Wilson you've lost me

6 minutes ago, golfortennis said:

Curious as to why you say that.

Just my believes in the company as a whole. I don't think they produce quality golf clubs for the most part. Sure they have had some good iron releases in the past but overall I just don't see the innovation or performance for any of their stuff. Just my opinion of course. 

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I really wanted to go with the new Staff CB irons after trying the demo and even placed an order. But I was left dumbfounded when the shop called back 3 days later to say Wilson won't bring the left h

Look I know we get sidetracked with tossing barbs back and forth here (I'm 100% guilty of that) but the reality of the situation is there are people in here talking about their experiences with gaming

In my uneducated view - it should be easier not harder to make lefty offerings in our modern times - by every brand.   Bigger problem may be Mfg stuck with dead inventory  - but in that case

Posted Images

43 minutes ago, golfortennis said:

Curious as to why you say that.

Bigger company can usually stand behind their product more and if there is an issue, turnaround (relative to covid) would be much quicker.

What's In The Ping Moonlite:
Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

1 hour ago, ASN21 said:

Just my believes in the company as a whole. I don't think they produce quality golf clubs for the most part. Sure they have had some good iron releases in the past but overall I just don't see the innovation or performance for any of their stuff. Just my opinion of course. 

Ok, thought you may have had some experiences with them.  The Staff Model blade is on my radar for my next set of irons.  If there was something I needed to know I want to know it!!  🤑

49 minutes ago, golfortennis said:

Ok, thought you may have had some experiences with them.  The Staff Model blade is on my radar for my next set of irons.  If there was something I needed to know I want to know it!!  🤑

I have not owned any Wilson clubs before but I will say their irons are their strongest clubs. There was a 20% off coupon in the deal or no deal section. Don’t know if it’s still valid. 

Just order a set from somewhere here ( discount dans etc ) and have them ship 2/3 day overnight to you.  Might add $100-200 in shipping.  But you can get them and fast. Airplanes traveling from the states to Australia every day.  

Mavrik triple diamond 10.5* Diamana TB 70TX 

TM 300 mini 13.5 Tensie CK Blue 80 TX  

TM Sim tour 19*  Aldila rogue proto 95TX  

Titleist T100 4-pw MMT 125TX 

Vokey sm7 50 54 58 MCI 125 mild  

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

20 hours ago, ASN21 said:

I have not owned any Wilson clubs before but I will say their irons are their strongest clubs. There was a 20% off coupon in the deal or no deal section. Don’t know if it’s still valid. 

Discount code is still valid . . .

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS @ 9º w/ Tensei Pro White 1K 50x

Fairway: Callaway Epic Max 3W @ 15º w/ MMT 70s

Fairway: Callaway Epic Max Heavenwood @ 20º w/ MMT 80s

Irons: Callaway Apex TCB 4-A w/ Catalyst 100 6.0

Wedges: Callaway JAWS Forged 56º/60º w/ True Temper S200

Putter: Artisan 0318 Deep Milled

On 2/9/2021 at 8:33 AM, driveandputtmachine said:

That's the rub.   Wilson makes a left handed CB, it is just not being sold in Australia for whatever reason.

Why go to the huge cost of actually making a left handed die for these clubs, eat up time on the floor of the manufacturer, pay for new finishing dies and all of the costs and not make them available everywhere?

Left handed clubs are a loss leader for every major brand.  They lose more money making left handed clubs than they do anything else, when that is the case you should want to get them to as wide of an audience as possible.  Not saying they always lose money on every left handed club, but there is a reason why the bargain bin every year is filled with left handed clubs, the manufacturer eats most of those losses through rebates to the retailer, and considering the average profit for  clubs is in the 33-40% area, when they are on sale at the end of the season for half or more off.  Granted you spread out the R&D and advertising costs across left and righties, and if you have the righty eat all of those costs then sure maybe the manufacturer breaks even on clubs sold at 60% off.  Remember the forging die or mold (casting) used to make the left handed clubs costs the same as the right handed version.   The return on investment is just lower.

🧐

I’m not sure where you’re seeing those LH clubs at 60% off my friend, but please  let me and the other southpaws know where it’s a thing....

Cobra Speedzone Extreme 10.5* 

Taylormade M6 15* & 18*

Callaway Super Hybrid 20*

Callaway Rogue X 5-AW

Titleist Vokey SM7 52F & 58M

YES! Tracy

Sun Mountain 2.5+

On 2/9/2021 at 8:45 AM, leftylama said:

I really wanted to go with the new Staff CB irons after trying the demo and even placed an order. But I was left dumbfounded when the shop called back 3 days later to say Wilson won't bring the left handed model to Australia.

So Wilson will never get my money in the future and I'll stay loyal to brands that actually look after the lefties.

Obviously not enough left handed golfers buying Wilson clubs in Oz.

On 2/10/2021 at 11:14 PM, bladehunter said:

Just order a set from somewhere here ( discount dans etc ) and have them ship 2/3 day overnight to you.  Might add $100-200 in shipping.  But you can get them and fast. Airplanes traveling from the states to Australia every day.  

