Was the Ping Eye2 clubs really that good? Judge for yourself.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Every man and his dog had a Ping long iron in the bag when I was growing up, including me, and Eye 2 wedges were ubiquitous at every level of the game. You also saw umpteen players with a bagful of th

The Ping Eye2s are the AK-47s of golf.  Timeless design, played and won at the highest levels of golf, and durable as hell.

Used my dad's set when I growing up for probably 5 years. They were built to last, the design was brilliant and miles ahead of its time, and just 100% function in every part of the club.   

Posted Images

I still own 1986 Ping Eye2's and i bust them out every now and then. One thing i will say is that i much prefer the feel of the newer irons. 

But yeah, i mean, they still perform pretty well!

• Like 2

Cobra Radspeed XB tour length 9 w/ PX Hzrdus RDX Smoke Black 80
Cobra F9 Tour 13.5 w/PX Hzrdus Smoke Black 70
Callaway Apex 20 w/PX Catalyst 70
Cobra King Forged TEC 4-GW w/Nippon Modus 130

Cobra King MIM Black 56 and 60 wedges w/ Modus 130

SGC #002 flow neck 385g

If mine (plus-no-plus model 2-PW) hadn't been stolen out of my garage 14 years ago (they were probably 14 years old at the time), I'd still probably be playing them.

Edited by pseudoswede
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Live in Colorado? Visit ColoradoWRX!

Ping G LS Tec 9° 65X
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56°, 60° (orange dot)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

The Ping Eye 2 will always be a revered classic by most people.  Personally, they were a little chunky for me, but they got the job done. 

About 3 years ago, I bought a set for a friend who was starting to get into golf.  We went out and I hit a couple of the irons...to my surprise, those irons still hit the ball as one would expect.  Sometimes when something works...it just works.  He liked the irons and hated his woods, he commissioned me to find him a 2 iron and a 1 iron.  As much as I tried to talk him out of it, I found a 1 and 2 iron and bought them for him.  He still leaves his 3w and 5w out of the bag.

• Like 3

Hey, I still love my Zing 2's, but love my Vapor Pro Combos more. I bought the Pings because of the shape, I loved the hard toe line.

Taylormade M3 driver

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 70G shaft (cut to 44")

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Lazrus 3 18* Hybrid 

KZG Forged 2-M cavity back 2-6

KZG Forged Blade 7-PW

Lazrus 52/8 and 56/12 wedges

Tour "Percision" [sic] Milled TP-M5 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips

Just had my Ping Eye 2 BeCu irons refinished and reshafted.  Now they look too good to use.  To me, they're icons. 

Edited by bear87
  • Like 3

Ping G400 Max Driver | 9.75° Ventus Blue
Callaway Epic Speed | 15° | Diamana ZF

Callaway Epic Speed | 18° Accra Fx 2.0 200F
Ping G410 3H | 19° Graphite Design IZ-75

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4 | 21° Diamana Thump

Srixon ZX4/ZX5 | 5I-6I / 7I-PW LAGP Tour AXS BLUE 105
Callaway Jaws MD5 | 50° & 54° Aerotech SteelFiber i95cw

Callaway PM Grind 19 | 58° KBS HiRev2.0

Spider X Chalk | Stability Tour

Watched the Crossfield video yesterday, figured there’d be a decent yardage gain. But the dispersion on the 9 iron was impressive and take away a few outliers on the 7 and 5 and that’s impressive also. 

Image the sales to us “experienced” golfers if they packaged some modern tech, somehow, in that actual style (heck with a 2 iron included!) Ping Eye 22? 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Skaffa77 said:

The Ping Eye 2 will always be a revered classic by most people.  Personally, they were a little chunky for me, but they got the job done. 

About 3 years ago, I bought a set for a friend who was starting to get into golf.  We went out and I hit a couple of the irons...to my surprise, those irons still hit the ball as one would expect.  Sometimes when something works...it just works.  He liked the irons and hated his woods, he commissioned me to find him a 2 iron and a 1 iron.  As much as I tried to talk him out of it, I found a 1 and 2 iron and bought them for him.  He still leaves his 3w and 5w out of the bag.

