Top of the bag gapping - what do people play

lordemsworth

I was watching the most recent Mark Crossfield video (Srixon ZX4 review) and as he tested the new irons he made a comment about top of the bag gapping and how many golfers have lots of wedges at the bottom of the bag to the detriment of gapping at the top of the bag.

it caused me to re-think what I have done - and wanted to get views from the Board.

i use a driver for 260 yards.(total)

I play a 4 wood for 230 (carry)

i play 3h for 210 (carry)

4 iron is 195 (carry)

5 iron 180 (carry)

6 iron 170 (carry)

7 iron 158 (carry)

8 iron 147 (carry)

9 iron 135 (carry)

PW 125  (carry)

GW 115 (carry)

54 105 (carry)

58 90 (carry)

When i need to hit a target 200 yards over a hazard (water/bunker) I will hit the 3h.   To be honest, I probably hit 25% of greens from this distance, but don’t really expect to.  If I hit, great, otherwise play to hit it close on my third shot.

I feel comfortable hitting the 5 iron into a green at 180 over hazrd(water/bunker).

On most par 5s, if i have to hit 230 or more, I turn it into a 3 shot hole.

I am more focused on making sure I hit greens from 140 in.

On three of the courses I play, I almost never hit a 9 iron or 54 degree wedge.  I use the 58 for most partial wedge shots under 90 yards, and the for all pitches and chips.  I probably need to refine that.

Based in this info, I wouldn’t adjust the top of the bag because of how I approach shots from that end.

How do you guys feel about the top of your bags?

For me, top of the bag gapping means very little.  IDC if I have a 40y gap between my 3/4wd and 3H as they are primarily off the tee clubs.  I play the hole in from there with whatever I have left from either of those 2 clubs.  I seriously doubt I'll ever have an odd number that I can't cover with the rest of my bag.

I rarely if ever go at par 5's in 2 if they are above 220 out which I would comfortably hit my 3h or 4i if there is no trouble short.  The courses I play don't usually have par 3's that are over 190, so have an iron in hand for that.

Driver - something to hit the ball far

3/4 wood - something to hit the ball far but with a little more control

3h - something to hit the ball not to far and in play more often than not

4i - better get the dam ball in play

5-LW - what ever I need them to do from hitting under the wind 5i 150y to putting with wedges.

Edited by setter02
  • Like 2

What's In The Ping Moonlite:
Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

Hasn't Crossfield just changed to a 46/52/58 wedge setup whereas he used to play something like 46/50/56/60? Hardly earth shattering but the top of his bag is seriously loaded up.

I'm not sure I can even list his 14 clubs. 

Driver 

3 wood

16° hybrid

19° hybrid

22° hybrid

6 iron hybrid 26.5° 

7 iron 31°

8 iron 36°

9 iron 41° 

Pitching wedge 46°

Gap wedge 52°

Lob/Sand wedge 58°

Putter

Hmm... that's still only 13 clubs by my count? 🤔

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

My top end is 

Driver 255 carry

5 Wood 230 carry

3 iron (Only off the tee) 215 carry

4 hybrid 210 carry off the deck

5-pw

50/54/58 wedge setup 

The top end of my bag sees a lot of change but i’m pretty set on the 5 wood and 4 hybrid. i’m currently in the z545 3 iron and that may see a change to the zx utility at some point because I don’t love the 3 iron, it’s not great on mishits and i don’t launch it high enough consistently. And I have the modus 120 in it as I do the rest of my iron set. 

Other than that my gapping is pretty good throughout. The 50 is almost 100% full shots. I tend to use the 54 on full and all partial shots 110 and in and the 58 is used in bunkers and when i’m short sided (a lot lol)

• Like 1

10° Titleist TSI2 x Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S

17.5° PING G410 x Fujikura Ventus Red 7S

22° PXG 0317X Gen 2 Hybrid x Mitsubishi MMT 80S

Srixon z545 3 Iron x Nippon Modus 120S

Srixon z585 5 Iron x Nippon Modus 120S

Srixon z785 6-PW x Nippon Modus 120S

Wedges: Titleist SM8 50*12F, 54*12D, 58*8M

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Brandon Double Bend

IG: @matt.golfs

I recently posted a similar topic. The jist was that I’ve always had 4 degree gaps throughout my irons n wedges, but I’m thinking about smaller gaps from 3-7 and bigger from 8-gw just because I’m comfortable with partial shots from 8-gw. 

also, I love my home course but it just doesn’t require a lot of variety at the top of my bag while the courses I play in Florida require a lot of variety...

