2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Bandon Trip March 9-13

Dsevans8

Ok guys I wanted to add another Bandon Dunes thread because it seems not many people post about that place 🙂... All the same this will be my 4th trip out there coming from Sacramento area. Wanted to use this thread to detail the trip once it happens, but being only 4 weeks out I need something to occupy my time and stop me from buying more golf gear. Below is my schedule, ambitious but doable for me. We have 12 guys going, and as usual we will be bunking together in Chrome Lake Doubles. We have a good mix of handicaps and golf abilities, as well as 5 first timers in the group. Not everyone will play on Wednesday as some people will still be traveling. We will be playing quota with 2 six man teams, probably taking 5 out of 6 scores for all 5 courses as some guys will have to skip Saturday afternoon rounds for travel reasons.

Tuesday 3/9: Drive up in the AM and play Preserve at 4pm

Wednesday 3/10: Bandon Dunes 8am/Sheep Ranch 130PM

Thursday 3/11: Pacific Dunes 8am/Sheep Ranch 130PM

Friday 3/12: Bandon Dunes 8am/Trails 130PM

Saturday 3/13: Old Mac 8am/Pacific 130PM

• Like 2

We will be there just before you - 

Staying in Golf Doubles at the Inn. 

Arrive March 3 - preserve at 4 pm 

3/4 - 7:00 Bandon 12:30 Trails 

3/5 - 7:00 Sheep 12:30 Trails 

3/6 - 7:00 Pac 12:30 Sheep 

3/7 - 7:00 Pac 12:30 Bandon 

First off every day is sweet, left OM off as we as a group rank it last on the list (having not played SR yet). 

3 of the 4 of us have been before, the 4th is an “ok” player, playing a lot more now I believe than years past and going along for the ride (we are all family members) so him missing OM isn’t the end of the world. 

Last years trip (last week in February, right when Covid was kicking off) was smooth as it comes with travel and flights, this year has been more difficult.  We are coming in from Chicago, Houston, and Dallas (by way of Mississippi actually) and it has been the opposite of smooth, understandably.  Each of our flights have changed multiple times, cancellations, and obstacles to overcome but it’s all worth it. 

33 minutes ago, dutz said:

We will be there just before you - 

Staying in Golf Doubles at the Inn. 

Arrive March 3 - preserve at 4 pm 

3/4 - 7:00 Bandon 12:30 Trails 

3/5 - 7:00 Sheep 12:30 Trails 

3/6 - 7:00 Pac 12:30 Sheep 

3/7 - 7:00 Pac 12:30 Bandon 

First off every day is sweet, left OM off as we as a group rank it last on the list (having not played SR yet). 

3 of the 4 of us have been before, the 4th is an “ok” player, playing a lot more now I believe than years past and going along for the ride (we are all family members) so him missing OM isn’t the end of the world. 

Last years trip (last week in February, right when Covid was kicking off) was smooth as it comes with travel and flights, this year has been more difficult.  We are coming in from Chicago, Houston, and Dallas (by way of Mississippi actually) and it has been the opposite of smooth, understandably.  Each of our flights have changed multiple times, cancellations, and obstacles to overcome but it’s all worth it. 

Yeah I really like Old Mac, find it very fun and interesting. I understand it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I always make sure to play it.

Just going to keep the conversation going on this thread until I actually get to Bandon. I was thinking about discussing some of the holes on the course, just to hear what people think. So lets start with the 1st hole at Bandon Dunes.... what are you guys taking? Driver over the right hand corner? Iron or hybrid at the inside bunker? I personally prefer the full wedge shot so it's Driving Iron for me. Tough to be on the first tee with all your group watching knowing you are going to hear it if you nuke a driver into who knows where, so I prefer the low runner and that way I can avoid the little 50-75 yard pitch up the elevated green. Nice full wedge for my approach shot.

I'll generally go 3 or 4h at the bunker, which gives me the best balance of forgiveness off the tee by taking any trouble out of play, can pull or push it, and still gives me less than 150 (usually 120-130) in even if I thin it.  I definitely don't want to have anything less than a full wedge, ie a feel shot.  Just something full to the middle and try to two putt.

G400 LST 8.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 19, 22, Tour 85 stiff
T100s, 5-gw, AMT White S200
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M
Never Compromise Portofino

Guys I am really liking the answers you are giving on Bandons 1st hole, kind of reaffirms what I like to do there. I think 2 and 3 are pretty straight forward. What are you guys doing on the 4th hole? I know it depends on wind direction and such, but is everyone just aiming straight trying to get it as far down to the opening as possible? Or are some of you biting off the mounding on the right trying to leave a much shorter shot? Having listened to McLay Kidd, and his intention that you be able to run the ball up on this hole, not sure what strategy everyone is using.

Whatever it takes to get to the bend in the fairway.  Sometimes it's bunt driver, sometimes a long iron, depending on wind and tee location.

Then it's a low running iron to the right side so it'll take the hill and funnel onto the green.  

My favorite place on the whole property.

