Swing Weight and Static Weight Quest

Have a Taylormade SIM driver, head with weights comes in at 195g and when I weigh the shaft which is an evenflow 65g black, MCC align grip, it weighs in at 132g at 45inches playing length.

The 195g head weight I get is normal but the 132g shaft/grip/sleeve seems a touch high. When I throw it all on the swing weight scale I come out around D9 with a static weigh of 327g.

is it just me or does the weight of the shaft seem off?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The adapter counts toward head weight not shaft weight, I suspect everything is fine.

If I read the OP correctly, he actually weighed the head and shaft separately (and together).   If yes, then the shaft weight doesn't add up. Shaft + grip + adapter = 65 + 51 + 6 = 122.

No (or at least not to my knowledge) I had club champion do all the install work. I’m going to play with the 3G weight and see how that works and run it by club champion tomorrow to recheck the swing

Posted Images

Regular or mid-size grip?

Either way, it does seem on the high side for the shaft weight.

Cobra RAD Speed 9* : Ventus Blue 6-S

Cobra RAD Speed 3W : Graphite Design AD TP8-S

Cobra ForgedTec 3-iron : Ventus Blue HB 8-S

Srixon Z785 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 120-S

Cleveland RTX3 50, 54: Nippon 115-S Wedge

Cobra MIM Black 58 : Nippon 125-S Wedge

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

1 hour ago, zrheisler22 said:

Have a Taylormade SIM driver, head with weights comes in at 195g and when I weigh the shaft which is an evenflow 65g black, MCC align grip, it weighs in at 132g at 45inches playing length.

The 195g head weight I get is normal but the 132g shaft/grip/sleeve seems a touch high. When I throw it all on the swing weight scale I come out around D9 with a static weigh of 327g.

is it just me or does the weight of the shaft seem off?

The adapter should be included in the head weight, not the shaft weight.  So take 6 gm from the shaft/grip weight and move it over to the head weight.

If I read the OP correctly, he actually weighed the head and shaft separately (and together).

If yes, then the shaft weight doesn't add up. Shaft + grip + adapter = 65 + 51 + 6 = 122.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jvincent said:

If I read the OP correctly, he actually weighed the head and shaft separately (and together).

If yes, then the shaft weight doesn't add up. Shaft + grip + adapter = 65 + 51 + 6 = 122.

Good point, although it's a bit worse than that.   I believe  65 gm is the uncut weight so the cut weight of the shaft should be even less - more like 61 gm.     I could see some variations with the grip and shaft weight - maybe an extra 5 gm but 15 gm is a bit extreme.

Was the shaft bought new and uncut or used?

6 minutes ago, Stuart_G said:

Good point, although it's a bit worse than that.   I believe  65 gm is the uncut weight so the cut weight of the shaft should be even less - more like 61 gm.     I could see some variations with the grip and shaft weight - maybe an extra 5 gm but 15 gm is a bit extreme.

Was the shaft bought new and uncut or used?

I bought it off a fitter that works for club champion. He had it in his old gamer but was switching to something new and it happened to be the same shaft that gave me the best numbers. 

The uncut weight is 67 but still I couldn’t figure out how to get from say 63/64 cut weight, plus 52 for the grip, 6 for the FCT sleeve, and maybe a G or 2 to 132 from my scale.

I don’t really mind the set up, I hit it fairly well outside of the occasional right Miss, I was thinking of dropping the 10G front weight to a 3G.

Just now, zrheisler22 said:

I bought it off a fitter that works for club champion. He had it in his old gamer but was switching to something new and it happened to be the same shaft that gave me the best numbers. 

The uncut weight is 67 but still I couldn’t figure out how to get from say 63/64 cut weight, plus 52 for the grip, 6 for the FCT sleeve, and maybe a G or 2 to 132 from my scale.

I don’t really mind the set up, I hit it fairly well outside of the occasional right Miss, I was thinking of dropping the 10G front weight to a 3G.

Did you install the grip?  If so, did you actually measure the cut shaft weight before putting a grip on?

Was the adapter already installed or did you install it?

The two most common reasons a weight like this would be higher than expected would be:

1) a shaft extension was used in the butt end.

2) a tip weight could have been used when the adapter was installed.

But, it may not be important if it works well for you as is.

1 minute ago, Stuart_G said:

Did you install the grip?  If so, did you actually measure the cut shaft weight before putting a grip on?

The two most common reasons a weight like this would be higher than expected would be:

No (or at least not to my knowledge) I had club champion do all the install work. I’m going to play with the 3G weight and see how that works and run it by club champion tomorrow to recheck the swing weight

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Stuart_G said:

Shaft extension is a good guess although it doesn't line up with the D9 swingweight.

A good Monday morning mystery.

11 minutes ago, jvincent said:

Shaft extension is a good guess although it doesn't line up with the D9 swingweight.

A good Monday morning mystery.

My guess is tip weight as the guy I bought it off as 6’6 so anything under 45inches would have been on the short side for him. 

if it is a tip weight, I’ll just drop the head weight slightly 

1 hour ago, Stuart_G said:

Is there anyway to tell if a tip weight was installed without taking off the adapter? I can easily and inexpensively replace the grip to check that. 

if it is a tip weight, would that be almost the same as adding head weight given it’s location?

14 minutes ago, zrheisler22 said:

Is there anyway to tell if a tip weight was installed without taking off the adapter? I can easily and inexpensively replace the grip to check that. 

if it is a tip weight, would that be almost the same as adding head weight given it’s location?

