How do you build with Ping (208g) driver heads?

Most of the driver heads in my arsenal are around 196. I am playing around with a G410 LST which comes in at 208 (16g weight in back) without the adapter! I play right at 45" and when I through a small batch hulk green 60 tx in there, the SW was like E1!!! I have a host of other shafts, but I just have a hard time believing that Ping is built to only play counter-balanced shafts (I have to look at some of mine that have fit in the past to see). I have everything from 80g ones to that hulk at 60.

It just caught my attention that I would potentially have to reduce that back weight to almost nothing to get the swing weight right? I feel fairly adept at club building and know how the different parts can change weight, but just at a loss of the shear magnitude of the weight difference? Maybe someone can help me understand Ping's philosophy?

I see guys like Cameron Champ at D5+

Edited by -MG-
  • -MG- changed the title to How do you build with Ping (208g) driver heads?
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The flip side to all of this is Ping heads are great for short-shaft driver builds.  I built one at 43.75" a few years ago and really loved it! (just not enough to NOT tinker with it and eventually de

RIght - but I feel like that wasn't the exact design of the club. In my instance if I want to achieve D3 and I'm E1, I have to go down basically the entire weight and little weight in the back and I f

Easiest solution is to use smaller weights. Golfworks has a 10g for the G410.

Cobra RAD Speed 9* : Ventus Blue 6-S

Cobra RAD Speed 3W : Graphite Design AD TP8-S

Cobra ForgedTec 3-iron : Ventus Blue HB 8-S

Srixon Z785 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 120-S

Cleveland RTX3 50, 54: Nippon 115-S Wedge

Cobra MIM Black 58 : Nippon 125-S Wedge

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

3 minutes ago, jvincent said:

Easiest solution is to use smaller weights. Golfworks has a 10g for the G410.

RIght - but I feel like that wasn't the exact design of the club. In my instance if I want to achieve D3 and I'm E1, I have to go down basically the entire weight and little weight in the back and I feel like I am not taking advantage of the weight in the rear as Ping intended. So my question is more around what is the thought process for them if everyone else in the industry is 8-10g lighter?

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, -MG- said:

Most of the driver heads in my arsenal are around 196. I am playing around with a G410 LST which comes in at 208 (16g weight in back) without the adapter! I play right at 45" and when I through a small batch hulk green 60 tx in there, the SW was like E1!!! I have a host of other shafts, but I just have a hard time believing that Ping is built to only play counter-balanced shafts (I have to look at some of mine that have fit in the past to see). I have everything from 80g ones to that hulk at 60.

It just caught my attention that I would potentially have to reduce that back weight to almost nothing to get the swing weight right? I feel fairly adept at club building and know how the different parts can change weight, but just at a loss of the shear magnitude of the weight difference? Maybe someone can help me understand Ping's philosophy?

I see guys like Cameron Champ at D5+

I play the G410 LST as well.

You have a few options to bring the SW back into whack: 

(i) swap out the 16g back weight; Golf Works offers OEM version for $18 as low as 10g; so that would bring you down from +/-E1 to D7/8 (https://www.golfworks.com/ping-g410-driver-weights/p/pgc007/); you can also jump on eBay and find aftermarket versions of the back weight even lighter then 10g

(ii) not sure what grip you're currently playing; but re-gripping with a heavier grip will serve to counterbalance the shaft; every +/- 10g of grip weight = +/-2SW points (if you're in-love with your grip, lead tape under the grip is another option)

(iii) shorten the shaft... 

(iv) swap out the shaft for a counterbalanced one (there's a reason Ping's stock shafts are all CB versions)

I brought my SW back to D5 through a combination of i, ii, & iv

Good luck!

5 minutes ago, -MG- said:

RIght - but I feel like that wasn't the exact design of the club. In my instance if I want to achieve D3 and I'm E1, I have to go down basically the entire weight and little weight in the back and I feel like I am not taking advantage of the weight in the rear as Ping intended. So my question is more around what is the thought process for them if everyone else in the industry is 8-10g lighter?

