2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Simulator to the Course

Elee913

Wondering what folks think about translating what happens in the simulator to the actual course.  I've been doing a lot on the sims this year, combination of practice sessions to check club/ball data to help me reduce my inside/out path, confirming yardages, and just getting inside given how cold it is.  I've also played a lot of rounds on the E6 system.  I've shot a few rounds now under 80, which I have yet to do on the course.  I'm a 11-12 handicap, who has historically struggled off the tee.  But I've really improved my driving and iron play this offseason, which I think seems to be well represented on the launch monitors.  I do have putting set to 10 foot gimmes, mostly because I find wasting the extra time on putting doesn't make sense and isn't transferrable to the course.

But wondering if those types of scores translate onto the course.  Or is there a rule of thumb that says you might want to add __ strokes vs. what you might see on the simulator?  I recognize that lies off the fairway are not close to real life.  But I do think chipping and putting is much harder on the sim.

I'm just the opposite.  Play to a 6-7 outdoors and closer to 15 on the sim.  Nothing about the 2-dimensional visual translates to me.  

Driver: Cobra LTDxLS @ 9º (8.25º) w/ Fujikura Speeder TR 661s

Fairway: Callaway Mavrik 4W @ 16º w/ ProjectX Evenflow Black 70s

Hybrid: Sub70 939x 4H @ 21º w/ ProjectX Black Hybrid 6.0

Irons: Artisan HC 4/5 w/ Steelfiber i95cw Stiff; 6-PW w/ Steelfiber i110cw Stiff

Wedges: Artisan Raw 51º, 56º, 61º w/ Modus 120s (to  be re-shafted with Steelfibers to match irons)

Putter: Artisan 0318 Deep Milled

At least for a better player, when you get the hang of it then it's way easier than actually playing. I guess this also depends on the simulator and software.

I've been playing a ton in the offseason with a GC2, both on GSPro and the FR1 or whatever the old but good foresight software is. The scores are absolutely ridiculous when I'm hitting decent approaches, lowest rounds are a couple 55`s. Usually a bit over 60 when nothing strange happens. No need to mention these scores are a "little" better than in my real tournaments... 

I’m usually 4/5 shots in a sim. I’m usually a club short with irons and 10/15 yards longer with the driver. I’ve played in a league the last 2 winters. It’s a fun way to keep playing in the winter.

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

The even lies all across the entire course are definitely much, much easier. Especially things like fairway bunkers and deep rough (thinking the gorse on the Plantation Course). But I also find the putting and chipping to be really difficult.  I’m not the best putter in the world, but I have no chance of making a putt outside 10 feet....there are no lip ins on E6.  But it probably doesn’t balance out, so I would guess it’s easier than real life.

I was interested in this as well as I’ve played and hit a lot on my QC quad Sim.  It warmed up to 58 here last week and shot a 72 with terrible putting.  It’s really helping me trust the swing really.  

Stealth 2 9* w/Ventus TR Blue
SIM 3 wood w/Ventus TR Blue
SIM UDI

P790 4 iron 
P770 5-PW
Hi Toe 3 50/54/58
SC Phantom 11.5
TP5X 

• 2 weeks later...

I've wondered this too. I'm hitting balls into a net or a screen off a tee or a synthetic plastic grass mat. Perfect level lie, no wind, perfect lighting with no shadows... It's called a simulator for a reason. It simulates what should happen when you hit the ball based on the parameters of the machine. That to me does not translate into reality on a real golf course with all of the real variables out there. What the simulator does do for me is make me fixate more on the strike vs the end result because the net/screen is so close. That takes out all the depth and space between the ball and the target which will affect the strike outdoors for me much more. So I guess that's the good thing for me about simulator practice. 

The indoor/sim practice is good for muscle memory and swing keys, but nothing about hitting off of a mat can replicate ball contact on grass (and most definitely bunker play, rough, and goofy lies that we all find ourselves in when actually playing).  Ball striking in general may transfer from indoors to outdoors playing from the fairway and tees, but "scoring" on the simulator and hitting shots around the greens (and putting) don't transfer well.

I have found myself playing more "simulator swing" and striving for numbers when on my LM rather than focusing on solid contact and swing mechanics.  Not sure which is better/worse, but nothing can replicate actual golf conditions regardless of the setup.  

It is nice to be able to hit balls during the winter, though...  

TSR3 10*/AD-DI 6x
TSR2 15*/AD-DI 7x
TS2 19*/AD-IZ 85x

T200 4/AD-IZ 95x

T100 5-9/PX LZ
SM9 46F, 50F, 54S, 60M/PX LZ

SC NP2 Tour CT Custom

Pro V1x

• 2 weeks later...

As you've alluded to, it all depends.  I play skytrak and TGC2019 set to green is gimmie +1, inside of 6 feet is gimmie.  I think I'd shoot better than in real life with this set up, expect due to ceiling height, I don't play a club longer than hybrid in the sim.  So I try to play 6000-6500 distance courses, which work out pretty well for a 200 carry hybrid tee shot.  Using this set up, I still probably shoot about 5 under my realistic real life score under ideal course conditions.  But like people said, if I'm playing a harder course with deep bunkers, deep rough, all bets are off.  I almost never play with wind in the simulator either...

