2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Switch from iron to hybrid - rationale?

Twists

The Ping G425 hybrids are causing somewhat of a problem for me - I can't choose what to play. I hit my Mizuno irons down to 5 around the same carry distance as the equivalent G425 hybrids, and I enjoy hitting both... Distance gapping is fine, so I would am looking at secondary numbers. What would be the most important? Landing angle (to hold the green)? Or decide based on height - and wind?

Actually, I even have the same problem with choosing between the G425 hybrids and woods, which play fantastic as well.

How does everyone choose what kind of club to play? By numbers? - Or by pride (of playing irons instead of hybrids, and hybrids instead of "senior" woods)?

Edited by Twists

• Twists changed the title to Switch from iron to hybrid - rationale?

The ones that go straightest most often.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Srixon Z545 8.5° - Attas 11 7S
Honma TW747 3HL (16.5°) - Tour AD-IZ 7S

Honma TW747 7 wood - Attas 5 GoGo 7S

Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S (alternates with LW)

4-PW 2015 OnOff Forged Kuro - AMT Tour White X100 SSx2

50°-08 - Fourteen RM-4 - AMT X100
56°-10 - Fourteen RM-4 H grind - AMT X100
64°-10 - Callaway Jaws Full Toe Black - Dynamic Gold Spinner (alternates with 3 iron)

Piretti Cottonwood II, 375g - KBS GPS, P2 Aware Tour

Grips - Star Sidewinder 360

Maxfli Tour Yellow

Vessel Player III - Iridium

4 minutes ago, Ger21 said:

Going to be a short topic ... straightest, the right distance, the most consistently.

Depending on skill level, might be few other factors like flight path, ability to hit out of rough, off tee, hit to par 3 length, but it's a pretty short list.

Edited by tatertot

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

4 minutes ago, Ger21 said:

This and numbers for me. My irons start at a 4, and my Cobra 3 utility is a nice 10-12 yards above that. I will be adding a Ping G425 3H because I don't really get on with fairway metals. I only care about using the best/right clubs for me. 

Signature!

There's obviously always going to be trade offs and it's ultimately a personal decision. I play 3 and 4 hybrids and they are some of my favorite clubs in the bag. 

For me, it's all psychological - a matter of confidence over the ball. With the hybrids I'm confident. With irons slightly less so. That's enough to made a significant difference in terms of how often I hit a quality shot with one vs the other.  

• Like 1

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

Flight path... wind... Irons on a windy day.  Hybrids on a pure perfect day.  At least for me.

• Like 1

"Obviously you're not a golfer." ~ The Dude
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it
." ~ Ferris Bueller
"The only thing a golfer needs is more daylight." ~ Ben Hogan

Woods:    Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5* (D,-1) - VA Composites Slay 65 Four | Callaway Rogue ST Max 15* 3W - Aldila Rogue White 130MSI 70S | Callaway Rogue ST Max 20* HeavenWood - Aldila Rogue White 130MSI 70S

Irons:      Artisan FC 4-P - Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff | Mizuno MX-20 4-P DG300S (when I am not getting along with the Artisans)

Wedges:  Artisan 50*, 54*, 58* - DG300S

Putter:     Artisan 0920 long plumbers neck - 360g, 34.25", 3* loft, 66.5* lie | Artisan 0220 long plumbers neck - 360g, 34.25", 3* loft, 66.5* lie

Ball:         Titleist Pro V1 | Bridgestone Tour B X

Once I addressed the distance gapping, I focused on dispersion.  Which, for my amateur swing, could also be called forgiveness.  Final but also important factor would be launch angle/ability to hold a green.  Hope this helps.

