2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

SIM 2 vs SIM 2 Max Driver

tomg1969

Has anybody hit both of these yet? Most of the online reviews seem to think that there isn't a difference between the two, but I have to believe the 8 gram difference in weights does something to launch and spin. I've even seen a few videos that show the SIM2 spinning and launching higher.

No one seems to have a strong opinion on the difference in forgiveness either, but the latest TXG live session seemed to show a bit of a difference.

I know that release date hasn't arrived yet, but thought I'd see if anyone has had a chance to compare either on a LM or the course.

Hit about 20 balls with each head. Not a big sample size. As the online reviews have said, there isn’t much difference between the two. Visually almost identical. Spin was about 100 to 200 rpm lower with the regular SIM. Ball flight was just slightly easier to work left to right. 

really liked both heads. Will need to hit a lot more balls to determine which is best for me. 

Went to my local golf store yesterday.  They let me pop in my Ventus Black.  Said they should be getting SIM 2 on Monday.  I like the regular SIM 2 over the MAX.  Launch 1 degree lower and 300 rpm less.  I'm a high launch/spin player so I gravitate towards head/shaft combo that ideally would give me 11-12 degrees of launch and 2000-2400 rpm of spin.  My current setup is launching a tad bit high atm. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

12 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

Went to my local golf store yesterday.  They let me pop in my Ventus Black.  Said they should be getting SIM 2 on Monday.  I like the regular SIM 2 over the MAX.  Launch 1 degree lower and 300 rpm less.  I'm a high launch/spin player so I gravitate towards head/shaft combo that ideally would give me 11-12 degrees of launch and 2000-2400 rpm of spin.  My current setup is launching a tad bit high atm. 

I'm currently playing a Sim Max 98 head with a Ventus Blue Velocore and it does launch a bit high. I'm leaning towards the SIm 2 but don't want to give up any significant forgiveness for 100-200 rpm spin.

21 minutes ago, prouse25 said:

Hit about 20 balls with each head. Not a big sample size. As the online reviews have said, there isn’t much difference between the two. Visually almost identical. Spin was about 100 to 200 rpm lower with the regular SIM. Ball flight was just slightly easier to work left to right. 

really liked both heads. Will need to hit a lot more balls to determine which is best for me. 

Are you a lefty or just prefer to play a fade?

7 hours ago, tomg1969 said:

I'm currently playing a Sim Max 98 head with a Ventus Blue Velocore and it does launch a bit high. I'm leaning towards the SIm 2 but don't want to give up any significant forgiveness for 100-200 rpm spin.

You know, I didn't find there to be a huge difference in forgiveness between the regular and MAX head.  I'm finding the center of the face more so lately than in the past so I'm looking for something that gives me the best numbers.  We all have our priorities. 

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

I’m assuming you saw it but Rick Shiels review had these as nearly identical.

Ping G430 LST 9* (Ventus TR Red 6X)

Ping G430 Max 3W (Ventus Blue 7X)

TM Qi10 5W (KBS TD70X)

TM P770 4-5i (KBS Tour X)

TM P7MC 6-8i (KBS Tour X)

TM P7MB 9i-PW (KBS Tour X)

TM MG4 Copper 50/55/60 (KBS $-Taper 120 Black)

Spider Tour X Single Bend (BGT Stability)

2 hours ago, rjp217 said:

I’m assuming you saw it but Rick Shiels review had these as nearly identical.

Yes, I watched his review as well as some others. Consensus seems to be that they are very similar.....that's why I posted. Was just wondering if anybody else had seen something different. The TXG clip that I watched yesterday, which I believe was Matt's second go around seemed to suggest that there was a little more difference than what they originally thought, although they never actually made the difference clear.

Not very sure about the version 2 of the SIM family, but I played the SIM MAX then switched to SIM later on (with the same shaft and specs). The SIM MAX is just a little too much spin when hitting some fades or cuts, and launched higher than preferred. On the other hand, the SIM had very a consistent spin number and penetrating ball flight. Forgiveness wise, really felt no difference at all. The SIM felt very forgiving and stable. So If you are looking for cutting down the spin number, then SIM or SIM 2 may worth looking.

Driver: Taylormade SIM, 8 degrees, VA Composite Drago 75 X-Stiff

3W: Taylormade M5 15 degrees, VA Composite Drago 75 X-Stiff

Hybrids: Titleist 915H (3-6)Project X 6.0 Flighted shafts

Irons: Bridgestone J40 (7-P), Project X 6.0 Flighted shafts

Wedges: Bridgestone J33 (50,56,60), Project X 6.0 Flighted shafts

Putter: Directed Force 2.1 Putter

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

I just returned from testing out SIM 2 for an hour on trackman vs my F9 . I was fit for F9 .. 10.5 cranked down to 9 ... hazrdus smoke  60g x stiff . SIM 2 with hazrdus smoke 70 g xstiff blew my F9 away as far as dispersion.  I gained 3mph club speed and 2 mph ball speed , but 9 more yards average carry , 10 yards total . I like to play a small pull fade . I found that toe strikes with the SIM still managed to cut a bit , where my driver I'd lose it left all day . SUPER forgiving driver in my opinion , and spin was pretty steady, averaged out 2400-2500 .  I didnt find the SIM 2 to be "low, low" spin .  My F9 spun a bit lower. 

On 2/10/2021 at 8:42 PM, phizzy30 said:

A tad bit high?

Most of the pros in ideal conditions hit 120ft to 140ft, so you’re not high.

8 hours ago, Brooks Cupcake said:

A tad bit high?

Most of the pros in ideal conditions hit 120ft to 140ft, so you’re not high.

