Why have we moved to heavier putters?

theothertwo

On 2/5/2021 at 6:57 AM, cmatthews77 said:

To be honest I'm not sure i understand the philosophy behind counter-balancing weight on putter grips.  My assumption would be that if you added more weight at the grip end it would make the head feel lighter than it was but I don't know..

I don’t understand either. The pívot point are the shoulders however the weight on the grips are between the shoulders and the putter, to effectively counter-balance it should be at the other side of the pivot point. Just thing in a boom like the image below, the red arrow is the counter balance of the camera. It’s just physics but marketing might have twisted physics.

D8023DDC-264B-4A35-BD34-56DE9A33A4B5.jpeg

2 hours ago, j.a. said:

I don’t understand either. The pívot point are the shoulders however the weight on the grips are between the shoulders and the putter, to effectively counter-balance it should be at the other side of the pivot point. Just thing in a boom like the image below, the red arrow is the counter balance of the camera. It’s just physics but marketing might have twisted physics.

D8023DDC-264B-4A35-BD34-56DE9A33A4B5.jpeg

There is definitely a release to the putter head. Counter balancing allows an overall heavier head (higher MOI) without impacting the feel of release.

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZX5 MkII 4-5 / ZX7 MkII 6-P  Modus 120X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Vokey SM9 54S/60M Modus 125 Wedge
Nike Neo

ZStar

Dont shoot the messenger here - but I found it interesting that the Burnt Edges blog mentions that, while chasing higher MOI (mainly with far back CoG), heavier heads were creating a side effect... momentum particularly at the end of the backswing was causing the heavier heads to keep drifting back (and face opening to the path) even though the effort of the player at that moment was to stop the backswing and initiate the front swing; think huge tanker (still drifting even though the motors have started rotating in reverse order)... from there, players effort was to close the face (and it could cause open/close/open oscillations; by momentum/gravity/effort - a big no-no)... basically that the player was losing a bit of control with the heavier head... even though the idea was to have a stable pendulum with a sledgehammer... food for thought

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, MtlJayMan said:

Burnt Edges blog mentions that, while chasing higher MOI (mainly with far back CoG), heavier heads were creating a side effect... momentum particularly at the end of the backswing was causing the heavier heads to keep drifting back (and face opening to the path) 

@MtlJayMan: Do you have a link to that Burnt Edges blog post pls?

Am curious whether similar observations led to the “FCG” putter concept eg Cleveland and Taylormade?

(vs the ‘conventional’ rearwards weighting for higher MOI...

sorry if getting slightly away from OP’s original question!)

..Edit: Found this...

Burnt Edges Consulting: 

https://bargolfinstruction.blogspot.com/2018/?m=1

If you have a perception of straight back and straight through and fight a push, we would highly recommend a putter with the cog closer to the face and a slight amount of toe hang. It might be a simple solution to your problem.”

Sunday, September 30, 2018

Edited by JungleJimbo

I putted for many years with an old Ping Anser, that I bought new in the late 80's.  I was a great lag putter with it but struggled at times with the short ones.  When I went with a heavier putter I started making more of the knee knockers that you want to make, but maybe my lag putting has dropped off a bit.  I've been hitting putts in my basement this winter with the Ping, it's feeling really good...I might have to take it for a spin this spring, could even add a bit of lead tape.  Hmmmmm......

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

16 minutes ago, MtlJayMan said:

Dont shoot the messenger here - but I found it interesting that the Burnt Edges blog mentions that, while chasing higher MOI (mainly with far back CoG), heavier heads were creating a side effect... momentum particularly at the end of the backswing was causing the heavier heads to keep drifting back (and face opening to the path) even though the effort of the player at that moment was to stop the backswing and initiate the front swing; think huge tanker (still drifting even though the motors have started rotating in reverse order)... from there, players effort was to close the face (and it could cause open/close/open oscillations; by momentum/gravity/effort - a big no-no)... basically that the player was losing a bit of control with the heavier head... even though the idea was to have a stable pendulum with a sledgehammer... food for thought

This would explain why I don't like the high MOI putters.  I always seem to pull them left out of nowhere on occasion. 

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

15 minutes ago, JungleJimbo said:

@MtlJayMan: Do you have a link to that Burnt Edges blog post pls?

Am curious whether similar observations led to the “FCG” putter concept eg Cleveland and Taylormade?

(vs the ‘conventional’ rearwards weighting for higher MOI...

sorry if getting slightly away from OP’s original question!)