Yes, tip weights would be considered part of the head weight.

Only way to be sure that I know with graphite shafts is to pull the adapter.   No way to really tell from the butt end whether there is a tip weight or just epoxy in the tip.   The adapter can be reused but may have to replace the plastic ferrule.  so usually only a few bucks plus the cost of pulling and reinstalling.

A tip weight would typically effect the swing weight more than the static weight.  It's not impossible but it's rare to see a full 10 gm (or more) of tip weight used in a graphite wood shaft.  So the fact that both the static weight and the swing weight are high is a bit strange in itself. 

• Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, Stuart_G said:

Only way to be sure that I know with graphite shafts is to pull the adapter.   No way to really tell from the butt end whether there is a tip weight or just epoxy in the tip.   The adapter can be reused but may have to replace the plastic ferrule.  so usually only a few bucks plus the cost of pulling and reinstalling.

A tip weight would typically effect the swing weight more than the static weight.  It's not impossible but it's rare to see a full 10 gm (or more) of tip weight used in a graphite wood shaft.  So the fact that both the static weight and the swing weight are high is a bit strange in itself. 

The tip weight would make sense to me as this originally was in my M2 which wasn’t hot melted but was built to play at D7/D8 per the spec sheet I just found.

On 2/1/2021 at 10:50 AM, Stuart_G said:

Weighed everything again at GG, came in at D8 and with the shaft being one of the handcrafted made in San Diego, I’m 99% they used a tip weight to make up for the SW with cutting it down. 

14 minutes ago, roundersmitty said:

Are you sure it’s reading D9? That is with the grip installed? My 2017 M2 is 330 static. With a midsize grip, 45” tensei blue 60s comes in at D0.  There must be tons of weight near the tip or something

Yup, weighed it at GG today came in at D8 on the nose which matches the buildsheet I had from Club Champion.

It’s a handcrafted shaft so the weight has to be pretty close to the 67g stated so they must have put a tip weight in the shaft to get the swing weight back up. I ordered a 3G weight for the front track to swap out so hopefully that will get it back down to D6. 

On 2/1/2021 at 10:50 AM, Stuart_G said:

Question for you since you definitely have more club building experience than I do. Thinking about dropping the back weight down to 5 grams and the front weight down to 5 grams as well, which will save a total of 6g of weight bringing the static weight to 322G and the swing weight to D5

Would I be messing anything up performance wise since the tip weight isn’t directly behind the golf ball where as the weight I’d be removing is behind it.

edit: my main goal is I think the heavy swing weight has hindered my ability to release the club as my Miss has turned dramatically more towards the right with it vs any other club in the bag. 

Edited by zrheisler22
1 hour ago, zrheisler22 said:

Question for you since you definitely have more club building experience than I do. Thinking about dropping the back weight down to 5 grams and the front weight down to 5 grams as well, which will save a total of 6g of weight bringing the static weight to 322G and the swing weight to D5

Would I be messing anything up performance wise since the tip weight isn’t directly behind the golf ball where as the weight I’d be removing is behind it.

edit: my main goal is I think the heavy swing weight has hindered my ability to release the club as my Miss has turned dramatically more towards the right with it vs any other club in the bag. 

For the amounts typically used, the fact that tip weight are in the hosel and not behind the impact location doesn't really matter.  So the location of the weight isn't the problem.   It's either a static weight issue or a head weight issue.   Unfortunately there is no way to know ahead of time (without some additional testing) what the best fix will be.   e.g. How much of the problem is static weight and how much is head weight.

I didn't realize you were using any back weights?

What I'd recommend is drop both the static weight and head weight down as much as you can with the club.  Forget any previous swing weight values or measurements and don't even bother weighing anything yet.  Then go to the range with some lead tape and work back up to see if you can find the 'sweet spot'.   Howard's tutorial is the best guide to help you with that.   After you've got it dialed in, that's the time to start measuring.

Edited by Stuart_G
11 hours ago, Stuart_G said:

For the amounts typically used, the fact that tip weight are in the hosel and not behind the impact location doesn't really matter.  So the location of the weight isn't the problem.   It's either a static weight issue or a head weight issue.   Unfortunately there is no way to know ahead of time (without some additional testing) what the best fix will be.   e.g. How much of the problem is static weight and how much is head weight.

What I'd recommend is drop both the static weight and head weight down as much as you can with the club.  Forget any previous swing weight values or measurements and don't even bother weighing anything yet.  Then go to the range with some lead tape and work back up to see if you can find the 'sweet spot'.   Howard's tutorial is the best guide to help you with that.   After you've got it dialed in, that's the time to start measuring.

The weights in my SIM are both 8grams. I’ve got an extra 5gram weight for the back and a 3g weight for the sliding track. Probably going to toss in the 5G weight and make a 5G front weight. This will get the total head weight at 186 if you don’t include the tip weight and 196 if you do. Overall the static weight would be around 322 and SW at D5

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2021 at 9:41 AM, Stuart_G said:

Turns out they just simply used an epoxy/tungsten mixture. Going to take it in and see if they can take it out then just reinstall a new tip without any weight.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2021 at 9:41 AM, Stuart_G said:

Well had @Club Championtry to take the epoxy back out and they ended up splintering the shaft. Last time I’ll ever use them for any club building stuff. 

650BC30C-9571-413A-AEB7-2909D5A05062.jpeg

CDFAEA68-ECC6-4CA2-B92D-2B086F101713.jpeg