Rory's Rant - Distance Insights Project - Your thoughts?

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm with Rory on this one. Screw the USGA and their Distance Project.  If Mike Davis had been around in the 1930s, steel shafts would've been banned and we would still be playing with hickory. 

Rors is 100000% right, the equipment isn’t the problem. It’s just the evolution of the athlete. In ALL SPORTS, athletes are getting bigger, faster, stronger all the while breaking more records.   

As i said in the other thread, most people under 40 have played the game the way it is now either their entire golfing life or most of it. These same people, 99.9% of them or more, have never thought

Posted Images

I didn't think it was possible to combine the defense of distance being a non-issue with all out SJW!

Rhetorically,  I thought for a nice guy who doesn't appear to be a deep thinker his statement was brilliant.  If someone was going to spin being against the ruling bodies on this, he sounded great for an example.

If you want to look more at the facts and the sense of some of what he said --- I don't think he really read or digested what was released and what is and more importantly isn't actually happening as a result and when, and for some reason wanted to pick up the banner for the masses, lol. 

Edited by Hawkeye77
  • Like 1

Distance is an issue but as people have already pointed out, it’s not just an equipment discussion.  Golf, as a sport, has real obstacles to overcome to stay relevant but distance isn’t one of them.  The R&A and USGA need to steer clear of philosophical dilemmas and focus on real world ones.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

TaylorMade M4 9.5 Project X HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
TaylorMade M2 2016 HL Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.5
TaylorMade GAPR Lo 19 Project X HZRDUS Black 85 6.5
Bridgestone J15 DPF 4 Iron DGS300 Pro
Wilson C300 Forged 5-PW X100
Cleveland CBX 54 & 58 S400
Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser #7 38"

4 hours ago, Hawkeye77 said:

I didn't think it was possible to combine the defense of distance being a non-issue with all out SJW!

Rhetorically,  I thought for a nice guy who doesn't appear to be a deep thinker his statement was brilliant.  If someone was going to spin being against the ruling bodies on this, he sounded great for an example.

If you want to look more at the facts and the sense of some of what he said --- I don't think he really read or digested what was released and what is and more importantly isn't actually happening as a result and when, and for some reason wanted to pick up the banner for the masses, lol. 

Rory reads and thinks more than he looks 😉

But likely he still didn't read all the dribble from USGA.  Who would anyways?

Edited by CasualLie
  • Like 3
13 minutes ago, Holy Moses said:

Did anyone ask him if he wants a rollback just for pros and elite amateurs? I can’t see the local rule being enforced on everyone. 

Making changes for pros and elite ams is a rollback. Any round that matters to any golfer is going to be with the rolled back ball. 

• Like 1

905S 9.5 Graffaloy Blue S
Ping G25 3 wood Diamana D+ X

Ping G25 3 hybrid S300
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW S300
Ping Glide Stealth 52*/ Ping Tour S 56*/Ping Glide 3.0 60*
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 35”
Pro V1

25 minutes ago, Holy Moses said:

Did anyone ask him if he wants a rollback just for pros and elite amateurs? I can’t see the local rule being enforced on everyone. 

To me it seems he’s fine with bifurcation and making things harder for pros.

But feels that ams are sad specimens of golf who need all the help we can get ; )

https://www.google.com/amp/s/golfweek.usatoday.com/2021/02/03/rory-mcilroy-usga-ra-distance-insights-report-huge-waste-money/amp/

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, sgersten19 said:

This is my sentiment as well. The USGA is not run well.

They should be using the money spent on this "research" (and the money from fox/nbc for the us open) to be saving muni golf courses across the country and giving out free golf clubs to kids/minorities.

Love that, promote the game to the less privileged! The game is changing at the local level, I see a lot more minority kids playing and that’s awesome, but the USGA should be investing in Muni’s to improve them, or at least offset the cost. 

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, dcm325 said:

The USGA should be investing in Muni’s to improve them, or at least offset the cost. 

Last time I checked, the USGA had over $300 million in its endowment. And I believe most of it is not "restricted" so they can do whatever they want with it.

At the very least they should be using that war chest to create a "development bank" for muni courses to fund improvements/programs with grants, low/no interest loans, or guarantee/insure loans. If run properly it shouldn't cost the USGA that much.

But I think they just hoard it or use it for lawyer retainers so they won't lose in court to Ping again.

• Like 1

Dude said that he was “just getting going” when Golf Channel camera batteries died, major buzz kill. I love how unfiltered he is. “I’m probably going to get in trouble for this...” [but eff it, I’m going to say it anyway]. 😁

If only we had more players like him who were willing to let it go like him. He does an outstanding job of toeing the line. He tells it like it is without being disrespectful or bombastic. Go Rory go!

