2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Fitting Dilemma

dixiethunder

Short version:

I have a free fitting coming up and not sure which part of the bag to get fit for.

Longer version:

Next week I'm heading to Pinehurst for a few days and as part of the package we got is a Titleist fitting along with $200 credit towards a club from that fitting. You can choose either Driver, Fairway/Hybrid, Irons, or Wedges. I'm not sure what to pick so figured this might be a good place to get some opinions. Little background about me, I'm a 13 handicap and trending downward, I've been playing for 20+ years and have been fit before so I generally know what I like and don't but was not fit for my current irons. My first inclination was to get fit for irons because I am pretty sure I want a new set this year BUT I really haven't loved the Titleist irons i've hit at recent demo days so not sure that is the right move. Second, I'd love to hit the new driver but I upgraded driver last year (Cobra SZ Extreme) and find it very hard to believe I'd get much more out of a new driver because I've been hitting mine really well, but a possibility. Fairway/Hybrid is not an area I've upgraded for a while, not clubs I use a ton but probably makes the most sense, just not as eager to drop credit/cash on either. Wedge fitting is intriguing as I've only had a wedge fitting done as part of a larger bag fitting and if its outside that could be really interested but I don't know enough about how they do wedge fittings to know if its worth it. Thoughts from anyone who has been in a similar situation? I realize it is a good problem to have, just want to make sure I allocate the time and the $200 credit appropriately. 

Cobra LTDx Aldila NV 75 

TaylorMade Stealth Fairway 3HL FUJIKURA VISTA PRO 21 65S

Cobra LTDx 4 Hybrid 20* KBS PGI 85

Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 5-GW Project X LZ 6.0

Titleist SM9 55*/60*
Bobby Grace F-18

1 hour ago, dixiethunder said:

Short version:

I have a free fitting coming up and not sure which part of the bag to get fit for.

Longer version:

Next week I'm heading to Pinehurst for a few days and as part of the package we got is a Titleist fitting along with $200 credit towards a club from that fitting. You can choose either Driver, Fairway/Hybrid, Irons, or Wedges. I'm not sure what to pick so figured this might be a good place to get some opinions. Little background about me, I'm a 13 handicap and trending downward, I've been playing for 20+ years and have been fit before so I generally know what I like and don't but was not fit for my current irons. My first inclination was to get fit for irons because I am pretty sure I want a new set this year BUT I really haven't loved the Titleist irons i've hit at recent demo days so not sure that is the right move. Second, I'd love to hit the new driver but I upgraded driver last year (Cobra SZ Extreme) and find it very hard to believe I'd get much more out of a new driver because I've been hitting mine really well, but a possibility. Fairway/Hybrid is not an area I've upgraded for a while, not clubs I use a ton but probably makes the most sense, just not as eager to drop credit/cash on either. Wedge fitting is intriguing as I've only had a wedge fitting done as part of a larger bag fitting and if its outside that could be really interested but I don't know enough about how they do wedge fittings to know if its worth it. Thoughts from anyone who has been in a similar situation? I realize it is a good problem to have, just want to make sure I allocate the time and the $200 credit appropriately. 

Definitely sounds like a good problem to have! Plus its all at Pinehurst... so enjoy!

As it relates to picking which fit to take advantage of, here's my 2cents:

- I usually find that you get the most bang for your buck working through your bag from the two ends and working inward.

- If you're already getting sufficient yardage from the SZ driver and finding more fairways than you're missing, you're probably good there.

- Have you ever been through a full putter fit? Given how many strokes you use the flat stick over the course of the round it can be eye opening what a optimally fit putter can do for your scores.

- From there, I'd agree with Chris that a wedge fit could be very beneficial to you. Getting properly fit wedge lofts, grinds, etc. to improve all of your "scoring" shots is great bang for your buck -> plus hard to argue with the quality / performance of Vokeys!

- From your description, it doesn't sound like you hit your fairways/hybrids/long-irons all that often. Is that a function of your course management OR a function of you not having confidence hitting a fairway wood / hybrid / long-iron? If its the latter, this could also be a good option for you. IMO, Titleist has been making some of the best fairway woods / hybrids / long irons (u500/u510) for a long time (its only recently that their drivers caught up to the pack with TS/TSi). I don't know what your stock distances look like, but to the extent you find that your game / scores could benefit from having stock shots you can reliably hit 200-260yrds that would enable you to start going for the par 5 greens in 2, or eliminating the OB miss by hitting the trusty fairway/hybrid/long-iron off the tee on those tight par 4s, etc.  could also be very beneficial.

- I'm notoriously slow to swap out iron sets - so trust your gut re: look/feel/performance. If Titleist's current stable of iron models doesn't float your boat, I'd focus elsewhere. It's hard to feel supremely confident in a shot standing over an iron you don't love the look of at address. "Look good, feel good, play good"! Slight pivot: what's your current set of gamer irons and what are you looking for in your next set? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, eth4and said:

Slight pivot: what's your current set of gamer irons and what are you looking for in your next set? 

