Ping eye 2 glide wedge

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I liked the Eye 2 grind on full shots from the fairway/rough and from the bunker. It wasn't my favorite for chip and pitch shots from tight lies, but that may have been more due to operator error. 

I have a 54° and 58°.      open em up and they splash under the ball great.  Square to closed for a plugged one.   Love em around the green. The leading edge let’s you get to any ball but if your

thanks for all your input .. i will end up with the 54 deg WS instead. better fit for me

1 minute ago, animalgolfs said:

In firm conditions the new Eye 2 are amongst the better options IMO

Now if the conditions are damp/wet - I think SS is a way better option 

Agreed, the Eye 2 grind is good in softer sand if the face is open and you expose that cuppy sole, but with a square face it plays pretty low bounce.  Great for flop shots and many shots though.  If you pick the ball it might work though, if you are steep and a big divot taker, on soft turf it might not be ideal.  

I think that is why back in the day.....many pros carried a traditional SW and then a Eye 2 LW.  

I pick 14 of the following:
Ping G400
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood
Ping G 400 4 hybrid
Ping G 4-U
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, 58 SS
Grips NDMC +4
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer
ProV1x-mostly
ECCO Biom Hybrid 3

I liked the Eye 2 grind on full shots from the fairway/rough and from the bunker. It wasn't my favorite for chip and pitch shots from tight lies, but that may have been more due to operator error. 

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max Driver | 9.75° Ventus Blue
Callaway Epic Speed | 15° | Diamana ZF

Callaway Epic Speed | 18° Accra Fx 2.0 200F
Ping G410 3H | 19° Graphite Design IZ-75

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4 | 21° Diamana Thump

Srixon ZX4/ZX5 | 5I-6I / 7I-PW LAGP Tour AXS BLUE 105
Callaway Jaws MD5 | 50° & 54° Aerotech SteelFiber i95cw

Callaway PM Grind 19 | 58° KBS HiRev2.0

Spider X Chalk | Stability Tour

I have a 54° and 58°.   

open em up and they splash under the ball great.  Square to closed for a plugged one.   Love em around the green. The leading edge let’s you get to any ball but if your  miss is fat these will bite your hand.  

• Like 1

Sim max 10.5° ventus red r
Ping 5 wood G410 Alta s 
Ping G710 DG 105 R300 4-U 

mizuno T7 54° Bent to 52°
Ping glide stealth 54° es grind bent to 56°
Ping glide 2 58°. ES bent to 60°
SC Red X2. 

tp5x

I have a 58 and 60 Eye 2. Great clubs to open up as already mentioned, wider sole to glide through turf depending on conditions and great for little green side chips. The only thing I'm not a fan of in the entire Glide 3.0 line is the stock shaft as it seems to balloon for me, but YMMV. The end of last season I helped my wife put a 54 and 58 Eye 2 in her bag, and while a little heavy they perform so well for her. 

I'm in the market for a new sand wedge and a 56* Eye 2 is definitely in the running.

Signature!

Ping G425 Max 10.5

Ping G425 3H

Mizuno JPX 921 SEL 4-G

Cleveland RTXZipcore 54 Mid & 58 Mid

Ping PLD Prime Tyne

As wedges the entire 3.0 line is super forgiving.

As mentioned, Eye 2 grind is cash money out of sand. Versatile enough in hard or soft sand.

Greenside fairway or rough also very versatile. 

I will say that the jury is still out for me concerning the Eye 2 grind in the 3.0 vs the ES grind in the original Glide wedges. 3.0 has ALOT of offset, which I know is more representative of the original.

I have found the original glide ES grind with less offset is more consistent on full shots, for me.

I still chalk it up to getting more time with the 3.0, but still hanging onto ole trusty in the meantime.

For anybody that is looking at wedge from the forgiving side of the spectrum a la CBX, the 3.0s really are amazing club. 

I have a Glide 3.0 Eye2 60 degree wedge. Bought it during a serious bunker failure stretch last summer.

Absolutely love it out of the sand, best bunker club I've ever played (although some of that may be history as I learned bunker shots on an OG Ping Eye2 SW 25 years ago). I open it up to increase the bounce and the only bunker issues I have are sometimes on those mid range (10-20 yard) bunker shots, but I'm of the opinion that is just a really hard golf shot regardless of equipment. I also use it for flop shots but generally try and avoid having to play shots like that if at all possible.

