Maxfli Tour balls

SkrappyHacker1

Would have been early 2000’s.  I played the revolution some in high school but I’m pretty sure it was a solid core.

Taylormade M3 9*  KBS TD Cat4

Taylormade M3 4HL Hzrdus Yellow 63g

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tours 3-PW Project X 6.0's

Cleveland RTX4 Raw 50/54/58 Project X 7.0's

Byron Morgan Stainless DH89 w/ Stability Tour / / Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2 

Bridgestone Tour B XS 

These?

https://www.golfwrx.com/595236/remember-these-great-golf-balls-of-years-past/

Maxfli Revolution Solid

Maxfli-Revolution-Solid-Ball-300x204.png

Introduced in the early 2000s to compete with the Pro V1, the Maxfli Revolution Solid was engineered to provide improved distance without sacrificing approach or around-the-green spin. It was a three-piece ball that featured an oversized core and urethane cover. What also made the Maxfli Revolution interesting is that its main endorser was none other than Jack Nicklaus.

Edited by wayne18

TaylorMade Sim Max 10.5* 
Titleist 818 H1   21*
Titleist T100s (2021) 5-GW TT AMT Black s300

Titleist SM8 54*- 58* TT AMT Black s300

Odyssey White Ice #2
Maxfli Tour

4 hours ago, wayne18 said:

These?

Maxfli Revolution Solid

Introduced in the early 2000s to compete with the Pro V1, the Maxfli Revolution Solid was engineered to provide improved distance without sacrificing approach or around-the-green spin. It was a three-piece ball that featured an oversized core and urethane cover. What also made the Maxfli Revolution interesting is that its main endorser was none other than Jack Nicklaus.

The Maxfli Rev Solid were junk.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Went and picked up 2 dozen Maxfli tour for $60 at Dicks 

Matte white

They had yellow, which I normally play but I liked the look of the Matte White

Only played a few holes so far, but they do stop as well as the Z-Star on the greens

I have some Z-Stars left over from the Father's Day deal so they will be going head to head with them

I normally play the Snell Black or the Z-Stars when they have a deal.

As far a durability, I nailed a tree on the 1st hole with the 1st tee shot and the ball did not have a mark on it.

So far so good.  Maybe a little shorter than the Z-Star but I need more testing

The real test will be into the wind.

Tough to beat the Snell and Z-Star or the Snell in the wind

Will report back 

Driver -COBRA FLY-Z 9.5*

5 Wood - PING G400 17.5*

Hybrid  PING G400 22*

Irons - PING G400 5-UW

Wedges - Cleveland Zipcore CBX 54* ; Cleveland CBX2 Full Face 58*

Putter - PXG Battle Ready Spitfire-34in

Ball- Snell- Black

18 minutes ago, scott406 said:

Went and picked up 2 dozen Maxfli tour for $60 at Dicks 

Matte white

They had yellow, which I normally play but I liked the look of the Matte White

Only played a few holes so far, but they do stop as well as the Z-Star on the greens

I have some Z-Stars left over from the Father's Day deal so they will be going head to head with them

I normally play the Snell Black or the Z-Stars when they have a deal.

As far a durability, I nailed a tree on the 1st hole with the 1st tee shot and the ball did not have a mark on it.

So far so good.  Maybe a little shorter than the Z-Star but I need more testing

The real test will be into the wind.

Tough to beat the Snell and Z-Star or the Snell in the wind

Will report back 

FYI - They are still blowing out the 2019 versions online at 2 for $45.  Looks like only yellow, matte white, matte green are left.   

4 hours ago, cardigan said:

FYI - They are still blowing out the 2019 versions online at 2 for $45.  Looks like only yellow, matte white, matte green are left.   

What is the difference between the 2019 and 2021?

The Tour ball not the X

Besides the color choices

Driver -COBRA FLY-Z 9.5*

5 Wood - PING G400 17.5*

Hybrid  PING G400 22*

Irons - PING G400 5-UW

Wedges - Cleveland Zipcore CBX 54* ; Cleveland CBX2 Full Face 58*

Putter - PXG Battle Ready Spitfire-34in

Ball- Snell- Black

On 10/24/2021 at 8:46 AM, Phabs said:

Would have been early 2000’s.  I played the revolution some in high school but I’m pretty sure it was a solid core.

