Junior Staff <> Sponsorship?

I noticed that a few kids have access to equipment somewhat similar to a pro. Get the newest clubs a month or two before general public, likely have some discounted access. I remember reading some kids getting fitted at the Kingdom etc (I am referring to kids 10/11 and under)

Was curious - how good of a golfer do you need to be to get on the "TM Junior Staff" (or whatever thats called?)? Or is it just a connection based deal?  

The easiest one is the Taylormade AJGA discount used to be 40% but now I believe is 30%. All you need to do is be an AJGA member. This is a great place to buy balls.

I been successful in the past with Mizuno by just calling the local rep they gave a 25% discount to buy irons. Had to be very very persistent to find the guy and send pictures of my kid playing golf to get it.

To be honest if you call around I am almost certain you can get discounts from almost anyone.  Not sure if anyone gets it free as amateur. I am sure if you win a few big tournaments the discounts get much deeper. Maybe someone who has can shed more light on this.

I know there are free shoes and lots of other things out there and they hand them out at some tournaments to everyone.  Most of the time it's not something you want.

Callaway also has discount for juniors our pro at  local talked to them and they gave it to us at a demo day.  This a big reason to go to Demo days because you can meet the local reps and most them want to help. You not going to get a huge discount but they do help.  I think  we got  20%  off MSRP. 

All these discounts are great but if I look around sometimes I can still get a better deal looking around online if your not buying the latest club. 

Also don't rule out eBay or golfwrx forums lot's of decent stuff  that will save a ton of money out there if you can find it. You don't need the latest clubs to win either.

Edited by tiger1873
  • Like 2

15+ years ago when I was playing Titleist (AJGA's sponsor at the time) would do a "sponsorship" if you were in the top 100 in the Golfweek rankings. We would get free balls, gloves, and other things like that. You could generally find a way to get free equipment too if you put a little bit of effort into it. Most of the bigger tournaments and invitationals had OEM sales reps at them so if you were good enough it just took a few conversations with them to get the "hook up".

• Like 2

Be Good they will find you. IG helps. Having a coach connected with some of the bigger OEM helps. My kid got a care package from one of the OEM's this fall after having a successful summer.  TM will send things to almost any kid it seems or quicker than most. From what the OEM contact I have told me its based on rankings when they will entertain bringing a kid on their junior staff.  Most start with hats, gloves, balls. From there it goes into woods then irons and wedges. But you will find each OEM is different than the last. But some will offer discounts to juniors just like some fitters will offer junior fittings/pricing as well. I found a place here that fits juniors at no cost. 

• Like 4

One thing I forgot to add is a lot parents will say they are staff but really are not and will say they are if if they are just getting a discount.

You sort of figure this out since once you start playing around a lot many many very good high ranked kids with family that not rich by any means and they have old clubs.  The only ones getting free stuff are at the highest levels or are international kids where there country pays for everything. 

I see a ton kids playing really old stuff and they have decent rankings and near the top for their grad year.  No way they are playing the old drivers and clubs in their bag if they could get a new one for free.

Edited by tiger1873
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

One thing I forgot to add is a lot parents will say they are staff but really are not and will say they are if if they are just getting a discount.

You sort of figure this out since once you start playing around a lot many many very good high ranked kids with family that not rich by any means and they have old clubs.  The only ones getting free stuff are at the highest levels or are international kids where there country pays for everything. 

I see a ton kids playing really old stuff and they have decent rankings and near the top for their grad year.  No way they are playing the old drivers and clubs in their bag if they could get a new one for free.

BINGO, we have run to a few players that there parents say they are staff players. funny thing is no one else knows about those deals 

• Like 2

Are there any WRX parents on this forum with juniors who are currently being sponsored? 

Would you be willing to raise your hand and tell us about how it happened?  I'm guessing a combination of #1 Great finishes at big tournaments (multiple times), little bit of self promotion on IG,  some networking and a bit of good fortune?

