2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

What’s Going On At PXG?

Lefty87

It’s just a dynamic pricing model. Same thing you see with concert tickets and tee times. And all they are doing is moving money between buckets. 
Every time their club prices go down, shaft prices go up. From + 25 to 39 to 49. Clubs go back up $10, shafts are back down to $39. Want the very best deal, and buy a stock configuration? Cool, they make it up in volume escalators in their contracts. 
Gen 2 and 0211 stuff moving better than gen 3? Just drop the price on one, raise the prices on another. 

They aren’t selling to pro shops and distributors so they don’t have anyone to protect. Sales volume tapers off and inventory creeps up, they just move the numbers around again and create artificial demand thru a perceived sale. 

29 minutes ago, cleverprimate24 said:

I've kinda suspected this is sort of a Tesla situation. Starting out, you sell at the luxury price point to establish the company and get to scale. Once the economies of scale are viable, you begin offering goods at a mid range price point that allows for more volume. Meanwhile, you still offer some premium products for those customers who want luxury goods or the perceived status that those might bring.

If you go back and read various interviews with Bob, this is exactly what he has stated his direction of the company would be. Good job!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NotThatGuyorAmI? said:

Strategy?

Same as all the others.  Get as much money from the suckers as possible.

You could buy a set of Tommy Armour clubs from Dick’s for what $500 that play as well as, well, anything, for all practical purposes.  You can order a set of Maltby clubs for 300.

We are talking Times vs Seiko vs Rolex.  The Timex keeps time better.  The Rolex is to some a degree an aesthetic choice and mostly a display of status.

Unlimited resources to build the best possible golf clubs?

Pretty funny.

This comparison falls apart as soon as you start talking about function.  A watch has one job, and it doesn't matter who's wearing it.  It'll perform the same for everyone who wears it.  There's differences in the performance of various brands, but the wrist they're wrapped around has no bearing on any of it.

There are people for whom PXG is the best performance option available.  You can't just list cheaper clubs and say that they're equivalent or better, because the functionality of a golf club is hugely user-dependent.  Those Tommy Armours or Maltbys might work just as well or better for you, but are unplayable for the next guy.

But it works both ways.  At the original price point a full PXG bag was thousands of dollars more expensive than other options.  That didn't translate into universal superiority, and nobody should have expected that it would.  However, the "PXG experience" was baked into the price of those clubs and still is.  You get the fitting, the adjustability, and a level of post-purchase support that you really can't find with many other brands.  That part of it gets lost in these....  discussions.

So what's that worth to you?  From your posts, and to others who have expressed similar opinions, it's either very little or nothing.

For me, the golfer who buys a stock set from Dick's is the sucker.  No matter what the cost is.  Nothing about that set is tailored to your game, and success with a bargain set pretty much comes down to luck.  Once you walk out of the store the company might have a warranty in place, but they're not going to help you tinker to get the most out of their product.  Effectively worthless at any price, unless it happens to be perfect for your size and swing.

That's just me though.  In terms of pricing there's really no upper limit if I'm getting something that's perfect for my game.  I believe you can't overpay for that.  

The Rolex in this scenario should be the $25,000 that people will pay for the gold plated Honmas or whatever.  PXGs are a drop in the bucket compared to that, and that whole business model is based on aesthetic/status.  PXG is objectively trying to make good clubs.  Whether or not you feel that they are, or are worth what they charge is the subjective part of the discussion.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Kid B said:

For me, the golfer who buys a stock set from Dick's is the sucker.  No matter what the cost is.  Nothing about that set is tailored to your game

Kind of disagree with this as lower price point items have their place in society as not many have the financial means to go full into a new hobby like others do.  It goes with my other hobbies as well in photography, archery and woodworking.

You can't call yourself a photographer and just use a cellphone camera (maybe if you are just an urban shooter I guess) as it will be the cheapest camera you can get (it's free with the phone...) and yet can't do much of anything compared to an actual camera with good quality glass unless you want to only shoot things within like 20'.