There is likely already plenty of weight to the rear, just by the shape and raw weight of the head design.  It does seem odd that they are making them so heavy, when their stock lengths are not shorter.  If you are unable to get the head weight where you need it, it is not worth fighting it.  I'd move on to something else

Counterbalanced shafts are your friend. I like my swingweight around E0. I play a 60g Tensei Orange 60X in my PXG which is 206g, and the SW is right around E0. Shafts like VA Nemesys are good too. Heavy heads like Ping and PXG seem to be made for players who like to use counterbalanced shafts. I talked to a fitter who said that was a really common combination. Give some of those a try. I know you said you have a hard time believing that these were made for counterbalancing, but it kinda seems that way. If you like the head it might be a good idea to embrace it and see if you can learn to love it, or switch to a different lighter head.

Edited by Highlander84

The flip side to all of this is Ping heads are great for short-shaft driver builds.  I built one at 43.75" a few years ago and really loved it! (just not enough to NOT tinker with it and eventually destroy the whole mojo I had going with it...sigh)

• Like 4

Callaway Epic Flash 12.0, 5.5 Evenflow green (until Ping g425 Max 12/Tensei 55 shows up)
Ping g410 4h & 5h hybrids

Malty DBM 6-Gap, TT Elevate 95S

Hogan TK 57* (until Ping Glide 3.0 54 & 58 show up)

TP Mills Sycamore/Spaulding TPM VIII/Mannkrafted MA-99/Bellum Winmore 787 Tie-Fighter

1 hour ago, -MG- said:

I'm not a Ping guy but I believe most (all ?) of their stock shaft offerings are counter balanced so it's a design philosophy on their part.

Cobra RAD Speed 9* : Ventus Blue 6-S

Cobra RAD Speed 3W : Graphite Design AD TP8-S

Cobra ForgedTec 3-iron : Ventus Blue HB 8-S

Srixon Z785 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 120-S

Cleveland RTX3 50, 54: Nippon 115-S Wedge

Cobra MIM Black 58 : Nippon 125-S Wedge

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

I'm lucky in that I'm a shorter guy and like playing my driver around 44.5", so Ping is actually really appealing because of this.  I would just install my shaft to get to 44.5-44.75" and see where that lands swing weight wise.  Just ballparking it, I don't think too much lead tape or hot melt would be needed to get to my preferred D3.

If the head is 208 it has weight added to it. I don’t know know if that is a heavier weight than stock or if it has internal weight added. Most ping heads come in at 199-201 without the adaptor. And are meant to play with a counterbalanced shaft. 

I agree with the above poster, I play my driver at 44.5 and love the heavy heads to start with. I only needed to add 3 grams to my new head to get it to my desired swingweight. 

Ping G425 Max 10.5 Tour Ad VR 6

Ping G425 Max 16.5 Ventus Red 7

Taylormade SIM 20.5 Blueboard 83

Ping G25 20* Hybrid Kiyoshi Purple
Taylormade Combo P790 5-7

P770 8-AW Steelfiber FC 115
Ping Glide Stealth 56 WS and 60 ES
Ping PLD Prime Tyne 4

On 2/2/2021 at 1:42 PM, jvincent said:

I'm not a Ping guy but I believe most (all ?) of their stock shaft offerings are counter balanced so it's a design philosophy on their part.

The Alta CB is a counter balanced shaft.  The Tensei Raw Orange has slightly counter balance to it but not as much as Alta CB.  This is why Ping plays the CB at 45.75 and all other shafts at 45.25"

G425 MAX 9*
G425 LST 3W
G425 3H,4H
SRIXON ZX5 5-PW W/ MMT105S HS ONCE.
MG2 48 // MG HT RAW 52, 56
ODYSSEY 2 BALL CS 38"