• Like 2

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

2 hours ago, wildcatden said:

Are there any WRX parents on this forum with juniors who are currently being sponsored? 

Would you be willing to raise your hand and tell us about how it happened?  I'm guessing a combination of #1 Great finishes at big tournaments (multiple times), little bit of self promotion on IG,  some networking and a bit of good fortune?

They aren't allowed to talk about it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

My buddy has a 13 year old son who gets Nike and Titleist stuff. He gets a care package several times a year from both companies. Clothes, hats, shoes, balls. He is one of the top kids in his class and those companies came to him. He didn’t do anything to get it. He was also contacted by Callaway and said no since he already had stuff from the other companies. I would say he has been getting the stuff for about 3 years. He recently did well in a very big tournament and now they are paying for him to get fit irons. Up to this point he just got discounts on clubs 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ConcernedBoutCOVID said:

It's usually done through coaches who have a relationship with the OEM, but the top ranked kids definitely get looks directly.

Everyone loves "free stuff".  

You don't have to be top ranked if you have a large social media following.  Have a friend that gets everything free from a manufacturer, and isn't top ranked.  His social media has a value to companies that they can't ignore.  When I say free, I am talking Bag, All Clubs, Balls, gloves, towels, hats.

Edited by heavy_hitter
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, heavy_hitter said:

You don't have to be top ranked if you have a large social media following.  Have a friend that gets everything free from a manufacturer, and isn't top ranked.  His social media has a value to companies that they can't ignore.  When I say free, I am talking Bag, All Clubs, Balls, gloves, towels, hats.

I see some of what you are talking about on social media.  It almost seems like some of the kids are doing advertisements for their sponsors.  Is it worth it?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, leezer99 said:

We asked my son if he wanted a phone for his birthday or pants and he said pants. He can’t stand kids that are on their phones all day completely disconnected from what’s going on around them. Although he’s the kid that has a book light in the car so he can read on the way home in the dark and brings his flash cards to the course so I can quiz him between shots.  

uhhhh, say what.  Who cares about secret swing tips........ I want to know your secret for this!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, hangontight said:

uhhhh, say what.  Who cares about secret swing tips........ I want to know your secret for this!  

My kids are both voracious readers. They’d both rather get lost in a story than an Instagram story. 

• Like 3
There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

8 minutes ago, leezer99 said:

My kids are both voracious readers. They’d both rather get lost in a story than an Instagram story. 

I wish mine was that way.

He would rather watch NFL stories and read football statistics.  To get him to open a book is like pulling teeth.  15 and has 2 left at this point!!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ConcernedBoutCOVID said:

I see some of what you are talking about on social media.  It almost seems like some of the kids are doing advertisements for their sponsors.  Is it worth it?

Trying to get a big social media following for free clubs. You would be far better to have the kid goof off and do something funny and stupid on the course than try and show  your raising the next tiger woods. 

The parents of a good junior golfer has a 1000 legitimate friends if they are lucky. The parent of the idiot golfer has 5 million followers  and just made $50k from youtube on their viral video last week and I bet you they don't care what club they used.

Edited by tiger1873
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, jkpgolf said:

A lot of these kids are full of it! They say they get this or that. Not always true.

Yes, a lot of kids are getting the balls, gloves, hats, shoes, but only the best of the best at the younger ages. 11-14. The rest lie and say they get clubs etc. just to "keep up". A SoCal kid, class of either '25 or '26, posted a few days ago that he was at the kingdom, implied he's getting clubs. He's not. He's Just super jealous of his friends who do get stuff from TaylorMade. Anyone can pay to get fitted at the kingdom, then post they were there. That's an expensive IG post, just to "keep up".

You talking about MM?  I think he's good enough to get at least a partial deal from TM.

On 2/5/2021 at 1:57 PM, jkpgolf said:

A lot of these kids are full of it! They say they get this or that. Not always true.

