2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

After surgery, ball striking improved to the point I can use Pro V1

kmac02576

I had a back surgery a little over a year ago. Because of the surgery, it’s forced me to keep my swing more natural and not forced. Because of that, my ball striking was the first thing that has improved. 

Instead of using more force in my swing, I’ve used better technique. Now I’m striking the ball better and further than I have before my surgery.

i never used Pro V1 balls before because I never had the swing speed and ball speed for them to actually benefit me. I know they are the most popular ball because most Pros use them. But they don’t have any real benefit to middle-of-the-bell-curve golfers. 

I recently switched to them now that they will actually benefit me with my improved technique, swing speed and ball speed. 

I’ve noticed an improvement in distance and control around the greens since I switched to Pro V1s. I use 50-56-62 wedges and the Pro V1s really shine especially with my 62* wedge. I can basically point and shoot. 

Ballstriking was the first thing to come back after the surgery. My short game accuracy was the last thing to come back. The Pro V1s have helped with that part. 

I really don’t understand why so many below average to average golfers use these balls. They serve no benefit to them. They should be using Chrome Softs or AVX. I never used them until my game got to the point where they would actually benefit my game. 

I’m glad you’re back in the game after surgery. But I really feel your opinion about below average to average golfers shouldn’t use a Pro V1 is old school thinking. Every golfer should invest in a quality golf ball. If that’s a Pro V1, TP5 or some other Tour level so be it. 

• Like 4

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

I’ve tried hitting Pro V1s before I had my chops up to the level they’re at now and I’ve found that they didn’t work as well for me as some other balls. I just didn’t have the swing speed on my drives to fully compress the Pro V1s and were able to hit other distance style balls further.

Also my approach shots are closer to the hole, so I’m able to use more spin in my short game to aim for the pin and get it to drop and stop instead of trying to run it up to the hole. 

The other guys I play with very often hit their approach shots short of the green. When I had to rely on better technique because of my surgery rather than trying to muscle it up, I had to make adjustments to my iron and wedge distances because I was flying the greens. Now that I have it dialed in, I’m hitting greens with more consistency. And the Pro V1s have an advantage in getting it to stop closer to where I want it rather than running it up and hoping to get lucky which other balls have more of an advantage with. 

On 2/3/2021 at 8:05 PM, noodle3872 said:

I’m glad you’re back in the game after surgery. But I really feel your opinion about below average to average golfers shouldn’t use a Pro V1 is old school thinking. Every golfer should invest in a quality golf ball. If that’s a Pro V1, TP5 or some other Tour level so be it. 

I think Titleist ran a study (or maybe some one else? I read/watch allot fo golf stuff). It turned out high handicappers got the most benefit from premium balls v low cappers when it came to saving strokes. If it was a ball manufacturer you have to take it with grain of salt that the most expensive ball is 'better for all golfers', but all the same it was interesting. 

Edited by 2bGood

On 2/3/2021 at 5:17 PM, kmac02576 said:

I had a back surgery a little over a year ago. Because of the surgery, it’s forced me to keep my swing more natural and not forced. Because of that, my ball striking was the first thing that has improved. 

Instead of using more force in my swing, I’ve used better technique. Now I’m striking the ball better and further than I have before my surgery.

i never used Pro V1 balls before because I never had the swing speed and ball speed for them to actually benefit me. I know they are the most popular ball because most Pros use them. But they don’t have any real benefit to middle-of-the-bell-curve golfers. 

I recently switched to them now that they will actually benefit me with my improved technique, swing speed and ball speed. 

I’ve noticed an improvement in distance and control around the greens since I switched to Pro V1s. I use 50-56-62 wedges and the Pro V1s really shine especially with my 62* wedge. I can basically point and shoot. 

Ballstriking was the first thing to come back after the surgery. My short game accuracy was the last thing to come back. The Pro V1s have helped with that part. 

I really don’t understand why so many below average to average golfers use these balls. They serve no benefit to them. They should be using Chrome Softs or AVX. I never used them until my game got to the point where they would actually benefit my gam

good advertisement for back surgery to improve ball striking.  Your observation about golfballs.....not so much.

