Gator Invitational adds Girls division

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In addition to expanding the Boys division to 72 players The Gator is now adding a Girls Division of 24 players. This has been an outstanding Boys event and hopefully will be so for girls as well

Exemption into Dixie Am, hopefully exemption into Kathy Whitworth & Scott Robertson. And presumably more to come.   But, you’re mostly right. It’s just a tourney with a small field. At a PG

It is. And yes, it sort of took off when it went individual invitational

• 3 months later...
4 hours ago, TimberBeast said:

Very glad to see that y’all have added the girls division, we have signed our daughter up. 

Awesome!  Don’t know who you are but hope to see you there. Spread the word. Have some great top end applications but would live to see a little more depth added in these last few weeks of applications. 

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

What is the attraction of this tournament for top girls.  I don't see any exemptions that makes it a must   play tournament.

If your going to play tournaments you are looking for large fields with exemptions and it just isn't here with 24 girls as a field. Not only that it's not ideal to play in a Hot humid area of the south in August. 

Maybe for boys this makes sense but when I looked at the requirements didn't seem to fit the venue and to be honest this looks like sort the thing you want to avoid if you in the top 50. Tournaments like this are dime a dozen.

If you have a top 100 ranked girl you are going to look for events with more than 30 girls and major exemptions to travel.   

A top 50 player can sort of pick where they want to play and there are lots of very big girl tournaments that offer nice exemptions in huge USGA and LPGA tournaments.  Also the best girls tournaments all are girl only tournaments.  Many reasons that is attractive for girls.

To me this looks more like a top 1000 ranked event for girls then a top 50 ranked event.  More like a regular AJGA event. 

If your a top ranked player in the top 50 it's hard for me to believe you even want to play this event unless your not able to compete in a very large field.

Edited by tiger1873
12 hours ago, tiger1873 said:

What is the attraction of this tournament for top girls.  I don't see any exemptions that makes it a must   play tournament.

If your going to play tournaments you are looking for large fields with exemptions and it just isn't here with 24 girls as a field. Not only that it's not ideal to play in a Hot humid area of the south in August. 

Maybe for boys this makes sense but when I looked at the requirements didn't seem to fit the venue and to be honest this looks like sort the thing you want to avoid if you in the top 50. Tournaments like this are dime a dozen.

If you have a top 100 ranked girl you are going to look for events with more than 30 girls and major exemptions to travel.   

A top 50 player can sort of pick where they want to play and there are lots of very big girl tournaments that offer nice exemptions in huge USGA and LPGA tournaments.  Also the best girls tournaments all are girl only tournaments.  Many reasons that is attractive for girls.

To me this looks more like a top 1000 ranked event for girls then a top 50 ranked event.  More like a regular AJGA event. 

If your a top ranked player in the top 50 it's hard for me to believe you even want to play this event unless your not able to compete in a very large field.

Exemption into Dixie Am, hopefully exemption into Kathy Whitworth & Scott Robertson. And presumably more to come.

But, you’re mostly right. It’s just a tourney with a small field. At a PGA Tour course, with a membership that opens their arms to the best juniors in the country. An event that has proven to be highly successful on the boys side and is trying to present another opportunity for high level Girls junior golf—I’m sure there are too many already. 

An event that chose a small girls field to start due to the unknown and the skepticism of folks like you. It’s hard to break into Girls events. 

But keep chasing that AJGA dream and spotting those cheaters, Miss Tiger. 

independent events that actually care about the kids will keep trying to churn along. 

• Like 2
13 hours ago, tiger1873 said:

A tournament has to walk before it can run.   This is just common sense. The US Masters was the first major golf tournament to host a 72-hole, 4-day game. It was the first to pair golfers, the first to be covered nationwide (by radio of course), and the first to use the par system we see in all golf tournaments today. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Putter - Ben Hogan by Bettinardi BHB5-SS

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Pinewood Golfer said:

Exemption into Dixie Am, hopefully exemption into Kathy Whitworth & Scott Robertson. And presumably more to come.

But, you’re mostly right. It’s just a tourney with a small field. At a PGA Tour course, with a membership that opens their arms to the best juniors in the country. An event that has proven to be highly successful on the boys side and is trying to present another opportunity for high level Girls junior golf—I’m sure there are too many already. 

