Ping i210 & G425 Comparisons

AzSuperHack76

Currently playing the i210’s, love them, but admittedly I could use the extra forgiveness, although the i210’s are very forgiving. 

Just got the 425’s in and took some comparison pictures for anyone. 

The sole is obviously bigger and there is a bit more offset but really, the irons are very similar in size. The close up pictures show a bit of size difference, but in hand and at address the difference is minimal. Probably one of the best if not the best GI iron Ping has put out. Most of the old G serious irons were straight up shovels. 

Will do some side by side comparisons on the course soon, hopefully this week and will follow up then. 

C9123221-0ED8-4459-A60E-15F7B590C64B.jpeg

CBC919E8-2701-449D-8A1E-33C98F06A96E.jpeg

DE316952-6D3A-4A80-8352-A1C04B44B435.jpeg

B1C1061A-07AD-4EBC-BAE9-36B29970B3BE.jpeg

06292544-C39D-4072-AE4C-7CD48C799857.jpeg

E975CC58-D522-4F8D-895F-51493D5C24A5.jpeg

C706E194-0D3D-41E7-86AD-1A7F047AD8C1.jpeg

20F71234-E770-46AF-8292-C193D68ADDE8.jpeg

Edited by AzSuperHack76
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

19 minutes ago, demubckma said:

I love the color scheme. Waiting on my set, which is due to be delivered today! I still game G25s, and am really looking forward to trying these out ~

I went with PX LZ's, what shaft did you put in them?

Nippon Modus 105’s. I have KBS Tour 105’s in the 210’s and love that shaft as well. 

Edited by AzSuperHack76

Very cool. I hit them at PGA Superstore a few weeks backs and I knew I had to get them. They were super-forgiving, so I placed an order for these last week. I currently game the JPX 919 tours and I am really looking forward to give these a good test before putting them in the bag. 

Edited by moadhia
  • Like 1

I've hit both. G425 looks great, awesome distance and forgiving. However, it's too hot, sounds awful and feels strangely clicky.

It creeps me out just how long some of the strikes were with the G425 7-iron. That's a real problem for me, so I went with i210. I *loved* the feel of the i210s and the front-to-back dispersion was unmatched.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Strategery said:

I've hit both. G425 looks great, awesome distance and forgiving. However, it's too hot, sounds awful and feels strangely clicky.

It creeps me out just how long some of the strikes were with the G425 7-iron. That's a real problem for me, so I went with i210. I *loved* the feel of the i210s and the front-to-back dispersion was unmatched.

I was able to get out this afternoon. Zero issues with flyers or random heaters, just as good as the i210 in that aspect. I know exactly what your talking about as I had the Apex 16’s that would fly the green from time to time. Easily a full club longer than the 210’s which are power spec for me. I have the 425’s in standard loft. Zero issues stoping the ball, nice high ball flight with lots of check. No issues flighting the ball down and stopping those as well. 

Feel and sound wise they are great when you middle them. Obviously not as good as the 210’s, to me the 210’s are one of the better feeling cast irons out there. Sound wise when I was out towards the toe they were loud and felt a bit rough for sure. But they shined on those mishits and didn’t lose much at all distance wise. They defiantly stayed more online on mishits as well. Hit few stinkers and was really surprised how well they did. 

Now actually addressing the ball I didn’t notice the cavities of the club at all until I got to the 6 iron. I slightly noticed in on the 6. On the 5 and 4 it is pretty pronounced. 

For a first round I really enjoyed them. They performed better than expected on mishits. I think there is give and take in regards to feel and forgiveness, and as always it’s up to the individual on which is more beneficial. I’m sort of a in betweener in terms of irons. I prefer the look and feel of a players set but at times really need the forgiveness of a GI. I think Ping really has a good mix between the 2 with the 425. 

The ZX5’s are on my radar as well. If I can get the forged goodness(feel/looks) and some of the forgiveness of a GI iron that may be a winner. 

• Like 4

I forgot to add the g425 Max 3 wood is a rocket launcher. So easy to hit. I was ballooning it a bit at the 14.5 setting with the Alta Slate CB shaft. Turned it down to 13.5 and was crushing it. Even at the lower loft zero issues getting it off the ground, just a stupid fun club to hit and it flies forever. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, moadhia said:

Very cool. I hit them at PGA Superstore a few weeks backs and I knew I had to get them. They were super-forgiving, so I placed an order for these last week. I currently game the JPX 919 tours and I am really looking forward to give these a good test before putting them in the bag. 

