveat to that would be the heads that are now going carbon fiber.  Not a rule, but as a guide, I shoot for the places that have the thinnest walls of metal first.

TM M3 440 w/ Speeder Evo II 6.1 TS
TM M5 14* Rocket w/ BB S+ 70  
Taylormade P790 2 UDI w/ DG 105R or M3 19* 5W w/ BB S+ 70

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Nike VR Pro MBs w/ DG AMT White R300
Kyoei 52/58 Personal Grinds w/ DG S400s
Odyssey MXM 1W

I would address swing weight and sound with 2 separate solutions.

Have you thought about inserting cotton balls or yarn or some other light material to dampen the sound? Anything that disrupts sound echoing in the head will drastically dampen the sound without changing the weight a noticeable amount. 

For swing weight I would first test different swing weights using lead tape at the range. Test different amounts and different locations until you dial in what's best for you. Hot melt after you know what is BEST for you is fine but first you should test with tape. 

Edited by mgoblue83
8 minutes ago, caller said:

Sounds like hotmelt isn't the automatic answer to sound or weight change.

What to you mean?  From a 'there are alternatives' sense or an 'effect' perspective?

Odyssey MXM 1W

55 minutes ago, Golfrnut said:

What to you mean?  From a 'there are alternatives' sense or an 'effect' perspective?

I am seeing other solutions here like lead tapes and cotton balls by other members.

TaylorMade M6 Tour AD BB
Ping G400 2 Hybrid Tour AD DI
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged Irons
Titleist Vokey SM8s
Bettinardi Tour DASS
Pro V1X low number

1 minute ago, caller said:

I am seeing other solutions here like lead tapes and cotton balls by other members.

For sure.  Lead tape probably leaves the most uncertainty on sound, but weight is weight, and if it doesn't work for sound then you just remove it and go a different route.  People have been using cotton balls and yarn for ages as well.  I would say, if it's yours and it's going to stay yours, have a field day...just don't pass of things down the road with all kinds of potentially non-conforming tweaks done to it.  If you install it, you need to be able to get it out in those cases or not pass it on.

Odyssey MXM 1W

11 hours ago, Albatross85 said:

How much weight are you suggesting to the crown and what part of the crown would be considered neutral?

2 hours ago, Kevmonton said:

How much weight are you suggesting to the crown and what part of the crown would be considered neutral?

4 grams would get you to D3.5 and the placement is irrelevant. You can’t impact flight with 4 grams. That’s 2% of the head weight. 

• Like 2
  • G410 LST 9* - Diamana D+ Limited 70TX
  • TM SIM Ti 14.25* - Fuji Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 7X
  • TM M5 Ti 18.25* - Fuji Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 7X
  • Adams CMB/MB2 4-Pw - Modus 120X 4-7/PX LZ 6.5 8-Pw
  • Wilson FG Tour V4 50* - PX LZ 6.5 
  • Mizuno T7 55* - PX LZ 6.5
  • Cobra Tour Raw 60.08V - DG TI Onyx S400
  • Odyssey Rossie WHP
  • Bridgestone Tour B XS

Just to add, it's about 1.6G +- per SW point at your driver length.  Don't know how much previous experience you have with hot melt, but be prepared to give yourself a bit of a tolerance.  It's not easy to nail a pull of the gun to get exactly the amount you want in there, it takes some practice and scrapping of some hot melt to do so.

Edited by Golfrnut

Odyssey MXM 1W