• Like 1

TaylorMade Stealth Plus Driver | 10.5° set to 9.75° & 1.5° open Ventus Blue
Callaway Epic Speed | 16.5° | Ventus Red

Callaway Epic Max | 20° | Graphite Design Tour AD DJ
Ping G410 3H | 19° Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-75

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4 | 21° Diamana Thump

Srixon ZX4/ZX5 | 5I-6I / 7I-PW LAGP Tour AXS Blue 105

Callaway Rogue ST Pro | 5I-AW | Aerotech SteelFiber i95cw
Callaway Jaws MD5 | 50° Aerotech SteelFiber i95cw

Callaway Jaws Full Toe Raw Black | 54° & 58° Aerotech SteelFiber i95cw

Bettinardi BB8 Tri Carbon Candy  | Stability Graphite or TaylorMade Spider X Chalk  | Stability Tour

If distance and consistency are about the same, I`d say the next thing would be to figure out what you`re mainly using the clubs for. Layup tee shots? I`d go for irons. Approaches? Maybe hybrids/woods.

For me the clubs in this window are pretty much for 2nd shots on par 5s, maybe on some really long fours. So for me its two things really. Landing angle and playability from rough or other poor lies. I think the latter is something people can easily forget while testing clubs in perfect lies/conditions... I know I can hit some shots out of thick rough with my 4 hybrid that I would have zero chance with an iron

Also, feels GOOD on the tee to know that you have the tools for the second shot even if you miss the fairway. So maybe bomb that drive with a bit more confidence too?

The higher the clubhead speed, the more options a golfer has in bridge clubs. By bridge clubs, I mean those between driver and 5i.

I am odd in that my bridge area is anchored in Fours: 4W, 4H, 4i (and 7W for cleanup work).

I swapped out the steel shaft in my set 4i for a lighter hybrid shaft: it's now a decent driving iron.

Some competition amateurs carry 3W, 5W, 3i. Others skip fairways altogether and load up with hybrids. It all depends on what works.

On 2/5/2021 at 9:28 AM, Twists said:

How does everyone choose what kind of club to play? By numbers? - Or by pride (of playing irons instead of hybrids, and hybrids instead of "senior" woods)?

Also, don't automatically be be dismissive of higher-lofted woods. For example, PGA players who use a 7W include Jason Dufner, Keith Mitchell and Dustin Johnson.

Scott Stallings in Sept 2019 Golf Digest article (p. 36):

"My 7 wood is a more versatile than a utility iron. I can hit it high or low, and the height on full shots into par 5s is so helpful, especially when you're coming in from 240 to 260 yards. I've found a utility 2- or 3-iron doesn't stop very well from that distance."

And, you might not want a 7W for all rounds. But on some courses you might find it a lifesaver.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I had never played a hybrid until I saw the ones that came on the set I bought my son. So I bought a 3 and 4 to try. I hit them both really well, but then I got new irons and decided I needed to try the 3i and 4i. Found a 3, still looking for a 4, but I know the 3h will be on eBay in a week. I might keep the 4h even if I find a 4i. I really like it. Works well both off the tee and the deck.

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

I will agree with club head speed, at least for myself.  I am 62 now and my driver SS on Trackman a few weeks ago is down to an average between 99mph and 100mph.  So though I can hit my 4i pretty consistently, it does not gap past my 5i far enough to be as useful as a 22 degree hybrid.  

Then when I get past that, I actually do duplicate a bit at the 3 hybrid and 5 wood position.  But, while the 5w goes really high and lands really soft, the 3 hybrid can be flighted way down to stay out of the wind and go under limbs on my heavily wooded fairways.

So just reviewing the Trackman report: 

5i-182 and 171 carry

4i-190 and 178 carry

22 hybrid-199 and 183 carry

19 hybrid-216 and 198 carry

5 wood-226 and 202 carry

I think throwing out the 4i makes my set more playable with my SS?

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

For me it comes down to what I'm using the club for.  For example, I used to play with a Mizuno MP H5 1 iron.  It was an incredible club off of the tee, especially into the wind.  But, off the deck it was tough for me to be consistent.  Although I'm not going for par 5s in two that often, since I play in a skins game regularly, I decided I'd like a better option for the times I can go for it.  So I started carrying a Titleist 818 17* hybrid in its place.  I lose a little bit off the tee into the wind, but makeup for it in the landing angle into greens.