The original Maxfli Revolution was a solid inner core with rubber windings and urethane cover. It was a GREAT ball when released and I played it until the Pro V1 was released. I remember speaking with Callaway when they were getting into the ball business, that they were using it as the benchmark for its Rule 35 golf ball. In their independent testing they found it outperformed everything on the market. The Revolution Solid was the answer to the Pro V1 and was not good.

• Like 4

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Aldila Quaranta Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Grafalloy Pro lite 3.5 Reg
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Graffaloy Pro Lite 3.5 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Aldila NVS 85 Reg
PXG Gen 3 0311XP 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Reg

Ping Tour-S Raw 56* @ 55, 60* KBS Tour 90 Wrx combo grind
Evnroll ER8 33”

On 10/24/2021 at 9:25 AM, wayne18 said:

These?

Maxfli Revolution Solid

Annika won a bunch of tournaments with it too.

Evnroll ER8 33”

On 11/15/2021 at 2:36 PM, hammergolf said:

The original Maxfli Revolution was a solid inner core with rubber windings and urethane cover. It was a GREAT ball when released and I played it until the Pro V1 was released. I remember speaking with Callaway when they were getting into the ball business, that they were using it as the benchmark for its Rule 35 golf ball. In their independent testing they found it outperformed everything on the market. The Revolution Solid was the answer to the Pro V1 and was not good.

The Rev Solid was really the Maxfli response to the public pseudo-hysteria around the word "wound."  Thanks to media and marketing, golfers came to believe if there were *any* windings in a ball, it was somehow vastly inferior.

Ironically, the ball tests didn't show that, but why let facts get in the way of a story.  LOL  (edit:  ball test comment intended to compare the original Revolution, not the Solid.  clever me)

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 3

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: Original One 11.5* (tuned down), NV75 X -or- SpeedZone 10.5*, Aldila ProtoPype 80S, <44" TBD

3w: King LTD, Aldila RIP Beta 90 X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 X
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour 2h or 3h, NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4; 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; PM Grind 19 58* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional, TaylorMade TP5, Chrome Soft custom TruVis

GripMaster Roo or Kidd leather grips

5 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

The Rev Solid was really the Maxfli response to the public pseudo-hysteria around the word "wound."  Thanks to media and marketing, golfers came to believe if there were *any* windings in a ball, it was somehow vastly inferior.

Ironically, the ball tests didn't show that, but why let facts get in the way of a story.  LOL

It’s funny you say that, I remember reading Golfweek magazine during that time and seeing two Titleist ads a few pages apart. One showed the Tour Prestige with the words “The leader in wound ball technology” and a few pages later the exact same ad showing the Pro V1 with the words “The leader in solid core technology”. It never got the credit, but the Nike Tour Accuracy (made by Bridgestone) was the solid core ball that changed the game and brought on the Pro V1 phenomenon.

Edited by hammergolf
  • Like 1

Evnroll ER8 33”

7 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

It’s funny you say that, I remember reading Golfweek magazine during that time and seeing two Titleist ads a few pages apart. One showed the Tour Prestige with the words “The leader in wound ball technology” and a few pages later the exact same ad showing the Pro V1 with the words “The leader in solid core technology”. It never got the credit, but the Nike Tour Accuracy (made by Bridgestone) was the solid core ball that changed the game and brought on the Pro V1 phenomenon.

I think the ball that changed the game was really the Strata.  Spalding just didn't have the money, so they don't get the credit.  🙂

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 2

Driver: Original One 11.5* (tuned down), NV75 X -or- SpeedZone 10.5*, Aldila ProtoPype 80S, <44" TBD

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4; 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; PM Grind 19 58* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34"

2 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

I think the ball that changed the game was really the Strata.  Spalding just didn't have the money.  🙂

It was a good one. I was an early adopter of solid core. I played the Spalding Tour Edition and loved it. In fact made a hole in one and won a Jeep while playing that ball. Then went to the Strata, but It was short for me. It was definitely the first multi layer ball but yes Spalding was definitely ahead of everyone else in technology and design.