Loved them! Played Driver, 1-LW, Anser or B60 for years! 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Gsea said:

Was impressed with the distance he hits the eye2s

When I played Eye2+ for a year, I gained distance on most clubs.  For me, it was related to hitting them higher, with less spin.  In spite of my already normal higher trajectory.

• Like 2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 10*, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Matrix 8m3 X, 42"
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, NV105 S or DGS400

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft pending); 1-PW Golden Ram TW282 or Vibration Matched Golden Rams, RIP Tour 115 R (coin flipping for the reshaft project); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, DGS400; Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Ram Watson Scoring System 55*, DGX 7i shaft; Ram TG-898, DGS400; Ram TG-898, NV105 S; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS300; Ram 1982 Commemorative Nickel 58*, Dynamic S; Ram TW282, DGS; Ram TW276, DGS; Ram Troon Grind 58*, Dynamic S; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, DGS400; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, NV105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional or TaylorMade TP5

I will say this and I am a confirmed blade man--- IMHO they are a timeless design. They still hold their value on the used club market today. Yes I have a Eye2 and Zing SW that I sneak into the bag from time to time depending on the course. I also have a couple of Eye2 1 irons that I sneak in especially if the wind is way up and the course is dry. Back in the day playing competitive golf I carried a Eye2 or Karsten 1 One iron in my bag. That Karsten 1 replaced a 985 Tommy Armour Macgregor Custom 1 iron in my bag that is how good they were. Now I will say other than the long irons they are not the distance getters of today. I never did like the short irons except the Sand Wedges do I would have played them. I would say today with more modern shafts that they would hit as good as any modern CB

MY .02 FWIW

• Like 4

Driver--- Honma G1-X Stock Regular shaft

3W Callaway Steel Head UST 65 Pro Force Gold Stiff

2I-- 1980 Macgregor VIP Nike R steel shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1980 Mac Vip Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW Cleveland 588 56* S- 400 Sensicore

Putter Old Rusty Santa Fe Bulls Eye fluted shaft

Bag Old Ping Hoofer I had in my stash

I can't get them out of my dad's bag.  He's had his Eye2s since before I was born (and I'm 35, lol).

Still breaks 80 with them though.

Edited by Celebros
  • Like 3

Cobra Radspeed (10)

Cobra F8+ (14.5, 19)

Cobra Utility (23.5)

Cobra Forged Tour (5-PW)

Cobra Black (50, 54, 58)

PING Heppler Fetch

Snell MTB Black

8 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

I will say this and I am a confirmed blade man--- IMHO they are a timeless design. They still hold their value on the used club market today. Yes I have a Eye2 and Zing SW that I sneak into the bag from time to time depending on the course. I also have a couple of Eye2 1 irons that I sneak in especially if the wind is way up and the course is dry. Back in the day playing competitive golf I carried a Eye2 or Karsten 1 One iron in my bag. That Karsten 1 replaced a 985 Tommy Armour Macgregor Custom 1 iron in my bag that is how good they were. Now I will say other than the long irons they are not the distance getters of today. I never did like the short irons except the Sand Wedges do I would have played them. I would say today with more modern shafts that they would hit as good as any modern CB

MY .02 FWIW

Stu,

Like I said I'm going to re-shaft a set of ss eye2s heads with your experience what's a decent shaft to look at considering the light weight of these heads?

Thanks

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Gsea said:

Stu,

Like I said I'm going to re-shaft a set of ss eye2s heads with your experience what's a decent shaft to look at considering the light weight of these heads?

Thanks

Well how old are you and what is your Swing Speed? And are you talking steel or graphite?

Driver--- Honma G1-X Stock Regular shaft

3W Callaway Steel Head UST 65 Pro Force Gold Stiff

2I-- 1980 Macgregor VIP Nike R steel shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1980 Mac Vip Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW Cleveland 588 56* S- 400 Sensicore

Putter Old Rusty Santa Fe Bulls Eye fluted shaft

Bag Old Ping Hoofer I had in my stash

Perfect timing, I am in the same boat, 11 hdcp hit the 7 ... 138 yards ...had these sticks since 1986 and have replaced 4,5,8 all rusty inside. Practise club is a slazenger 5 Hogan 1970 w a Hogan apex 4 shaft that I thought was a regular shaft but was told by golf shop just yesterday they are stiff .

The golf shop suggested  new ping regular shafts at $ 50 per plus grip/install cdn ...