Seems a strange change from 919 tour to G425? Two completely different clubs? Any particular reason? 

13 hours ago, AzSuperHack76 said:

I was able to get out this afternoon. Zero issues with flyers or random heaters, just as good as the i210 in that aspect. I know exactly what your talking about as I had the Apex 16’s that would fly the green from time to time. Easily a full club longer than the 210’s which are power spec for me. I have the 425’s in standard loft. Zero issues stoping the ball, nice high ball flight with lots of check. No issues flighting the ball down and stopping those as well. 

Feel and sound wise they are great when you middle them. Obviously not as good as the 210’s, to me the 210’s are one of the better feeling cast irons out there. Sound wise when I was out towards the toe they were loud and felt a bit rough for sure. But they shined on those mishits and didn’t lose much at all distance wise. They defiantly stayed more online on mishits as well. Hit few stinkers and was really surprised how well they did. 

Now actually addressing the ball I didn’t notice the cavities of the club at all until I got to the 6 iron. I slightly noticed in on the 6. On the 5 and 4 it is pretty pronounced. 

For a first round I really enjoyed them. They performed better than expected on mishits. I think there is give and take in regards to feel and forgiveness, and as always it’s up to the individual on which is more beneficial. I’m sort of a in betweener in terms of irons. I prefer the look and feel of a players set but at times really need the forgiveness of a GI. I think Ping really has a good mix between the 2 with the 425. 

The ZX5’s are on my radar as well. If I can get the forged goodness(feel/looks) and some of the forgiveness of a GI iron that may be a winner. 

I keep coming back to a split set of ZX5's and ZX7's.  Still trying to determine where I will split them.  I am very similar, I prefer a more compact head heel to toe, but everyone can use a little more forgiveness every once in awhile.  I am playing the i210 and have a G410 4 iron currently.  Looking at a X utility in the 4.  ZX5 will be 5,6 for sure.   ZX7 will be 8, 9, PW for sure.  My undecided club is the 7 iron.  I can bend the irons for loft once I get them, so getting the distances dialed in isn't an issue either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Driver - Callaway Epic Max LS on Ventus Purple
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade SIM2 Titanium - testing shafts
  • 7 Wood - Company that shall not be named, turned down 1* and open on a UST Mamaiya Black
  • Hybrid - Cobra King Tec 17* 
  • Util - Srixon ZXU 18* on Recoil 110
  • Irons - Srixon ZX5 4&5 iron on Recoil 110
  • Irons - Srixon ZX7 (6-9) on Recoil 110
  • Wedges - Clevelland 46* Zipcore, Cleveland 50* mid Zipcore, Cleveland 54* mid Zipcore, Cleveland Zipcore 60* Mid all on Recoil 110
  • Putters -  Sunset Beach Ocracoke or Mannkrafted MA/66 on UST Frequency Filtered with SS Counter Core
  • Ball - Srixon Z Star XV auditioning Snell and Vice Pro Plus this offseason.

15 minutes ago, driveandputtmachine said:

I keep coming back to a split set of ZX5's and ZX7's.  Still trying to determine where I will split them.  I am very similar, I prefer a more compact head heel to toe, but everyone can use a little more forgiveness every once in awhile.  I am playing the i210 and have a G410 4 iron currently.  Looking at a X utility in the 4.  ZX5 will be 5,6 for sure.   ZX7 will be 8, 9, PW for sure.  My undecided club is the 7 iron.  I can bend the irons for loft once I get them, so getting the distances dialed in isn't an issue either.

Edited by AzSuperHack76

1 hour ago, Whited107x said:

Seems a strange change from 919 tour to G425? Two completely different clubs? Any particular reason? 

Life has gotten busy with work and kids so I dont get much time to practice. The 919 Tours are punishing if you dont strike it out of the middle. I wanted to give ping clubs a try as they are typically the most forgiving clubs from MOI perspective (almost 2x of what 919 Tours are). I hit the 7 iron at PGA SuperStore (on a GCHawk) and tried my best to hit shots all over the face. I was very impressed with ball speed and carry distance retention, especially off toe shots which is my miss. In the past I have stayed off GI clubs because they look chunky and  sound very clicky. I found the G425 irons to look player-esque and the sound was 'acceptable'. I got them in power lofts to reduce the bounce of the clubs a little bit.  