..Edit: Found this...

Burnt Edges Consulting: 

https://bargolfinstruction.blogspot.com/2018/?m=1

If you have a perception of straight back and straight through and fight a push, we would highly recommend a putter with the cog closer to the face and a slight amount of toe hang. It might be a simple solution to your problem.”

Sunday, September 30, 2018

That’s the right blog... find the articles on; your putter head might need a diet or something to that extent (3-4 articles I think)... interesting read and as I said, food for thought if you feel that the putter is controlling your stroke...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, dlygrisse said:

I putted for many years with an old Ping Anser, that I bought new in the late 80's.  I was a great lag putter with it but struggled at times with the short ones.  When I went with a heavier putter I started making more of the knee knockers that you want to make, but maybe my lag putting has dropped off a bit.  I've been hitting putts in my basement this winter with the Ping, it's feeling really good...I might have to take it for a spin this spring, could even add a bit of lead tape.  Hmmmmm......

I’m a few months ahead of you on the exact same journey.  I’ve decided my 80s vintage MnBn Anser feels better than any other putter I’ve used - including numerous OTR Camerons and Bettinardis and a handful of Odyssey inserts.  I had a well known and highly respected custom putter guy make me a 320g Dalehead Anser replica.  Absolute piece of artwork but felt like dog squeeze.  Makes me wonder if it’s possible the creep upward in weight was driven by attempting to make carbon and stainless feel as good as the MnBn designs folks were busy copying from Karsten’s designs.

BTW, the old Ping is now utterly safe in the bag.  Jump in - the water is fine and as an added bonus you will reduce to zero the chances somebody lifts your putter from your bag.

Edited by Aviador Naval
  • Like 2

TSi3 10

TS2 16.5 & 21

G425 22 & 26

ZX7 6i - PW

Vokey 54F-14, 58K-12

Spider X

13 hours ago, Aviador Naval said:

I’m a few months ahead of you on the exact same journey.  I’ve decided my 80s vintage MnBn Anser feels better than any other putter I’ve used - including numerous OTR Camerons and Bettinardis and a handful of Odyssey inserts.  I had a well known and highly respected custom putter guy make me a 320g Dalehead Anser replica.  Absolute piece of artwork but felt like dog squeeze.  Makes me wonder if it’s possible the creep upward in weight was driven by attempting to make carbon and stainless feel as good as the MnBn designs folks were busy copying from Karsten’s designs.

BTW, the old Ping is now utterly safe in the bag.  Jump in - the water is fine and as an added bonus you will reduce to zero the chances somebody lifts your putter from your bag.

I don't know how MnBn feels but I just recently picked up a BeNi J Blade and it feels fantastic.  Been putting around in the basement since I picked it up and balance, feel and setup is great.  Can't wait to get it out to a putting green as well as the course.

I have used a Ping Zing 5BZ and a Pal 5BZ and putted pretty well but always thought they were probably little too light.  So once I found out BeNi putters weighed more I kept my eye out for one.

• Like 1

Maltby KE4 TC Max MPF Pro Stiff
Callaway Rogue 3W Synergy 60

Maltby KE4 Tour TC 19*, 22* Matrix  HX3 White Tie
Taylormade Burner TP Japan Issue 5-PW DG120

Callaway MD4 Raw 52*, 58* DG115
Maltby PTM-5

• 2 weeks later...

I have enjoyed reading this thread.

Some things to consider.

1. Player posture

2. source of motion ex. core rotation or arm swing

3. Physical strength. size of players forearms and/or shoulders.

4. That total weight and balance point are separate issues to consider.

all of these help explain why all these different opinions are correct. 

• Like 1

It’s all marketing to my mind.  I putt with an old manganese bronze anser with the sound slot.   It’s pretty light compared to modern things.  
Seems the marketing dept was able to convince many that heavier was better.  To me lighter is better feeling as the ball can react with something lighter.  Taken to an extreme imagine a one ton putter hitting a ball, you wouldn’t feel a thing.  if feel helps you learn what works a lighter putter should work better 

Edited by 2Down
  • Like 1

G430 MAX 10K 9° w/ventus velocore red 5s

G430 MAX threewood ping chrome tour2 65 S
Taylor Made SIM MAX2 5wood w/ventus velocore blue 7

Adams 23º 9031 proto w' diamana ahina 82
Eye2   3-SW

Oddessy Rossie nsl og slant neck.  

