2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Apex Pro 21 and Apex Test

Peter_G

2 hours ago, SeaIsland said:

What tipped your decision to the 95s? Were you torn against the 105s?

They performed and felt really good. 105 S isn’t an option from Callaway and the 105 TX would’ve been too stiff even if I soft stepped them once or twice. I likely would’ve gone with the 105 S if it was offered. We even called Callaway HQ to confirm. 

• Like 1

Taylormade SIM2 Max 10.5 with HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX

Taylormade SIM2 Max 3 HL (16.5) with stock Ventus Blue 6S

Haywood Signature Driving Iron 18 with MMT 90S

Apex 4-5 with MMT 95S

Apex Pro 6-PW with MMT 95S

Cleveland RTX4 50, 54, 58 degree wedges

Odyssey putter

48 minutes ago, SeaIsland said:

What tipped your decision to the 95s? Were you torn against the 105s?

Replied above

Apex 4-5 with MMT 95S

Odyssey putter

On 2/10/2021 at 8:33 PM, golf9596 said:

Ordered 5-pw in the pros and added an Apex 4 iron. All shafted with Nippon 120-S.. I think I would have been ok with the pro in the4 iron, but not being able to test I went the save route. I would have ordered the spilt set, but the spilt at the 8 iron..not where I would do it.  

Just received shipping notice that the Apex 4 iron has shipped, but the Pros are on back order...Looks like Callaway has hit a home run. 

• Like 2

Ping g430 10K w/ Ventus Red 6-S

TaylorMade iq10 5 Wood w/ TD-70-S

Taylormade Stage 2 Tour hybrid w/Fujikura Speeder HB-S

PXG 0317t w/steelfiber i95-S 5-PW

SM8. 52* & 58* TM High Toe

Lab Mezz...46”

Jones Players Bag
Taylormade TP5X

4 hours ago, golf9596 said:

Just received shipping notice that the Apex 4 iron has shipped, but the Pros are on back order...Looks like Callaway has hit a home run. 

Mine are still approx ship date of Feb 26th.  We've got 1 foot of snow here in the NW today so the anticipation is not as great today haha 

6 hours ago, dj6627 said:

Cally gonna offer black iron heads also?

Heard during a presentation with them this week, no plans for a black version at this time. 

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

I have been playing the '19 Apex Pro and went and tried the new '21. 

I would agree with statements made, good iron but it did nothing overall better that the '19 does plus seemed to have some of the same tendency aspects I do not like of the '19.  They just did not wow me though in the end.  Sadly I hit the new Srixon ZX7 based on the fitter recommendation.... yea those are in the bag now.     

I have played the Apex Pro's from '14 and I think the '16 were the best (IMHO).  The '19's I feel do have hot spots now and then or more odd they would end 3-4 yards short on what seemed to be perfect strikes.  Which I saw on trackman a few times that two strikes with same ball we would see a decent difference in spin. *I tested as we thought the shaft was off on flex/freq. 

When testing the '21 model I felt the same, maybe mental but the numbers showed the same of what I was feeling.  I will agree the click sound is different compared to the feel you get. I had that same issue going from '16 to the '19's as it caught me off guard.

Not saying they are not good irons, just after years of playing them I just did not get what I wanted out of them in the fitting. 

Edit: Will note they are WAY better looking iron this year to me then the prior ones..!

Edited by CDM
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CDM said:

I would agree with statements made, good iron but it did nothing overall better that the '19 does plus seemed to have some of the same tendency aspects I do not like of the '19.  They just did not wow me though in the end.  Sadly I hit the new Srixon ZX7 based on the fitter recommendation.... yea those are in the bag now.     

I have played the Apex Pro's from '14 and I think the '16 were the best (IMHO).  The '19's I feel do have hot spots now and then or more odd they would end 3-4 yards short on what seemed to be perfect strikes.  Which I saw on trackman a few times that two strikes with same ball we would see a decent difference in spin. *I tested as we thought the shaft was off on flex/freq. 

When testing the '21 model I felt the same, maybe mental but the numbers showed the same of what I was feeling.  I will agree the click sound is different compared to the feel you get. I had that same issue going from '16 to the '19's as it caught me off guard.

Not saying they are not good irons, just after years of playing them I just did not get what I wanted out of them in the fitting. 

Edit: Will note they are WAY better looking iron this year to me then the prior ones..!

Very reasonable take here.  For me, I was coming from Apex CF2015 which I gamed for awhile and tuned into the respective flights and distances.  You'd get the occasional flyer, but I think the Apex Pro 21 will be less so....as least I hope so lol.  

Have fun with the Srixons.  Those are beauties 😉

• Like 1

On 2/16/2021 at 1:03 PM, CDM said:

😂 Srixon went right into my bag form Apex pro 21 as well. Reallllly quick. 

• Like 2

On 2/27/2021 at 8:50 AM, Peter_G said:

Just arrived today and they sure look good 🙂 .  In store fitting only had the 7i, but first range session in and no disappointment with the longer irons.  Such great feel throughout the set.  Ready to game them tomorrow on course 🙂 

IMG_3715 2.jpg

IMG_3717.JPG

I'm 66 and play off 4 to 6 h'cap, generally a good iron player.

I sound familiar to you, I have a set of 2014 Apex Forged 4-PW + GW TT XP95 S300 and have purchased the Apex CF16, CF18 Combo and Rogue Pro.

I just love the Apex Forged 2014 for consistency, ball contact and sound feedback.

I used the Apex CF16 for a couple weeks and whilst I got good results, I just wasn't getting contact feedback like the Apex 2014, same with Apex CF18 and hated the Rogue Pro.

I'm considering the Apex 21 4-PW + GW or Apex 21 Combo, 4-7i 21's and 8-PW + GW Apex 21 Pro.