• Like 2

Evnroll ER8 33”

I used to play the Spalding Tour Edition, but I thought it was a wound ball. According to this article, it was introduced in 1986.

https://www.nytimes.com/1986/02/16/business/in-pursuit-of-the-perfect-golf-ball.html

Sub 70 849 Pro 10.5° (Adjusted to 8.5°) - ProForce V2 Black 6F4 S
Sub 70 949X 4 wood - ProForce V2 Black 7F4 S

Bridgestone Tour B XD-H 2 hybrid - KBS Graphite Tour Prototype 85S
Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S

2015 OnOff Kuro Forged 4-PW - Fujikura Pro Iron 95i Tour S

Nike VR Pro 52°-10° - Fujikura Pro Iron 95i Tour S
Nike VR Pro 56°-14° - Fujikura Pro Iron 95i Tour S
Nike VR Pro 58° DS - Fujikura Pro Iron 95i Tour S
Grips - Number One 50 Pro Series

Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport (1996) - KBS black CT Tour, Iomic Black Army
MaxFli Tour (Yellow)

13 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

Ironically, the ball tests didn't show that, but why let facts get in the way of a story.  LOL

Well the Rev Solid didn't sell much. Many that played it like myself thought it was absolute junk. The Rev Solid was a huge drop off from the Rev Wound. Wasn't even close. IIRC the Rev Solid was around for a year or so at most and was summarily replaced by the vastly better A10 ball in late 2001 or early 2002 which was replaced in 2003. The Rule 35 Red/Blue Callaway multi-layer solid core balls released in 2000 were also much better than the Rev Solid. The Rev Solid was one of the few missteps Maxfli made back in those days.

Edited by grm24

9 hours ago, grm24 said:

Well the Rev Solid didn't sell much. Many that played it like myself thought it was absolute junk. The Rev Solid was a huge drop off from the Rev Wound. Wasn't even close. IIRC the Rev Solid was around for a year or so at most and was summarily replaced by the vastly better A10 ball in late 2001 or early 2002 which was replaced in 2003. The Rule 35 Red/Blue Callaway multi-layer solid core balls released in 2000 were also much better than the Rev Solid. The Rev Solid was one of the few missteps Maxfli made back in those days.

I feel the same as you about the Rev Solid.  I tried them and was completely underwhelmed. 

edit:  re-reading it, my earlier post looked like I was defending the Rev Solid with the Ball Test comment.  I meant to compare to the original Rev, not the solid.  Bad me, no treat.

The A10, much better.  Same with the M3 Red and M3 Black.  Played those for quite a while.

They did much better with the Black Max.  🙂

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Ger21 said:

I used to play the Spalding Tour Edition, but I thought it was a wound ball. According to this article, it was introduced in 1986.

https://www.nytimes.com/1986/02/16/business/in-pursuit-of-the-perfect-golf-ball.html

I must be in the minority about the Tour Edition, I found it to be incredibly short, especially off the driver. I remember Greg Norman quit using it for that reason.

• Like 1

Cleveland Classic XL Driver
KE4 5 wood 17* 43”
Maltby MXU 23* 
Maltby Tricept TU 5 Iron
Wilson Pi5 6-PW
Wilson JP 55* SW
Ram Watson Troon Grind 58
Ray Cook M2 Mallet

9 hours ago, grm24 said:

The A10 is still the softest feeling ball I have ever hit.

• Like 1

Ping G410 Plus 12°/Xcaliber SL55, Maltby KE4 TC 5w/Xcaliber SL FW r flex, Maltby KE4 HyWay 21°/Xcaliber SL r flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 4h/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Maltby TSW 54° and 58°/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

5 minutes ago, Bad9 said:

The A10 is still the softest feeling ball I have ever hit.

I used to think that about the A10, the M3 Black, the original Revolution....   then I happened across a stash of HT-100s, they were being cleared out by 2nd Swing.  Apparently they'd gotten hold of a bunch of relatively recently produced HT's that were still being manufactured in Japan, well after production had stopped here in the USA.