An event that chose a small girls field to start due to the unknown and the skepticism of folks like you. It’s hard to break into Girls events. 

But keep chasing that AJGA dream and spotting those cheaters, Miss Tiger. 

independent events that actually care about the kids will keep trying to churn along. 

First off the Dixie Amateur is not something you should want to play it's played at Palm Aire in Ft Lauderdale and is basically on a course that needs to be shut down.  You also do not need an exemption to play that tournament they take anyone with a pulse.

Scott Robertson is easier to  get into then the Gator Invitational. So no reason to play a qualifier for a tournament that you most likely will get into anyways. (By the way read the social media of parents who were there. It is very informative and quite sad if what was said is true.)

The Kathy Whitworth would be good but I can tell you if you get into the tournament based on your criteria your already in the Kathy Whitworth if you want to play.

If you want to be a premier event take applications and select the best field don't list a bunch of crazy criteria and act like you are a top event when you are not.  Lots of girls in the region will apply and the event will grow if you do that.

Honestly it looks likes a great event for kids ranked 200-1000 but what I read on the application it seems like you don't want those kids.  The priority list is laughable and looks like it was created by someone who knows nothing about Junior Girl Events.  It's easier to get into the US Girls Junior or  Girls PGA Championship which is what Girls ranked as high on the criteria listed below should be playing.

Based on what I am seeing is you are going to end up getting high ranked girls who are about to drop in the rankings because they are afraid of playing or can't do well against large fields. 

https://www.ccjackson.com/files/GI_Priority-Levels_Girls.pdf  

Edited by tiger1873
Posted (edited)

Just my opinion, but a girl's division should never had been added.  Either add stand alone dates, or don't do it at all.  Girls become an after thought in events like these when added (ie 24 girl field), especially in the area of course set up.

The Dixie is a great event at a horrible venue.  Not to hard to get into without an exemption.

Edited by heavy_hitter
  • Like 1
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, StudentGolfer4 said:

Are you guys familiar with the Dye Junior Invitational at Crooked Stick? It’s only in the second year and intentionally has a small field, but from what I hear it’s a first class event with a great field. 

Hard to say but it looks like a good tournament from what I can tell. Not sure if I read it correct but looks liker there was no cost to play it. That is a nice surprise.

Trying to play tournaments to game rankings is stupid. Just play what makes sense. If you score low enough your going to be just fine.  At the end of the day you should be playing tournaments that are fun and make sense financially  or you do them because provide a fun time.

Edited by tiger1873

@tiger1873 it has gotten some press in the local paper and I can confirm it is free, if you are invited. The first year they had host families lined up (members at the club) but it sounds like they did hotel room blocks for year 2. They settled on 33 boys and girls as a nod to the 33 cars for the Indy 500. I’ll be curious if that changes and the field expands as the tournament begins to make a name for itself. 

On 6/4/2021 at 11:33 AM, heavy_hitter said:

Just my opinion, but a girl's division should never had been added.  Either add stand alone dates, or don't do it at all.  Girls become an after thought in events like these when added (ie 24 girl field), especially in the area of course set up.

The Dixie is a great event at a horrible venue.  Not to hard to get into without an exemption.

It’s a thought worth considering. Probably a reach early in an event’s life. We had no idea what type reception we would achieve. 

On 6/4/2021 at 6:22 AM, tiger1873 said:

First off the Dixie Amateur is not something you should want to play it's played at Palm Aire in Ft Lauderdale and is basically on a course that needs to be shut down.  You also do not need an exemption to play that tournament they take anyone with a pulse.

Scott Robertson is easier to  get into then the Gator Invitational. So no reason to play a qualifier for a tournament that you most likely will get into anyways. (By the way read the social media of parents who were there. It is very informative and quite sad if what was said is true.)

The Kathy Whitworth would be good but I can tell you if you get into the tournament based on your criteria your already in the Kathy Whitworth if you want to play.

If you want to be a premier event take applications and select the best field don't list a bunch of crazy criteria and act like you are a top event when you are not.  Lots of girls in the region will apply and the event will grow if you do that.

Honestly it looks likes a great event for kids ranked 200-1000 but what I read on the application it seems like you don't want those kids.  The priority list is laughable and looks like it was created by someone who knows nothing about Junior Girl Events.  It's easier to get into the US Girls Junior or  Girls PGA Championship which is what Girls ranked as high on the criteria listed below should be playing.