The problem is I have a $500 gift card for the store , so importing from the states is not an option.

• Thanks 1
On 2/9/2021 at 2:33 PM, driveandputtmachine said:

That's the rub.   Wilson makes a left handed CB, it is just not being sold in Australia for whatever reason.

Why go to the huge cost of actually making a left handed die for these clubs, eat up time on the floor of the manufacturer, pay for new finishing dies and all of the costs and not make them available everywhere?

Why go to the huge cost of paying for paperwork, shipping (to Australia), warehousing, shipping (within Australia), etc. when all that effort will not make you a profit, or even let you break even on the clubs?

15 minutes ago, john myrbch said:

🧐

I’m not sure where you’re seeing those LH clubs at 60% off my friend, but please  let me and the other southpaws know where it’s a thing....

Every year at the Roswell and Kennesaw PGA Tour Superstore locations outside of Atlanta.  This year it is lesser with golf being one of the few things that can easily be Covid safe.  Last year there were two huge rows in December through January with a pile of left handed items the were marked down 60% or so because the new items were out.

• Driver - Callaway Epic Max LS on Ventus Purple
  • 4 Wood - Company that shall not be named, turned down 1* and open on a UST Mamaiya Black
  • 7 Wood - Company that shall not be named, turned down 1* and open on a UST Mamaiya Black
  • Hybrid - Ping G400 17*
  • Util - Srixon ZXU 18* on Recoil 110
  • Irons - Srixon ZX4 4 iron on Recoil 110
  • Irons - Srixon ZX5 5 iron on Recoil 110
  • Irons - Srixon ZX7 (6-PW) on Recoil 110
  • Wedges - Cleveland 50* mid Zipcore, Callaway MD5 54*, Cleveland Zipcore 60* Mid all on Recoil 110
  • Putters -  Sunset Beach Ocracoke or Mannkrafted MA/66 (Testing Odyssey V Line Tank @ 39" with split hands)
  • Ball - TP5 or Srixon Z Star 
16 minutes ago, Guy In Lyon said:

Why go to the huge cost of paying for paperwork, shipping (to Australia), warehousing, shipping (within Australia), etc. when all that effort will not make you a profit, or even let you break even on the clubs?

No doubt there are less golfers in Australia total than in the US.  Since I am not in shipping logistics I cannot comment on many of those questions, but imagine shipping to Australia is much cheaper than to the US since Australia is so much closer to the manufacturing facility, but amounts you are shipping could play into that along with a pile of other things I am not aware of.

Asking the question though makes me think someone at Wilson did a cost analysis of getting left handed clubs in Australia and they decided it wasn't worth it.  Where as getting them into Canada where there are a lot more left handed golfers per capita than most countries absolutely makes sense.

Edited by driveandputtmachine
  • Like 1
  • 4 Wood - Company that shall not be named, turned down 1* and open on a UST Mamaiya Black
  • 7 Wood - Company that shall not be named, turned down 1* and open on a UST Mamaiya Black
  • Hybrid - Ping G400 17*
  • Wedges - Cleveland 50* mid Zipcore, Callaway MD5 54*, Cleveland Zipcore 60* Mid all on Recoil 110
  • Putters -  Sunset Beach Ocracoke or Mannkrafted MA/66 (Testing Odyssey V Line Tank @ 39" with split hands)
9 hours ago, driveandputtmachine said:

Every year at the Roswell and Kennesaw PGA Tour Superstore locations outside of Atlanta.  This year it is lesser with golf being one of the few things that can easily be Covid safe.  Last year there were two huge rows in December through January with a pile of left handed items the were marked down 60% or so because the new items were out.

I have 2 PGASS’s within 10 miles of me on Hwy 17 in Myrtle Beach.

ive lived here for 10 years and I’m in those stores all the time. You couldn’t be more wrong. 

Not only do they carry a limited supply of NEW LH clubs, they have never, ever had anywhere close to 25% of the amount of RH clearance clubs.

I'm not looking to argue, but I’m lefty. I think I know more about this than you do. Sorry

Edited by john myrbch
  • Like 2

Cobra Speedzone Extreme 10.5* 

Taylormade M6 15* & 18*

Callaway Super Hybrid 20*

Callaway Rogue X 5-AW

Titleist Vokey SM7 52F & 58M

YES! Tracy

Sun Mountain 2.5+

2 hours ago, john myrbch said:

ive lived here for 10 years and I’m in those stores all the time. You couldn’t be more wrong. 

Not only do they carry a limited supply of NEW LH clubs, they have never, ever had anywhere close to 25% of the amount of RH clearance clubs.

I'm not looking to argue, but I’m lefty. I think I know more about this than you do. Sorry

Agree totally, never much LH used stuff around here

12 hours ago, Guy In Lyon said:

Obviously not enough left handed golfers buying Wilson clubs in Oz.

But the issue needs to be considered in a broader context. Whilst I'm a leftie , there are a ton of RH playing partners that would of heard some positive feedback from me about them . So in essence , there is a loss of potential RH sales as well.