As someone mentioned above, think about all the shots you might hit with the club.  For me the hybrid is much easier out of the rough.  But, with the 1 iron, I could hit low screaming hooks and cuts out from under trees if necessary and I can't do that with a hybrid.

If it were me, I'd sit back and think about each club and how I'm most likely using it then go from there.

Titleist TSR4, 7.25*, Aldila Rogue Black 95 MSI 70 S
Titleist TS3, 14.25*, Speeder VC 8.2 Tour Spec X
Titleist 818 H2 17*, Speeder VC 8.8 HB Tour Spec S
Mizuno MP H5, 3 iron, C Taper Lite X
Mizuno MP H5 (4&5), MP 5 (6-PW), DG X100 SSx1
Cleveland RTX6 54/12 (bent to 53*) Raw & 58/10 Black, DG Spinner
Piretti Potenza 1.5
Ball - Titleist AVX Yellow

Dispersion number one, distance control number two.  I have had my 2 hybrid in the bag for 10 years now.  That's how much I like it and it's dialed in when I got on trackman back then.  On really long par 5's or par 3's that are longer than 230(rare), it's my go to.  Launches nice and high and I can expect it to carry 240ish and roll out very little provided I make a good swing.    It's also very versatile out of different lies. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

10 hours ago, rxk9fan said:

I will agree with club head speed, at least for myself.  I am 62 now and my driver SS on Trackman a few weeks ago is down to an average between 99mph and 100mph.  So though I can hit my 4i pretty consistently, it does not gap past my 5i far enough to be as useful as a 22 degree hybrid.  

Then when I get past that, I actually do duplicate a bit at the 3 hybrid and 5 wood position.  But, while the 5w goes really high and lands really soft, the 3 hybrid can be flighted way down to stay out of the wind and go under limbs on my heavily wooded fairways.

So just reviewing the Trackman report: 

5i-182 and 171 carry

4i-190 and 178 carry

22 hybrid-199 and 183 carry

19 hybrid-216 and 198 carry

5 wood-226 and 202 carry

I think throwing out the 4i makes my set more playable with my SS?

Your 5-4 gapping is starting to bunch, but If you can reliably elevate your 4 iron to stop on greens and you can flight it down in windy conditions vs what you can do with the hybrid, the added distance you get from the 22 degree hybrid might not add much.  The distance numbers you gave are similar to what I had several years ago.  I kept the 4 iron because i was more accurate into greens with it and it worked better playing in very windy conditions here in Texas.  Played off 4 then.

• Like 1

I can launch hybrids higher and hit them further out of the rough. I usually favor them all things being equal. 

I sometimes use a Ping Crossover but for important rounds usually the hybrid is in the bag

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

14 hours ago, lefthack said:

I might keep the 4h even if I find a 4i. I really like it. Works well both off the tee and the deck.

My current set-up. I carry both.

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Had my set 4i refitted with lighter graphite shaft... now serves as lower-trajectory driving iron.

• Like 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

17 hours ago, ChipNRun said:

The higher the clubhead speed, the more options a golfer has in bridge clubs. By bridge clubs, I mean those between driver and 5i.

I am odd in that my bridge area is anchored in Fours: 4W, 4H, 4i (and 7W for cleanup work).

I swapped out the steel shaft in my set 4i for a lighter hybrid shaft: it's now a decent driving iron.

Some competition amateurs carry 3W, 5W, 3i. Others skip fairways altogether and load up with hybrids. It all depends on what works.

Also, don't automatically be be dismissive of higher-lofted woods. For example, PGA players who use a 7W include Jason Dufner, Keith Mitchell and Dustin Johnson.

Scott Stallings in Sept 2019 Golf Digest article (p. 36):

"My 7 wood is a more versatile than a utility iron. I can hit it high or low, and the height on full shots into par 5s is so helpful, especially when you're coming in from 240 to 260 yards. I've found a utility 2- or 3-iron doesn't stop very well from that distance."