Yes, a lot of kids are getting the balls, gloves, hats, shoes, but only the best of the best at the younger ages. 11-14. The rest lie and say they get clubs etc. just to "keep up". A SoCal kid, class of either '25 or '26, posted a few days ago that he was at the kingdom, implied he's getting clubs. He's not. He's Just super jealous of his friends who do get stuff from TaylorMade. Anyone can pay to get fitted at the kingdom, then post they were there. That's an expensive IG post, just to "keep up".

12 hours ago, leezer99 said:

You talking about MM?  I think he's good enough to get at least a partial deal from TM.

10 hours ago, tiger1873 said:

Taylormade sort of throws around staff deals like candy as a marketing ploy to buy overpriced equipment.

everyone gets the deals they have.

Really grown up when a parent accuses a kid of being super jealous of his friends because they think he implied something on social media. Yes, some kids might exaggerate or imply things but they are kids and we’re the adults (sometimes). And if his account is managed by a parent than take your jabs at the parent not a 13-14yo kid. 
   If a kid is happy he visited TM Kingdom and posts it on IG so be it. If he/parents want to pay for a TM fitting, that is their business.  
   Yes, it’s an “expensive IG post”but isn’t this sport expensive.  Some 10-11 yo or 9yo gets the latest $500+ driver to gain 5 extra yds, a Scotty, a trackman etc. Or they take lessons 2x per week, play in tournaments 2-3x/month, have a swing coach/putting coach, attend college summer camps, along with a fitness program.   I am sure the list can go on and on.  If the parents can afford it, than that is their choice.  
        I’m  unsure what “SoCal kid” your referring too, but if it’s MM as leezer asked, I didn’t find anything wrong with his IG post.   
     I think most 8-14 boys could care less if another kid post pictures of himself at the Kingdom (unsure if the same with girls).  They probably think it’s cool until they hear their dad or mom criticizing the kid and they start to feel the same way.  

*sorry for the long post (first post), I will keep it short next time.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Medson said:

I deleted Instagram from my phone when my kid first got into golf. 

Trust me, not having it is good for your mental health. 

Yep, I killed my FB account (yes, I know they own IG) and life got so much less complicated after that. I really just like clowning around on IG now. Posted a picture of my son testing a “new” 5 wood the other day... it was a 906f4 which is older than him. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Live2fight said:

Really grown up when a parent accuses a kid of being super jealous of his friends because they think he implied something on social media. Yes, some kids might exaggerate or imply things but they are kids and we’re the adults (sometimes). And if his account is managed by a parent than take your jabs at the parent not a 13-14yo kid. 
   If a kid is happy he visited TM Kingdom and posts it on IG so be it. If he/parents want to pay for a TM fitting, that is their business.  
   Yes, it’s an “expensive IG post”but isn’t this sport expensive.  Some 10-11 yo or 9yo gets the latest $500+ driver to gain 5 extra yds, a Scotty, a trackman etc. Or they take lessons 2x per week, play in tournaments 2-3x/month, have a swing coach/putting coach, attend college summer camps, along with a fitness program.   I am sure the list can go on and on.  If the parents can afford it, than that is their choice.  
        I’m  unsure what “SoCal kid” your referring too, but if it’s MM as leezer asked, I didn’t find anything wrong with his IG post.   
     I think most 8-14 boys could care less if another kid post pictures of himself at the Kingdom (unsure if the same with girls).  They probably think it’s cool until they hear their dad or mom criticizing the kid and they start to feel the same way.  

*sorry for the long post (first post), I will keep it short next time.  

You are 110% correct. It's the adults who run the social media and hence the ones jealous.  But the kid Im talking about is not MM (Don't know who that is. assume that is initials you are using) This kids first name starts with a D. Anyway I know parents run the account, so I guess they are the jealous ones.  Should not post after a few beers, now I know.  Cheers. I will check myself before my next post.  You are right. My sincerest apologies. 

J

Edited by jkpgolf
  • Like 2