Skytrak keeps your handicap.  I think my dad is a real 9, skytrak +1, I'm a 15, 10 on skytrak.

Edited by bonvivantva

16 hours ago, bonvivantva said:

As you've alluded to, it all depends.  I play skytrak and TGC2019 set to green is gimmie +1, inside of 6 feet is gimmie.  I think I'd shoot better than in real life with this set up, expect due to ceiling height, I don't play a club longer than hybrid in the sim.  So I try to play 6000-6500 distance courses, which work out pretty well for a 200 carry hybrid tee shot.  Using this set up, I still probably shoot about 5 under my realistic real life score under ideal course conditions.  But like people said, if I'm playing a harder course with deep bunkers, deep rough, all bets are off.  I almost never play with wind in the simulator either...

Skytrak keeps your handicap.  I think my dad is a real 9, skytrak +1, I'm a 15, 10 on skytrak.

Thanks for that.  We've been struggling to figure out how to set the Gimmes.  Are you using the ON GREEN setting?  Sounds like that means if you hit the green, it's an auto 2 putt, but if you are within 6 feet it's an auto 1 putt?

We were trying to play around with the DISTANCE setting, hoping to make it an auto 2 putt within 24 feet and an auto 1 putt within 10 feet, but not quite sure that's working.  It's not clear if that works just on the green, or even if you are chipping from just off the green.  But that seems a little more realistic to us (although having tried to putt on Augusta, not quite sure anything is a gimme at any distance).

1 minute ago, Elee913 said:

Thanks for that.  We've been struggling to figure out how to set the Gimmes.  Are you using the ON GREEN setting?  Sounds like that means if you hit the green, it's an auto 2 putt, but if you are within 6 feet it's an auto 1 putt?

Yes, the above is correct.  Obviously this is subjective, but I think this is the most fun and efficient way to play.  It is also more conducive to practicing playing smart.  Set up as above, you're rewarded for aiming for the middle of the green on approach shots.  I rarely go directly at the pin, and even if I do, it's unlikely that I'll end up within 6 feet due to my skill level.  The 6 feet setting is mostly for chipping.  Inside of 20 yards I have a decent chance of saving a stroke.  Beyond that I usually just worry about staying on the green.  So what I end up practicing is holding the green on approach shots and pitches beyond 20 yards, and I also practice precision chipping inside of 20 yards.  I don't practice putting at all because I don't think there is much fun or value to putting on a skytrak, but to each their own.

I’m about a 5 handicap in real life and better than scratch on the simulator even without hitting driver. What’s weird is my irons stop better in real life and my draw becomes a hook in TGC, but the perfect lies make it point and shoot. 

Srixon ZX5 9* driver: Tensei CK Pro Blue
Ping G410 2h, 3h, 4h: Tensei CK Pro Blue
Srixon ZX7 5-PW: Recoil 95 (HS + lead tape)
Titleist Vokey SM7 50, 54, 58: Recoil 110
Rife Cayman (+tungsten powder)
Srixon Z-Star Diamond

I’ll add something to this, as I have been playing on a SIM all winter and just got back from a trip to play for a few days. The SIM definitely doesn’t replace hitting outside but can be good to groove your swing. Not sure if it has improved my game in any meaningful way other then feeling what my tempo should be on short shots. If anything, I swing way harder in a sim than real life and was typically 1/2 club shorter outside. This is coming from hitting on a GC Quad too. Jury is still Out for me personally on whether it helps my game. Going to definitely lay off it as the weather warms up though. Fun but not sure. 

• 1 month later...

Well, a few rounds into the season now.  I can definitely see that certain things I've been doing on the SIM have translated over well.  I spent a lot of time on my driver indoors, and that has translated very well outdoors.  And I've been working on half wedge shots that also have done well, as well as fairway woods.  

That said, I've had to adjust to playing in different lies, particularly the softer conditions here in the northeast.  And chipping (which was always a strength) is very different outside.  

So I have to say my scores outside are not even close to the sim.  That said, I really did enjoy playing indoors over the winter.  I would have to imagine my swing would be much more rusty this time of year without it, and it is still fun to play a course inside in 45 minutes. 

• Like 1

Nothing beats being able to beat 50  8irons and 50  9irons at 9pm in my garage before heading out the next day.

Also being able to see your swing speed for instant feedback. Really able to see the difference between 90% and 100%.  Being able to make adjustments and see the data in real time.

And it is FUN!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Cause of Covid I've played almost every day using Skytrak and e6 Connect. Result now that I'm back on the course? I'd toyed around with so many swing changes in the sim...going flat, more upright, opening the club face more on the way back...on an on. Crazy huh? The result is I'm just now sorting things out.

Love being able to walk across the patio to the ole studio and play a quick 9. Scores are much better than IRL. Way more relaxed, I have the entire course to myself. No one behind trying to play through because of a slow group in front of me. If I want to stop and practice in the middle of the fairway, I can.

• 6 months later...
On 11/16/2021 at 8:57 AM, DallasDan said:

I am down to a +8 on The Golf Club 2019. My actual handicap is 8.5. Weird but I EXPECT to shot in the low 70's on the simulator but only go sub 80 every 1 out of 20 rounds in real life. 

Any advice on how to carry over would be invaluable!

Putting. It’s  probably all chipping and putting related.