2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Proto Concept - New JDM Company

2 hours ago, m_w said:

Thanks! 

In regards to forgiveness, I would say the 03's are comparable to the ZX7, yes - the 05's in the same vain are comparable to the ZX5 but obviously different profile (smaller).

If your miss is toe side, no question the 05 would help you over the 03 (in my mind) if all other things are equal.

Well, I mean if ball speed and yardage drops, dispersion is going to be worse, right? 🙂 I did not notice a lot of difference left/right if that's what you are asking. Only thing that stood out was that it was easier for me to draw the C05.

Yeah left/ right dispersion is more of what I was after, but you are correct about short being a part of dispersion lol 😝 

thanks for the feedback!

I’ve now had several months with my C03’s (MMT 105 shafts).  Coming from Mizuno MP20 MMCs, I’ll say the ProtoC’s are not quite Mizuno soft, but still a nice blend of Miura dense and a soft forged feel.  Just a very solid feeling Endo forging.  It’s a slightly thicker topline than I’m used to, but overall a very clean looking grind with good turf interaction and quite forgiving.  These are more forgiving than my MMCs, plus slightly longer while providing good control for various different trajectories, fades and draws.  I had considered a mixed set, but the C05s were too offset for my eye.  Plus I’ve found the milled cavity in the 5-7 C03 irons to offered excellent forgiveness, and the 8-PW excellent control.  There really wasn’t a reason to not get the full set in the C03 heads!

7 minutes ago, golftech said:

I’ve now had several months with my C03’s (MMT 105 shafts).  Coming from Mizuno MP20 MMCs, I’ll say the ProtoC’s are not quite Mizuno soft, but still a nice blend of Miura dense and a soft forged feel.  Just a very solid feeling Endo forging.  It’s a slightly thicker topline than I’m used to, but overall a very clean looking grind with good turf interaction and quite forgiving.  These are more forgiving than my MMCs, plus slightly longer while providing good control for various different trajectories, fades and draws.  I had considered a mixed set, but the C05s were too offset for my eye.  Plus I’ve found the milled cavity in the 5-7 C03 irons to offered excellent forgiveness, and the 8-PW excellent control.  There really wasn’t a reason to not get the full set in the C03 heads!

Did you ever try the 01’s? Or did you just got straight to 03’s?

And everyone is really loving the MMT shafts, what flex do you play? I need to pick up a set and see how I like them. I play Obans and never liked steelfibers or comparable

Edited by MasterOfTheSlice

14 minutes ago, MasterOfTheSlice said:

Did you ever try the 01’s? Or did you just got straight to 03’s?

And everyone is really loving the MMT shafts, what flex do you play? I need to pick up a set and see how I like them. I play Obans and never liked steelfibers or comparable

I did consider the C01s, but was looking for a nice blend of game improvement and traditional blade looking grind.  The C03 grind fit my eye immediately and I really liked the feel and control.  Forgiveness with C03s  is good, given my miss is usually still center but lower groves.  

I made the switch years ago to graphite for my wrists.  I’ve tried most of the graphite iron shafts, with Aldila MLTI Pro-105s setting a standard early.  Accra i100s have also worked well for me.  If anything, I find the MMT 105s a nice blend of the two.  I’ve got 110 SS with a driver and stiff flex in the MMT is plenty of control without feeling boardy.    

4 hours ago, golftech said:

Very much fits with my experience. However, I did not think the difference in offset was as large as suggested here. I think the experience with forgiveness is likely that he's pretty much always hitting it center and perhaps just high or low on the face - in which case, I agree, the difference between 03 and 05 is very small.

However, when strike wanders toe or heel, its a different story and the difference between 03 and 05 forgiveness is much bigger.

anyone have any info on the 3 wood - nexgen? the proto concept website has the driver, full array of irons, and the wedges, but nothing on the 3 -wood! like where can one of these be purchased?

Edited by Diamana_Stinger

JBeam J3 Tour 10.5* - Syncagraphite Loop Prototype IP X
Miura Giken TC-101 Miura Craftsman World #3

Artisan MB #4-PW
(Nippon Modus 125 X Flex in 3-PW)
Artisan 50*, 55*, 60*

(Nippon Modus 125 X in 50*)
(Nippon Modus Wedge 125 in 55* & 60*)
Artisan 0117 Stainless; Smooth Face w/Site Dot (Grip; Elite Geron Type #N2 Black)
Tour G 50 Rubber Round Grips On Driver;Irons;Wedges

1 hour ago, Diamana_Stinger said:

anyone have any info on the 3 wood - nexgen? the proto concept website has the driver, full array of irons, and the wedges, but nothing on the 3 -wood! like where can one of these be purchased?

So there’s a ton of pictures floating around of the nexgen 3 wood and it’s commonly mistaken as a proto concept club. They make a driver, irons and wedges but not woods or hybrids. Haven’t heard of anything, but with the increased popularity I could see it on the horizon. Tough thing is, their price point will most likely suck haha (driver head only is $1,200). So until they can figure out how to bring that price point down I don’t see it being a thing.

but the nexgen head is the in house brand of golf partner and I believe you can purchase from them directly? (Don’t quote me on that though)

hope that helped!

