Blade / Anser vs Squareback / DoubleWide - Worth going deep?

I'm currently gaming a Ping Cadence TR Anser 2 putter, and while putting has been one of the strongest parts of my game, I've definitely missed putts hitting out of the toe or heel a bit. I also demo'd a SpiderX to try the other end of the spectrum, and while I decided I really didn't like the mallet style for pace control, I found the extra long alignment line felt like almost cheating. A deeper blade, like a Scotty Squareback, Odyssey DoubleWWide, etc, seems like it could be a perfect middle ground.

The bottom line:

Have you switched from a blade/Anser to a "deep" blade like a Squareback or Double Wide? What was your experience? Any regrets?

Mixed bag o'crap that I'm slowly replacing (replaced 2021😞

Titleist 917 D2 10.5* Diamana D+ 70 S

TaylorMade SIM Ti 3W 15* Ventus Blue 7X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 X

Ping G 17* Hy Alta Blue 70 S

Cobra Max 22* Hy White Tie 55 S

PXG 0311XF 5i Fujikura Pro 95i Tour Stiff

Mizuno MP18 MMC 7i Modus 120 S, Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 6, 8, 9, PW, GW KBS Tour 90 S

Callaway Mack Daddy 2 54/12, Vokey SM7 60 M

Odyssey Toulon Chicago Ping Cadence TR Anser 2

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I gave wide blade a try when I didn't quite like mallets as they were too big and blades were too small. I tired to game a few but found in a fitting I aimed them awfully and that a traditional blade

Toulon Chicago would fit the bill. It has 16 degrees of toe hang and is a wide body anser putter. It is also on sale at Callaway preowned for $181. Stock head weight is 360 grams. This is ok as it has

Posted Images

I gave wide blade a try when I didn't quite like mallets as they were too big and blades were too small. I tired to game a few but found in a fitting I aimed them awfully and that a traditional blade worked best for me. That's just my experience, for you could be completely different. So why not give it a try if you can and see how it works out. I'd buy a wide blade and see how you get on with it compared to a regular blade. 

• Like 2

Lefty WITB

Driver: 9° Ping G410 Plus - Tour 65S

3W: 13.5° Ping G410 LST - Aldila NV 2KXV Green 75X

3H: 19° Ping G410 - Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: 4i - 7i Srixon 585 / 8i - PW Srixon 785 - AMT Tour White S300

Wedges: 51° MD3 - 56° Glide 2 - 60° PM2

Putter(s): TP Mills Handmade - Kingdom Putter - SIK Pro Tour Proto - and more. 

Both of the two putters I have gamed over the last year are wider bodied blades (Ping Sigma G Kushin, Bettinardi QB5). Without a doubt has helped my putting when compared to my old Anser or my old Odyssey mallet. My alignment has greatly improved. I don't think I am ever going back.

Edited by BlackOut2

D - Callaway Rogue Draw, Fujikura Atmos TS Red 6s

3w - Callaway Rogue, Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0 75

2h - Ping g425, Fujikura Atmos TS Red 7s

3h - Ping g400 Crossover - Alta CB S

4-GW - Taylormade P790 - Nippon NS Pro 950

56* - Cleveland RTX-3 cb

60* - Cleveland RTX-3 cb

Putter - Bettinardi Queen Bee 5

(15 clubs currently in rotation)

Give it a try. I have played a Newport 2 style for the last 2 years and  I’m trying out some mid mallets, Toulon Palm Beach and Queen B 9, as well as a Toulon Chicago. Initial results have been good but have to get out and get some more rounds in. I do like the  extra help with alignment and am not seeing too much loss in distance control. 

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll give it a shot!

Mizuno MP18 MMC 7i Modus 120 S, Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 6, 8, 9, PW, GW KBS Tour 90 S

Currently playing Bettinardi BB1 (2018) and tried Bettinardi BB8W and Queen Bee 5 before, which are both wide body Anser style. Definitely more forgiving with the wider body but the mistake I made was that they both had more toe hang compared to my BB1 which wasn't suitable for my putting style. So make sure you get this right when you switch to wider body putter. That is the only reason why I reverted back to BB1 currently.

I will give it another try with more mini mallet style like Bettinardi BB45 next which is more face balanced and forgiving. If I can find a near faced balanced putter at 350g with wide body anser style, I might give that a try as well. 

9 hours ago, hypergolf said:

Currently playing Bettinardi BB1 (2018) and tried Bettinardi BB8W and Queen Bee 5 before, which are both wide body Anser style. Definitely more forgiving with the wider body but the mistake I made was that they both had more toe hang compared to my BB1 which wasn't suitable for my putting style. So make sure you get this right when you switch to wider body putter. That is the only reason why I reverted back to BB1 currently.

I will give it another try with more mini mallet style like Bettinardi BB45 next which is more face balanced and forgiving. If I can find a near faced balanced putter at 350g with wide body anser style, I might give that a try as well. 

Toulon Chicago would fit the bill. It has 16 degrees of toe hang and is a wide body anser putter. It is also on sale at Callaway preowned for $181. Stock head weight is 360 grams. This is ok as it has the stroke lab shaft and is counter balanced. you can switch to the A7 weight plate and the head weight will be 348. 

05C737A1-3E25-4B1D-A890-E88F778912F7.jpeg

167A32BB-D30F-456C-A4BA-99EDE03A8EDD.jpeg

0640F393-796B-4E5D-88E6-D3C86685A68F.jpeg

Edited by Tar_Heel_93
  • Like 1

One of the 2 putters I rotate through is a 2014 Cameron Squareback.  The other is a 2018 Laguna.  The Squareback is a bit more stable and forgiving compared to the blade.  I like it a lot on slower greens or when my putting is not at its best.  I like the wide body concept a lot.  For me, the Squareback is pretty much "point and shoot".

Other good choices are the Evnroll ER2 and the Stroke Lab Double Wide.

Titleist TS2 D (10.5*) KuroKage Black DC 50 S

Titleist TS2 F (16.5*) KuroKage Black DC 55 R

Titleist TS2 H (21.0*) Tensei CK Pro Red 60 R

PING G410 Crossover (23.0*) Alta CB 70 Red R
PING i210 5-PW Blue Dot Dynamic Gold 105 R

Cleveland CBX-2 (50, 54, 58) Dynamic Gold 115 WF
Scotty Cameron Laguna Flo-Jet

Would a fang putter be an option?

I have a wide blade PING Kushin Sigma G that I do good with. (could always do better)

I have never played a Fang style putter.

I am curious about the Fang putters, particularly the MIzuno M Craft VI that is coming out and the new PXG Bat attack.

Driver -COBRA FLY-Z 9.5*

4 Wood - PING G400 17.5*

Hybrid  PING G400 22*

Irons - PING G400 5-UW

Wedges - Callaway CB 54* ; Cleveland CBX2 Full Face 58*

Putter - PING Sigma G Kushin 34in 

Ball- Snell- Black

I used to putt with traditional blades a Scotty Newport Midslant from the mid-90s and later an Odyssey ProType #1 with the white hot insert.  LOVE the look of blades but started feeling like I was having a hard time on those critical 4-6 footers so I started down the tinkering hole... I first went to a Cameron GoLo3 but sold it (wish I hadn't - won't sell another putter) then a Scotty Cameron X7 I bought off a member here.  REALLY liked putting with it but just couldn't get over the size (wish I had an X5) and it ended up in my son's bag.  Then I've gotten a new Toulon the past few years- first an Atlanta (chose narrowly over a Memphis) then a Las Vegas (#7 style) most recently a Chicago.  Long winded story of saying I'm finally trying a wide blade (Chicago) to see if I can get the looks preference I have with the blade with the additional stability and 4-6 ft confidence I have with mallets.

Only 1 or 2 days of practice so far due to weather but I love the looks of it.  Just not sure about the fat grip it has on it.

default_callaway-small.jpg.0667322081ba61f1e13fcf849463e542.jpg

Epic Flash Sub Zero 9 degree (10°)- Hzrdus Yellow Handcrafted
Epic Flash Sub Zero 3W (16°)- Hzrdus Smoke
Apex 3 (20°) & 4 (23°) Hybrid- Kuro Kage
'18 Apex MB (8-PW) and '19 Apex Pro (5-7i) Nippon Pro Modus 105 s
MD3 Black 50°, 54° (S Grind), 58° (PM Grind)
Toulon Design Odyssey Atlanta or Stroke Lab Las Vegas
Ball: Bridgestone Tour BX
*Sometimes play strong 3w, 5 wood and 52/58 wedge setup

I had exactly the same Ping as you you. I initially liked it, but I almost felt as though the shaft was flexing on long putts and became increasingly in comfortable. 

however I did like the counterbalance so after trying a few options, I got an odyssey 1w tank and I adore it. 

like you, I’ve often tried mallets but just never bonded with them, but I do like the wider alignment line on the 1w style putters, so it seems the best of both worlds. 

everyone has their own tastes, but I can’t praise the odyssey enough. 

the other thing to mention is that I normally play 34” putter, and for that the odyssey tank comes in 35” length (to incorporate the counter). whereas to get the counterbalanced Scotty you have to have an extra 2” over your normal length, and I found that a pain when playing in rain gear, as the butt of the putter would get caught in your jacket!

Taylormade M2 2017
Mizuno MX700 3W
Titleist 909h 19*
Srixon U65 23*
Srixon Z765 5-PW
Cleveland 588 RTXcb 50, 56, 60
Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5m

I've always been an Anser style guy.   I've gone through a few mallets and the only one that's had any staying power is a 2ball blade.   I'm sure a big part is the look, offset, and toe hang that comes with a plumber's neck that I'm comfortable with, but I've also found my distance control suffers with high MOI mallets.

Both the latest squareback and the evnroll 2.2 caught my eye then noticed they got some most wanted love.    Happened on a great deal on the squareback and took a chance.   Long story short, it's replaced a Yes! Dawn that I gamed for 12 years and took on all comers.   I feel like the biggest improvement has been on 5-10 footers and fast downhill lags.   

We should start a list of putter dimensions on Golfwrx. Pictures from manufacturers' websites don't really do the putter justice when you're trying to figure out the size of the putter head. For sure, not every "wide body" blade is the same.

For example, here's the heel to toe length and face to back edge of the flange measurements of the three modern putters I have on hand:

Bettinardi Studio Stock 17 (2021 release) - 4.125" heel to toe, 1.25" front to back

Bettinardi Studio Stock 8 (2017? release) - 4.25", a hair under 1.125"

Ping Heppler ZB3 - 4.25", 1.125"

Three very similar putter shapes, but all slightly different sizes. To my eye, the SS 17 is obviously wider than the other two putters, but I wouldn't have guessed that it was slightly shorter. The SS 8 looks the smallest to me.

Edited by MaineMariner

Callaway Big Bertha Fusion 10.5 deg.

Callaway Mavrik 3 wood

Cobra F9 5 Wood

Srixon H45 4 hybrid

Srixon 565 5-AW

Ping Glide 3.0 54 deg.

Callaway PM Grind 60 deg.

Bettinardi Studio Stock 17

Just pulled the trigger on a minty Toulon Chicago w/Stroke Lab - 34" with a Traxion Tour 3.0 in Black/White. Can't wait to try the new sexiness when it arrives! Though now I'll need to find a different excuse for missing putts...

I've switched from an Odyssey black tour designs #2 I played for about 10 years to an Evnroll ER2.2 and/or Squareback 2 last year.  Ended up favoring the squareback- sets up better to me, slightly longer blade length than the ER2.2, but I'm 100% a wide-blade convert.  I seem to have a much easier time with face rotation with the larger head, but I'm in the same boat of not liking the mallets.

I used Anser style for several years while having a Method wide as well that worked very nice. Then I got a SC Sonoma 2 tha is fantastic, not an Anser, not a mallet. So I got the best of two worlds, a Lajosi DD201WB, a fabulous Anser wide body. 

Everything was going well until a Bullseye flange arrived to my hands and made such a big impact. Then Kari made me a couple of L-Blades that I’ve been using for the last 3 years. In the past, following the recommendations of a fitter, I used mallets, some of them stupidly big and full of lines. So many people are scared of blades but I found them simple and effective, less is more.