2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

What Year/Model for Haig Ultra Irons?

jmcorr4

I had a brand new set of the non-Crenshaw grind Haig Ultras. I think mine were 1984. I should never have got rid of them. I'm not sure there's a bad version of Ultra's out there. A couple of years ago someone was selling a never used set of the same version I had and I was very tempted. 

Edited by Woodridge

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Ping Anser 2 2021 34" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

I had a set of 1958s and 1967s.  The 58s are somewhat rarer than the 67s.  I let them both go as to I prefer the look of the Wilson Staff Fluid Feels to the Haigs.  The Haigs are beautiful!

The 58s played VERY similar to the Wilson Staffs of the same era.  The 67 had a MUCH wider sole compared to the 67 Wilson Staffs.  

Not sure if I'm answering your questions.

Edited by cold_war_era_golfer

Instagram: cold_war_era_golfer 

I wish I still had mine's. My parents bought a set of Haig Ultras for my 15th birthday back in 1976 and I played them throughout my high school. That is my very first set, about a thousand sets ago. Ha

62 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

Callaway Rogue Max LS 10.5 Ventus Red Velocore 6-S 

TSR2 10* Ventus Blue Velocore 6-S

Callaway Paradym TD 15* & AI Smoke TD 7 wood

Callaway Paradym 5-AW AMT Black S300

SM9 52* & 58*

Odyssey DART 47"

5 hours ago, deejaid said:

Unfortunately my brother-in-law was cleaning the garage and assumed the old golf clubs were something to get rid of

I hope he's been made aware of his colossal Foxtrot Uniform....

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

1 hour ago, Swingingk said:

I don't have a set of Ultra's... yet, but I do have two other sets of Hagens and can vouch for both.  One set are the 1972 (I think) Hagen Ultradyne's with the red button on the back, and the other set are Walter Hagen "The Haig" from I think about 1976.  Both look and play very nice.  I don't think you can go wrong with any Hagen iron really.  It is true that they are very high quality and were expensive for their time.  The fit and finish are very fine and the chrome is thick.
One thing I have noticed about Hagens of the 70's is that the muscle weight tends to be located heavily in the center of the head and behind the ball.  I think this makes the CG fairly high and not as forgiving as Wilsons of the same era with their weight lower and more toward the toe.  The feel of a pure strike is incomparable but you need to put a pretty good swing on it to find it.  Hagens seem to have a feel all their own and it's really cool.  That's been my experience anyway.  

20210214_195723.jpg

20210214_195455-1.jpg

20210214_195510.jpg

20210214_195525-1.jpg

Thank you.  I think I'm just gonna try and find what appear to be the nicest set I can find, buy'm and have fun.  I really enjoy this classic thread forum.  As a kid in the late 70's early 80's I fell so in love with the classic game.  Every bit of it.  I was very lucky that my parents belonged to a private club and was taught the game by classic old school men.  Besides Persimmon, Blades and Balata: they wore pants, smoked cigs, wreaked of The Clubman after shave, wore shined leather golf shoes, drank brown booze, played cards and played great golf!!!  The sounds and smells of that were the best and I miss it so much.  I wish there were a place to play where all those things were required.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Joe S said:

If you like the Crenshaw Grinds but can't find them then you should also be on the lookout for the 1964 Haig Ultra's.  The Crenshaw grinds were based on these.  I got lucky a few years ago and found both sets within about 2 weeks of each other at two different Goodwills.

Haig Ultra 1964.jpg

Mmmm... now that's what a blade should look like!  Beautiful photography too.  

Just now, Swingingk said:

Mmmm... now that's what a blade should look like!  Beautiful photography too.  

I can't take credit for the photo, I plucked it from the internet.  I was too lazy to go downstairs and take a picture of mine.  This one is much better than mine would have been anyway.  They are beautiful irons.  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Joe S said:

If you like the Crenshaw Grinds but can't find them then you should also be on the lookout for the 1964 Haig Ultra's.  The Crenshaw grinds were based on these.  I got lucky a few years ago and found both sets within about 2 weeks of each other at two different Goodwills.