Good thoughts thank you! I have it narrowed down to wedge or fairway wood at this point I think.

Currently playing the Rogue Pro, I got them in a trade, they are fine but I don't care for the feel. I like the distance but the feel is just off in my opinion. I wasn't fit for them but I did use specs I was fit into so they are pretty close. 

Cobra LTDx Aldila NV 75 

Titleist SM9 55*/60*
Bobby Grace F-18

11 hours ago, dixiethunder said:

Good thoughts thank you! I have it narrowed down to wedge or fairway wood at this point I think.

Currently playing the Rogue Pro, I got them in a trade, they are fine but I don't care for the feel. I like the distance but the feel is just off in my opinion. I wasn't fit for them but I did use specs I was fit into so they are pretty close. 

I think you'll be well served with either of those fittings - good luck & have fun! 

When it does come time for you to go for an iron fit, I'd encourage you to give serious consideration to Mizuno & Srixon's stuff

2 minutes ago, toc said:

Definitely wedge fitting, especially if it's outdoors and you can take some different grinds over to a bunker.

I agree with this. If its outside, I'd do wedges. I was in the same boat and always messed and finally got a chance to hit Vokey wedges at an outdoor demo day. It was mind blowing for me to get 'fit'  for grind off grass. The S grind was an absolute eye opener for me and has been one of the best additions to my game in the last 5 years. 

Ping G430LST 10.5' - Ventus Blue 6S
Srixon ZX 15' - HZDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Ping G 3 Hybrid

Ping G 430 4 Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 MK2 5, ZX7 MK2 6-GW - Nippon Modus 105S
Titleist SM9 54' and 58' - S Grind
Cleveland HB Soft 11S

9 hours ago, eth4and said:

When it does come time for you to go for an iron fit, I'd encourage you to give serious consideration to Mizuno & Srixon's stuff

Srixon is what I have my eye on, just need to find somewhere to hit them but those ZX5s are calling me.

9 hours ago, XHoop24 said:

I agree with this. If its outside, I'd do wedges. I was in the same boat and always messed and finally got a chance to hit Vokey wedges at an outdoor demo day. It was mind blowing for me to get 'fit'  for grind off grass. The S grind was an absolute eye opener for me and has been one of the best additions to my game in the last 5 years. 

Yep, if wedge fitting is outside, I think its definitely the right call, if for some reason off mats, my slide back to fairway. 

Cobra LTDx Aldila NV 75 

Titleist SM9 55*/60*
Bobby Grace F-18

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/10/2021 at 9:50 AM, dixiethunder said:

Next week I'm heading to Pinehurst for a few days and as part of the package we got is a Titleist fitting along with $200 credit towards a club from that fitting.

How did the trip/fitting go? I’ve got the same thing coming up the 2nd weekend of March. I’m about the same handicap you are (14.5 GHIN). I like my driver, don’t wanna swap irons just yet, so I was thinking maybe 3W/5W fitting or wedge fitting. I like my 3W a lot and I can really hammer it so I’m hesitant to change it, but I don’t have a 5W in the bag. I just got a Vokkey SM8 wedge for my 56 and really like it but my 52 and 60 are rather old/worn.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple D w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 70TX @45.25

3W: Taylormade M2 15* w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 80X.

5W: Taylormade M6 18* w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 90 TX.

Irons: Miura Retro Tournament blades 3i, 4i, and 7i. Miura MB-001 5i, 6i, 8i-PW. 3i with MMT 125TX. 4i-PW are Oak doweled, DG X100 Tiger Stepped 1/4”

lofts: 3i: 20* 4i: 24* 5i: 28* 6i: 32* 7i: 36* 8i: 40* 9i: 44* PW: 48*

Wedges: Fourteen RM4 56* DG X7, Miura 59* At 61* DG X7

Putter: Taylormade Spider

Grips: Golf pride MCC+4.

Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV

8 hours ago, bnperrone said:

The wedge fitting would be the hardest to replicate somewhere else. I'd recommend that to anybody.

I have to agree, I was lucky to have Brian do my wedge fitting and it turned out really well. They have a small chipping green to the side of the learning center and we went over there and hit a number of different shots so he could get a feel for what I was looking for. He got me dialed in and I'm hopeful I've found my new SW for the foreseeable future. I knew I wanted to go raw so that opened up all the customization goodies and uses up the full value of the voucher. As an added bonus, the guys after my were running late so he put together a few of the new fairways for me to try out. I put them against my current 6 year old gamer and didn't see enough difference for it to matter but it was nice to see numbers to prove that. Overall, I was very impressed with my fitting. 

Cobra LTDx Aldila NV 75 

Titleist SM9 55*/60*
Bobby Grace F-18