And, you might not want a 7W for all rounds. But on some courses you might find it a lifesaver.

Agree with the 7w. My home course has 2 tee shots that I need 200-210 yards and I love my 7w for that shot. One is a par 3 and the ball lands so soft.

Mr. Wolfe

For me it comes down to consistency/accuracy (which includes stopping power to a degree) and distance. Gotta hit all the yardage gaps. It took me about an entire season to get use to hitting a hybrid but ultimately it did win out as being more accurate/consistent for me than a 4 iron. I just have far to many poor strikes with a 4 iron. 

With my meager swing speed (95-100 with driver) the 3 wood to me becomes less about hitting a yardage gap and hitting it as far as possible while maintaining reasonable accuracy. 

The way i see it... if you have a set of 6 irons and a few wedges... then you have enough irons... i play a hybrid at 3iron because it gives me that forgivness and power to get to the number i want and for me that's 190-200 yards which it does.  If i need more then that i hit my 3wood. Its that simple to me... if you need two hybrids play 2... dont just set in another iron just because... play what you can hit well and know it will work.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ChipNRun said:

Had my set 4i refitted with lighter graphite shaft... now serves as lower-trajectory driving iron.

I am thinking about doing this with my Ping 2i. It currently has a +1 shaft and was thinking of doing a standard or even -.5 graphite for fun.

There was I time I could hit that club, about 20 years ago. 🤣

• Like 1

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

4 hours ago, MtlJeff said:

I can launch hybrids higher and hit them further out of the rough. I usually favor them all things being equal. 

I sometimes use a Ping Crossover but for important rounds usually the hybrid is in the bag

Me too, though also find crossovers more accurate off the tee.  What do you base your decision on?

For me it's which one will I hit more consistently and therefore have more confidence in.  Hybrids instead of long irons for me.  

Ping G400 max
Ping G410 5 wood
Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

Titleist T350 irons
54* & 58* Sub70 JB Wedges
PXG Operator H w/ BGT stability tour shaft or  SIK FLO C with LAGP shaft

Some of us simply decide how we want to play the game, then make equipment adjustments accordingly.  I don't carry any hybrids and use spin to stop the ball on the green.  Dropping the ball from a satellite is NOT IMO good because that way I am giving control and outcome to the effects of conditions.  I assess conditions and needed style of shot then choose club that makes that happen. 

But between your two suggested options, because I hit mid-trajectory iron shots and use spin to stop the ball - I suppose its height and wind.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

Interesting topic.  I agree with above advice regarding figuring out what shots your want to hit each with then choose.  I have played an 2H with low launch very stiff shaft in the past (even tried a heavy >100 gram stiff) in it and its been great off the tee and low shots into the wind that will run in both cases.  I then always played a 20/21 degree driving iron with steel shaft then 5 iron.  I would just adjust setup for both.  I have decided to switch to higher launching/spinning clubs this year to help increase ball apex and landing angle.  So recently changes to 2H and 4H tour style hybrids that launch it much higher (without ballooning) and are anti left.  Really think this will save a stroke or two a round.  Also removed my 13.5 fairway wood to a #4 pro fairway wood (anti left) to again increase launch off the deck but still won't balloon.  So excited for season to begin.

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 Project X Denali Black 60S 

Callaway AI Smoke Max Project X Denali Black 70S 3 Wood

Callaway Apex UW 19 & 21 deg MMT 70 Stiff

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5

Vokey SM10 50.08F & 56M DG S200

Callaway Jaws Raw Face Chrome 60Z DG Spinner 115 Steel

Odyssey Dual Force OR  Odyssey Jailbird LE 380 Microhinge Putter

TaylorMade TP5

Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black Cart Bag

A green with water short will settle your questions. 

I miss hit 4i will cost you 2, yet a miss hit hybrid should carry. 

I'm down to carrying a 6hyb now, I hit more shots pin high consistently. My miss is no longer short -

• Like 1

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

UST Mamiya - Lamkin - RXS 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1840618-witb-731-full-bag/