Haig Ultra 1964.jpg

Yes!  That's the one!  Were there sets produced in the 80's that had that look and similar markings?

4 hours ago, jmcorr4 said:

Thank you.  I think I'm just gonna try and find what appear to be the nicest set I can find, buy'm and have fun.  I really enjoy this classic thread forum.  As a kid in the late 70's early 80's I fell so in love with the classic game.  Every bit of it.  I was very lucky that my parents belonged to a private club and was taught the game by classic old school men.  Besides Persimmon, Blades and Balata: they wore pants, smoked cigs, wreaked of The Clubman after shave, wore shined leather golf shoes, drank brown booze, played cards and played great golf!!!  The sounds and smells of that were the best and I miss it so much.  I wish there were a place to play where all those things were required.

Haha!  I golf a lot as a single and I've been sent out with groups of old school hardcore hustlers like that a bunch of times.  They're a lot of fun.  They drink, smoke, gamble, and laugh a lot.  Crazy stories, dirty jokes, and fun-to-watch short games.  No more persimmons but the rest stays the same.  Good times.

6 hours ago, Swingingk said:

I don't have a set of Ultra's... yet, but I do have two other sets of Hagens and can vouch for both.  One set are the 1972 (I think) Hagen Ultradyne's with the red button on the back, and the other set are Walter Hagen "The Haig" from I think about 1976.  Both look and play very nice.  I don't think you can go wrong with any Hagen iron really.  It is true that they are very high quality and were expensive for their time.  The fit and finish are very fine and the chrome is thick.
One thing I have noticed about Hagens of the 70's is that the muscle weight tends to be located heavily in the center of the head and behind the ball.  I think this makes the CG fairly high and not as forgiving as Wilsons of the same era with their weight lower and more toward the toe.  The feel of a pure strike is incomparable but you need to put a pretty good swing on it to find it.  Hagens seem to have a feel all their own and it's really cool.  That's been my experience anyway.  

20210214_195723.jpg

20210214_195455-1.jpg

20210214_195510.jpg

20210214_195525-1.jpg

A beautiful lustre on these irons @Swingingk, lovely to look at.

• Like 1

I should have asked here first as to I woulda let them go to a Haig lover for even cheaper.

I bought these for a song and although I coulda relisted them for much more but something just feels wrong trying to make a profit off other vintage golfers so I let them go to the first person who offered me what I paid for them.

spacer.png

• Like 1

Instagram: cold_war_era_golfer 

• 4 months later...

The sets of Haig Ultra that I love the most are between 1957 and 1965.  I have sets, or at least wedges, from each year.  My favorite is the 1958s Haig Ultra*Powereds because they closely resemble the coveted 1958 Wilson Dyna-Powereds.  The latter are one of the best sets of irons ever made, IMHO.  The Hagen version is a bit jazzier, and much rarer.  I will post photos of both.   There Crenshaw grind is said to be based on the 1964s, which actually is 1963-64.   Those years have Haig Ultra in all caps. The 1965s are very similar, and have a mix of upper- and lower-case letters.  All three years have a diamond between Haig and Ultra.  Very little has been published about the 1957 through 1965 Haig Ultras.  I will be doing a YouTube video on these spectacular irons — which, IMHO, are the most beautiful forged irons ever made.  

• Like 1

In my vintage set I'm playing a set of Haig Ultras made in 1963. For me they are the very pinnacle of irons. If you have a smooth swing and can hit them on the sweet spot then you will be richly rewarded. However, off-center strikes will be punished, like all other quality blade irons. I lucked out and got these at a yard sale back in the early 90s for about $20 for a set of 3-PW.