Need direction as well ..

Thanks in advance ...

Ping G 10 stock reg
Titleist 910 project X
Yonex 19*
eye 2 1986 3 - lw
odyssey 9 counterbalanced
WITB Link

Ping Eye2 was a watershed club in terms of both folklore and technology.

This was the first refinement of the perimeter-weighted iron concept, and the model with slight tweaks went on for about a decade.

One thing about the perimeter-weighting. It did launch the ball high, but in doing so came up a few yards short of its contemporary blade irons. So, the Ping guys strengthened the lofts about 2* so that the Eye2 model didn't lose distance to competitors. Then, the marketing guys got ahold of the idea, and we know the rest of the story.

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind being tested as possible SW to replace MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

I'm not saying this is the optimal modern shaft, but I put in a set of Ping AWT 2.0 in an Eye 2+no+ refurb in 2018.  They played fine.  A club shorter than modern stuff for obvious reasons.  Overall fairway grass length is much shorter today than it was in the early 90s.  So if Ping reintroduced them, I think they'd have to add bounce.

Ping G410 Plus
Ping G410 3 wood, Cobra F6 Baffler
Callaway XR hybrids

PXG 0211 1st gen irons 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54/14 and Zing Lob wedges
Odyssey Triple Track 2-Ball putter

37 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

I've never hit them because I'm sure that the offset would do nothing at all for my game, but as an icon they're a landmark club. Damn, now I'm getting gas for trying a set anyway...

This is where I am at.  I bought a set, brand new, in 1988 without even hitting them because they were all the rage.  A WRXer before Al Gore invented the internet...

They lasted about two months.  I simply could not get past the offset and the fact the short irons looked more like garden implements than golf clubs.  I listed them for sale on the golf course corkboard and sold them in three days for more than I paid for them because at the time they were flying off shelves and hard to come by.

A few years later, the i3+ Blade was released.  It was basically the Eye2 with far less offset and a small weight port behind the sweetspot.  To date they are the clubs that lasted longest in my bag and I still have them.

The Eye2 wasn’t my thing but there is no doubt they are truly iconic and atop Mt Olympus next to the Anser as the biggest impact in golf equipment history.

• Like 1

917D2 9.5 w/S+

2 x TS2 @ 16.5 and 21

2 x 818 H1 @ 22 and 26 w/AD-DI 95

ZX5 6i and ZX7 7i-PW - Modus 105

SM7 50-12, Vokey Forged 56-12K, SM6 58-12K @ 59

Ping MnBn MyDay

Reshafting E2's has been a common question in FB Ping group that I play in.  The most common shaft in E2's were mostly likely ZZ-Lites.  Weight of 115g, tip stiff, high bend point, and stiff flex.  Contemporary shafts that matches this metric (or at least similar) would be TTDG 120 (119g in stiff) or TTDG 105 (103g in stiff) if one was to go to lighter weight.  At least that the weight range and bend profiles (absent comparing slopes) are similar to the Lites.  Otherwise, whatever shaft you find suitable and playable in other irons.  Keeping in mind you'll may have to finesse the swing weights depending on the weight category selected. 

No doubt, E2's are an iconic iron.  Likely there will not be another iron design that was so universally accepted across such a broad range of players.  Still very playable 30+ years further on.  Durability is outstanding, one can still find good condition implements.  And with a retumble, can be made to look practically new.  However, I've found them to be a bit ponderous for my tastes.  For OSP (Old School Ping) irons, rather play BeNi ISI's.  Which I do, with regularity.  Still trying to figure out what "modern" irons will do for my game that these don't.  Ball goes straight, the required distance.  What am I missing?

GN5Lq8YuRGunzPoqgHd7hA.jpg.8294d422c3c890a89db2398b136b4106.jpg

• Like 2

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Just to add to the voices saying these are iconic (Eye-conic??) irons. I've never played a full set of these, but knew so many good players who did.

I was given a BeCu L-wedge back in the day, but couldn't get over the offset. After getting back into golf about 10 years ago, I rediscovered the L-wedge back home and took it out for a spin. While I still don't like it off tight lies, it's amazing from the rough and bunkers. So much so, that I recently bought an updated SW.

I quite like the idea of getting an EYE2 1i or 2i to try as well. 

B-52s indeed.