If there was any doubt Proto Concept was Endo and if Lydia had clubs in her bag when she won couple weeks back… 

https://www.si.com/golf/news/lydia-ko-reaps-benefit-of-clubfitters-trust-in-proto-concept-irons

[center][size=3][b][color=gray]Callaway EPIC [/color][/b][color=#FF8C00][b][b][b]|[/b][/b] [/b][/color][color=gray][b]10[/b][/color][color=#FF0000][b]*[/b][/color][color=gray][b]5 Accra Tour Z 255[/b][/color]
[color=gray][b]Titleist 913F [/b][/color][color=#FF8C00][b][b][b]|[/b][/b][/b][/color][color=gray][b] 15[/b][/color][color=#FF0000][b]*[/b][/color][color=gray][b] & 19[/b][/color][color=#FF0000][b]*[/b][/color]
[color=gray][b]Titleist 913H [/b][/color][color=#FF8C00][b][b][b]|[/b][/b][/b][/color][color=gray][b] 24[/b][/color][color=#FF0000][b]*[/b][/color]
[color=gray][b]PXG 0311[/b][/color][color=#FF8C00][b] [b][b]| [/b][/b][/b][/color][color=gray][b]Xtreme Dark 5-PW [/b][/color][color=#FF8C00][b][b][b]| [/b][/b][/b][/color][color=gray][b]Smoke Nippon NS Pro 999GH[/b][/color]
[color=gray][b]Vokey SM6 F Grind[/b][/color][color=#FF8C00][b] [b][b]| [/b][/b][/b][/color][color=gray][b] Jet Black [/b][/color][color=#FF8C00][b][b][b]|[/b][/b][/b][/color][color=gray][b] 50[/b][/color][color=#FF0000][b]*[/b][/color][color=gray][b]8 & 56[/b][/color][color=#FF0000][b]*[/b][/color][color=gray][b]14 [/b][/color][color=#FF8C00][b][b][b]|[/b][/b][/b][/color][color=gray][b] Smoke Nippon NS Pro 999GH[/b][/color]
[color=gray][b]Scotty Cameron [/b][/color][color=#FF8C00][b][b][b]| [/b][/b][/b][/color][color=gray][b]Newport II TOUR SSS @350g 33" Mid-Size Baby "t"[/b][/color][/size][/center]

2 hours ago, tical said:

If there was any doubt Proto Concept was Endo and if Lydia had clubs in her bag when she won couple weeks back… 

https://www.si.com/golf/news/lydia-ko-reaps-benefit-of-clubfitters-trust-in-proto-concept-irons

There wasn’t 😉 great article thou

Edited by m_w

So I have 18 holes in with the C05. Range was closed today so had a cold start, 39 degree F. Nice. Not really. 

what’s good about this is that the chances of a “honeymoon phase” were slim and I would need to rely on some help from the clubs today. 

here are some general observations on a couple of areas:

Feel

• As I already described, the feel of these is quite unique. A mix between Miura and Srixon or Miura and Honma are my best analogy. They have a dense/solid feel with a touch of softness that tells you in detail where and how you've hit the ball.

Performance

• Like I said above, I certainly did not have my best ball striking with me today. Two things stood out to me today: the C05 are masters at dealing with thin strikes, still getting the ball up and putting enough spin on it to stop and the sole does a fantastic job of gliding through the turf. Very forgiving without being a fat grind.
  • Ballspeed is definitely on the quicker side; I didn't have my Quad with me today but these seem to be on the same level as a T200/PXG 0311P/TR20P etc.
  • The ball flight with these is very straight. You can shape shots but really, the ball wants to go straight. This probably isn't the best iron if you are hitting 5 different shot shapes per hole. Might have to do with the offset and the CG location (or my lack of skill) but these irons support the "straight".

I'll add more thoughts after I've played them for a while. So far its a very positive first impression even thou my game sucked today.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, m_w said:

So I have 18 holes in with the C05. Range was closed today so had a cold start, 39 degree F. Nice. Not really. 

what’s good about this is that the chances of a “honeymoon phase” were slim and I would need to rely on some help from the clubs today. 

here are some general observations on a couple of areas:

Feel

• As I already described, the feel of these is quite unique. A mix between Miura and Srixon or Miura and Honma are my best analogy. They have a dense/solid feel with a touch of softness that tells you in detail where and how you've hit the ball.

Performance

• Like I said above, I certainly did not have my best ball striking with me today. Two things stood out to me today: the C05 are masters at dealing with thin strikes, still getting the ball up and putting enough spin on it to stop and the sole does a fantastic job of gliding through the turf. Very forgiving without being a fat grind.
  • Ballspeed is definitely on the quicker side; I didn't have my Quad with me today but these seem to be on the same level as a T200/PXG 0311P/TR20P etc.
  • The ball flight with these is very straight. You can shape shots but really, the ball wants to go straight. This probably isn't the best iron if you are hitting 5 different shot shapes per hole. Might have to do with the offset and the CG location (or my lack of skill) but these irons support the "straight".