I’m going to disagree. A ProV type of ball, can help almost anyone gain control of the ball from say 120 in, especially around the green chipping and pitching.  In terms of the long game YMMV, but while they might feel hard to the slower swinger I don’t think they are losing any real distance, in some cases a higher compression ball might actually increase distance. I think you would have seen some of these improvements before surgery, especially around the green. 

where you can really pick up distance with a low compression ball is with the middle and short irons, the ball launches higher and spins less from my experience, some fairway wood shots seem to jump as well. This is from my experience, however I feel I am not as precise with my wedge play. 

As someone who is a candidate for spinal fusion I am glad to hear you are doing well, I am trying to put it off till later in life. 

Edited by dlygrisse

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

17 hours ago, 2bGood said:

I think Titleist ran study (or maybe some one else? I read/watch allot fo golf stuff). It turned out high handicappers got the most benefit from premium balls v low cappers when it came to saving strokes. If it was a ball manufacturer you have to take it with grain of salt that the most expensive ball is 'better for all golfers', but all the same it was interesting. 

Actually, I think this is true of good equipment in EVERY sport, not just golf.  The idea that only talented, skilled athletes can take advantage of the best equipment is common, and dead wrong.  The lesser player needs MORE help, not less.

3 hours ago, bluedot said:

Actually, I think this is true of good equipment in EVERY sport, not just golf.  The idea that only talented, skilled athletes can take advantage of the best equipment is common, and dead wrong.  The lesser player needs MORE help, not less.

I can find the study, only references to it and it was done by Titleist. Apparently 'high' handicappers saved 4 strokes per 9 playing a premium ball and low cappers allot less. 

• 2 weeks later...

Even the Bridgestone Tour BX and BxS which are their main competition to the Pro V1 advertises their balls as best suited for players who have a 105mph+ swing speed. 

I agree that the Pro V1 is great for almost everyone from 120 in, but getting to that point is where a harder compression ball is best suited to players with slower swing speeds. 

My main point was now that I have that swing speed due to more proper technique after my back surgery, these balls have become more useful to my game. I have tried a few Pro V1s before the surgery (mostly found balls) but didn’t really have a feel for them off the tee and with the approach. I had better luck with other balls such the AVX or Chrome Softs. But now, I’m ripping the Pro V1s like I couldn’t when I tried them before my surgery. 

Edited by kmac02576

On 2/6/2021 at 7:10 AM, dlygrisse said:

I’m going to disagree. A ProV type of ball, can help almost anyone gain control of the ball from say 120 in, especially around the green chipping and pitching.  In terms of the long game YMMV, but while they might feel hard to the slower swinger I don’t think they are losing any real distance, in some cases a higher compression ball might actually increase distance. I think you would have seen some of these improvements before surgery, especially around the green. 

where you can really pick up distance with a low compression ball is with the middle and short irons, the ball launches higher and spins less from my experience, some fairway wood shots seem to jump as well. This is from my experience, however I feel I am not as precise with my wedge play. 

As someone who is a candidate for spinal fusion I am glad to hear you are doing well, I am trying to put it off till later in life. 

Thank you and I am sorry to hear that you are in the same position I was. I also tried to put it off until later in life, but got in 2 traffic collisions that weren’t my fault within 6 months. They aggravated the back injury and I finally had to go through with the surgery. I would say do it sooner whilst you are healthy and able to back bounce a lot quicker. The older you get, the longer it takes to heal. 

On 2/3/2021 at 3:17 PM, kmac02576 said:

I really don’t understand why so many below average to average golfers use these balls. They serve no benefit to them. They should be using Chrome Softs or AVX. I never used them until my game got to the point where they would actually benefit my game. 

I disagree with the last part of your post.  I'm a 5 handicap with high ball speed.  I love the AVX.  It launches low and kills spin.  I know it's lower compression, but it fits my swing.  ProV1's don't only benefit better golfers IMO.  You'd be surprised how many average golfers use ProV1's and get the most out of their game.  Also, the Chrome Soft and AVX are considered premium balls just like the ProV1. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2