Utility Iron Shaft-Steel or Graphite?

I'm shopping Utility Irons now and it will be my first go at this style of club.  I'm trying to determine if I should use the same set-up I have in my irons (stiff steel KBS $ Taper Lite) or go more toward a hybrid type, graphite shaft.  I plan to use it mainly as a long iron/hybrid replacement off the deck, with an option to hit it on long par 3's or some par 4's. Any insight would be appreciated.  Thank you.

Edited by 10of14

Driver: Callaway Mavrik Max @ 10.5* (Playing @11.5*) w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK White [email protected] 45.0" (14g back/4g heel)

Fairway: Callaway Mavrik Max @ 15* w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70S (14g back/4g heel)
Hybrid 1: Callaway Super Hybrid @ 20* w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue 80S @ 41.5"

Hybrid 2: Callaway Super Hybrid @ 25* w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue 70S @ 40.5" or Cobra RADSPEED @ 24* w/Fujikura Ventus Blue 70S @ 40.5"
Irons: Cobra RADSPEED (5-GW) w/KBS $ Taper Lite Black S (+1" and 2*upright)
Wedges: Cobra King MIM Black @52-8V w/KBS $ Taper Lite Black-S (+1" and 2*upright) and 57-10V w/KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125-S (+.75")

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab V-Line CS @ 34"
Ball: Testing Titleist Pro V1x Left Dash vs. Snell MTB Black vs. Oncore Vero X1

Bag: Ping Pioneer Cart Bag-White/Black

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First driving iron was a Mizuno Fli-Hi.  Had a Dynamic Gold x100 in that worm burner.  Next was a Callaway Apex UT with a SteelFiber i110cw X.  Now gaming a GAPR Mid that is probably the least good lo

I’ve tried multiple driving irons and most were always with a steel shaft or an “iron” type graphite (Steelfiber i95/110, Recoil).   Never found them to be much better than my Ping Eye2+ 2I.  But then

Tough one. I have a 4 utility (PRGR) with steel shaft (S300) and a 2 utility (Srixon ZX) with graphite (UST Recoil)   I personally think the graphite is easier get higher ball speed so I don

I swap in and out a TE Exotics CBX Ironwood.  Played with a HZRDUZ Black 85 shaft.   I would recommend the graphite unless you are a hard swinging, long hitting player.   I'm now pushing 60.  Over the years, I have found that a lighter shaft near the top end allows me to swing easier to get the results I want.  When I played steel in my Ut's, I was less consistent when I tired later in the round.

Driver: Titleist TSi2

3Wood: Titleist TSi3

Utility:  Maltby KE4 Tour FDI
Irons:  PXG 0211 DC
Wedges:  PXG 0311
Putter: Ping Answer 2

Would definitely recommend a graphite shaft especially if you are planning on hitting it off the deck or into greens. Steel shaft in a utility can result in some pretty low launch which can be ok if you are only using off the tee in the dry fairways but harder to elevate and hold a green. Even the harder swinging pros are using lighter graphite in those clubs. 

Edited by FatThinShank

Long story short, end of last year I switched from PX steel to Mitsubishi graphite - HIGH bend - Tensei AV White AM2-S in my 620 MB & CB irons.  I was so happy with the results, in 1/2021 I put that shafts 90g "S" shaft in my 2i.  I now hit 2i longer, at times over 230yds.

• Titleist TS2 9.5', Ventus 5 "S"
  • Titleist TS2 16', Ventus 7 "S"
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 2i - Tensei AV White "S"
  • Titleist 620 Series 3i-PW - Tensei AV White "S"
  • SM6 F-52/8 - Tensei AV White "S"
  • SM6 M-58/8 Tensei AV White "S"
  • SC CA Monterey
  • Dash-ProV1x, AVX, ProV1

I tried my iron shaft in my driving iron, a SteelFiber.  Then I tried a hybrid shaft in my driving iron, a Diamana Thump.  Both shafts have similar static weights.  For me, the hybrid shaft is better in every way--easier to hit/launch/work.  Just my $0.02, your mileage may vary.