I'll add more thoughts after I've played them for a while. So far its a very positive first impression even thou my game sucked today.

Appreciate the feedback! Awesome continued review!

1 minute ago, MasterOfTheSlice said:

'22 or '23? I wouldn't be able to wait that long lol

LOL, yeah.  '22 is tempting.  Apparently I have more patience than the majority on the "my clubs are delayed" threads.

I will start saving for the heads now, and will see what happens.  This is the only iron that I have been seriously interested in since I purchased Srixon 565's.  I am content with them, and there is no rush to replace the two sets that I have.

Also, I am trying to go all season with zero changes to the bag.  It is going to be a long year...

• Like 2

Have Fun - Ready Golf - Repair Divots/Marks - FORE

1 minute ago, Puttersaurus Rex said:

LOL, yeah.  '22 is tempting.  Apparently I have more patience than the majority on the "my clubs are delayed" threads.

I will start saving for the heads now, and will see what happens.  This is the only iron that I have been seriously interested in since I purchased Srixon 565's.  I am content with them, and there is no rush to replace the two sets that I have.

Also, I am trying to go all season with zero changes to the bag.  It is going to be a long year...

More patient than I sure am! haha

But yeah man, definitely worth at least demo'ing, solid solid irons. Quickly picking up popularity, '22 will be a great year for them! 565's are good sticks, so I can see why you are content with them. Played a blended set of zx7's/ zx5's before moving to protos and man oh man do I have no interest in going back! Reach out to @NerdyGolfer when you want to get some, he will hook you up with a solid wrx discount on heads or built clubs! Only reason I could afford them haha

• Thanks 1

On 2/18/2022 at 4:24 PM, m_w said:

Wanna give a huge shout-out to @NerdyGolfer for educating me on the Proto Concept irons and helping me with heads. Truly someone who loves the game and is out here to help people get great clubs. I bought a set of C05's from him and had the heads assembled by BryanGolf out of Florida. Nerdy went above and beyond to ensure the heads would arrive on time - great communication all the way - can't recommend this guy highly enough.

The C05's look real nice, had them shafted with MMT's. Will take them to the course on Sunday and report back after some thorough testing.

66691461828__FF612573-E424-47FE-A8CF-DFFCE1D6D2C3.fullsizerender.JPG

so gorgeous! jealous.

• Like 1

I have the wedges and love them so I am gonna give the irons a try

61238F47-145F-490F-A8C4-D425FFDD6698.jpeg

• Like 2

[size=3][b][color=#696969][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TM M3 440 - MCA Tensei Pro Orange 60TX[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]CALLAWAY Rogue 15 - [/font][/color][color=#696969][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]MCA Tensei Pro Orange 70TX[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]CALLAWAY Apex 20 - GD Tour AD DI Hybrid[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TM P790 4-PW - Modus 120s[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]FOURTEEN RM Tour Issue 50, 54, 60 - Modus Black 125[/font][/color][/b][/size][b]
[color=#696969][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]SCOTTY CAMERON Custom Mid Slant 009 Tour[/font][/color][/b]
[b][size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]IG: dphatt[/font][/size][/b]

11 hours ago, MasterOfTheSlice said:

Lookin good! Where’d you pick the heads up?

I sell them 

• Like 1

[size=3][b][color=#696969][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TM M3 440 - MCA Tensei Pro Orange 60TX[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]CALLAWAY Rogue 15 - [/font][/color][color=#696969][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]MCA Tensei Pro Orange 70TX[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]CALLAWAY Apex 20 - GD Tour AD DI Hybrid[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TM P790 4-PW - Modus 120s[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]FOURTEEN RM Tour Issue 50, 54, 60 - Modus Black 125[/font][/color][/b][/size][b]
[color=#696969][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]SCOTTY CAMERON Custom Mid Slant 009 Tour[/font][/color][/b]

10 hours ago, MasterOfTheSlice said:

And it took you this long to jump on board? 😜

I am a new store and I only opened up the account a few weeks ago. So far it’s been selling pretty well. 

20FDB92F-37A7-4C47-8F53-891D392A8D6B.jpeg

• Like 1

Change of plans after building one iron with the MMT. I went with the Aerotech Steelfiber j108 instead. So far its been really good. It has the same distance as my P790s but way better feel. I will test these outside later this week. 

52E16260-7B5F-4357-87E3-F5C5A7F0B957.jpeg

989AFF81-60FC-4063-9731-F565528FBBAF.jpeg

• Like 2

On 2/28/2022 at 1:40 PM, DoNDoN said:

Change of plans after building one iron with the MMT. I went with the Aerotech Steelfiber j108 instead. So far its been really good. It has the same distance as my P790s but way better feel. I will test these outside later this week. 

52E16260-7B5F-4357-87E3-F5C5A7F0B957.jpeg

989AFF81-60FC-4063-9731-F565528FBBAF.jpeg

what profile is that J108 shaft?

20 hours ago, m_w said:

what profile is that J108 shaft?

I would say it’s similar to the i95 with a higher bend point