Hey everyone i need a low spin 3 wood head. i was fit and tried multiple different heads and shafts and could not find a low enough spin combo.  114-119 swing speed with driver.  Tried callaway, ping, titleist. Did not have the sim 2 heads so have not tried them. Just looking for recommendations for a low spinning head to hopefully try.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you can find an older 913 F.d it's the lowest spinning 3w i've found

If you tried Ping's LST and Callaway's Subzero and had the SZ heavy weights in the lower spin setting and that didn't work for you I'd take a closer look at shafts. Or if you're inside on a monitor maybe take one to the range and the course to see if your real world results are better. Probably worth a quick look from an instructor to see if you can make any basic swing tweaks without going crazy on swing changes. Best of luck to you. 

Dude, the new Epic Speed 3 wood is just a mini driver. Matty at TXG was barely getting 2000 rpm's out of it off the tee and it was under 2500 off the deck. 

Titleist TSi3 8º - LAGP TOUR AXS BLU 70X
Titleist 917F3 16.5º - Grafalloy blue X
Titleist U500 18º HZDRUS Black Smoke RDX 6.5
Mizuno MP-5,  4-9 C-Taper 130
Vokey SM6 47º, 52º, 56º, 60 C-Taper
Scotty Special Select Newport 2 
Titleist Left Dash -ProV1x

13 hours ago, bnperrone said:

If you tried Ping's LST and Callaway's Subzero and had the SZ heavy weights in the lower spin setting and that didn't work for you I'd take a closer look at shafts. Or if you're inside on a monitor maybe take one to the range and the course to see if your real world results are better. Probably worth a quick look from an instructor to see if you can make any basic swing tweaks without going crazy on swing changes. Best of luck to you. 

^^^This^^^.  Also, the SIM Ti fairway woods are some of the lowest spinning heads out currently.

Taylormade ONE Tensei Pro Blue 70TX | Taylormade SIM Ti Kai'li 80X  | Callaway '16 Apex HC Hzrdus 105 X | Callaway '16 Apex HC Hzrdus 105 X | Srixon 765 Nippon 2G18 SCobra MIM B 51° / 56° |  Rossie WHP

i hit the epic speed or it may have just been the original epic not 100% on which it was,  They had pulled the original sim stuff as they were waiting on the Sim 2. On trackman was getting like 3500 rpm of spin with multiple heads and like 5 or 6 different shafts.  Couldnt find a head that would bring it down.  Was at about a -1* angle of attack as well so not chopping down on it. 

1 hour ago, LowDime said:

i hit the epic speed or it may have just been the original epic not 100% on which it was,  They had pulled the original sim stuff as they were waiting on the Sim 2. On trackman was getting like 3500 rpm of spin with multiple heads and like 5 or 6 different shafts.  Couldnt find a head that would bring it down.  Was at about a -1* angle of attack as well so not chopping down on it. 

Loft and delivery are the main thing. Shaft honestly won't dent it that much. For some reason, I found the G410 LST head very spinny. In the end though you're probably flipping a little bit if you're getting 3500 rpm+ with a low spinning head - I definitely was. It's pretty easy for a good golfer to adjust that and change spin loft. I'd try a 13.5 head and then go to a 5w up from that to attack greens on second shots. 

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9* Ventus Black 6x

Callaway EFSZ @ 14* Ventus Blue 7x

Callaway Rogue SZ Tour Issue 5w 17* Tour AD TP 8x

Taylormade Sim UDI 2i Hzrdus Handcrafted Black 105x

Callaway Tour Issue Apex 2019 Hybrid @ 19* Veylix Rome 988X

Srixon z745 4-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey JDM Forged 50F, 56M, SM4 60S Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Odyssey White Hot Pro #7 | Odyssey White Hot Pro #1 | Byron Morgan DH89 34/70*/2*

Taylormade TP5X 2021

Ping Hoofer

53 minutes ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

Loft and delivery are the main thing. Shaft honestly won't dent it that much. For some reason, I found the G410 LST head very spinny. In the end though you're probably flipping a little bit if you're getting 3500 rpm+ with a low spinning head - I definitely was. It's pretty easy for a good golfer to adjust that and change spin loft. I'd try a 13.5 head and then go to a 5w up from that to attack greens on second shots. 

Nothing wrong with 3.5k spin tho with a fairway, any less is going to lose some versatility unless you can hit moonballs with it to have a chance to go into a green or light rough.  My last fitting in the fall ended up having me fit to a 9* Mavrik SZ w/ EF black 70 6.5 and I would get around 2500 spin (low for me as I have issues with that bloody club) even with a positive attack.  a Sim TI 14* w/ same shaft spun around 3.5k and was only carrying about 10y less than the Mavrik, albeit a lower trajectory.  

Was interesting to see and go back and forth between them and look at the numbers.

The Sim Ti is a legit monster off the tee and ended up being too long vs. my driver (which I somehow ended up playing more after just sucking it up and hitting a fade off the tee).

