Driver shafts under $100-$150

Mainehacker21

I’ve been playing a hzrdus smoke black in my epic flash for a while now. I really like it but I like to tinker more and am getting the itch to try something else. Problem is I would love to buy a Ventus or another premium shaft but just can’t cough up that much money. Any suggestions for something to try that’s not going to break the bank? 

I've always been impressed w/ the Aldila ATX line and can be had in the $50-70 range.  Green if you want firmer/lower launching and blue if you want something a bit softer in the tip and a bit more launch.

• Like 3

Bag 1                                                                                          Bag 2

Ping G425 Max 9* Ventus Black 7X                                         Taylor Made 300 Mini 13.5* Rogue Silver 70TX

Taylor Made 300 Mini 13.5* Rogue Silver 70TX                      Tour Edge Exotics CBX 20* Aldila Rip Alpha 105X

Titleist TSi3 16.5* Rogue Silver 80TX                                      Ben Hogan Ft Worth Hi 26* Recoil 110X

Titleist TS3 21* Rogue Black 95TX                                          Ben Hogan Ft Worth 32*, 38*, 44*, 50* Recoil 125X

Titleist T200 5 MCI Black 100X                                                Ben Hogan TK-15 58* Recoil Wedge Proto 125X

Titleist T100S 6-AW MCI Black 100X                                       Ping Vault Anser 2

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 56* MCI Mild 125                                        

Fourteen RM-22 60* Black Onyx S400

Cameron Special Select Squareback 2

I confirm what @dmbrill719noted above about the Aldila Tour Green. 

I gamed the HZRDUS Smoke Black for a while.  The Tour Green has similar feel and launch, and it should fit your budget if you keep an eye on the 'bay for deals.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10*: LA Golf Olyss 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5*: Aldila Rogue Silver 125 70S

Titleist TSR3 19*:  LA Golf Ozik Black Tie 105S

Titleist TSi2 22*: Aldila Tour Blue 105TX

Grindworks PR-202 6-PW: Nippon Modus3 120X

Edel SMS 48*V / 60*T:  Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Grindworks Barrett 52* / 56*: Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Fastback

I second the Grafalloy blue recommendation if you're looking for high launch/high spin. I put the supercharged (counterbalanced) in my driver. Mainly because A) I felt driver wasn't performing to the best of it's abilities, and B) the club ho urge was building. Rather than buy an entirely new to me driver I decided to try out a different shaft. So far I've been liking the results.

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft

It's worth spending 150 to 200 for a used Ventus w/Velcore.  They are not cheap shafts to begin with.  I don't know if you could find a newer shaft that is the equivalent to the Ventus.  

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

2 hours ago, Roejye said:

I second the Grafalloy blue recommendation if you're looking for high launch/high spin. I put the supercharged (counterbalanced) in my driver. Mainly because A) I felt driver wasn't performing to the best of it's abilities, and B) the club ho urge was building. Rather than buy an entirely new to me driver I decided to try out a different shaft. So far I've been liking the results.

The Grafalloy blue is a low/low shaft. The supercharged is a totally different line.

• Like 1

Rogue ST Max LS (8.0), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Cobra Aerojet (13.5), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

TSi2 (18), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

U85 (22), X100

i210 (5-UW), X100

T20 (55.09, 60.06), S400

35” Daddy Long Legs

Srixon Z-Star XV

If you look hard enough, you can find older premium uncut shafts for pretty cheap.  Fujikura and Mitsubishi in particular... there's a lot of Diamana and Speeder/Evolution and Atmos on eBay around the $100-$150 mark

Aldila 2KXV products are great too for $100

Edited by mcounci2
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, b.mattay said:

The Grafalloy blue is a low/low shaft. The supercharged is a totally different line.

Thanks, I'm very new to the shaft market and got the blue and prolaunch blue confused.

• Like 1

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft

I'm a fan of the Aldila Rogue line.  The Silver is the more popular and is medium low, and the Black launches higher for those that need a little help.  You can find these shafts for great prices on ebay.  They were all the rage just a few years ago.

• Like 3

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

The Rogue Silver and Tour Green are both really good shafts, especially for the prices you can find them for on eBay brand new. I find them to be easier to swing than the Hzrdus line of shafts.  