Archery is the same.  Sure, you can get a $100 Samick Sage and off you go, but is it going to truly perform the best against a fully kitted target compound, of course not.

Woodworking is a bit trickier as you can make great things with cheap, manual tools.  But try and batch things out without the equipment and you'll likely pull your hair out at how long it would take you just to go from a rough cut board to squared with nothing but a hand plan...

People have had to make due with what they can afford or have for thousands of years, even if what they have wasn't tailored to their needs and still found some level of success and enjoyment.

• Like 1

What's In The Ping Moonlite:
Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

On 2/3/2021 at 9:38 AM, Lefty87 said:

I just wanted to open a broad thread regarding PXG’s brand identity and this newfound business to consumer transparency we’re experiencing, without derailing conversation related to specific lineups and upcoming product. 

PXG has pulled a 180, going from a high margin/low volume strategy to a low margin/high volume approach in a matter of months. 

So, what gives? Is this truly an effect of the pandemic and current market volatility, or is the pandemic being utilized as a smokescreen for an underlying strategy? Right now, PXG are placing their product in as many hands as possible. Is this a mad rush to establish brand loyalty before the market (and their pricing) normalizes, or is it simply a shift in strategy to hold a greater market share? Is it both? I don’t know the answer and, honestly, maybe PXG doesn’t know exactly where this leads, but there’s no denying they are moving serious amounts of product right now.

The truth is, PXG is unlike any other manufacturer in the industry. Unlimited resources allow PXG to operate unlike anything else we’ve seen. PXG is probably the only OEM in the industry capable of running a loss leader campaign right now, which is what appears to be happening. Their strategy is a complete enigma right now; so, the talk about devaluing the brand is understandable, but not entirely accurate. 

Interested to hear the thoughts of those who are genuinely interested and not looking to bash a brand for being different. 

I brought this exact thing up in a PXG FB forum and also with the regional rep.   They initially started with setting the price for premium clubs first several years.  Did the Heroes pricing which is cool and frankly if anyone knew someone in milatary they could get that pricing if a family member.  Then llast spring when Covid hit they did the Heroes for everyone model.  I thought would be for a month or two but went all last year.  Which didnt agree with whats the point especially considering people were playing at all time levels last  year.  Only thing I can assume is they are going after market share.   The 0211 line was a stupid release in my opinion a few weeks after was launched was already discounted.   I mean just keep the Gen2 line as your entry level.   Gen2 woods gonna be better than any 0211.  Now the Prototype is the middle line and thankfully for us lefties will be available in drivers, hybrids and FW.

What i brought up to the rep was its not good tactics for their existing customer base when they want to upgrade to gen4 and the price of gen# craters.  If I was someone who bought Gen3 a year ago at $425 a stick Id be POed.    I also told her that most will just wait a month or so for the inevitable price drop since thats been policy for last year.   I really like their products and bobs a multi billionaire he prob dont care as long as he breaks even.  I was told they expanded a lot in AZ have 4 production buildings so lot of it is probably keeping up with demand.

One last thing they should expand the preowned doa 150% trade in on new gear and set up a PXG preowned like Callway does.  And they make a LOT of margin on their apparel.

On 2/3/2021 at 10:39 AM, puresurfr said:

PXG realized there is a lot of money to be made thorough volume sales.  This Pandemic has lifted the boat on all things golf......golf courses and equipment manufacturers are having a crazy good year.  PXG has decided to move away from being a luxury lifestyle brand to a more high performance middle ground manufacturers.  Perhaps they believe that they can reclaim their luxury branding whenever they want.  I have been one of the largest collectors of PXG in the past, but i don't see myself following their new releases like clockwork.  There is a certain parity among all equipment manufacturers and its senseless to imagine that another brand is superior to another.  There are differences in appearance and or feel but thats about it.