Edited by moadhia
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, moadhia said:

Life has gotten busy with work and kids so I dont get much time to practice. The 919 Tours are punishing if you dont strike it out of the middle. I wanted to give ping clubs a try as they are typically the most forgiving clubs from MOI perspective (almost 2x of what 919 Tours are). I hit the 7 iron at PGA SuperStore (on a GCHawk) and tried my best to hit shots all over the face. I was very impressed with ball speed and carry distance retention, especially off toe shots which is my miss. In the past I have stayed off GI clubs because they look chunky and  sound very clicky. I found the G425 irons to look player-esque and the sound was 'acceptable'. I got them in power lofts to reduce the bounce of the clubs a little bit.  

Fair enough, personally having played both ping i210 and 919 tour, I think you would be much better suited in the i210 than the g425. I210 have all the forgiveness plus have excellent feel which you will miss with the g425. 

• Like 1

I've been playing 919 Hot metal pros for the past 18 months with Recoil 95 F4 shafts. Absolutely fly off the face when struck in the middle, but I have found the drop off in distance is extreme if you miss the middle of the club. I can hit a 7 iron and not know from the strike if the ball is going 175 yards or 145 yards. It's been pretty frustrating. My previous G25's never flew as far and I seem to remember gave me good feedback. My G425's arrived today (Alta stock stiff seem so smooth) - I'm hoping for consistency in distance for on and off center hits. Mind you, I am one who can shoot +9 on the front and -2 on the back 😞

• Like 3

On 2/8/2021 at 10:42 AM, AzSuperHack76 said:

Most of the old G serious (series?) irons were straight up shovels. 

Please define shovel.

By your shovel remark, are you trying to claim "cool guy" points because you play i-series irons? Spare us the silliness, and play what works. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, set 9.5°; weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

37 minutes ago, ChipNRun said:

Please define shovel.

By your shovel remark, are you trying to claim "cool guy" points because you play i-series irons? Spare us the silliness, and play what works. 

Oh boy, thanks for fixing my autocorrected spelling mistake, not sure what I would have done otherwise. 

Claiming "cool guy" points, this is a new one for me, good ol WRX.

Did you actually take time to read through the thread and pick the one "negative/opinionated" comment I had? I felt that I was pretty dang positive in comparing and reviewing the 425 in comparison to the 210. 

My definition of a shovel in reference to a golf club would be the following. A big chunky iron with a fat bottom and a thick topline, which the g425 is not. Previous G irons in my eyes were big clunky irons. Again, I am super excited about this club and the fact that it is Pings best looking GI iron to date. 

I'm a huge Ping guy, just never a fan of the previous G series looks.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, AzSuperHack76 said:

Oh boy, thanks for fixing my autocorrected spelling mistake, not sure what I would have done otherwise. 

Claiming "cool guy" points, this is a new one for me, good ol WRX.

Did you actually take time to read through the thread and pick the one "negative/opinionated" comment I had? I felt that I was pretty dang positive in comparing and reviewing the 425 in comparison to the 210. 

My definition of a shovel in reference to a golf club would be the following. A big chunky iron with a fat bottom and a thick topline, which the g425 is not. Previous G irons in my eyes were big clunky irons. Again, I am super excited about this club and the fact that it is Pings best looking GI iron to date. 

I'm a huge Ping guy, just never a fan of the previous G series looks.  

Wasn't the G410 already pretty sleek compared to the previous G?

9 minutes ago, AzSuperHack76 said:

Yes they were, much improved. 

If the 425s are working for you, that’s awesome.  They’re a great looking club.  Me personally, I had a devil of a time with my G410s and found the i210 to suit my game much better.  The turf interaction for me is much better with i210 and they fly much more consistently than the jacked-up G410s did.

• Like 3

Titleist TS2 D (10.5*) KuroKage Black DC 50 S

Titleist TS2 F (16.5*) KuroKage Black DC 55 R

Titleist TS2 H (21.0*) Tensei CK Pro Red 60 R

PING G410 Crossover (23.0*) Alta CB 70 Red R
PING i210 5-PW Blue Dot Dynamic Gold 105 R

Cleveland CBX-2 (50, 54, 58) Dynamic Gold 115 WF
Scotty Cameron OTR Squareback 2

2 hours ago, stormin70 said:

If the 425s are working for you, that’s awesome.  They’re a great looking club.  Me personally, I had a devil of a time with my G410s and found the i210 to suit my game much better.  The turf interaction for me is much better with i210 and they fly much more consistently than the jacked-up G410s did.