Well, I like to see a lower ball flight.  My launch angle atm is 15 degrees.  Not ideal IMO due to the Santa Ana winds we get here especially during the winter.  I want to see it around 11-12 degrees at my ball speed. 

• Like 1

I had never been fit for a driver.  Always played off the rack.  Went in a for a fitting on a trackman last week and hit all the new heads.  Ended up fit for the SIM2 MAX.  Behind the ball you can't tell the difference between SIM2 and the SIM2 MAX.  For it just gave me the proper spin numbers.  For someone else, that may occur with the regular SIM.  To me, it's more about the shaft than anything.  As long as you like the shape of what you are looking down at and the sound...

• Like 2

I just had a fitting yesterday . Opted for the SIM 2 . The MAX i saw a bit of a left miss , more than with the SIM2. Dispersion wasn't any better than the SIM 2. Spin rates weren't that different either. I lost 5 yards total distance with MAX due to a 300 or so more of spin.  MAX head is slightly lighter than the SIM2 .  Swing speed stayed the same with both 104 -105 .. Ball speeds 151 to 155. The SIM 2 isn't a SUPER LOW SPIN driver as its being called. I I hit up around +3 to +5 and spin never got crazy low. Occasional 1950 spin ..but stead between 2000 to 2400.

• Like 2

On 2/15/2021 at 8:41 AM, SpacklersEdge said:

I had never been fit for a driver.  Always played off the rack.  Went in a for a fitting on a trackman last week and hit all the new heads.  Ended up fit for the SIM2 MAX.  Behind the ball you can't tell the difference between SIM2 and the SIM2 MAX.  For it just gave me the proper spin numbers.  For someone else, that may occur with the regular SIM.  To me, it's more about the shaft than anything.  As long as you like the shape of what you are looking down at and the sound...

Head will dictate more on launch and spin than shaft.  Yes, shaft will influence those numbers but not as much as you think.  I myself am going with the SIM 2, 8 degree.  My current gamer is launching a touch too high. 

5 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

Head will dictate more on launch and spin than shaft.  Yes, shaft will influence those numbers but not as much as you think.  I myself am going with the SIM 2, 8 degree.  My current gamer is launching a touch too high. 

I would say that is subjective and changes from player to player ..

• 2 months later...

I find the SIM 2 Max to be a touch more left bias and slightly louder than the SIM Max (same shaft, Graphite Design AD DI 7s, in a 194g 10.5 on both, I own both original and new heads, 1 shaft). Both of these things I like, as I found it hard to move the SIM Max left, and misses were big rights (flat out blocks). So I do believe that the new Max head might be a bit more draw bias, and with the DI 7s shaft, I really like a lot. Probably need to move to a slightly lighter and softer shaft in the SIM (DI 6s, thinking). 

• Like 2

On 2/11/2021 at 10:47 AM, cgasucks said:

Driver tech has plateaued for years.  

Here's Rick Shiels reviewing the Ping i25 driver in 2014 and its performance is nearly identical to the current stuff out there.

This is true. But on the other hand, shaft tech has been constantly getting better. Find a cheap "old" head, pair with a new shaft and you're set. 

56 minutes ago, Skhacker said:

This is true. But on the other hand, shaft tech has been constantly getting better. Find a cheap "old" head, pair with a new shaft and you're set. 

Me personally, the performance is more attributable to the head rather than shaft.

If you think drivers from this past 6 years can keep up with the current stuff, you are wrong.  It goes way further back than that.  Check this out.  You'll be surprised which driver was the longest in this video.

Edited by cgasucks

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

11 minutes ago, cgasucks said:

Me personally, the performance is more attributable to the head rather than shaft.

If you think drivers from this past 6 years can keep up with the current stuff, you are wrong.  It goes way further back than that.  Check this out.  You'll be surprised which driver was the longest in this video.

Good share. With Titleist, I’m not surprised the TSi was the longest. They traditionally didn’t chase distance, but really changed the face this year for ball speed. Was funny to see him not be able to keep the old 975 in play ha ha. 

9 hours ago, mikec3672 said:

I find the SIM 2 Max to be a touch more left bias and slightly louder than the SIM Max (same shaft, Graphite Design AD DI 7s, in a 194g 10.5 on both, I own both original and new heads, 1 shaft). Both of these things I like, as I found it hard to move the SIM Max left, and misses were big rights (flat out blocks). So I do believe that the new Max head might be a bit more draw bias, and with the DI 7s shaft, I really like a lot. Probably need to move to a slightly lighter and softer shaft in the SIM (DI 6s, thinking). 

pretty funny i bought a sim 2 max with the fake ventus it is way to light for me i have the same shaft that you are putting in your club DI 6 let us know how it goes 

• 3 months later...

I have Sim2 @9 degrees, x flex tensei white and hit it well. I hit down 2-3, have always been a high spin player, swing speed 112.

I have a chance for a good deal on a Sim2 max @10.5. I have been working on a positive attack angle but also read a lot about lifting up, curious if this is a good idea or just sit tight with my current setup

6 minutes ago, boxerdoc said:

I have Sim2 @9 degrees, x flex tensei white and hit it well. I hit down 2-3, have always been a high spin player, swing speed 112.

I have a chance for a good deal on a Sim2 max @10.5. I have been working on a positive attack angle but also read a lot about lifting up, curious if this is a good idea or just sit tight with my current setup

odds are you would see a bit higher spin with max vs the std sim2 head; esp in a higher degree head. 

not worth the swap or cash IMO. 

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

1 hour ago, boxerdoc said:

I wouldn't pull the trigger especially if you're getting good launch and spin numbers.