Kbs tour Stiff v True Temper elevate tour stff

Veners

Hello all, 

Does anyone have any information to compare these shafts or have played both and what was your experience? 

I understand they are similar in weight and both are designed to be higher launching for their weight category but I cannot find them both together on any shaft charts and I do not know the torque or profiles in any detail or which plays stiffer. 

Any feedback or experiences with them welcome. 

Thank you 

Tour-V Stiff will play consideribly stiffer than Eevate Tour in stiff. For example if you are gonna compare the Tour-V in terms of overall stiffness, you would have to compare it to the True Temper Elevate Tour 120X (which the Tour-V is still stiffer overall).  From my experience fitting with the Tour-V, it seems to fit individuals have quick tempos, who are steeper and have excess spin. The Elevate is better for more moderate tempos who struggle with delivering enough loft at impact or in other words who struggle to provide enough launch angle, peak height, and decent angle for their ball speed. 

Two totally different profiles for different types of golfers. 

Hope this helps, 

Regards, 

JJ

Edited by JJgolfwrx
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, JJgolfwrx said:

Tour-V Stiff will play consideribly stiffer than Eevate Tour in stiff. For example if you are gonna compare the Tour-V in terms of overall stiffness, you would have to compare it to the True Temper Elevate Tour 120X (which the Tour-V is still stiffer overall).  From my experience fitting with the Tour-V, it seems to fit individuals have quick tempos, who are steeper and have excess spin. The Elevate is better for more moderate tempos who struggle with delivering enough loft at impact or in other words who struggle to provide enough launch angle, peak height, and decent angle for their ball speed. 

Two totally different profiles for different types of golfers. 

Hope this helps, 

Regards, 

JJ

I could be wrong, but I was assuming the “v” meant “versus” not as in Tour V.  The regular KBS Tour seems like a good comparable to the Elevate Tour.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, th6252 said:

I could be wrong, but I was assuming the “v” meant “versus” not as in Tour V.  The regular KBS Tour seems like a good comparable to the Elevate Tour.

Oh man, now I see. Answer is still similar. KBS Tour is about 5g heavier, has a higher balance point. The KBS Tour S is significantly stiffer than the Elevate Tour. You will definitely feel less "kick" in the down swing to stiffer midsection. I would expect the KBS Tour to have a lower trajectory due to a higher tip stiffness. My source is a golfshaft database from a major oem and software subscription. However, you still want to test and swing the shafts. How a golfer swings (speed, tempo, setup, and swing mechanics) as well as their miss tendencies will determine what shaft is a better fit. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, JJgolfwrx said:

Oh man, now I see. Answer is still similar. KBS Tour is about 5g heavier, has a higher balance point. The KBS Tour S is significantly stiffer than the Elevate Tour. You will definitely feel less "kick" in the down swing to stiffer midsection. I would expect the KBS Tour to have a lower trajectory due to a higher tip stiffness. My source is a golfshaft database from a major oem and software subscription. However, you still want to test and swing the shafts. How a golfer swings (speed, tempo, setup, and swing mechanics) as well as their miss tendencies will determine what shaft is a better fit. 

Yes sorry that was my bad it was Kbs Tour Stiff and TT Elevate Tour Stiff as the comparison.  Thank you for the feedback its very helpful as I previously had the Kbs tour Stiff and was hoping elevate tour Stiff would be softer as a set of irons I'm thinking of going for have the elevates in them. 

Elevates definitely felt very smooth and easy to swing so they give the sensation of playing soft to flex but saying that they still feel very stable, don't seem to generate excessive amounts of spin and provide a pretty boring but mid-high flight. I've started playing them in my long irons and have been very impressed. For reference I play soft stepped X100 pw-7 and then soft stepped Elevate Tour X 6-4. My Elevates feel wise are probably closer to a lighter version of an S300 in terms of flex/feel but seem to have better dispersion and a more penetrating higher flight.

Only had a brief experience with KBS Tour and would say the KBS might feel stiffer due to its butt stiffness and being counterbalanced would probably amplify this. Mid to tip I'd expect them to be similar, though for a higher launching shaft the Elevates felt very stable, probably more so than the KBS Tours in my brief experience. The Elevates are definitely worth trying if looking for a mid-high launching shaft.

Edited by Skipperation
  • Like 1

On 2/13/2021 at 8:58 AM, golf1010 said:

Elevate in x is a dream shaft for all stiff / x in between golfers. It does feel softer then most stiff shafts but it works 

Im not sure how you can make such a blanket statement about it being a dream shaft for all stiff/x golfers.  I just finished my fitting for a new set of irons on Friday, and the 2 worst shafts for me were the Elevate and the Modus (hit in 120, 130 and 125 grams).  In each of these cases, the dispersion on the shots were just too big.  I ended up getting fit for the LBS Tour V in X flex.  I am by no way an X flex swing speed, but for me and my swing, it was about finding a shaft stable enough for my quick tempo and transition.