Home Bag:

10.5 driver

17 wood

20.5 hybrid

22* 4 iron With 4* gap through 46* pw

50* wedge

55* wedge

60* wedge

I have recently started testing different options closer to top end of bag, the spot between 15 degree 3 wood (very comfortable with and not replacing anytime soon) and my lowest lofted iron (was a 4 iron, now 21* UT iron). I could care less what Crossfield or any other youTube golfer is playing, that spot in my bag has been hardest to nail down for me. Had never considered a driving/UT iron until a buddy asked me to hit a couple shots with a demo club. Was very surprised at immediate comfort level i had with it, and the solid feel off the face of the Cally X forged UT. Ended up putting one in the bag with very good results, and has me now looking at putting a graphite shaft in one to see if it will be better than hybrid. A comfort level with your equipment is always good, but being open to changing bag set up can be good (if it leads to better scores of course).

• Like 1

Titleist TsR3 10* w/Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6s

Callaway Epic Flash sz 15* /Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7s

Titleist Tsi2 hybrid 18* /GD Tour AD IZ 85x

Titleist T-100s 4-GW /PX Lz 6.0

Titleist SM9 54-12d, 60-10s /PX Lz 6.0

Bettinardi BBzero

Im starting the year with Crossfield’s basic premise.

10 - Driver

15.75 - 3w

18 - 5w

19 - hyb

22 - hyb

26 - hyb

27 - GI 6i

32 - 7i

37 - 8i

42 - 9i

47 - PW

Gaps between 6i - 26 hyb - 22 hyb - 18 FW all good based on either differences in head design, shaft length, or both.  The 3w is essentially tee only for me.

The 19 hyb is a bit of a specialty club: tee, trouble, stinger.  It is likely first club pulled for a 56 SW with different bounce than the 58 when required by bunker conditions.

Edited by Aviador Naval
  • Like 1

TSi3 10

TS2 16.5 & 21

G425 22 & 26

ZX7 6i - PW

Vokey 54F-14, 58K-12

Spider X

What top end gapping did crossfield say was detrimental? Smaller gaps in the wedges is always a smarter idea. 

Driver-3w-3h-4i

270-250-225-205

Now tell me why I need any differences in gapping? If I'm 210 or longer on a par 3 or 2nd into a par 5 then I'm just trying to hit the green or miss it somewhere I can get up and down with little stress.

Overlap in my wedges (46-50-54-60) allows for multiple shots from different yardages and better spin control. I hit way more shots from 115-120 close after putting the 50 wedge in the bag. 

I think more people having bunching at the top end than they have bunching at the bottom end.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

What top end gapping did crossfield say was detrimental? Smaller gaps in the wedges is always a smarter idea. 

Driver-3w-3h-4i

270-250-225-205

Now tell me why I need any differences in gapping? If I'm 210 or longer on a par 3 or 2nd into a par 5 then I'm just trying to hit the green or miss it somewhere I can get up and down with little stress.

Overlap in my wedges (46-50-54-60) allows for multiple shots from different yardages and better spin control. I hit way more shots from 115-120 close after putting the 50 wedge in the bag. 

I think more people having bunching at the top end than they have bunching at the bottom end.

I agree. Especially with stronger and stronger iron lofts the need for more wedges becomes even clearer. For me, having more clubs in shorter distances translates directly to having more of those "perfect yardages" where you basically know you cannot miss by more than a few yards. Wedges currently at 46-49-53-58.  

Yardages in my top-end look quite similar to yours. Personally I like hybrids a lot, and by using both 3 and 4 hybrids my gapping feels spot on and I never really feel like missing a club there.

Driver - 3w - 3h - 4h - 5i

280 - 255 - 230 - 215 - 200

27 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

Driver-3w-3h-4i

270-250-225-205

Crossfield ended up removing a wedge and adding a club at the top.  I think he is at 52 and 58.

Scanning the thread, many have taken a similar approach as me - 200/210 is the yardage where we are not expecting to hit a green, but are expecting to get it close.

10 minutes ago, lordemsworth said:

Crossfield ended up removing a wedge and adding a club at the top.  I think he is at 52 and 58.

Scanning the thread, many have taken a similar approach as me - 200/210 is the yardage where we are not expecting to hit a green, but are expecting to get it close.

There's a little bit of individual preference on gapping. If one is comfortable hitting a half wedge instead of a fuller less lofted wedge then go ahead. 

But I'm more likely to get 115 than 215. And again, I want 115 to be a solid birdie opportunity. 215 on a par 3 is hit the green and get the heck out of dodge with a 2 putt par. 210-255 is not scoring range. 135 and under is scoring range every single time.

