I used to think I needed a higher bounce sand wedge. I had a 54.12W full sole that I used to struggle with. A 58.12X wasn’t any easier. Neither was a 58.12D Vokey I tried. 

Going to a different iron set I ended up with an MD5 52.12W and 58.8 low bounce W. If I open up the 58 just a little I seem to always get the ball out now. 

Sand on my local courses is on the firmer side but as long as it’s been dry it can get neutral/slightly soft. 

Curious if anyone else find that they are better With a lower bounce wedge out of the sand? 

Callaway Rogue 9* @ 10* Project X HZRDUS Yellow 75 6.0

Callaway Mavrik 4 Wood 16.5* Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 70S

Callaway Rogue 4H 21* Project X EvenFlow Black 85 6.0

Callaway Mavrik Max 5-7i KBS Max 90 S

Callaway Mavrik Pro 8-AW True Temper Elevate 105 S

Callaway JAWS MD5 52.10S Dynamic Gold 115

Callaway JAWS MD5 56.10S Dynamic Gold 115

Callaway JAWS MD5 60.12W Dynamic Gold 115

Odyssey Stroke Lab Black #7

Bridgestone Tour B X/Titleist Pro V1x

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A stated bounce from different companies can play very different. Generally I prefer lower bounce. 

I use a 58* 2019 Callaway PM Grind with 12* of bounce and a C grind.  The C grind has heel, toe, and trailing edge relief that helps me easily open the face.

I've thought about trying out a PM grind in a 60 if I move to a 52/56/60 set up. But I do really get a long with my 58 LBW.

A stated bounce from different companies can play very different. Generally I prefer lower bounce. 

• Like 2

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9* Ventus Black 6x

Callaway EFSZ @ 14* Ventus Blue 7x

Callaway Rogue SZ Tour Issue 5w 17* Tour AD TP 8x

Taylormade Sim UDI 2i Hzrdus Handcrafted Black 105x

Callaway Tour Issue Apex 2019 Hybrid @ 19* Veylix Rome 988X

Srixon z745 4-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey JDM Forged 50F, 56M, SM4 60S Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Odyssey White Hot Pro #7 | Odyssey White Hot Pro #1 | Byron Morgan DH89 34/70*/2*

Taylormade TP5X 2021

Ping Hoofer

1 hour ago, rkillian said:

Sand on my local courses is on the firmer side but as long as it’s been dry it can get neutral/slightly soft. 

Last season I had a hard time getting consistent sand strikes with my 54*/12 W sole.

In talking with two different pros, both said area courses keep going more and more to medium/mid-heavy sand. One pro said he has gone strictly to S-grind for his SW; the other says he uses mostly S-grind but keeps the W-sole high bounce for when he plays one of the courses with fluffier sand.

A complicating factor: Vanishing practice bunkers. The private country club is the only course in the county that still has a decent practice bunker. Excellent practice traps at my home course and three other nearby courses have been filled in or allowed to "go to seed."

Possible solution...

Edited by ChipNRun
Add video
  • Like 1

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind being tested as possible SW to replace MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

20 hours ago, ChipNRun said:

Last season I had a hard time getting consistent sand strikes with my 54*/12 W sole.

In talking with two different pros, both said area courses keep going more and more to medium/mid-heavy sand. One pro said he has gone strictly to S-grind for his SW; the other says he uses mostly S-grind but keeps the W-sole high bounce for when he plays one of the courses with fluffier sand.

A complicating factor: Vanishing practice bunkers. The private country club is the only course in the county that still has a decent practice bunker. Excellent practice traps at my home course and three other nearby courses have been filled in or allowed to "go to seed."

Possible solution...

This^  I like the S (Cobra is V) for most shots, including mid-to-firm sand shots, but carry a W (WL in Cobra) for softer sand conditions (my home course).  

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Mavrik Max @ 10.5* (Playing @11.5*) w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK White [email protected] 45.0" (14g back/4g heel)

Fairway: Callaway Mavrik Max @ 15* w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70S (14g back/4g heel)
Hybrid 1: Callaway Super Hybrid @ 20* w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue 80S @ 41.5"

Hybrid 2: Callaway Super Hybrid @ 25* w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue 70S @ 40.5" or Cobra RADSPEED @ 24* w/Fujikura Ventus Blue 70S @ 40.5"
Irons: Cobra RADSPEED (5-GW) w/KBS $ Taper Lite Black S (+1" and 2*upright)
Wedges: Cobra King MIM Black @52-8V w/KBS $ Taper Lite Black-S (+1" and 2*upright) and 57-10V w/KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125-S (+.75")

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab V-Line CS @ 34"
Ball: Testing Titleist Pro V1x Left Dash vs. Snell MTB Black vs. Oncore Vero X1

Bag: Ping Pioneer Cart Bag-White/Black

Like others have stated, it will depend on course conditions where u play. The courses i play have gone away from fluffier sand and in some cases it has become basically dirt in the traps. I have gone to S grinds in 54* and 58* (Titleist & Callaway wedges). I do find the Titleist D grind seems to have more bounce compared to Callaway X grind. Different companies so it’s not apples to apples comparison.