This was within the last 8 years or so.  Then I found someone on ebay who was selling some of the same stash.

I played four dozen of them exclusively, until I got to the last dozen and decided to spare them for classic-only golf.  An amazing golf ball.  Not short, stupid good in the wind.

These HT were far softer than the Revolution.  Completely spoiled me, and it's a fair portion of the reason why I play the Duo Pro now.

The way some folks talk about balata, wishing they could still get their hands on some, is how I feel about the HT.  <shrug>

Edited by NRJyzr

2 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

I used to think that about the A10, the M3 Black, the original Revolution....   then I happened across a stash of HT-100s, they were being cleared out by 2nd Swing.  Apparently they'd gotten hold of a bunch of relatively recently produced HT's that were still being manufactured in Japan, well after production had stopped here in the USA.

This was within the last 8 years or so.  Then I found someone on ebay who was selling some of the same stash.

I played four dozen of them exclusively, until I got to the last dozen and decided to spare them for classic-only golf.  An amazing golf ball.  Not short, stupid good in the wind.

These HT were far softer than the Revolution.  Completely spoiled me, and it's a fair portion of the reason why I play the Duo Pro now.

The way some folks talk about balata, wishing they could still get their hands on some, is how I feel about the HT.  <shrug>

I play the Duo Pro as well but don't think it was as soft as the A10. Of course the A10 is firmly seen behind the mists of time and rose coloured glasses.

• Like 1

Ping G410 Plus 12°/Xcaliber SL55, Maltby KE4 TC 5w/Xcaliber SL FW r flex, Maltby KE4 HyWay 21°/Xcaliber SL r flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 4h/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Maltby TSW 54° and 58°/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

22 minutes ago, deepred said:

I must be in the minority about the Tour Edition, I found it to be incredibly short, especially off the driver

I was young back then, and had plenty of distance. 250-260 was long back then.

• Like 1

MaxFli Tour (Yellow)

18 minutes ago, Bad9 said:

I play the Duo Pro as well but don't think it was as soft as the A10. Of course the A10 is firmly seen behind the mists of time and rose coloured glasses.

I agree with you, it's not.  But in urethane ball terms, it's as close as we can get to wound balls.

4 hours ago, Kmagnuss said:

Do you guys actually use the alignment stripe on them when teeing off, or is it just a gimmick?

I bought 6 dozen btw... hopefully that will last me more than a few rounds.  🙂

I doubt that it makes any detectable difference.  I aim the alignment line towards the target off the tee anyways, regardless of the ball I'm using (haven't tried the 2021 Maxfli). 

If you paid 2 for $60 and it's convenient for you, I'd say return 4 dozen and then order the 48 pack for $104.98 online.

29 minutes ago, cardigan said:

I doubt that it makes any detectable difference.  I aim the alignment line towards the target off the tee anyways, regardless of the ball I'm using (haven't tried the 2021 Maxfli). 

If you paid 2 for $60 and it's convenient for you, I'd say return 4 dozen and then order the 48 pack for $104.98 online.

Thanks.  I got them 2 for $45 and had a GG gift card... ended up with 6 dozen lol.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Kmagnuss said:

Do you guys actually use the alignment stripe on them when teeing off, or is it just a gimmick?

I bought 6 dozen btw... hopefully that will last me more than a few rounds.  🙂

I do.  No clue if it works but as a placebo I feel it works (a little).  

Driver: PXG 0811x 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 Evolution IV 
Irons: Mizuno 921 Forged 4-PW, Recoils 95 F4*
Hybrids: PXG 0317X 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: Ping Vault 2.0 Ketcsh (solid black)  
Bag: Mizuno K1-LO white/staff blue (something new is coming, cant decide.)
Ball: Titleist Pro V1, Snell MTB-X, Maxfli Tour

9 hours ago, Kmagnuss said:

I probably should, but I haven't all summer while playing these.

I just bought 6 dozen more of the 2019 yellow, and now have 15 dozen to hold me over for a few years.

I don't like the bigger alignment lines on the new ones.

MaxFli Tour (Yellow)