1 hour ago, getitdaily said:

Driver-3w-3h-4i

270-250-225-205

Here is the YouTube clip he did walking us through his setup. I've watched a few of his playing vlogs and he has a solid short game. He has commented multiple times that he doesn't feel like he is losing anything playing 46/52/58 vs his old setup which was an extra wedge, something like 46/50/56/60. YMMV of course. 

re 

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

I messed around last year with Shot Scope but didn't like wearing a watch so I've scored a Gen 2 Arccos (no BS subsciption fee) to get some insight into GIR % with the long end, what clubs are working better, where the gaps are, and what I actually need to hit. I don't think Crossfield's model necessarily works for all players because it's very dependent on what course you're on. For tournaments and match play I play my home track at 7100 but men's league we have to play it at 6700. The latter forces me to hit less than driver a lot so having a top heavy bag is nice, the former is all about driver wedge. Our course is Par 71 and we only have 3 par 5s. 2/3 I can easily reach with a 200-225 second shot if I get my drive running out to 320-330. The last is a weird one with a pond that cuts off the fairways so it's usually 3w - 3w. I don't even think Bryson could carry the Pond so it really creates a tough hole that I usually play in 3 shots. What I do know is that I lose shots to pros on par 5s. Essentially if capitalize I break par, if I don't then I don't. Generally I end up shooting 2-3 over par and I will have been even on the Par 5s. It's a big weakness for me. The rounds I have played the par 5s quite well I'll shot mid to high 60s. 

My current bag is                                 Thoughts

Driver - 290-300 carry

3w - 260 carry                                      -- Strengthen 3w? 

18 degree hyb - 240 carry                   -- 5W? Add height?

4i - 230 carry

5i - 215 carry

6i - 200 carry

7i - 185 carry

8i - 172 carry

9i - 160 carry

Pw - 145 carry

51 - 130 carry

56 - 110 carry

60 - 100 carry

I'm on the fence about whether putting the driving iron in full time would be worth going 47-52-58. I use my wedges a lot on my course so I don't know if it's worth dropping one. I'm great at hitting numbers with my wedges too but I'm not sure what is worth it in the top end to justify. 

• Like 1

Driver 7.5*
Hybrid 16*
2 iron 17* (optional/swapped)

3Hybrid 20* (optional/Swapped)

4Hybrid 23* 

5-PW (set irons) PW 46*

GW 51*

SW 55*
LW 60*

putter 

I have been thinking of keeping the 2 iron in the bag with the 3hybrid and going 46* 51* 57* 🤔 my 60* is just for flops really, I tend to chip with the 51* or 55*. I like lower bounce wedges, so my highest bounce in 7*, so I don’t need a dedicated sand and dedicated green side club. 

• Like 1

I have done both extremes over the years. For a long time I carried four woods (Driver, 13.5, 16.5, 21.0) and then went straight into irons. Last year I went Driver, 15.0, 21.0 and added a wedge. 

This year I am planning what you see in my signature, but just not sure if I'll go 5W or 7W. I like distance gaps at the top of my bag of about 30 yards from driver to 3W, about 20 yards between 3W/5-7W/4i and then 12-15 between irons, then expanding out to more like 20 again with the wedges. 

Titleist TSR3 08.75 – AD DI 65x

Titleist TSR2 14.50 – AD DI 75x

Titleist TSR2 17.25 – AD DI 85x

Titleist TSR2 21.00 – AD DI 95x

Titleist T150 4i-6i – X100 Tour

Titleist T100 7i-9i – X100 Tour

Titleist SM09 Pw-Lw – S400 Tour

Titleist Pro V1 – White Hot OG5

Still playing with my bag setup. 

I just got a newer driver and 3/5 woods. I am also still working on my swing so my yardages are short.

4i = not sure, gets here Friday

3i = about 180

4h = about 180

3h = about 190ish

5w = also about 190ish (but I have hit it 200 a couple times now)

3w = 210ish

I am more accurate with the hybrids but I have only had these fairway woods for a week. I need to shorten the 3i a little but I am waiting on the 4i.

I will likely keep the 4h as it seems to be reliable both off the deck and tee. But I also found my old Ping 2i so I might put that in the bag for fun.

I had bought an AW and 60 wedge trying to tidy up my low end gaps and it seems I don't use either. If I am less than 40 yards out, it's my 56, otherwise it's my PW with a partial swing.

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

All of this completely varies with the player, specifically how they hit wedges.  I play with an "iron set" approach wedge, then 52/58.  That's not many wedges, but I've had the wedge-style ones literally forever and I feel very comfortable with it.  Put the extra clubs where you need the help e.g. where your ball striking is the weakest.  Its just that simple.

I do, however, question these yardages as multiple people are claiming they are within 30 yards of their driver with their off-the-ground 3 wood and that means that either your driver swing is as steep as a climbing wall, you are horribly misfit, or you are drastically overestimating how far you "probably" carry a 3 wood.  Carrying a 3 wood 250 yards off the ground is some serious lumber, especially if you can only hit a driver off a tee 20 yards further.

GIGO.  Garbage In Garbage Out.  If you don't know your actual yardage, this is pointless.  Don't just work back from driver carry.