Here’s the deal, tour pros are longer because they are better. Equipment has been maxed out for ages now. Guys keep getting longer because they’re tapping into the one thing that can’t be regulated, physical fitness and training. It’s called evolution. Once upon a time there was no such thing as a 4-minute mile, now it’s routine (relatively speaking). 

Like many, I’m also okay with the current limitations, basically saying that there can’t be anymore technological advancements in terms of distance. The genie is out of the bottle though. Rolling back equipment now would be like telling track athletes that they now have to run in combat boots.

Edited by Need4spd
  • Like 2

TaylorMade SIM 10.5° | Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue 60 S
TaylorMade M2 15° | Project X Evenflow Blue Handcrafted 75 6.0
TaylorMade SIM2 Rescue 19.5° | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 85 S
TaylorMade P•7MC 4-PW | KBS TOUR 120 S
Titleist Vokey SM7 50°, 54°, 58° | Dynamic Gold R300
Evnroll ER7
Titleist ProV1X 

I'm 100% in Rory's camp here, this is such an overblown problem.

There are several small steps that can help certain courses that are getting overpowered

1. Letting fairways grow out a bit more and keeping them somewhat moist to slow down rollout. Narrowing fairways and lengthening the rough is another option

2.Shorten max tee lengths, and max shaft lengths marginally. 

3. Certain legacy courses/tournaments can have neutered balls, but don't make a tour/industry wide roll back.

4. The Old Course could mandate Persimmon woods and ban metal woods for tournaments. I'm sure some people will find it gimmicky, but I would love to see it.

Edited by cleverprimate24
  • Like 1

I’m with Rory on this. I looked up the last 40 years of average driving distance on the PGA Tour and they go as follows: 

2020: 296 yds

2010: 287 yds

2000: 272 yds

1990: 262 yds

1980: 256 yds

The pattern is inevitable. The difference is that athletes are more athletic than before. Limiting equipment is a short term solution to a long term problem. 

For me, some of what Rory said made sense but he seemed to forget that what appears to being looked at is limiting what he himself described as “0.1% of golfers” who hit it too far. 

For the first time, that I can recall the R&A and USGA seem to be seriously thinking about bifurcation. That they are thinking that way in my own personal opinion is sad but I can see exactly why they are thinking that way. With that being the case, the 99.9% of golfers that Rory seems to want to protect are not going to be impacted by that proposal. 

In addition, at least it’s nice to see that Rory now seems like he wants the game to be attractive to others. That’s a fair change from his lacklustre interest in doing just that.

Titleist TS3 8.5 Even Flow White T1100 6.0
Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
Titleist 712U 3 Iron Stiff Tour AD DI
Titleist T100 4-PW 6.0 Project X LZ
Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08
Titlesist Vokey SM7 56.12 & 60.04
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1x 2019

www.youtube.com/oneillgolf

10 hours ago, dcm325 said:

I disagree with the fundamental idea that claims distance as an issue. 

The literal point of this game is to get as close to the hole as possible, so you hit the ball as far as you can to give yourself the easiest shot possible to put the ball in the hole. 

These athletes on average are stronger and faster than ever before... equipment changes aren’t going to effect change in a way the ruling bodies want it to. 

Agree with the physicality of the modern golfer but championship golf is played on historic courses that are limited in their space.  Golf is also steeped in history and we compare scores throughout generations to compare golfers.  Someone shooting 57 at St Andrew’s during the British Open would not be taken well in many golf communities.

TaylorMade M4 9.5 Project X HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
TaylorMade M2 2016 HL Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.5
TaylorMade GAPR Lo 19 Project X HZRDUS Black 85 6.5
Bridgestone J15 DPF 4 Iron DGS300 Pro
Wilson C300 Forged 5-PW X100
Cleveland CBX 54 & 58 S400
Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser #7 38"

3 hours ago, MattyO1984 said:

In addition, at least it’s nice to see that Rory now seems like he wants the game to be attractive to others. That’s a fair change from his lacklustre interest in doing just that.

He's interested in it now because it suits his argument, not because of some newfound moral responsibility to "grow the game". 

Edited by MMB1500
  • Like 3

How many people buy golf equipment, and take lessons to hit the ball shorter? This will hurt the golf industry and teaching pros. I really think the USGA is interested in preserving the game for purists rather than growing the game. If you go to a club, five out of seven days, the club is supported by retired men and women. A lot of them don’t hit the ball very far, as it is. Take the fun away from them, and see what happens to the “sustainability “ of golf. I haven’t heard what the PGA of America has said about this, but I bet they don’t like it.

• Like 2