Based on what I am seeing is you are going to end up getting high ranked girls who are about to drop in the rankings because they are afraid of playing or can't do well against large fields. 

https://www.ccjackson.com/files/GI_Priority-Levels_Girls.pdf  

The Girl’s criteria were set that way intentionally. Idea being, if we get enough applications that meet those criteria then we’ve sorta hit a home run. 4 of the initial 15 invitations did not meet criteria but they were the next best. So, a player can absolutely get in even if they don’t meet criteria. 

and you’re right about the exemptions for the most part—especially if the field ends up as strong as we are hoping. 

On 6/8/2021 at 4:38 PM, StudentGolfer4 said:

Are you guys familiar with the Dye Junior Invitational at Crooked Stick? It’s only in the second year and intentionally has a small field, but from what I hear it’s a first class event with a great field. 

It’s a phenomenal event run by fantastic folks at a kickass course. It’s in it for the right reasons. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Pinewood Golfer said:

The Girl’s criteria were set that way intentionally. Idea being, if we get enough applications that meet those criteria then we’ve sorta hit a home run. 4 of the initial 15 invitations did not meet criteria but they were the next best. So, a player can absolutely get in even if they don’t meet criteria. 

and you’re right about the exemptions for the most part—especially if the field ends up as strong as we are hoping. 

The fact you said it is intentional is why I am calling you out on it. It's sort delusional to say you have a tournament in one the worst states to travel to in the country and even think you can attract girls in the top 50  without any exemptions.

There are tons of top tiered events that time of year.  If you truly a decent player who can be ranked in the top 50 on JGS why travel to Jacksonville MS in August.  I know would much rather do Pinehurst, California or just about anywhere else that time of year.

If you a girl in the top 50 you should be playing in Big Amateur events that you can qualify for.  I would think they should have very little interest in this tournament unless your local to it. The girls who will play this are either very young or can't hack real competition and afraid they will drop a lot in the rankings.  I know in one case a top 10 girl has recently called out some serious issues with a top 50 girl on social media. I hope she isn't one the ones you see playing there.

I can see where this attractive as an event if you played 5 regular AJGA events and want to play a similar type event.  So I can understand if you want top 1000 or have some sort of criteria based on that.  There lots of need for an event like that for girls.  You criteria though will turn off those girls and they end up playing state amateur events going on the same time.

Edited by tiger1873
On 6/10/2021 at 12:43 PM, tiger1873 said:

The fact you said it is intentional is why I am calling you out on it. It's sort delusional to say you have a tournament in one the worst states to travel to in the country and even think you can attract girls in the top 50  without any exemptions.

There are tons of top tiered events that time of year.  If you truly a decent player who can be ranked in the top 50 on JGS why travel to Jacksonville MS in August.  I know would much rather do Pinehurst, California or just about anywhere else that time of year.

If you a girl in the top 50 you should be playing in Big Amateur events that you can qualify for.  I would think they should have very little interest in this tournament unless your local to it. The girls who will play this are either very young or can't hack real competition and afraid they will drop a lot in the rankings.  I know in one case a top 10 girl has recently called out some serious issues with a top 50 girl on social media. I hope she isn't one the ones you see playing there.

I can see where this attractive as an event if you played 5 regular AJGA events and want to play a similar type event.  So I can understand if you want top 1000 or have some sort of criteria based on that.  There lots of need for an event like that for girls.  You criteria though will turn off those girls and they end up playing state amateur events going on the same time.

You’re right. Shocked that ANY girl would choose to come play on a course in Mississippi in the worst state in the country. With no exemptions and nothing to play for. No reason for them to come there. It’s not even an AJGA event doesn’t have AJGA ranking points and can’t offer exemptions into anything other than some events they’d get into anyway. 

Hey Tiger—shoot me your daughter’s name so we can make sure to take good care of her if she ever applies. Thanks for the kind words. 

On 6/8/2021 at 5:38 PM, StudentGolfer4 said:

My buddy’s son just got back from playing in the Dye Invitational. They had a boys and girls division. He said it was the best run tournament that he has been to so far. He just raved about the whole experience for his son.

• Like 1