• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

the correct answer if you want the club to play the same is 63.75 lie angle.  its 1-1 ratio for length to lie angle.  If the club plays .25 short you need to go .25 upright for the same effective lie

I would get fit with them somewhere they look at dynamic lie and ball flight. I trusted lie board and tape and now I have a terrible hook 

Lie boards can be extremely unreliable for some people since they only tell you what happens after impact, not at impact.  There is a much better (and easier) way to dynamically check the lie angles:

I would think length would account for some lie differences.  However, the best thing to do is when getting fitted get the club fitter to put a piece of tape on the sole and take several swings on an impact board to see where you're actually striking the club on the sole.  Do this with every iron in the bag.  This will indicate the true amount the irons need to be adjusted and how (strikes towards the heel are too upright, strikes towards the toe are too flat).  This is what I do with my irons as I have my own loft and lie machine in my garage "workshop."

Edited by RobotDoctor
  • Like 1

Driver:  TaylorMade M3 440cc 9.5° (tour issue 9.9), Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6S   ||  3W:  TaylorMade M4 15° (small head), Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade SLDR 2I Hybrid at 17°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8S  ||  Irons:  Ben Hogan Icon 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Wedges:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged: 50°, 54°, 58°, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff ||  Putter: Byron Morgan custom Epic Day

Ball: Taylormade Tour Preferred (2016 ball)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

Did you compare actual clubs? Jpx 921 tours are 1/4” longer than titleist t100s even though both companies list 37” as a stock 7 iron length. Mizuno measures oddly now, but not sure when that went into effect.

The accepted number for length affect on lie angle is 1/2” equates to 1 degree of lie. +1/2”=+1* of lie -1/2”=-1* of lie

3 minutes ago, Sfd732 said:

Did you compare actual clubs? Jpx 921 tours are 1/4” longer than titleist t100s even though both companies list 37” as a stock 7 iron length. Mizuno measures oddly now, but not sure when that went into effect.

The accepted number for length affect on lie angle is 1/2” equates to 1 degree of lie. +1/2”=+1* of lie -1/2”=-1* of lie

So 0.25 of an inch wont change the lie by more than half a degree? Im sure about the specs yes. Measured my mizzys against other brands.

I believe Mizuno standard lie angles are flatter than other manufactures standard lie angles.  I know the Ping website has the color code specs for reference.  The small difference in length should not make a difference for lie angle.  In terms of of lie angle degrees you'd want to look at 63.5* (61.5 + 2).  

Driver:  Cobra F8+ 9.5*-Diamana Whiteboard 60X

Fairway Woods:  Cobra F9 Tour 3 wood 14.5* & 5 wood 18.5*-Diamana Whitebaord 70X

Irons:  Bridgestone J15 CB 4-PW KBS C-Taper 130X

Wedges:  Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 50*, 54*, 60*-KBS C-Taper 125S+

Putter:  Guerin Rife Tour Blade 

Ball:  2020 Bridgestone Tour B XS

3 hours ago, RobotDoctor said:

I would think length would account for some lie differences.  However, the best thing to do is when getting fitted get the club fitter to put a piece of tape on the sole and take several swings on an impact board to see where you're actually striking the club on the sole.  Do this with every iron in the bag.  This will indicate the true amount the irons need to be adjusted and how (strikes towards the heel are too flat, strikes towards the toe are too upright).  This is what I do with my irons as I have my own loft and lie machine in my garage "workshop."

Isn't it the opposite of what you said here?

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, mickw said:

Isn't it the opposite of what you said here?

Why, yes, you are correct.  I will change my original post.

• Like 1

Driver:  TaylorMade M3 440cc 9.5° (tour issue 9.9), Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6S   ||  3W:  TaylorMade M4 15° (small head), Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade SLDR 2I Hybrid at 17°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8S  ||  Irons:  Ben Hogan Icon 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Wedges:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged: 50°, 54°, 58°, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff ||  Putter: Byron Morgan custom Epic Day

Ball: Taylormade Tour Preferred (2016 ball)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

11 hours ago, RobotDoctor said:

However, the best thing to do is when getting fitted get the club fitter to put a piece of tape on the sole and take several swings on an impact board to see where you're actually striking the club on the sole. 