• Like 2

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

Lots of good shafts can be had for under $100 new.  All are tour proven.  Grafalloy Prolaunch Red, and the Proforce V2 come to mind and the original Adila NV.

Edited by cgasucks

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

I am looking to upgrade to a Project X EvenFlow Black, looking at about $50 on eBay. Seems like a good option to upgrade.

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

9 hours ago, b.mattay said:

Are you talking about this ProLaunch family of shafts?

https://www.truetemper.com/grafalloy/#grouping--1

They describe blue as the high/high member of the family. It was too high for me in a 3W so I switched to Platinum and absolutely love that shaft.

I would also recommend the Evenflow line from Project X. I demo’d a driver with the Blue a few years back and really liked how smooth the powerful unload felt.

Edited by RolandofGilead
  • Like 1

D| Titleist 975D 9.5* DG S300

3W| Titleist 980F 15* DG S300

5W| Titleist 975F 18.5* DG S300

3-P| MacGregor Muirfield 20th DG X100

SW| Maltby TSW 56* DG X100

LW| Maltby TSW 60* DG S300

P| Ping Anser

Ball| Maxfli Tour S Yellow

Tried some shafts for cheap off the bay to realize I'm pretty insensitive to shaft differences (other than weight and balance point).  Older models like Matrix black/red/white ties, Aldila RIP alpha, RIP Phenom NL, 2KXV.  If you don't mind used, and can take a risk (big risk?) in unknown tipping, Globalgolf seems to have a lot of shafts for cheap experimenting.  Search or go to accessories and filter for shafts.

• Like 1

D1 Cobra LTDx, OG HZ Black 62 6.5 D2 TM R510TP, 757X 3W OG Ping Rapture, OG HZ Black 75 6.0 20°H Ping G20, CTLX 5I Cobra F9, CTLX 5I-PW Mizuno MP-54, CTLX GW Nike VPC, V120X 54, 60 CBX Zipcore, V120X Cure RX4, CX3. WITB Link. CAD Designs on IG @joostin.golf

The shaft you have with the hzrdous black is a low launch low spin. I would keep checking the secondary market. See if you can get someone to split the driver to head and shaft. eBay market is very hot right now for Ventus shafts. I would guess in a month or two many will realize the Ventus trend wasn’t for them and will look to unload. 

2 hours ago, hoffa72002 said:

An older shaft that has a ton of options and can be found for under a $100 is the UST Mamiya VTS line.  With the red, silver, and black versions you can find a feel that fits your preference.

I agree with your statement.  Had a VTS silver and black.  Preferred the black as it's a low/low shaft.  I found the red to spinny.  I found the silver to not be as stable as the black.  It would hook if my swing was off or I swung hard. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

1 hour ago, RolandofGilead said:

They describe blue as the high/high member of the family. It was too high for me in a 3W so I switched to Platinum and absolutely love that shaft.

I would also recommend the Evenflow line from Project X. I demo’d a driver with the Blue a few years back and really liked how smooth the powerful unload felt.

Agree.

As I recall, Grafalloy BLUE has always been the higher launching and spinning shaft of the Grafalloy line.

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

3 hours ago, Nessism said:

I'm a fan of the Aldila Rogue line.  The Silver is the more popular and is medium low, and the Black launches higher for those that need a little help.  You can find these shafts for great prices on ebay.  They were all the rage just a few years ago.

I would agree with this.  Rogue silver is such a good shaft.  I prefer the 70g for both 3w and driver honestly, but stable as anything out there.  I also have a 60g silver with a G400 tip on it, I don't do as well with the lighter version but it's still very good.

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

17 hours ago, Mainehacker21 said:

I’ve been playing a hzrdus smoke black in my epic flash for a while now. I really like it but I like to tinker more and am getting the itch to try something else. Problem is I would love to buy a Ventus or another premium shaft but just can’t cough up that much money. Any suggestions for something to try that’s not going to break the bank? 

Sans swing info you're only going to get very generic suggestions. And shafts can be very personal.

And we know the Black is low/low but without telling us what you've got (SS & launch-wise) and what you're looking to achieve, it's hard,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

4 years ago I got a Cally Fusion driver. Being a higher capper's driver it had a high launch and spin shaft (Diamana Redboard) as stock. But I hit it very well albeit too high and spinny. Found a Handcrafted Hzrdus Black (not Smoke) on eBay and it transformed the club. Easily picked up 10-12 yards due to reduced spin and better launch window.