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* w/Fujikura Ventus Blue 6x

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15* w/GD Tour AD TP 7x

Callaway Apex hybrid 18* w/GD Tour AD IZ 85x

Callaway X Forged UT 21* w/PX6.0

Callaway X Forged 5-PW w/PX6.0

Titleist SM8 50 F, 54 S, 58 S w/PX6.0

Toulon Austin w/Stability Tour shaft

Srixon Z Star XV 

Depends on the course, the course i used to play the bunkers were basically a light dusting of sand with hardpan dirt under them so needed really low bounce to not drop kick thin every bunker shot I hit. The fairways were also very firm so bounce wasn't helpful at all on this course. 

Moved to a different course and they are the opposite extreme with very fluffy sand thats quite deep so bounce is now my friend. Fairways are softer also due to different ground conditions so quite lucky that I can have a bit of bounce for the whole course. 

• Like 1

I swap out Ping Glide 58 WS and SS, depending on the course and conditions. My default is the WS, but will switch to the SS if it's firm conditions.

I also carry a Ping Glide 54 SS.  When paired with the 58 WS, I have different loft and bounce options depending on the situation.  Again, the 58 WS is the default in the sand as I prefer more bounce when conditions allow for it.  

• Like 1

Driver: PING G410 Plus, Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6S
3W: Titleist D917 13.5 @ 15, Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 7S
5W: Titleist D917 18 @ 18.75, Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 8S
Hybrid: Titleist 816 H2 21 @ 22, Diamana D+ 100 Hybrid
Irons: PING i210 (5-U), Nippon Modus 120S
Wedges: PING Glide (54 SS, 58 WS), PING CFS Wedge
Putter: PING Sigma 2 Arna
Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

I use a 58* 2019 Callaway PM Grind with 12* of bounce and a C grind.  The C grind has heel, toe, and trailing edge relief that helps me easily open the face.

• Like 2

Ping G400 Max Driver | 9.75° Ventus Blue
Callaway Epic Speed | 15° | Diamana ZF

Callaway Epic Speed | 18° Accra Fx 2.0 200F
Ping G410 3H | 19° Graphite Design IZ-75

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4 | 21° Diamana Thump

Srixon ZX4/ZX5 | 5I-6I / 7I-PW LAGP Tour AXS BLUE 105
Callaway Jaws MD5 | 50° & 54° Aerotech SteelFiber i95cw

Callaway PM Grind 19 | 58° KBS HiRev2.0

Spider X Chalk | Stability Tour

16 minutes ago, bear87 said:

I've thought about trying out a PM grind in a 60 if I move to a 52/56/60 set up. But I do really get a long with my 58 LBW.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, rsballer10 said:

56.14 F in Sand Wedge

60.04 or 60.08 in Lob Wedge (I've played both in the past with equal success)

If the sand is firm, just play the shot with a square 56 or an open 60 depending on the length. I like having different bounces and grinds on each wedge so that I can play any course setup without having to change wedges.

I have also thought about going to a Vokey 56.12D and 60.08M if I change wedges again. I liked the 58D I had around the greens and in the rough. 

• Like 1

Floating between two set ups.  PXG 0311T 54 with 10* of bounce and 58 with 9* of bounce and Callaway JAWS MD5 with 54 with 10* of bounce and PM Grind 19 58 with 12* of bounce.  I love the feel of the PXG wedges, and I love the versatility of the PM Grind 19.

• Like 1

LH Cobra King F9, Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.5

LH TaylorMade M2 3 woodFujikura Rombax P95 X

LH Callaway Mavrik 3H 18* hybrid, Fujikura Ventus Black HB TX

LH TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X

LH Parsons PXG 0311P Gen2 5 Iron-PW, GW, Project X LZ 6.5

LH Callaway JAWS MD5 & PM ‘19 Grind, True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

LH Odyssey Metal X Milled #7 or Betttinardi BB8

Varies heavily based on your swing and sand conditions - softer sand and steeper angle of attack generally performs better with higher bounce, harder sand and shallower aoa better with lower. If you can work with your club's pro and demo a bunch on course that would be ideal. I personally prefer a shallower aoa by default, so even my 12* bounce on my 54* feels like too much on non-bunker shots, but in the bunker I've yet to feel like I've had too much

Mixed bag o'crap that I'm slowly replacing (replaced 2021😞

Titleist 917 D2 10.5* Diamana D+ 70 S

TaylorMade SIM Ti 3W 15* Ventus Blue 7X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 X

Ping G 17* Hy Alta Blue 70 S

Cobra Max 22* Hy White Tie 55 S

PXG 0311XF 5i Fujikura Pro 95i Tour Stiff

Mizuno MP18 MMC 7i Modus 120 S, Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 6, 8, 9, PW, GW KBS Tour 90 S

Callaway Mack Daddy 2 54/12, Vokey SM7 60 M

Odyssey Toulon Chicago Ping Cadence TR Anser 2

3 hours ago, rkillian said:

I just re-read your post. Your question was regarding bounce, but I believe the answer is actually the grind. A wide sole displaces more sand, which adds forgiveness in the bunker. That's how it's possible to have a low bounce club thats good in a bunker.

2 hours ago, rsballer10 said:

I just re-read your post. Your question was regarding bounce, but I believe the answer is actually the grind. A wide sole displaces more sand, which adds forgiveness in the bunker. That's how it's possible to have a low bounce club thats good in a bunker.

That makes a lot of sense