20210226_182152.jpg

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Dyna-PoweredGuy said:

The sets of Haig Ultra that I love the most are between 1957 and 1965.  I have sets, or at least wedges, from each year.  My favorite is the 1958s Haig Ultra*Powereds because they closely resemble the coveted 1958 Wilson Dyna-Powereds.  The latter are one of the best sets of irons ever made, IMHO.  The Hagen version is a bit jazzier, and much rarer.  I will post photos of both.   There Crenshaw grind is said to be based on the 1964s, which actually is 1963-64.   Those years have Haig Ultra in all caps. The 1965s are very similar, and have a mix of upper- and lower-case letters.  All three years have a diamond between Haig and Ultra.  Very little has been published about the 1957 through 1965 Haig Ultras.  I will be doing a YouTube video on these spectacular irons — which, IMHO, are the most beautiful forged irons ever made.  

In case anyone wants to date their Haigs what I did was go to the Ironfinder website and compare the pictures for the year with the Haigs I had.

https://www.ironfinder.com/Individual-Irons/hagen/

• Like 1

I have a set of 67 (I believe), 70 and maybe a set of 76/77.  The 70s are my favorite but it mostly comes down to a cosmetic preference for them.  I think they all play pretty similarly.  A friend had some Crenshaw grinds and I did like them, but I'm a bit of a digger on the course and on the wrong course, I could see myself carving some canyons into fairways hitting them.

• 11 months later...
On 2/13/2021 at 10:28 AM, jmcorr4 said:

Years ago I played with a guy who had a beautiful set of Haig Ultra Irons.  I have always want a set.  Does anyone know of the best Haig Ultra Irons to have?  I also love the Crenshaw grinds but those seem Impossible to find.  Thank you!

I realize this is almost a year old thread....however, I'm trying to get the year for these Haig Ultra irons. I love their handling & design...but in all the reference I have & what I dredge up on the net, the closest I've come is a set offered for sale in Australia, no way to contact or ask questions.
This is an extra set, a wee bit dirty, but will clean up nicely once I figure out their age. The pic is the 7 iron.
Any ideas?

HaigUltra?yr.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 6/14/2022 at 3:20 PM, bcstones said:

I realize this is almost a year old thread....however, I'm trying to get the year for these Haig Ultra irons. I love their handling & design...but in all the reference I have & what I dredge up on the net, the closest I've come is a set offered for sale in Australia, no way to contact or ask questions.
This is an extra set, a wee bit dirty, but will clean up nicely once I figure out their age. The pic is the 7 iron.
Any ideas?

HaigUltra?yr.jpg

a copy of Golf Club Identification & Price Guide just got delivered....so, I've answered my own question - these are the 1974 thru '76 Haig Ultra 66 model....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Joe S said:

Very useful item.  Did you get the 3rd edition?

yes I did get the 3rd edetion, as well as the 1st & 2nd....the first two were only around ~$13 each. I was curious as to the addendems...it was a wee bit strange to realize that everything was posted backwards - from present to past LOL

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 6/16/2022 at 7:25 PM, bcstones said:

yes I did get the 3rd edetion, as well as the 1st & 2nd....the first two were only around ~$13 each. I was curious as to the addendems...it was a wee bit strange to realize that everything was posted backwards - from present to past LOL

I was very disappointed that Editions 1 & 2 have such minimal information on Walter Hagen golf clubs, specifically nothing pre-1970s.

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

2 hours ago, HoganApexBlades said:

I was very disappointed that Editions 1 & 2 have such minimal information on Walter Hagen golf clubs, specifically nothing pre-1970s.

Think you'd have to go to Kaplan's for that....oops, just checked & Kaplan's doesn't mention Haig irons till the 70s. I have a set of Walter Hagen pyratone shafted clubs (no mention of Wilson/or loga on them anywhere), that puts them into the '30s or '40. I just checked a couple of sets of Ultradyne & Ultra, no mention of Wilson on them either....hmmmmm