What's your thoughts of the Apex 21 and Apex Pro 21 compared to the 2014 Apex?

Because I love the 2014 Apex, would I be best to just get the Apex 21 iron set and be done with it.

Can you compared the Elevate to the XP95 S300 shaft, I love the feel and results from the XP95?

Cheerz 🙂😄😉

Edited by daMANiack
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, daMANiack said:

I'm 66 and play off 4 to 6 h'cap, generally a good iron player.

I sound familiar to you, I have a set of 2014 Apex Forged 4-PW + GW TT XP95 S300 and have purchased the Apex CF16, CF18 Combo and Rogue Pro.

I just love the Apex Forged 2014 for consistency, ball contact and sound feedback.

I used the Apex CF16 for a couple weeks and whilst I got good results, I just wasn't getting contact feedback like the Apex 2014, same with Apex CF18 and hated the Rogue Pro.

I'm considering the Apex 21 4-PW + GW or Apex 21 Combo, 4-7i 21's and 8-PW + GW Apex 21 Pro.

What's your thoughts of the Apex 21 and Apex Pro 21 compared to the 2014 Apex?

Because I love the 2014 Apex, would I be best to just get the Apex 21 iron set and be done with it.

Can you compared the Elevate to the XP95 S300 shaft, I love the feel and results from the XP95?

Cheerz 🙂😄😉

With only a 7i to test, my initial thought was a combo set like you're thinking.  The first couple of hits in the test felt so smooth and good I took a leap of faith that the 4i-6i would be the same.  The gapping concerned me too with a Apex 6i and a Apex Pro 7i

I played yesterday and I didn't have as many flyers that you sometimes might get with CF15's, etc.  The distance dispersion was a lot tighter for me in studio test and on course yesterday.  I like the stock Elevate 115 on the irons so far.  I'm probably a mid flight ball and the Elevate probably gave me a bit higher ball flight.  I'm really pleased after one round with a full set of the Pros 🙂 

Cheers

Edited by Peter_G
  • Like 1

Something about the 21 apex pros sound  reminds me of the first time I hit the i500’s. I was not hoping for that connection.    

• Like 1

WITB

Titleist TSR3 - HZRDUS Black

Stealth+ 2.0 at 16 degrees

G430 7 wood, flat minus 1.5

Ping I210's (again)

Glide 4.0 48, 53, 58

Ping Anser PLD

Pro V1X 

Bag - Hoofer Lite

33 minutes ago, Kball10 said:

How did you like MMT shafts?  I currently have Accra in Apex Pro 2016, but am considering these irons.

They’re great but I’ve only hit them in my home setup. We still have a foot of snow on the ground everywhere!

• Sad 1

Apex 4-5 with MMT 95S

Odyssey putter

9 hours ago, Peter_G said:

Yikes buddy!  Still a foot out?  Here's hoping for some melt to get you on the links soon 😉 

Yes, we are hoping for around April 13th or so for the season to start. Thanks! 

Apex 4-5 with MMT 95S

Odyssey putter

On 2/10/2021 at 12:04 PM, Peter_G said:

Agree, I'd want the 7i in the Pro split 🙂 

That's what I did, a custom DIY combo order.

Apex 5 & 6, then Apex Pro 7-P/A with their lofts strengthened 2* (so that the gap between the 6 & 7 is reduced from 6.5* to 4.5*.

The gapping worked out great.

There is a definite difference in feel when hitting the 5 & 6 Apex, but since it's a 160-175 yard shot, I'm swinging it full and when I hit it flush, it's a great feel.

• Like 2

On 3/5/2021 at 10:34 AM, TTCarrera said:

That's what I did, a custom DIY combo order.

Apex 5 & 6, then Apex Pro 7-P/A with their lofts strengthened 2* (so that the gap between the 6 & 7 is reduced from 6.5* to 4.5*.

The gapping worked out great.

There is a definite difference in feel when hitting the 5 & 6 Apex, but since it's a 160-175 yard shot, I'm swinging it full and when I hit it flush, it's a great feel.

That's smart to lessen the gap from Apex 6i to Pro 7i.  Like my CF15's, I just found in tests that the larger Apex lines I'd have more flyers that went +10-15yds and the Pros decreased those.  Already have your set?

13 hours ago, Peter_G said:

That's smart to lessen the gap from Apex 6i to Pro 7i.  Like my CF15's, I just found in tests that the larger Apex lines I'd have more flyers that went +10-15yds and the Pros decreased those.  Already have your set?

Hi,

If he didn't purchase as on off the shelf COMBO set, you have to change the lofts of the PRO irons to maintain gaping distances.

The Pro irons in the Combo iron set are made independently of the Apex 21 Pro irons because the lofts are adjusted in their design.

The disadvantage of purchasing the Apex Pro 21 irons and bending to match the lofts of the Apex Pro 21 COMBO irons is that the bounce also gets changed when bent, minor I know.

Cheerz 🙂😄😉

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/10/2021 at 5:57 PM, wam78 said:

I'm really interested in bagging the Apex Pro 4i.  I've been using a UT 4i for the past season and thinking hard  about going back to a "normal" iron but with a little more forgiveness.

The Apex Pro 4 Iron will def give you that, keep in mind that spin will go up, launch may come down a bit, id consider adding .25-.5 to it to get the best of both worlds. If this is a tee club for you as well.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/9/2021 at 5:50 PM, rodge said:

Got my ship date of Feb 23rd for my Apex Pros with MMT 105TX.  Haven’t been this excited for new clubs in awhile!  It was a short demo for me, one look at them pretty much did me in, but hitting them was equal to looking at them.  Ordered immediately. 

Current review on these?