Agreed I was not a fan of the Gen3 irons felt mushy to me but I loved the Gen2 so Ive loaded up with couple sets.  Also they can afford to sell for less no middleman to sell to like a Golf Galaxy.  They sell direct to customer.  So if they sell a Driver for $400 same margin as a Golf Galaxy for $500 and they can take market share at a lower price.    I mean the 0211 Driver at $250 is kinda crazy prob just a regular driver but entry level golfers will buy for the name.

the gen2 woods FW and hybrids were great deals now sold out.   Also they make extra money charging $39 for upgraded shaft we all know a KBS tour shaft doesnt cost $39.

On 2/3/2021 at 11:12 AM, Eric05 said:

Well, based off that. It seems like they just have inventory they are looking to move. I do think its a turn off as well. It's like a car dealership. That list's a car at lets say 35,000. Someone comes in offers 33,000. They say no. And then a week later they end up offering it at the 33,000. Losing all creditability. 

They are in a position that's tough. I know he has the money. And listen when you die. It's not going with you, so let him spend it. But he doesn't have many tour professionals. The cheaper product is nice. But also think back about Nike. Nike had Tiger, Rory, Brooks, and many more. And they just said forget about clubs at this point. You can only do so much marketing.

I get it especially with Gen3 I was told theyre not dropping price to blow out inventory so why drop prices below $249?

23 hours ago, Lefty87 said:

To offer some context to my experience with PXG, I always felt their equipment performed very well compared to other OEMs but, for me, the difference was that I found a product that worked as well or better for me than what I was currently using, and (again this is my opinion) it looked far better than anything I had ever seen or played. 

Personally, I never bought PXG equipment because it “has a sweet spot the size of Texas” or any of the other marketing claims...I use PXG because the equipment performs admirably for my game, and there’s nothing close to the aesthetics in my eyes. I’m also a sucker for branding and I love a good story around a company.

I resonate with PXG as a brand, and I’m very happy with the performance and aesthetics of their equipment. What these things mean to different people is completely subjective, but I never bought into PXG because I thought they made equipment that was exponentially better than anything else available. Just my .02 cents. 

Agreed and as a lefty they have my loyalty because ALL their models are available in LH even the super high priced ST irons.   And yeah frankly their irons still have better tech than Callaway and TM in my opinion.  The goo inside does seem to add distance and make feel soft.   They make really good margins on their apparel most of the new clothing is out of stock and much higher margins on that stuff.   Wait till the 0211ST comes out its triple forged looks sleek as F and will put a big dent into other OEMs blade market like Mizuno.    Ive seen pics looks like a slightly bigger Ping Blueprint.

15 hours ago, Ruleschamp said:

PXG carved a niche as a market disruptor by staging itself as a premium product.   I, along with several golf buddies, fell in line with the marketing and purchased Gen 1, Gen 2 and Gen 3 products.   Over the past year, they have watered down the image and opened a wider market.     While on the surface it may seem smart, it's really not that smart at all unless you're attempting to window dress sales levels to set the stage for selling the company.   A good portion of their loyal customers may (or actually will) move on to other offerings since the prestige and premium market niche have now been diluted.   

One can only assume the broadening of the product line to a wider audience is an effort to finally go up against the big boys:   TaylorMade, Callaway, Ping,  and to a certain extent Cobra (with its game improvement enthusiasts), Srixon (with its marketshare overseas) and even Titleist (with its Purists).     Adams Golf and a trail of other golf companies now in caskets (and buried) strayed from their successful niche products and thought a broader product line would challenge the big boys.   What happened?  You no longer see them around.   PXG appears to be headed the same way with its watered down image and loss of its original core customers.   And, PXG's product line and image are not likely to surpass the TM, Callaway or Ping wider audience and capture much marketshare.   Others have tried and failed.   Looks like PXG wants to be next.

Difference is PXG initially set themselves up as the Premium brand so now more people will be giddy to try their clubs at the 0211 line which is probably better than any other OEMs entry line.  Also theyre going after big boys.  Go read the earlier post where some very good sources say they will sell as much or more as Titleist this year.  They have some of the top guys from Ping so they will make good stuff and Bobs a multi billionaire golf nut as long as he breaks even why would he care?  The factor they didnt take into account is the apparel line been a huge success and hell of alot more margin the soft goods.  Why they can afford to be more competitve on club sales.    Also they sell direct to customer no middleman.  They make as much margin on $400 club that a Golf Galaxy makes on a $500 club.     The 0211ST if priced around $200-225 a stick will be a monster seller.