On 2/11/2021 at 6:32 PM, Veners said:

Hello all, 

Does anyone have any information to compare these shafts or have played both and what was your experience? 

I understand they are similar in weight and both are designed to be higher launching for their weight category but I cannot find them both together on any shaft charts and I do not know the torque or profiles in any detail or which plays stiffer. 

Any feedback or experiences with them welcome. 

Thank you 

I would suggest, if you have the ability to......go get a proper fit.  I did my first full proper fit for a new set of irons and couldnt be happier.  I ended up ordering through my fitter (ended up costing about 200 more) but i wanted these irons TO MY SPEC.  I have ordered direct from a sales rep twice before, and ended up with clubs that were too light, or too short, or in 1 case, incorrect lofted (PW was 2 degrees from the 9 iron loft).

Played KBS Tour for a while and picked up a set with the Elevate Tour just recently. 
Im closer to X Stiff speed wise but have a pretty smooth tempo so usually stick with Stiff flex. 
For me, the KBS are smooth, mid penetrating flight, tight dispersion with a little stiffer feel throughout than the elevate. 
The Elevate are super smooth, peak flight is higher, still good dispersion with the big difference being a distinguishable kick through the ball and better overall balance. 

I could see having issues with the Elevate if you have an aggressive transition. 

• Like 1

[b]Driver: [/b][i]TBD[/i]
[b]Fairway:[/b] Taylormade Superfast 16.5*/Even Flow Blue
[b]Hybrid:[/b] Titleist 913H/Rogue Black
[b]Irons:[/b] Mizuno MP 59s
[b]Wedges:[/b] Titleist SM4 52/56/60
[b]Putter:[/b] [i]This area intentionally left blank [/i]

Thanks for the feedback and comments on experiences with these shafts everyone.  

I have been previously been fit for project x 6.0 and kbs tour Stiff, the project x at my golf club and kbs at American golf in the UK.  Admittedly the fit at my golf club was 4 years ago and the Kbs about 18 months to 2 years ago but I never got on with either, almost as if smashing a 7 iron off a matt for an hour with a launch monitor was nothing like my experiences on the course esoecially 6 iron up.  A while back I bought a cheap second hand club with DGR300 (the classic heavier DG) and I found that a lot easier to hit and control with better dispersion and flight control albeit slight distance loss (could have been the head also) so good to hear the elevate is slightly softer than kbs but in a similar weight range, I may give it a try on course. 

It's almost as if I'm the kind of person who wants to be ported into the future... A time mayve where we have a gadget fixed to our clubs which track every shot. 

For example during lockdown I purchased a sc300 launch monitor to hit into my garden net, no idea how accurate the LM is but with a 7 iron I range from 75 to 83 mph swing speed, that may put me in a reg or stiff depending on shot, but in the future maybe we will have a gadget that tracks all our shots on course then we will realise that we hit most iron shots one way, say easy 7 Irons into greens, we could look at the stats and see oh that nice feeling smooth shot I hit into the 6th last weekend is what I'm looking for and use the stats on that to get fit into the optimum shaft, I find it hard to transfer range findings to all the on course variables. 

Finally, I’ve found a forum topic I feel confident I can comment on as I’ve played both shafts, albeit neither for extended lengths of time. 
KBS tour- feel amazing. One of the more responsive steel shafts for my swing that I’ve experienced. That being said, always felt I had to give it the nuts to make it work. Plays stiffer to a soft transition than the flex warrants. If I had to guess (which I am-heavily!), the counter-balance aspect of the shaft has more to do with that than the cpm or flex. It seemed like the more speed I tried to put into it at the top, the more consistent the results. 
Tour elevate- smooth, smooth, smooth. Think lazy. It’s equally as difficult to swing 85% as it is to go balls-out, but the 85% swing at that smoother transition shot the ball out at a lower, less spinny trajectory.  It jumped carry 7-8 yards for me, which cost me 8th place in my club championship because there was a bit of whiskey flu going on second  day. I am fully realistic in my character flaws impacting my scoring ability.  Still, a bit of an eye-opener at the time.   