What's In The Ping Moonlite:
Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

18 minutes ago, gwelfgulfer said:

Nothing wrong with 3.5k spin tho with a fairway, any less is going to lose some versatility unless you can hit moonballs with it to have a chance to go into a green or light rough.  My last fitting in the fall ended up having me fit to a 9* Mavrik SZ w/ EF black 70 6.5 and I would get around 2500 spin (low for me as I have issues with that bloody club) even with a positive attack.  a Sim TI 14* w/ same shaft spun around 3.5k and was only carrying about 10y less than the Mavrik, albeit a lower trajectory.  

Was interesting to see and go back and forth between them and look at the numbers.

The Sim Ti is a legit monster off the tee and ended up being too long vs. my driver (which I somehow ended up playing more after just sucking it up and hitting a fade off the tee).

Sorry, yes you make a good point -3500 or just under is honestly pretty good for a stable 3w. I don't know if it was just the hack build I did on the LST 3w but it was spinning at like 4500 compared to my Sim Max at 3000k. I picked up 20 yards in the air. 

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9* Ventus Black 6x

Callaway EFSZ @ 14* Ventus Blue 7x

Callaway Rogue SZ Tour Issue 5w 17* Tour AD TP 8x

Taylormade Sim UDI 2i Hzrdus Handcrafted Black 105x

Callaway Tour Issue Apex 2019 Hybrid @ 19* Veylix Rome 988X

Srixon z745 4-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey JDM Forged 50F, 56M, SM4 60S Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Odyssey White Hot Pro #7 | Odyssey White Hot Pro #1 | Byron Morgan DH89 34/70*/2*

Taylormade TP5X 2021

Ping Hoofer

16 minutes ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

Sorry, yes you make a good point -3500 or just under is honestly pretty good for a stable 3w. I don't know if it was just the hack build I did on the LST 3w but it was spinning at like 4500 compared to my Sim Max at 3000k. I picked up 20 yards in the air. 

I couldn't imagine actually wanting a sub 3k spinning 3 wood.  I've been a head case with driver in hand for 10+ years and relied on strong 3 woods and likes for far too long, so understand playing it off the tee only as having little to no confidence in (more yourself in trying to do too much and manage expectations) putting a good swing with the driver and keeping it in play.

Moto for this year is going to be 'keep the f'n ball in play and stop chasing numbers, even if it means being a bit shorter playing a cut/fade with the driver'.  Don't need a low spinning 3wood to roll out more than expected and get me in more trouble with my "safe" club in hand...

To the OP, for a cheaper option to test things, look at older Adams Super LS stuff or check out the Tour Edge site for their discounted/discontinued models for a great option.  Some really good deal can be found on there from time to time for fantastic heads.

Edited by setter02

What's In The Ping Moonlite:
Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

Cobra LTD fairways are some of the longest, lowest spinning ever made.

Sim Ti is the t****, been playing one for about a year. Cant balloon that thing if i tried. 

• G410 LST 9* - Diamana D+ Limited 70TX
  • TM SIM Ti 14.25* - Fuji Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 7X
  • TM M5 Ti 18.25* - Fuji Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 7X
  • Adams CMB/MB2 4-Pw - Modus 120X 4-7/PX LZ 6.5 8-Pw
  • Wilson FG Tour V4 50* - PX LZ 6.5 
  • Mizuno T7 55* - PX LZ 6.5
  • Cobra Tour Raw 60.08V - DG TI Onyx S400
  • Odyssey Rossie WHP
  • Bridgestone Tour B XS

I appreciate the thoughts everyone. I dont need a driver length 3 wood. I hit my current one about 265 or so. Distance is not the issue, Its an older m3 head with a bunch of hotmelt in the toe to get it from going left but i hit a high push cut with it and it spins to the moon i have no issue hitting it high either. Last year i struggled with a driver so i was trying to hit my 3 wood or 2 iron off most tee's to find the fairway which is what i want is a nice fairway finder that is a little more forgiving than my current set up. 

56 minutes ago, LowDime said:

I appreciate the thoughts everyone. I dont need a driver length 3 wood. I hit my current one about 265 or so. Distance is not the issue, Its an older m3 head with a bunch of hotmelt in the toe to get it from going left but i hit a high push cut with it and it spins to the moon i have no issue hitting it high either. Last year i struggled with a driver so i was trying to hit my 3 wood or 2 iron off most tee's to find the fairway which is what i want is a nice fairway finder that is a little more forgiving than my current set up. 

Go demo a PING LST model.  For me the 410 was not super low spin compared to TM or Cally, but very very stable and kept spin in a playable range.  I recently switched out of it because I wanted a bit more distance and a deeper face (use 3W predominately as a tee club). Haven’t hit the 425 but imagine it’s the same story.

PING G410 LST 9* - Aldila Rogue White 70TX

TaylorMade SIM 18* - Aldila Rogue White 80TX

PING G410 Crossover 19* - Project X 6.5

PING i210 4-U - Project X 6.5

PING Glide 3.0 54WS, 60SS - Project X 6.0

TaylorMade Spider X

Bridgestone Tour BX