1 hour ago, gwelfgulfer said:

Kind of disagree with this as lower price point items have their place in society as not many have the financial means to go full into a new hobby like others do.  It goes with my other hobbies as well in photography, archery and woodworking.

You can't call yourself a photographer and just use a cellphone camera (maybe if you are just an urban shooter I guess) as it will be the cheapest camera you can get (it's free with the phone...) and yet can't do much of anything compared to an actual camera with good quality glass unless you want to only shoot things within like 20'.

Archery is the same.  Sure, you can get a $100 Samick Sage and off you go, but is it going to truly perform the best against a fully kitted target compound, of course not.

Woodworking is a bit trickier as you can make great things with cheap, manual tools.  But try and batch things out without the equipment and you'll likely pull your hair out at how long it would take you just to go from a rough cut board to squared with nothing but a hand plan...

People have had to make due with what they can afford or have for thousands of years, even if what they have wasn't tailored to their needs and still found some level of success and enjoyment.

It's not the inability to spend I have an issue with at all.  For that same $500 you could hit ebay, find a set of decent irons in good shape, with a shaft weight and flex that works, and have them shipped, regripped, and bent to fit.  More bang for your buck and you're probably getting a set that was originally sold for at least double that dollar amount.

It's the notion that there's a one size fits all set of irons that irks me.  Plenty of manufacturers have tried to sell the idea, and it's just never been true.

6 hours ago, GroverC said:

Didn't your fitting show that the 0211's were shorter and the Elevate Tours were not correct for your swing?  If that was the case why did you buy the 0211's?  If the fitting didn't show those things to you you must be saying they gave you a poor fitting.

The best hits with the 0211 were on par with the best Apex hits during the fitting, but on average, the Apex performed better.  A couple of comments:

1 - I will admit that I was biased toward buying because of the price and the opportunity to get PXGs cheap.  So I was predisposed to hearing things that would lead to purchase.  Note that I was being pushed toward the gen2 0311T or P, but the monitor did not support those performing any better than the 0211s

2 - the fitter guided me toward the best hits.  I do not think this was a fitting in the sense of "let's do what's best for the player."  It was a fitting designed to sell me PXGs.  After it was over, I didn't feel confident in the process or the fitter's expertise (note that 3 of us went thru fittings within 1 day of each other and he wouldn't let us see/know our launch/spin/distance numbers unless we kept asking)

3 - After hearing from some of my friends who went thru fitting with the same guy at the same place and who were immediately guided toward up-charge shafts without even being measured with stock shafts, I guided the fitter toward the stock Elevates.  That said, we hit a couple of others, including C Taper Lites, which I currently have, and didn't discern any big differences.

4 - I wrote off the Apex vs. 0211 data as "I'll get used to them."  Again, I was predisposed to buying based on the deal.  Once I got them on the course and found myself coming up a full club length short repeatedly, I realized I was in the wrong club or (this is my belief, which will not be popular) the PXG heads I got weren't competitive with the Apex (or the Honma's I just got yesterday).

Of the 3 of us, 2 of us bought and we both ended up returning everything and paying the restock fee.  The other guy who bought also found, both with the Proto driver and 0311P's he bought, that he was losing significant distance vs. his previously clubs.  And, like me, he was predisposed to buying and made the impulse buy.

I also hit the drivers during my fitting and none of them could come close to outperforming my Cobra F8.  I really thought I would buy a driver as well, but the Proto's were a terrible match for me.