I have noticed that my backswing is all over the place with lighter putters.  When I pull out some of my old TPM putters, my backswing is pretty erratic, and as a result I don't hit the exact middle of the face very often at impact.  But when I switch back to my newer heavier putters, the backswing goes back to being online and I strike the middle of the face much more consistently. 

Tour Edge c721/HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 3 wood/UST Elements MK
Ping g410 4h Tensei blue

Maltby TS3 6-Gap w/Nippon N.S. Pro 1050GH

SnakeEyes 685BX 52*/Callaway Jaws Raw 58Z

TP Mills Sycamore Hakd Made, flow neck pencil shaft, 342 grams, Grip Master Roo FL27

Carbon Ringo wide-flange, slant neck, 330 grams

GP Side Saddle Broomstick, 45"

At this point I just believe its what you get accustomed to.  For years I putted well with a Ping berylium copper Anser 2 putter.  Then the Scotty Cameron craze hit and I got a Newport 2 (Anser knockoff).  It was noticeably heavier but I told myself "its a Scotty so it must be better". I've used it for the past several years with no complaints.  A couple weeks ago I played and the greens were a bit lumpy (result of frosts and thaws) so I got out my old Ping again.  It felt very light (and odd) compared to the Newport.  But I'm sure playing a few more rounds with it I would mentally adjust to it again.  

Edited by cristphoto

I think it's mostly feel.  I myself prefer heavier putters whereas my cousin loves the old anser style putter which is super light in comparison.  I have a Scotty Newport that has two 15 gram weights on the sole and it just feels right for my putting stroke.  I've had it for 11 years and I usually never keep a putter for longer than 3. 

Edited by phizzy30

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

350 is the limit for me, and even then I use a 93g grip to balance it so it doesn't feel like a sledge hammer.

I've been messing around with a Mizuno Betti BC4 @ 343g lately, as well as a couple of other 340'ish putters with great success. 

The greens I play most often are pretty quick and I find my lag putting suffers with putters over 350g

Slower greens are a bit better with the heavy heads for me.

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

On 2/4/2021 at 9:56 AM, theothertwo said:

Most modern putters I believe range from 330 to 360g on average.  I think the old Ping Ansers, Wilson 8802s and Bullseye putters were all lighter than this and they won a lot of tournaments.  Why heavier putters?  Sorry if this a dumb question  or has been addressed before.

As others have said, primarily green speeds.  I find it easier to keep a heavier putter on path when making a softer (lighter) stroke as compared to a harder stroke on slower greens.  I can use a heavier putter to make a longer/harder stroke on slow greens if I need to.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

I havent. I have zero speed control over 340g

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Speeder 757 Evo TS X

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

On 2/16/2021 at 3:17 PM, MtlJayMan said:

This makes a lot of sense to me.   It is probably the explanation for the conventional wisdom that lighter putters are better for slow greens, and why lots of folks say they struggle with lag putting with heavy putters.  For long putts, or for slow greens, you need a faster swing, which means more "inertia" to overcome in the transition.    To me, it seems that overcoming that inertia could easily lead to consistency issues with face closure and speed control.   Personally, high moi mallets are great for short putts, but I struggle lag putting with them.  

Taylormade M5 9* w/Prolaunch Blue 45
Taylormade Stealth 3HL 16.5* w/Proforce V2 65 
Taylormade M2 5HL 21* w/Proforce V2 65
Adams Pro Mini Hybrids: 23*, 26* w/VS Proto 95
Srixon Zx65 Combo Irons (Z565 6, Z765 7-9, Z965 PW) w/TT AMT Black
Vokeys: SM7 52-12F, SM7 58-12D, WedgeWorks 60-10V (at 62-12), all w/Pro Modus3 115 Wedge
Odyssey DXF Doublewide

I think it all depends on the grip style and grip pressure by the player. So many putters come with oversize and jumbo diameter grips on them nowadays, that any traditional weighted styles begin feeling too light. I also think that for yippy players, it's better to engage the larger muscles that are less prone to twitching, hence the heavier designs as well. 

However, if you decrease your grip pressure to match faster greens, a lighter putter with a traditional grip might work better. I've always found a delicate balance in varied grip pressure and green speeds to be essential, and that's why more grip pressure is needed to "control" a more accelerated stroke on slower greens. With this increased grip pressure for slower greens, a heavier head is necessary to keep the same balance & feel in the hands. I think this is why Tiger usually goes heavier on slow greens, ie Open conditions. Ymmv

Edited by A.Princey

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick