Wilson staff cb or Srixon zx7???

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just demoed both side by side with various shafts.  I also have both the v6 and 785 as my current iron sets.    they both performed great and were honestly giving me similar numbers, tested w

Have you played a Wilson club? I took a flyer on a set of V6's 2 years ago and they've been in my bag since. IMO, they are seriously underrated. I will be gaming the CB's without a doubt. People who a

Hey guys, there are a lot of great products out there. Which would you choose between the Srixon cb and the Wilson staff cb irons?

Posted Images

Have you played a Wilson club? I took a flyer on a set of V6's 2 years ago and they've been in my bag since. IMO, they are seriously underrated. I will be gaming the CB's without a doubt. People who aren't "in the know" might look at your bag and think you got em at Walmart, but I can assure you, they perform. 

• Like 3

Out of those two I would pick the Wilson Staff's. Just my own personal preference for looks and feel 

• Like 2

Driver = Taylormade SIM 8* Hzrdus green 6.0

1 iron = Titleist U510 Hzrdus smoke 6.0
3 iron = Titleist U500 Hzrdus smoke 6.0
Irons = Wilson Staff FG59,  4-PW
Wedges = Bettinardi HLX 3.0 52*

Taylormade 56* and 60* MG2

Putter = Odyssey white hot pro 1WS 

Ball = Mizuno RB Tour

I saw the Wilson CB for the first time a few weeks ago in Rogers,Ar.  They are 100% great looking.  No hitting bays at the shop so I can not comment on performance.

I guess I will be the first to go the other way though.  I have the Srixon on the way.  I think they too are really good looking and I was able to hit them on Trackman.  That combined with great appreciation for other Srixon irons I have and currently play made the choice between the two much easier.  

The Wilsons are a bit of a sleeper these days but I have great respect for their part in golf history.

Srixon may also be considered a bit of a sleeper but BK's win with them last week will probably gain them some attention.

I will vote Srixon as their numbers were great on Trackman, feel would be difficult to beat, and experience with them tells me they will give very repeatable distance.  

Both are attractive choices!

Callaway Epic Max with Tensei Blue Raw

TM Sim Max 5 wood with Ventus Blue

TM Sim Max 3 hybrid with Ventus Blue

TM M6 5 hybrid with Hzrdus 

Srixon 545 5i with Recoil 110 F4

Srixon Z945 6- I PW with Recoil 110 F4

52 and 56 degree Ping Forged with Recoil 110 F4

60 Glide 2 with SF 110

Ping Prime Tyne or Spider Tour Black

Wilson makes some very good equipment,

But, I can tell you, that I am a srixon 785 iron player and think srixon deserves your consideration. Test the ZX7's  against  all other irons and your current gamers.  I think you will be hard pressed to find a better iron, for feel, repeatability, and tight dispersion. Try them for yourself. 

• Like 2

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

I play the V6 and played the V4 before that. Will be playing the CB shortly. I have a shallow AoA so the V sole on the Srixons does not work well for me. Something to consider depending on how steep your swing is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Callaway Mavrik 9* - Rogue 125 70TX
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15* - Riptide 70 6.5
Cobra King 3 Utility - Kuro Kage 100X

Wilson FG Tour V6 - X100
Glide 3.0 46, 51, 56, 60 - X100
Scotty Cameron Newport 3

I have the V6 in the bag as well. Wouldn´t mind switching to the CB, but the V6´s are so good  and they are staying 🙂 But between the two sets in question i would go with the Wilsons.

- Taylor Made SIM 9°, Hzrdus Smoke Green 70 6.0
- Cobra King SZ 3-wood 14,5°, Hzardus Smoke Yellow 70 6.0
- Taylormade 2017 M1 5W 19°, Aldila VS Proto 80s / Wilson Staff Utility Iron 18°, KBS Tour H80s
- Wilson fg tour V6 pw-4, DG s300
- Wilson Staff Model 50°, 54°, DG 120

- Taylormade Hi-Toe 58°, DG 120
- Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide AL
- Bridgestone Tour BX

13 hours ago, Krosch3 said:

Just demoed both side by side with various shafts. 
I also have both the v6 and 785 as my current iron sets. 

they both performed great and were honestly giving me similar numbers, tested with same shafts. 

The biggest things to consider would be what do you like when you look down at the  club? 
To my eyes the wilsons are more squat in appearance, shorter heel to toe. Zx7 a touch larger footprint in that area but not large. 

the wilsons spun a touch more for me , 6400 on a 7 iron with ideal shaft. Zx7 spun 5900 with 7 iron with same shaft. 

descent angle was marginally betteR on the zx7 which helps with the slight reduction in spin. 46 degree vs 45 degree for the wilsons. 

Zx7 were longer by a few yards, though for me the Wilson yardage suited me better for gapping. 

feel wise it really is tough to say, depends what you like. Both feel fantastic, I would give slight edge to Wilson on pure shots. Zx7 on Mishits. 

retention of yards and spin on shots low on face was awesome for both, really solid. 

These are the two irons that stand apart in my opinion and can’t go wrong with either one. 

Wilson are consistent, good lofts, and feel amazing with a perfect look. For a good iron player these are hard to beat and my choice. 
zx7 are slightly longer, lower spin, and maybe a fraction more forgiving. A perfect choice for someone who is after that. 

For what it is worth, the shafts I tested made a world of a difference for me, that was the most impactful changes and testing done. (I went lighter higher launch shafts to get my launch angle up, going away from my thinking I need heavier 120 range stiff/xstiff shafts. I needed launch with my angle of attack even though I swing it hard.)

Thanks for the reviews. Others have said the Srixon Zx series leans toward a draw bias. The CB literature points out that the CB weights against a draw. 

Did you find either of the irons favored a flight path?  I had the 585s and loved them, except for the “lefts”. I gave them to a nephew because I too often saw them headed to port. 

I’d love to know what shaft you found worked best, too. Thanks!

33 minutes ago, fixurpitch said:

Thanks for the reviews. Others have said the Srixon Zx series leans toward a draw bias. The CB literature points out that the CB weights against a draw. 

Did you find either of the irons favored a flight path?  I had the 585s and loved them, except for the “lefts”. I gave them to a nephew because I too often saw them headed to port. 

I’d love to know what shaft you found worked best, too. Thanks!

That Is interesting. Now this could be due to my winter swing and being indoors. I found they both were pretty consistent with a slight fade. I may have been slightly less of a fade with zx7, so that could play into what you were saying. But honestly the consistency from both were outstanding. No big lefts whatsoever, honestly I don't think I hit a draw once, which I normally do.

As for the shafts that worked best for me, I landed on the C-taper lite S, the regular gave me even a touch more launch as well. I needed the launch though so the lighter shaft helped produce this for me coming from dg s300 white amt. I Saw ball speeds averaging around 125 with these shafts on a 7 iron. 

• Like 1

I stopped by PGA SS yesterday and compared CB, ZX7, and 921 Forged. Wilson and Srixon with Modus 120, Mizuno with $ taper. 

Just one guy’s experience, but I didn’t mesh well with the ZX7. And I really wanted it to come out on top. It had the widest dispersion.

The CBs felt the best. What a sweet iron! That face is on the short side. Shots were consistent on shape and distance. The traditional 34° 7-iron makes for a shorter flight. If I was playing more often, these would be the choice. 

The 921 Forged felt almost as good as the CB. 31° 7-iron flew further. It was as consistent as the CB. And the Forged has more meat at the ball. It inspires confidence. 

I’ll probably wait for next month’s demo day before making a final decision. Let’s see if real turf reveals anything. 

• Like 2

Following up on my previous post, I tested irons again and confirmed the CB was better than the ZX7 for me, but ended up ordering the Apex pro. Ball speed was surprisingly about the same on good strikes but ball speed retention on misses fell heavily in favor of the Callaway.

Callaway Mavrik 9* - Rogue 125 70TX
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15* - Riptide 70 6.5
Cobra King 3 Utility - Kuro Kage 100X

Wilson FG Tour V6 - X100
Glide 3.0 46, 51, 56, 60 - X100
Scotty Cameron Newport 3

be sure to demo the Modus 105 vs the Modus 120 because in my opinion they are very different. I hated the 120, but love the 105

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue Driver MMT 60s
Callaway Epic 3 Wood Kiyoshi Gold 75s
Callaway
Super Hybrid Recoil Dart F3 75H

Srixon 765 Irons Modus 105s
Cleveland Zipcore Wedges Tour Issue Spinner Wedge
Bettinardi Queen Bee #6 putter
Callaway Chrome Soft X Ball

🇱🇷

On looks, Staff CB IMO.  I spent about 30 minutes checking it against every blade and player's CB PGA Superstore had on the racks.

It's small compared to the ZX7, but noticeably larger than a blade, and to my eye it looks 'more substantial' than the Titleist CB and T100.  

The slightly thicker top line (compared to 921 or T100) gives the 'appearance of forgiveness'.  With a slightly higher rounder toe, and shorter blade length, its footprint is unique -- best described as compact (versus small).  Only when compared side-by-side with other 'options' can one perceive its relative size.

It's on my short list to try (coming off of 14 year old Titleist 680 blades).

I demoed both the Wilson CB and Srixon ZX7. Ended up going with the Zx7/Zx5 combo (started zx 7 at the 7 iron). They both felt and looked great but for me the Srixons edged the Wilsons slightly.  I seemed to be more consistent with the Srixons. I also really liked that I could combo them easily since I struggle more with my long irons. 

Another deciding factor for me was the shaft availability. The local Wilson dealer said that the Wilson only had a couple options (I believe DG) and everything else was an upgrade. He said he was working with his Wilson rep to try and get more options without the upgrade fees, but he was unsure if that would happen. With the Srixons, I was able to choose from several shafts, ended up going with the Nippon Modus 105. They estimate they will be here in 2 weeks. 

Good luck choosing. I know it took me a long time to narrow down. I hit everything imaginable and in the end I narrowed to the ping i210, Wilson CBs, and Srixons zx5-zx7 before pulling the trigger on the Srixons.

BTW, if you decide on the Srixons, email discount dans for pricing. They were the cheapest of anyone. I ended up purchasing through a local dealer and paying a little more just because I wanted to get fitted, but if you know exactly what you want discount dans would be the way to go. 

Just posted in the Wilson Staff CB thread but I thought some comparison pics may help others concerning the Staff CB's because you don't see much info about them in threads. 

Looking to replace my old 962's and over the past few years I've considered s55's, i210's, AP2's, T200s, and more recently P770's.  Staff CB's are most recent experiment with a purchase off the Bay.  

Still have a few of those test heads so I took some pics just to give people a comparison of the actual faces and then I used some impact stickers to try and show differences between the head sizes.  It's nothing scientific and designed just to give people a rough estimate of the differences. 

They are more compact heel to toe than my 962's (and other irons I've compared) but it's not overly noticeable to me when I set the club down.  What I like is how top to bottom they are a little taller than some of the other irons and that actually gives me more confidence especially when I envision shots out of rough where I sometimes catch the ball center and higher up on the face.  The P770's I found to be someone short and a little more intimidating to my eye but maybe I associate iron height rather than length as being forgiving.  Others may be the opposite and focus on length.  To each their own.  Here are the comparison pics:

ALL 7 IRON's

T200 top /  S55 middle  / Staff CB bottom

1994253298_IMG_67911.JPG.393958f360dbd368fb70b9d028f76fa2.JPG

I210 Top /  S55 middle /  Staff CB bottom

76211473_IMG_67931.JPG.cf960ecfa4d7f297a1abc50ce2bccc03.JPG

DCI 962  / Staff CB

1833604753_IMG_67971.JPG.3cd21ed6ddaf1f6901e014583280ed16.JPG

S55 / Staff CB

766861995_IMG_67941.JPG.8a5eda7e208aeb3cc6dfbfeb7f9c9504.JPG

T200  /  Staff CB

574834717_IMG_67951.JPG.32439347e30dfcb13e317706b2e6786c.JPG

i210  /  Staff CB 686279249_IMG_67961.JPG.9eb841ddbe8e0f2a20ee9d264f15b3dc.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They both played very much the same. I was swinging the 5 iron (people are always pros at hitting 8-pw) at Carl’s and they both felt the same on pure strikes. The x7 was swinging on a tight dispersion, the modus shaft felt great. Honestly if you had to save money by going the Wilson’s route, you wouldn’t be leaving anything on the table. Yeah the sole is different and that was playing into my strikes but they both were very good to hit. Both had a nice retention for the slight miss and just were great performers. 