Ping G400 Max Driver | 9.75° Ventus Blue
Callaway Epic Speed | 15° | Diamana ZF

Callaway Epic Speed | 18° Accra Fx 2.0 200F
Ping G410 3H | 19° Graphite Design IZ-75

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4 | 21° Diamana Thump

Srixon ZX4/ZX5 | 5I-6I / 7I-PW LAGP Tour AXS BLUE 105
Callaway Jaws MD5 | 50° & 54° Aerotech SteelFiber i95cw

Callaway PM Grind 19 | 58° KBS HiRev2.0

Spider X Chalk | Stability Tour

I've always played graphite, but I also know players that use DI irons with steel shafts that match their clubs.  Treating it more like a forgiving iron that a pure "driving iron".

SIM2 - G410 LST - something random - G410 Crossover 20* - i500 5-W (5i 2* strong, 6i 1* strong) - MD 52*, PM 58* & 64* - F22

First driving iron was a Mizuno Fli-Hi.  Had a Dynamic Gold x100 in that worm burner.  Next was a Callaway Apex UT with a SteelFiber i110cw X.  Now gaming a GAPR Mid that is probably the least good looking of the crowd, but I hit it the best, by far.  Diamana Thump X.  

Edited by polarbear87
  • Haha 1

LH Cobra King F9, Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.5

LH TaylorMade M2 3 woodFujikura Rombax P95 X

LH Callaway Mavrik 3H 18* hybrid, Fujikura Ventus Black HB TX

LH TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X

LH Parsons PXG 0311P Gen2 5 Iron-PW, GW, Project X LZ 6.5

LH Callaway JAWS MD5 & PM ‘19 Grind, True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

LH Odyssey Metal X Milled #7 or Betttinardi BB8

Have tried steel that matched my irons when I had the Rapture DI and a UDI.  Both were ok, but prefer Graphite now.  Just better feel, dispersion the same and better distance.  Just tipped up a RIP B 80S to try out in my Gapr 2, so looking forward to seeing how that does in a couple of months.

What's In The Ping Moonlite:
Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

I agree with what others have said about finding out what you want out of that particular iron, and plan your build/purchase from there. 

Used most of the DG range in S300 and while I enjoyed them on well struck shots was just quite demanding in the club, and would do what DG is designed to do (low launch and low spin). 

Switched out to graphite now, don't think I will be going back to steel in my UT any time soon. 

Epic Speed  G400 2H  G410 4H  X-Forged UT  Apex Pro '19  PM Grind 2.0  Newport 3

I acquired a Ping G410 crossover head from a friend and shafted it with a Modus3 105 shaft (my i210 irons have PX LZ shafts) and the results were OK but not great, so I considered selling it.

Last week I installed an AD DI 85g hybrid shaft and in the first range session the results were amazing so it's in the bag.

I’ve tried multiple driving irons and most were always with a steel shaft or an “iron” type graphite (Steelfiber i95/110, Recoil).   Never found them to be much better than my Ping Eye2+ 2I.  But then I hit a friends SIM UDI with the Thump 90 hybrid shaft and I couldn’t believe how good it felt and the distance.

I was going to maybe pick up one for Christmas but then I found a Srixon u65 with a Recoil Prototype Hybrid 100 and this combo so far has been incredible.  Great feel and launch like the SIM but balance feels a little better because it’s slightly heavier. This has been over multiple range sessions.  Impressive so far.

Edited by achappy
  • Like 1

PING G30 10.5* Hzrdus Smoke Yellow 60
PING G 3W  Alta 70
Srixon U65 18* Recoil Prototype 110 F4

Taylormade Rocketbladez Tour “F” Heads 3-PW DG120 S300

Callaway Jaws CC 52*, 58* DGS300
Nike Method Mod 00