My only gripe is that I'm not super comfortable with it making a full swing from the fairway. Not sure if that is more about the low bounce, the light shaft, or a 60 deg club just being hard to put a full swing on. Still keeping it in the bag and I just play all my 50-100 yard shots with varying amounts of swing on my 54 deg wedge. 

Real question is if I pull my MD4 58 degree out of the bag for it or not. I do use that club to chip with if I really need it to come out soft because I just haven't put much time in with the Ping on chipping (and when I have, I haven't loved it). 

18 minutes ago, animalgolfs said:

Always carried BeCu Eye 2+ SW & Eye 2 SW

That's a good combo gap wise.  Also two very distinctly different grinds.  I always wondered why Ping when with such a radically different sole grind on the Eye2+?  I never liked the sole grind on the Eye2 +, seems it's very similar to the modern V grind or the Ping TS grind.  

Ping G400
Ping G 400 4 hybrid
Ping G 4-U
Grips NDMC +4
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer
ProV1x-mostly
ECCO Biom Hybrid 3

3 minutes ago, KParks said:

I have a Glide 3.0 Eye2 60 degree wedge. Bought it during a serious bunker failure stretch last summer.

Absolutely love it out of the sand, best bunker club I've ever played (although some of that may be history as I learned bunker shots on an OG Ping Eye2 SW 25 years ago). I open it up to increase the bounce and the only bunker issues I have are sometimes on those mid range (10-20 yard) bunker shots, but I'm of the opinion that is just a really hard golf shot regardless of equipment. I also use it for flop shots but generally try and avoid having to play shots like that if at all possible.

My only gripe is that I'm not super comfortable with it making a full swing from the fairway. Not sure if that is more about the low bounce, the light shaft, or a 60 deg club just being hard to put a full swing on. Still keeping it in the bag and I just play all my 50-100 yard shots with varying amounts of swing on my 54 deg wedge. 

Real question is if I pull my MD4 58 degree out of the bag for it or not. I do use that club to chip with if I really need it to come out soft because I just haven't put much time in with the Ping on chipping (and when I have, I haven't loved it). 

I say carry them both, having wedges that do a job and help you score are much better than perfect gaps.  Which is more important a 58* that you love on pitch shots or that extra hybrid or long iron?  To me I go with a wedge 99 times out of 100. 

Ping G400
Ping G 400 4 hybrid
Ping G 4-U
Grips NDMC +4
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer
ProV1x-mostly
ECCO Biom Hybrid 3

35 minutes ago, dlygrisse said:

I say carry them both, having wedges that do a job and help you score are much better than perfect gaps.  Which is more important a 58* that you love on pitch shots or that extra hybrid or long iron?  To me I go with a wedge 99 times out of 100. 

Thanks, I agree and I should have been more clear. I am carrying both the 58 and 60 for now (only have 3w, 4hy, 5i at the top of my bag). I think I like it. I just feel like I use the 58 so rarely that if I put it enough time chipping with the 60 I might drop my MD4 58. But I also don't have a huge gap either. /shrug

i have replaced my 58 glide forged by a 60 glide3 eye2 , it is my better club from the sand and it is very  good  for approach (<50 yards).

No full shoot with this club , i prefer a partial shot with my 52 .  No problem for me between 52 and 60.

Edited by phil59

PING G400 10.5° soft-R alta CB
PING G400 wood soft-R 5 (17.5°) 7 (20.5°) 9 (23.5°)
PING G le 2  wood   soft-R 7(27.5°)  9(31.5 °)
ACER wood 15 XDS 37°  UST mamiya MP 5 senior
PING I500 soft-R Alta CB 5 - UW    (22,5° 27°  32,5° 37° 42° 47° 52°)
PING Glide 3 eye2 60° alta CB soft-reg 
PING Sigma 2  FETCH

1 minute ago, TTRacer said:

What makes the eye2 better for hard conditions, less bounce?

It plays low bounce with a square face, the heel is really shaved off too, so it is easy to open the face a bit and slide the heel under the ball.  

It's an interesting grind, narrow heel, wide toe area, with the scooped out middle and the thin hosel with some offset.  It allows you to hit a variety of shots if you know what you are doing.  It can play low, middle, or high bounce depending on how you use it.  

Ping G400
Ping G 400 4 hybrid
Ping G 4-U
Grips NDMC +4
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer
ProV1x-mostly
ECCO Biom Hybrid 3