Ping G400/ Ping tour 65 s

Ping 410 3w / Ping tour 65 s 

Nike VRS covert 5w/ kurokage black s

Titleist 718 T-mb 4 iron / amt white s300

Titleist 716 AP2 5-pw/ amt white s300

Cleveland Rtx4  48(bent to 50)mid, 54 mid, 58 mid / dynamic gold s400

Nike midnight method 006/ Black SS Gt 1.0 w 25g counter core.

I hit the Wilson cb today for the first time.  Very impressive irons.  Felt very good in center contact.  Had great ball speeds and spin rates.  Have not really paid much attention to them outside of the staff mb.  They caught me by surprise.  

Titleist  TSi3 9* Oban Hashimoto LTD 65 04

Titleist TS3 15* Diamana S+ ltd Blueboard 70s tipped 1" 

Titleist U500 2i Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour Spec 9.8 hb

Callaway  18 X Forged UT 4i  Accra iCWT 105

Wilson Staff   CB 5-pw  Nippon Modus 125 stiff

National Custom Works   50, 53, 58  DG TI s400 Black Onyx

Cushman Custom   C&C 1.0 Welded Hex Flow Neck  KBS CT Tour Matte Black, Lamkin Deep Etch Full Cord

Bridgestone Tour B XS

I think they both look great, but would probably go with the ZX7’s due to the shaft options and where they were forged. 

Sun Mountain 4.5 LS 14-way / Cobra F9 PX HZRDUS Black 65 6.5 / Srixon Z F85 PX HZRDUS Black 75 6.5 / Srixon Z H85 19* MCA Tensei CK Pro White 90 TX / SRIXON Z965 4-PW DG TI X100 / Cleveland RTX-4 50,54,60 DG TI S400 / Cleveland 2016 HB #1

56 minutes ago, wam78 said:

I hit the Wilson cb today for the first time.  Very impressive irons.  Felt very good in center contact.  Had great ball speeds and spin rates.  Have not really paid much attention to them outside of the staff mb.  They caught me by surprise.  

Where did u hit them?  I'm from southern OK but get down there often.

Sim max driver
915 4w
913 hybrid
C300 4 iron...Staff Model blade 5-P
Vokey wedges

SpiderX

TP5

11 minutes ago, kylesilk said:

Where did u hit them?  I'm from southern OK but get down there often.

I’m actually in PHX traveling for work.  Was on my way back to my hotel from the corporate office and noticed a little golf shop.  Decided to stop in and check it out.  Had the opportunity to demo anything in the shop so I hit the Wilson staff MB’s and cb’s.

They really took me by surprise.  The other thing that surprised me was one of the better shafts that worked for me was c taper 120.  I’ve never had good experiences with c taper in the past for whatever reason.  But it tightened my dispersion significantly and gained ball speed.  Walked out confused...😂

• Like 1

Cushman Custom   C&C 1.0 Welded Hex Flow Neck  KBS CT Tour Matte Black, Lamkin Deep Etch Full Cord

Bridgestone Tour B XS

46 minutes ago, wam78 said:

I’m actually in PHX traveling for work.  Was on my way back to my hotel from the corporate office and noticed a little golf shop.  Decided to stop in and check it out.  Had the opportunity to demo anything in the shop so I hit the Wilson staff MB’s and cb’s.

They really took me by surprise.  The other thing that surprised me was one of the better shafts that worked for me was c taper 120.  I’ve never had good experiences with c taper in the past for whatever reason.  But it tightened my dispersion significantly and gained ball speed.  Walked out confused...😂

Gotcha.  That's interesting about the c tapers.  I need to hit these clubs.

Sim max driver
915 4w
913 hybrid
C300 4 iron...Staff Model blade 5-P
Vokey wedges

SpiderX

TP5

1 hour ago, kylesilk said:

Gotcha.  That's interesting about the c tapers.  I need to hit these clubs.

It really was.  I always test c tapers, even though they never really jive with me, as they tend to be dispersion killers.  For whatever reason, they just synced with this head and my timing.  Ball speed ticked up, dispersion tightened big time and my spin was consistently between 6500-6700 with a 7 iron.  Have no idea why it all of a sudden worked for me. 

• Like 1

Bridgestone Tour B XS