• Confused 1

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond/Mitsubishi Pro White Tensei 1k

Callaway Epic Speed 3w

Honma TR21 5w
Callaway Rogue JDM 21 & 24 hybrids

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-AW

Callaway MD5 52/Full-Toe 58

Odyssey O-works #7s

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

56 minutes ago, hanfrac said:

The best hits with the 0211 were on par with the best Apex hits during the fitting, but on average, the Apex performed better.  A couple of comments:

1 - I will admit that I was biased toward buying because of the price and the opportunity to get PXGs cheap.  So I was predisposed to hearing things that would lead to purchase.  Note that I was being pushed toward the gen2 0311T or P, but the monitor did not support those performing any better than the 0211s

2 - the fitter guided me toward the best hits.  I do not think this was a fitting in the sense of "let's do what's best for the player."  It was a fitting designed to sell me PXGs.  After it was over, I didn't feel confident in the process or the fitter's expertise (note that 3 of us went thru fittings within 1 day of each other and he wouldn't let us see/know our launch/spin/distance numbers unless we kept asking)

3 - After hearing from some of my friends who went thru fitting with the same guy at the same place and who were immediately guided toward up-charge shafts without even being measured with stock shafts, I guided the fitter toward the stock Elevates.  That said, we hit a couple of others, including C Taper Lites, which I currently have, and didn't discern any big differences.

4 - I wrote off the Apex vs. 0211 data as "I'll get used to them."  Again, I was predisposed to buying based on the deal.  Once I got them on the course and found myself coming up a full club length short repeatedly, I realized I was in the wrong club or (this is my belief, which will not be popular) the PXG heads I got weren't competitive with the Apex (or the Honma's I just got yesterday).

Of the 3 of us, 2 of us bought and we both ended up returning everything and paying the restock fee.  The other guy who bought also found, both with the Proto driver and 0311P's he bought, that he was losing significant distance vs. his previously clubs.  And, like me, he was predisposed to buying and made the impulse buy.

I also hit the drivers during my fitting and none of them could come close to outperforming my Cobra F8.  I really thought I would buy a driver as well, but the Proto's were a terrible match for me.

Thats a shaft issue not a club issue.  So the Apex 2019s I had were same distance as my Gen2 0311P and the Apex 2019 had slightly stronger lofts

1 hour ago, ssfranny said:

Thats a shaft issue not a club issue.  So the Apex 2019s I had were same distance as my Gen2 0311P and the Apex 2019 had slightly stronger lofts

Not true.  As I stated yesterday (I know that's now on page 2 of this thread), my Apex 7 iron is 31.5 and the 0211 is 31.  Let's call it a draw.  I hit the Apex 7 iron against a variety of PXG's, both heads and shafts.  There was no PXG combination that was longer/tighter than the Apex.  And I hit the PXG with a C Taper Lite stiff in it, which is the same shaft I have in the Apex.

I'm not saying that for all golfers, PXG heads don't perform.  I am saying that for me, with my crappy swing, a 31.5 Apex with a C-Taper Lite was slightly better than a 31 PXG 0311P and 0211 (note - this is with the fitter not turning the monitor around and showing me all of the numbers, mind you).  And the 0211 Elevate Tour seemed equivalent to the C-Taper Lite.  And even though neither was better than my Apex, I bought them anyway, took them out on the course and they were a full club or even a club and a half shorter for me.  Why?  I don't know.   I wanted to fall in love with the PXGs.  They just didn't perform for me and it wasn't subtle.

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond/Mitsubishi Pro White Tensei 1k

Callaway Epic Speed 3w

Honma TR21 5w
Callaway Rogue JDM 21 & 24 hybrids

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-AW

Callaway MD5 52/Full-Toe 58

Odyssey O-works #7s

3 hours ago, Kid B said:

It's not the inability to spend I have an issue with at all.  For that same $500 you could hit ebay, find a set of decent irons in good shape, with a shaft weight and flex that works, and have them shipped, regripped, and bent to fit.  More bang for your buck and you're probably getting a set that was originally sold for at least double that dollar amount.

It's the notion that there's a one size fits all set of irons that irks me.  Plenty of manufacturers have tried to sell the idea, and it's just never been true.

You said no matter what the cost, and now have put in a number.  $500 for a set of irons, and then how much more on everything else?  Are you all of a sudden north of $1k?  Again, for people just starting out, that is a tough pill to swallow, more so when they have no idea going in.  So a bit harder for them to then find a set on ebay with shafts that work and then take them somewhere to get bent.  

All well and good for someone with even a marginal understanding of golf and what they need, but not likely with the amount of new people that came to the game in the past year.

Starter sets aren't meant to be long term investments, that is pretty obvious so not sure the issue with them.  They fill a needed niche price point within a very specific target market.  To really go against that is a bit elitist/smug.

But good for you for not having an issue with what others can spend...

Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

12 hours ago, cleverprimate24 said:

I've kinda suspected this is sort of a Tesla situation. Starting out, you sell at the luxury price point to establish the company and get to scale. Once the economies of scale are viable, you begin offering goods at a mid range price point that allows for more volume. Meanwhile, you still offer some premium products for those customers who want luxury goods or the perceived status that those might bring.

I was going to use the Tesla analogy, it’s dead on the money. And just like Tesla, most PXG customers are rabbid fanatics. Check FB page, these “troops” are all in, full bag, with the bag, glove and dressed up in PXG gear. 
If they made balls and shoes, they would have those too. 
It’s a mentality. That same titleist homer everyone used to talk about, but now they moved to PXG 

Edited by JackpotJohnny
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, JackpotJohnny said:

I was going to use the Tesla analogy, it’s dead on the money. And just like Tesla, most PXG customers are rabbid fanatics. Check FB page, these “troops” are all in, full bag, with the bag, glove and dressed up in PXG gear. 
It’s a mentality. That same titleist homer everyone used to talk about, but now they moved to PXG 

Yep

Every now and then there are some really out of place folks in full PXG mode at the little swamp track I play

It is usually because the fancier course down the street has no tee times

Long pants, staff bags, fancy caps- they go all out even in the 90 degree Florida heat

I really don't care what anybody plays but I do think the PXG logo is hideous and their commercials are grating on the nerves

Well, there is the saying  "to become a millionaire in the golf equipment industry, start as a billionaire" something like that. 

Club Fitter/Builder (Wishon)

719MW  11* Red R Shaft - 919THI 11* Black S 65 shaft 
EQ1-NX 3, 927HS 5, 7 woods Red R-Flex
797HS 4 & 5 Red R Shaft 
585's, EQ1-NX, 550 combo, 575's, 565's various shafts
20+ wedges!

Wishon Cavity Black CB4 putter

Willy, Bridgy, Srixy Balls

4 hours ago, gwelfgulfer said:

You said no matter what the cost, and now have put in a number.  $500 for a set of irons, and then how much more on everything else?  Are you all of a sudden north of $1k?  Again, for people just starting out, that is a tough pill to swallow, more so when they have no idea going in.  So a bit harder for them to then find a set on ebay with shafts that work and then take them somewhere to get bent.  

All well and good for someone with even a marginal understanding of golf and what they need, but not likely with the amount of new people that came to the game in the past year.

Starter sets aren't meant to be long term investments, that is pretty obvious so not sure the issue with them.  They fill a needed niche price point within a very specific target market.  To really go against that is a bit elitist/smug.

But good for you for not having an issue with what others can spend...

$500 was not my number. If you’re going to quote & reply, the least you could do is read the post I was originally responding to. 

13 minutes ago, Kid B said:

$500 was not my number. If you’re going to quote & reply, the least you could do is read the post I was originally responding to. 

I replied to what I had pulled form your quote, you brought the rest in.  But thanks for trying to add more or clear things up...

Edited by setter02

Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

Is it possible they've realized the actual money is in replacing irons / used gear flipping?

Callaway PreOwned is a huge driver of Callaways earnings, and its the top in the industry.  It was originally started simply as a way to replace lost individual irons (which you cannot do effectively at PXG).

Just a thought, not sure if they could be planning a used marketplace, but if they were then they'd need much more product out in the world.  Callaway's financials are not ambiguous that CPO is a monster.  Then again, if PXG doesn't care about revenue, that doesn't make sense.