• Like 2

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

Depends on the wind on 4. 
when I was there in August, it was 20+ mph wind at the back, and it was firm. 
caddie said hit your 180 carry club!

i nuked a 6 iron (probably would have carried 185 no wind). We found the ball 250+ from the tee. 

as someone else mentioned above, if you hit it a tiny bit left, you can run out of fairway quick with firm conditions 

Thanks for all the comments guys, I really appreciate them. I'm assuming on 5 everyone is just hitting it over the fairway mounds/bunkers with driver and trying to get it as far up as possible? On 7 are you trying to stay down the left side to give yourself a better look, or are you bombing it as far as possible and taking whatever comes?

5 has been my nemesis!  Takes two great shots.  But yeah, bomb it as straight as possible, and then laser a mid iron as straight as possible.  Otherwise pay up big time. 🙂 

7 has become 3h or 3w down the left side, playing for angle more than length.  Coming in from the right is just too tough to judge.  I either go too long and left, or get cute and end up tumbling back down for an even more difficult shot.

Edited by buzlin

G400 LST 8.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 19, 22, Tour 85 stiff
T100s, 5-gw, AMT White S200
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M
Never Compromise Portofino

BD5 is just get it over the mounds and as far down the center as the wind allows, with the ultimate goal position being just before the fairway starts to squeeze in.  I like to play a running shot up to the green, usually a chippy short/mid iron.  All that assuming there was no catastrophe(s) getting there from the tee...

BD 7 is another one that you don't need to hit driver off the tee.  I generally try to put one about 220 or so down the left side of the fairway, aiming over the rock outcropping.  Depending on the wind, that can be a driver all the way down to a long iron.  Much further than that the fairway starts rolling and tilting a lot, and it's very easy to end up down in that right side low area, which leaves a dastardly pitch up to the green and a struggle to make par.  There's a ton of gouge marks in the turf down there, mute testimony to those who have had to face that shot (put a couple in there, myself).

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

Got to agree there, #5 is always a tough one for me. Never seem to figure out how to navigate into that hole, end up long or short all the time. #7 his just one of those holes that is better off being played for the angle and a longer approach shot. Coming up from the right hand hollow is just a tough shot with little margin for error. That's what makes Bandon Dunes special, you have really got to think your way around the course and understand how the hole was designed and what is the best way to attack it.

On 2/13/2021 at 6:35 AM, Dsevans8 said:

Just going to keep the conversation going on this thread until I actually get to Bandon. I was thinking about discussing some of the holes on the course, just to hear what people think. So lets start with the 1st hole at Bandon Dunes.... what are you guys taking? Driver over the right hand corner? Iron or hybrid at the inside bunker? I personally prefer the full wedge shot so it's Driving Iron for me. Tough to be on the first tee with all your group watching knowing you are going to hear it if you nuke a driver into who knows where, so I prefer the low runner and that way I can avoid the little 50-75 yard pitch up the elevated green. Nice full wedge for my approach shot.

Driver over the corner down into the well, 50yd chunk wedge that rolls back down, next wedge or hybrid long, 2 putt from 40' for an easy 5, move onto #2. Wind aside, I know something short of the bunker and full club in is 'smarter', but I want to hit two good drives before #4 and #5.

Edited by duffer987
  • Haha 2

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

On 2/13/2021 at 8:56 AM, mallrat said:

1 on Bandon is the 2nd easiest tee shot on property, IMO. It’s a smooth driver for me but I’m not long at all. 

Are you going to get around to playing Pacific for the first time next trip there? 😉

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

1 minute ago, mallrat said:

Somehow I end up in the waste bunker on the right every time. 6 iron through driving iron I’ve been in that bunker. 

You think that’s an easy 1st hole tee shot?

Go to further extremes. Either pull the driver or see how far you can hit a putter. (Definitely not an easy tee shot, since the bumps and hazards effectively make it a 210 yard par 3 in a wind tunnel)

13 minutes ago, mallrat said:

Somehow I end up in the waste bunker on the right every time. 6 iron through driving iron I’ve been in that bunker. 

You think that’s an easy 1st hole tee shot?

Not at all, I wasn't referring to 1 specifically but that there are more than 2 easier teeballs: 3, 8, 12, 15 off the top of my head, as I think Pac is let down by pretty mundane, repetitive par 5s, bar 18 of course

F.T.

22 hours ago, duffer987 said:

Not at all, I wasn't referring to 1 specifically but that there are more than 2 easier teeballs: 3, 8, 12, 15 off the top of my head, as I think Pac is let down by pretty mundane, repetitive par 5s, bar 18 of course

Funny I think we are kind of talking about different things. 

Just continuing on with the trend here at Bandon Dunes... what are your plays on 10 and 14? I have always taken driver on 10, just have never felt that there was any real danger in any direction off that hole. You can go left middle or right and still leave your self with a manageable 2nd shot, for me its just a swing away hole. 14 on the other hand... I have taken driver, 3 wood, or 2 iron depending on pin location. There are a lot of bunkers to navigate and depending on the wind I really prefer to get to the left side and leave myself a good number into that green.

10 - driver straight at it and if I turn it into a draw over left with a look all the better, but want to protect against going through the fairway on the left

14 - unless it is into the wind, try and drive the green, there is loads of room to miss and flare to the right and if I hit a good ball but end up in one of the two bunkers fronting the green so be it

Edited by duffer987
  • Like 1

F.T.