Synopsis: If anyone has ever commented that you seem like you are barely putting effort into your swing, lean towards the tour elevates. 

caveat: aformentioned character flaws are heavily influencing my posting of this at the moment. Incorrectly assumed a litre of Crown Royal was too much to kill before I fly back home tomorrow. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@mandelbloomI'm guessing you're referring to the newer model which is the Elevate ETS 115s. Swing speed is only one metric, but generally speaking you are correct. 

Elevate 115 ETS is slightly overall stiffer, specifically in the tip/tip-mid section of the shaft.

Both are classified has mid-high trajory shafts.

I like KBS in general and the Tour is one of my favorite shafts. I find the 120 stiff does feel pretty stiff to me, but that I’ll bet that is mainly because I like a little lighter weight. (110-115g seems to be my sweet spot.)

So I go with the Regular flex 110g and there is no difference in dispersion. According to Hireko charts, the 6 iron taper tip CPM is 322 on the Tour 120 and 306 on the 110, so these are not soft shafts. They have a bend profile that works well for me. Love the feel of them. The ideal fit for me would likely be the 110g regs hard-stepped twice. 

Have played the Elevates in Tour stiff and regular (HSx2) and they’re excellent. Definitely easy to get in the air. Feel very smooth. The VSS works. But I have tested many times and I am a half-club longer with KBS. I generate plenty of spin. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

• 3 weeks later...

Had a fitting today. 

currently play p760s x100s fitting day ‘fit’

was fit into srixon zx7s with elevate tour in the stiff. 
a little surprised as I sit around 89-91 chs with the 6 iron and I am in the middle of a swing change from draw pattere to fade. But I have unfortunately drilled in a low ball flight now as a recovering spinny slicer. Now a serial snap hooker.  

flight was noticeably improved with the fit.  My old send tend to come out flat and lower spin with a descent angle of around 30/35. Was high 40’s pushing 50° with the new fit. 

I trust the fitter but my ego still thinks me to be X (if I’m being totally honest). I always thought I had an aggressive transition and I’ve worked on making this better but I didn’t think I’d changed it that much to warrant a fairly radical shaft change. 

I do appreciate that the zx7s are low launch and low spin for a once piece iron. 

hearing all this chat about them playing even softer than the DG equivalent isn’t helping. I did enjoy the livelier feel of the shaft. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/21/2021 at 4:35 PM, Stevie989 said:

Had a fitting today. 

currently play p760s x100s fitting day ‘fit’

was fit into srixon zx7s with elevate tour in the stiff. 
a little surprised as I sit around 89-91 chs with the 6 iron and I am in the middle of a swing change from draw pattere to fade. But I have unfortunately drilled in a low ball flight now as a recovering spinny slicer. Now a serial snap hooker.  

flight was noticeably improved with the fit.  My old send tend to come out flat and lower spin with a descent angle of around 30/35. Was high 40’s pushing 50° with the new fit. 

I trust the fitter but my ego still thinks me to be X (if I’m being totally honest). I always thought I had an aggressive transition and I’ve worked on making this better but I didn’t think I’d changed it that much to warrant a fairly radical shaft change. 

I do appreciate that the zx7s are low launch and low spin for a once piece iron. 

hearing all this chat about them playing even softer than the DG equivalent isn’t helping. I did enjoy the livelier feel of the shaft. 

I know this is a month old now, but I wanted to comment that I had an outdoor PXG fitting the other day and was fit into Elevate Tour Stiff. We started in X based on speed, but the lighter weight clearly was a better fit. I had been previously fit into C-Taper Lite X (115g) and #2 was Project X LZ 6.0 (120g) so this makes sense.

It surprised me, but the stiff never felt loose. If I order I may hardstep them just for a little peace of mind, and I may go softstepped X for PW and GW because I've ben really happy with LZ's in my wedges and I think that would be most comparable. Also because by the time I get to wedge shafts I obviously can't hardstep the stiffs.

That's probably almost all in my head, but I had the same concerns as you and it makes sense to mitigate that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bnperrone said:

I know this is a month old now, but I wanted to comment that I had an outdoor PXG fitting the other day and was fit into Elevate Tour Stiff. We started in X based on speed, but the lighter weight clearly was a better fit. I had been previously fit into C-Taper Lite X (115g) and #2 was Project X LZ 6.0 (120g) so this makes sense.

It surprised me, but the stiff never felt loose. If I order I may hardstep them just for a little peace of mind, and I may go softstepped X for PW and GW because I've ben really happy with LZ's in my wedges and I think that would be most comparable. Also because by the time I get to wedge shafts I obviously can't hardstep the stiffs.

That's probably almost all in my head, but I had the same concerns as you and it makes sense to mitigate that.

Ended up reshafting with fujikura pro graphite 115x soft stepped. Couldn’t be happier with the switch!