3 hours ago, leftylama said:

But the issue needs to be considered in a broader context. Whilst I'm a leftie , there are a ton of RH playing partners that would of heard some positive feedback from me about them . So in essence , there is a loss of potential RH sales as well.

They did consider it in a broader context and decided it wasn't worth it.  

W/S Cortex 10.5* - Fuji Pro/S
W/S C300 13.5* - Fuji Pro/S
Callaway Apex Pro 20*/23* - MMT 80hy/S
W/S Staff Model MB 5-P  DGS300
W/S Staff Model 52/56/60 - DGS300
Stroke Lab Seven

On 2/9/2021 at 3:38 PM, tets said:

Wilson makes golf clubs?

Yes, most Major wins of any manufacturer. 

Ping G410  10.5 Project X Evenflow 5.5

Ping G425 5 wood
Callaway Apex 21 , #4 Hybrid

Callaway Apex #5 Hybrid

Titleist 714AP2, 5-GW
Ping Glide
 58*ES

Bettinardi Queen B 6

On 2/9/2021 at 6:11 PM, ASN21 said:

You've never played or owned any Wilson clubs but you're of the opinion they're no good? Thanks for the input.🤨😆

Ping G425 5 wood

Callaway Apex #5 Hybrid

Titleist 714AP2, 5-GW
Ping Glide
 58*ES

Bettinardi Queen B 6

7 hours ago, john myrbch said:

Sorry, I could be wrong, but I'm not.  I check every year in December and January looking for good deals on clubs I didn't try because that time of year all of the new clubs are coming out and the previous models get hugely discounted.

If I had not seem them myself I would give your view more credence, but Myrtle being a heavily traveled golf destination and Atlanta not being a heavily traveled golf destination the amount of equipment sold is different as are the people buying it.

Also, I lived in Ocean Isle from 2004-2010 and frequented the North Myrtle store all the time and still do when visiting.  My swing coach (Hugh Royer III)is still in Myrtle as is my former club builder AL Cloyd who I learned from, and my parents live in the Ocean Isle area now as well.  So I visit the North Myrtle store every year in and around Christmas time, and yeah it is not the same as Atlanta.  The North Myrtle store (I rarely visited the Myrtle location) was very different than anything I have seen in the Atlanta area.

• Hybrid - Ping G400 17*
9 hours ago, john myrbch said:

Sorta off topic--- I guess you know we have a new Golf Galaxy in Dirty Myrtle now?----- I believe it is in the old Golfsmith store at Coastal Grande Mall. I have not been there yet. I live on the South end and do not go up there that much

Driver--- TM M-6 Evenflow 65gm R set to 9.5

3W  TM V-Steel 15* bent to 14 NVS green Aldila 65gr R

7W TM V-steel 21* Ust Pro Force Gold 65 R

9W TM V-Steel 24* Stock TM S flex

1 iron Ping Eye 2 KT Blue label M flex

Irons 5 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW Cleveland 588 56* S-400 sensicore S soft tipped 2x

Putter Rusty Santa Fe Bulls Eye fluted shaft

Bag Old school Jones Classic non stand

2 hours ago, braincramp52 said:

You've never played or owned any Wilson clubs but you're of the opinion they're no good? Thanks for the input.🤨😆

Since when do you have to own a club to know if it is good or not? Ever heard of a hitting bay?  Most of Wilsons stuff looks like it belongs in a Walmart. But given your profile photo I can see why I might have struck a nerve.

On 2/9/2021 at 2:45 AM, leftylama said:

I really wanted to go with the new Staff CB irons after trying the demo and even placed an order. But I was left dumbfounded when the shop called back 3 days later to say Wilson won't bring the left handed model to Australia.

So Wilson will never get my money in the future and I'll stay loyal to brands that actually look after the lefties.

In the end I went T100 which performed just as well but are a little dearer. At least the resale will be miles better.

How do the Wilson CBs compare to the T100's?

TM SIM Max 10.5° - VA Drago

TM SIM Max 15°, 18.5° - VA Drago

Wilson Staff Model Blades 3 - PW - KBS Tour

Vokey SM8 50.12F, 58.08M - KBS Tour

Miura KM-006LH

2 hours ago, ASN21 said:

Since when do you have to own a club to know if it is good or not? Ever heard of a hitting bay?  Most of Wilsons stuff looks like it belongs in a Walmart. But given your profile photo I can see why I might have struck a nerve.

So personal opinion on the looks of a club = actual performance?

Gotta love WRX 🙄

2 hours ago, ASN21 said:

No nerve struck. I've played Pings for 25 years and have a new set of Srixon ZX5's ordered. We ALL know you can tell everything about a iron from a hitting bay.🤣 Wilson blades ,D7 Forged, and CB's are some of the best irons on the market. Too bad some people are too narrow minded to try them. Your loss.

Ping G425 5 wood

Callaway Apex #5 Hybrid

Titleist 714AP2, 5-GW
Ping Glide
 58*ES

Bettinardi Queen B 6