Lie boards can be extremely unreliable for some people since they only tell you what happens after impact, not at impact.  There is a much better (and easier) way to dynamically check the lie angles:

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Stuart_G said:

I have never tried this method.  Looks like some testing will be done very soon. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Stuart_G said:

I will look into that, thank you very much. Ive done a swing change with a teacher. Nowadays Im more inside out, but used to be a little outside in. In your experience, does that or can that affect the lie angle??

9 minutes ago, Awainer1 said:

Don’t trust a lie board. I think wrist to floor is the best way to fit for lie angle. https://wishongolf.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Height-Wrist-to-Floor-Charts.pdf

aha, interesting. Im 6 feet so according to the wishon I should have 0.5 inch club longer, 1 degree up at 37.5 in 7 iron. SO does that mean that my current clubs, that are 37, should use standard lie angle? My wrist to floor is 35.5.

6 minutes ago, mizunotpz said:

aha, interesting. Im 6 feet so according to the wishon I should have 0.5 inch club longer, 1 degree up at 37.5 in 7 iron. SO does that mean that my current clubs, that are 37, should use standard lie angle? My wrist to floor is 35.5.

I’m 6 feet as well and my wrist to floor has me at 2 upright which is what I play and is absolutely perfect for me. I just play them standard length. It’s not a perfect guide but it’s a really good baseline to work off of. 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Awainer1 said:

If I were u I’d go 1 upright and see how it works and if you want the extra length play them that way. And stay at 1 upright. Adjust accordingly if you feel your ball striking could be improved or if the clubs look way upright at address. The toe should be slightly off the ground at address to account for shaft droop. 

Yes, my thinking also, go 1 up and then check. But do you measure wrist to floor with shoes on or without shoes? Im imagining at most fittings people have their shoes on 🙂 DO you know your wrist to floor at 2 up?

8 minutes ago, mizunotpz said:

I think I measured correctly. I have slightly longer arms than the norm. thanks!!

Also be aware with ping the lie angle gaps are not 1-1. This model doesn’t work for me. I use a 1-1 ratio throughout my entire set. In titleist the long irons play progressively flatter and don’t stick to the 1/2 degree lie increments. So the 5 iron plays effectively 1/2 degree flatter than the short irons the 4 1 degree and the 3 1.5 degrees. After trying this it did not work for me at all. 

2 minutes ago, Awainer1 said:

Also be aware with ping the lie angle gaps are not 1-1. This model doesn’t work for me. I use a 1-1 ratio throughout my entire set. In titleist the long irons play progressively flatter and don’t stick to the 1/2 degree lie increments. So the 5 iron plays effectively 1/2 degree flatter than the short irons the 4 1 degree and the 3 1.5 degrees. After trying this it did not work for me at all. 

aha, I actually thought about that. That maybe I need flatter lie in the longer irons since it felt the toe was sticking up a bit more than my eye liked. So with Ping they dont adjust, but Titleist adjust and get flatter?

6 minutes ago, mizunotpz said:

aha, I actually thought about that. That maybe I need flatter lie in the longer irons since it felt the toe was sticking up a bit more than my eye liked. So with Ping they dont adjust, but Titleist adjust and get flatter?

Ping has a really cool proprietary way that they adjust lie angles to exact measurements. Check it out. Your gonna get exactly the lie angles you order so that’s the good news  

16 hours ago, mizunotpz said:

I will look into that, thank you very much. Ive done a swing change with a teacher. Nowadays Im more inside out, but used to be a little outside in. In your experience, does that or can that affect the lie angle??

Not a pro - but I wouldn't normally expect much change in lie angle from just a path change.  But I suspect that it also depends on how you achieved the path change.  So it never hurts to test it out.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, mizunotpz said:

Thats a great thing with Ping, they are always very true to specs.

That has not been my experience.  I have purchased three sets of Pings: i3+, s-56, and i500.  

The i3s had to be returned because obvious mistake with shafts (7 iron longer than 5 iron) and grips were twisted.   When they were returned to me, I had clubs checked.  Better, but still needed lie angles to be adjusted.

The S-56s had different lie angles.  I really liked the heads and took them to The Complete Golfer.  He reshafted and bent each iron to correct loft and lie angle (each club was tested).  Turned into great set of irons.  Had a G something 4 iron.  I switched out for set of Epons about 5 years ago.

Last year, thinking I needed to hit my irons longer, I was fit by a Ping certified fitter for i500s.  Absolutely did not work.  Spent a few hundred to reshaft, no better.  Epons still in bag.