Edit - Before I get a million "He could have played division one baseball!! You don't know!!" let me be clear I have no idea if its off low or long.  But I do know it is really weird to carry your 3 wood within 20-30 yards of your driver.  One of those numbers is off.  I'm not saying which one, or that people are lying, or any of that.  But I am saying that it is hard to believe someone hits 100 drivers on a trackman, then hits 100 6* weaker 3 woods off a trackman, and only loses 20-30 yards.

Edited by pinestreetgolf
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

1 hour ago, getitdaily said:

Smaller gaps in the wedges is always a smarter idea.

I don't agree.  It might be always smarter for you, but I've found it to be pointless for me.  A healthy part of that is that I don't hit many full shots with my wedges, especially once I get above 52/53.  

I've gone with 5* gaps at moment, 48/53/58, works quite splendidly for me <shrug>

9 hours ago, lordemsworth said:

top of the bag gapping

My current plan is Driver, fairway in the 14* to 16* range, then 2i at 18* leading to 3-PW at 21* to 49*.  I have substitution options (hybrids) for the fairway and/or 2 iron.

I also play old school sets where the lofts are similar but the club numbers are a bit different (1i and 2i at top, 1i sometimes swapped out, etc).  And the woods may be actual wood.  🙂

I play a course that's on the short side, and as a mildly long hitter that's aging to something less than that, the 3w shot just doesn't come up often, unless I'm playing retro golf.  Even then, not so much.  Combining that with my preference in heavier shafts leads me to hybrids in place of fairway wood at that end of the bag.

While not long, my course has a couple longish par 3s on the back that play into prevailing wind.  Having that hybrid at the top is more helpful than a 3w, so I've found, for those instances the wind is robust.

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

3 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

I don't agree.  It might be always smarter for you, but I've found it to be pointless for me.  A healthy part of that is that I don't hit many full shots with my wedges, especially once I get above 52/53.  

I've gone with 5* gaps at moment, 48/53/58, works quite splendidly for me <shrug>

My current plan is Driver, fairway in the 14* to 16* range, then 2i at 18* leading to 3-PW at 21* to 49*.  I have substitution options (hybrids) for the fairway and/or 2 iron.

I also play old school sets where the lofts are similar but the club numbers are a bit different (1i and 2i at top, 1i sometimes swapped out, etc).  And the woods may be actual wood.  🙂

I play a course that's on the short side, and as a mildly long hitter that's aging to something less than that, the 3w shot just doesn't come up often, unless I'm playing retro golf.  Even then, not so much.  Combining that with my preference in heavier shafts leads me to hybrids in place of fairway wood at that end of the bag.

While not long, my course has a couple longish par 3s on the back that play into prevailing wind.  Having that hybrid at the top is more helpful than a 3w, so I've found, for those instances the wind is robust.

You disagreed but your setup agrees with me. You don't go 46 or 48/56/60. You've setup your wedges at 5 degree gaps. That's exactly what I'm advocating. On the cover, it appears you don't have a giant hole in your wedge gapping. Before I added the 50 I had 46/54 and had a really big gap from 110-120. That yardage gave me fits. 110 was a super spinny 54 that rarely got close. 110 with a 46 pw was not reliable to get close. 

You get your lower end gaps right with 3 wedges whereas I do it with 4. But the principles are exactly the same...no big yardage gap on the lower end.

3 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

You disagreed but your setup agrees with me. You don't go 46 or 48/56/60. You've setup your wedges at 5 degree gaps. That's exactly what I'm advocating. On the cover, it appears you don't have a giant hole in your wedge gapping. Before I added the 50 I had 46/54 and had a really big gap from 110-120. That yardage gave me fits. 110 was a super spinny 54 that rarely got close. 110 with a 46 pw was not reliable to get close. 

You get your lower end gaps right with 3 wedges whereas I do it with 4. But the principles are exactly the same...no big yardage gap on the lower end.

Good players care about yardage and trajectory.  Bad players care about loft gaps.

You have no idea if he does or doesn't have a "hole" (<- what does this even mean?) in his wedge gapping.  You've never seen him hit a wedge.

Two of the best wedge players of all time are Tom Kite and Bo Van Pelt, on either tour.  Kite played even gaps through five wedges.  Bo Van Pelt played a 47* into a 56*.

Its up to the player to develop *shots* that gap.  All this theorycrafting lofts into gaps into shots on here is nuts.

Edited by pinestreetgolf
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

2 minutes ago, pinestreetgolf said:

Good players care about yardage and trajectory.  Bad players care about loft gaps.

They're not mutually exclusive. It's onto care about both. It's about what allows you to hit it close under 140 yards. 

Or in my case, what allows me to hit it close enough under 140 to miss putts and cycle through putters, trying to find the one that solves my mental shortcomings on the green...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1