2 years ago I got the Epic Flash Sub Zero. Tried all the stock shafts including the Hzrdus Black SMOKE. No dice. But the store had a couple of leftover shafts from the Rogue line in the rack and I tried them.

Hzrdus yellow (non-Handcrafted) easily worked best. Bought a head and shaft off eBay and saved almost $200 over new.

Recently my local store made me an offer a number of offers I couldn't refuse while clearing out a lot of their fitting equipment.

HC Hzrdus Yellow for $75, Graphite Design Tour AD TP for $149 (a true impulse purchase that's working very well), GD Tour AD DI for $100 (High launch low spin ?), and an EFSZ Triple Diamond w/Tensei Blue for $200.

Currently testing the 3 "new" shafts with the 2 different heads and really can't make up my mind.

The Tensei Blue is not in the running because it's a 75 weight shaft and I find that shaft a little "sluggish" with my puny 95 MPH swing speed.

Anywho, with more info comes more suggestions ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Titleist Pro V1X

3 hours ago, RolandofGilead said:

No I mean the update to the OG Grafalloy Blue. Not Prolaunch anything-that is a different series.0 Attached a pic.  

9D28A8A0-BA75-40D9-93FE-E087940954C4.jpeg

Edited by b.mattay
  • Like 1

U85 (22), X100

i210 (5-UW), X100

T20 (55.09, 60.06), S400

35” Daddy Long Legs

Srixon Z-Star XV

I’m an EBay hawk ... always looking for deals on golf equipment. Over the last year, on auction I’ve been able to snipe 3 LEGIT Tour AD’s (DI, BB and MT)... I game all 3 in rotation. 2 were uncut, and the DI was used but I just swapped the tip on to match my driver. 

All 3 shafts were bought between $100-$145 shipped. 

Ebay sniping is fun as hell! 

Just make sure the seller offers returns, because you need to check to make sure the Tour AD shafts aren’t counterfeit! 

25 minutes ago, b.mattay said:

No I mean the update to the OG Grafalloy Blue. Not Prolaunch anything-that is a differenr series.0 Attached a pic.  

9D28A8A0-BA75-40D9-93FE-E087940954C4.jpeg

That's pretty funny actually.

For whatever reason I flashed back to that exact shaft, the white one with the blue label. For some reason I thought that shaft was the exception to the Grafalloy Blue "rule".

Turns out it's not (really ?) so. https://www.golfgalaxy.com/p/grafalloy-blue-60335-graphite-wood-shaft-ss13grflyblu60g/ss13grflyblu60g

Note the chart at the bottom. Mid/Low bend plus Med/Soft tip equals mid-high launch and spin.

So maybe, @ mid/mid(?), somewhat lower than the OG but still not low/low.

Edited by nsxguy
  • Like 1

Titleist Pro V1X

2 hours ago, timmekang said:

Not sure if it’s your cup of tea but I would imagine by the latter half of this year that resale prices for Tour AD shafts may reach below the $150 price point given all the market flooding from Titleist TSi premium offerings. 

That would be evil to see them dip below 150 (150 here goes fast, 175-225 seems to be most listings). I am trying to not shaft 'ho. 

While not super new tech, the YS-6 Reloaded can be had new for 99 or less on sale. I just snagged a new X flex for an experiment 🙂

- b

59 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

That's pretty funny actually.

For whatever reason I flashed back to that exact shaft, the white one with the blue label. For some reason I thought that shaft was the exception to the Grafalloy Blue "rule".

Turns out it's not (really ?) so. https://www.golfgalaxy.com/p/grafalloy-blue-60335-graphite-wood-shaft-ss13grflyblu60g/ss13grflyblu60g

Note the chart at the bottom. Mid/Low bend plus Med/Soft tip equals mid-high launch and spin.

So maybe, @ mid/mid(?), somewhat lower than the OG but still not low/low.

They screwed up on that chart. It's definitely not. Cobra site had it rated for launch/spin in 2016 as between the ATX Tour Green and the Kuro Kage Silver TINI. I still have a couple and they are 100% a low/low profile! 

Edited by b.mattay

U85 (22), X100

i210 (5-UW), X100

T20 (55.09, 60.06), S400

35” Daddy Long Legs

Srixon Z-Star XV