Just a thought from looking at Callaway's reports.

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

15 hours ago, JackpotJohnny said:

I have mostly PXG right now, but intentionally use different FW, wedges & putter so I don’t look like a radicalized faux pro/poser. Bag is non PXG & I don’t own any of their clothing, nor any plans to do so. I use Sunfish headcovers instead of the PXG ones that came with the clubs.

That’s just me though. I have friends with pseudo 14-club bag & ball deals & it doesn’t bother me one iota.

Edited by 95124hacker

Epic Speed 9* (VeloCore Blue 6S)

SIM2 Ti 15* (Tour AD BB 6SR)

Apex UW 19* (MMT 70S)

0311XP Gen3 4-PW (Accra 90i S)

Vokey Forged 52 

Vokey Forged Black 58.12K 

HiToe 64* 
WHP 7CS

TP5x

Are PXG that different to Porsche?  Their brand is based on the 911 but they make most of their money with 4x4s.  They had to limit the Cayman to stop it hitting 911 sales.  To me there are quite a few similarities with PXG.  Seems to work for Porsche and I suspect it will work for PXG.

Titleist TSi1 10 degree driver 

TM Stealth 4 and 7 woods
M6 hybrid
PXG 0211 irons (5 to G)
Vokey 54 D grind 58 D grind
Scotty Newport 2.5 Special Select

TM Tour Response balls

H2NO stand bag

On 2/4/2021 at 2:22 PM, ssfranny said:

Difference is PXG initially set themselves up as the Premium brand so now more people will be giddy to try their clubs at the 0211 line which is probably better than any other OEMs entry line.  Also theyre going after big boys.  Go read the earlier post where some very good sources say they will sell as much or more as Titleist this year.  They have some of the top guys from Ping so they will make good stuff and Bobs a multi billionaire golf nut as long as he breaks even why would he care?  The factor they didnt take into account is the apparel line been a huge success and hell of alot more margin the soft goods.  Why they can afford to be more competitve on club sales.    Also they sell direct to customer no middleman.  They make as much margin on $400 club that a Golf Galaxy makes on a $500 club.     The 0211ST if priced around $200-225 a stick will be a monster seller.

This is all fine, but Titleist is a ball, shoe and glove company that just happens to also make clubs.  PXG isn't anywhere close Acushnet.

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

8 hours ago, 95124hacker said:

I have mostly PXG right now, but intentionally use different FW, wedges & putter so I don’t look like a radicalized faux pro/poser. Bag is non PXG & I don’t own any of their clothing, nor any plans to do so. I use Sunfish headcovers instead of the PXG ones that came with the clubs.

That’s just me though. I have friends with pseudo 14-club bag & ball deals & it doesn’t bother me one iota.

I didn’t intend it to be derogatory, entirely. We have all seen that guy, and that is exactly what I think most of the base that I see online, or have ever encountered in real life are. That same level of extremism. It’s like some machismo thing that is way more than golf, and they are all in. 

I am right there with ya, I could never. Just on principal alone because of the stigma. The point I wanted to make is that it’s a real thing, and regardless of the sales, or saturation, or lack of luxury perception, I don’t see them going anywhere else until there is something else to fill that space. 

I think it is kind of funny that a person with a full bag is some kind of extremist, (popular word nowadays) being old and average I just enjoyed the fitting process and the gear works. The fact PXG is reasonably priced now is what made me take a second look and get over my dislike of all the screws. 

Never have went the staff bag route with any OEM and generally once a brand starts getting into the bag it ends up at least 13 clubs, that is until something else new and shiny catches the eye then rinse and repeat.

Callaway Smoke Max 10.5 GD AD VF 6s

Titleist TSR 2 16.5 GD AD UB 7s

Titleist TSR 2 21 GD AD DI 8x

Callaway APEX Pro / CB  4-11 PX IO 5.5 

Callaway full toe 54* PX IO  6.5

Callaway full toe 58* PX IO 6.5

SLED # 1  35.5