Ditto.  Had the G410’s as well but did not like the turf interaction. Went to the i210’s and not even looking at new irons. They’re that good. 

• Like 4

DRIVER - PING G425 MAX

FAIRWAY WOODS - PING G425 MAX 5W

IRONS - PING i210 3-UW

WEDGES - PING GLIDE 3.0 54 & 58

PUTTER - SCOTTY CAMERON SPECIAL SELECT NEWPORT 2

18 hours ago, driveandputtmachine said:

I keep coming back to a split set of ZX5's and ZX7's.  ZX5 will be 5,6 for sure. ZX7 will be 8, 9, PW for sure.  My undecided club is the 7 iron.

This is exactly where I'm at. Can't wait to hit both and hopefully decide the right club to split the set. The lofts of these 5, 6, 7 are really 4, 5, 6 in the old lofts (24, 27, 31)  I'm used to so splitting at the 7/8 makes sense but everyone raves about the forgiveness of the 7s so it makes it a tough call deciding. 

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX 2 50°/10°, RTX 2 54°/12, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

I made the same decision as the original poster. I played i200 for last few years. Great clubs, but my iron striking is not the best part of my game. So while they sounded and looked great I am missing way more greens than I would like. Typically short because I could not get the distance I need. Saw the g425 and they look very close to my existing set and had the GI gains I need for my iron play. The g425 are louder and not as soft feeling but they are more forgiving and launch higher and go further. Not sure if it is a weight difference or shaft change (AWT to KBS), but I can feel the head much better on g425. So far only range session and fitting bay, but I like the gains I got enough to overlook the nice things I will miss with i200. These were the first G series irons that gave me the look of more of a players irons for me to make me make the move.

• Like 3

I went to a PING demo day yesterday, and tried G425 irons, i210 and i500.

I am currently playing i20, and like others here I want some more forgiveness.

G425 were (as expected) very straight. Definitely more so than i210. (i500 were not to my taste.)

G425 were also longer, but not overly. They went 1 club longer, but with 3 degrees stronger loft they should. I had expected more, actually.

The biggest surprise was that the spin and landing angle were really good with the G425. Equal to the i210 although 3 degrees stronger.

So the G425 won hands down on performance. For looks and feel, i210 won, but if I'm going for PING this year it will be G425.

(But I will try Mizuno too, maybe Srixon.)

Also surprising was the estimated delivery time. They could not promise anything, but they said that from order to shipping would be a matter of a few days! But the shipping time was unsure in COVID times...

Stock shaft (Alta CB graphite).

Edited by barnum1
  • Like 3

Ping G400 SFT 10°

Ping G400 SFT 3W 16° set to 15°

Ping G400 SFT 5W 19° set to 18°

Ping G400 SFT 7W 22° set to 21°

Ping G425 6-UW

Ping Glide Forged 54°

Ping Gorge Tour 56°

Ping Glide 3.0 58°

Scotty Cameron GOLO 5R

15 hours ago, jbandalo said:

Ditto.  Had the G410’s as well but did not like the turf interaction. Went to the i210’s and not even looking at new irons. They’re that good. 

This spring will be my 3rd season with the i210s.  I like them so much that I bought a set of i200s for a practice/backup bag.  I have no desire to look at other irons anymore.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I got a second round in with the 425's yesterday by themselves as opposed to the back an forth with the 210 last round. 

I was struggling a little bit to find my swing at the start of the round. Everything was pretty harsh feeling and had that loud "thwack" due to not hitting the center of the face. But, holy crap they perform amazingly on those not centered, opposed to being 10 yards right and 10 yards short with the i210 with my particular mishit, it was just 10 yards right. I didn't notice much in terms of distance drop off. 

Once I got my my crap together after 9 holes or so, and started swinging free the 425's were point and shoot, insanely accurate and distance control was spot on. Once I began hitting the center of the face the feel and sound was great, no issues what so ever. 

Edited by AzSuperHack76
  • Like 3

On 2/9/2021 at 6:41 PM, stormin70 said:

Curious why turf interaction matters if you're supposed to hit the ball before the ground.  Is it in the case of slight fat shots?

4 minutes ago, TTRacer said:

Curious why turf interaction matters if you're supposed to hit the ball before the ground.  Is it in the case of slight fat shots?

Yes, my ball striking is not as clean as it could be and my swing path is steep.  I just really struggled with the G410s.  With the i210, my end results are much better and I get a nice high ball flight.