flightscope mevo with superspeed training

dach818

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in FlightScope.  The Mevo+ will not measure swing speed without a ball being struck.  This is only available in our higher end launch monitors.  Please let us know if you have any additional questions. 

FlightScope Mevo Sales

uc?export=download&id=1oe1-TaUpiCISFlCEAKKaI-AzujM3mnBl&revid=0B8ukI5reKbLocldtNzF1cEVzb3gzQ2lSeWN3d2NsL3hWeXpNPQ

^^^^ nope got this this morning. ordered a PRGR instead. 

Edited by shoot4par

3 hours ago, shoot4par said:

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in FlightScope.  The Mevo+ will not measure swing speed without a ball being struck.  This is only available in our higher end launch monitors.  Please let us know if you have any additional questions. 

FlightScope Mevo Sales

uc?export=download&id=1oe1-TaUpiCISFlCEAKKaI-AzujM3mnBl&revid=0B8ukI5reKbLocldtNzF1cEVzb3gzQ2lSeWN3d2NsL3hWeXpNPQ

^^^^ nope got this this morning. ordered a PRGR instead. 

Hey! This is off topic, but since you're here lol I wanted to know the height tolerances for the Mevo. I know the ball should be in line with the unit (top of the unit? middle?), but in a PGA Show video Alex Trujillo talked about not wanting a valley between the ball and unit. So if I'm hitting driver off a fiberbuilt mat, which with the tee puts the ball about 4.5 inches off the ground, should I elevate the mevo with a small tripod as I have been doing? 

Love the product! And if I finally break 80 this year I'll be putting you on my christmas card list 

1 hour ago, Jota_Jota said:

Hey! This is off topic, but since you're here lol I wanted to know the height tolerances for the Mevo. I know the ball should be in line with the unit (top of the unit? middle?), but in a PGA Show video Alex Trujillo talked about not wanting a valley between the ball and unit. So if I'm hitting driver off a fiberbuilt mat, which with the tee puts the ball about 4.5 inches off the ground, should I elevate the mevo with a small tripod as I have been doing? 

Love the product! And if I finally break 80 this year I'll be putting you on my christmas card list 

I dont work for flightscope , I just asked the same question yesterday evening. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/5/2021 at 11:20 AM, Jota_Jota said:

I think the club head speed is partially measure and partially calculated by ball speed.

Not with any of the flightscope (or TM) radar units.   It really wouldn't make sense when the doppler data is directly available for the club head.   The only issue is how to translate the variable speed across the whole head to a single value.   Or distinguishing between a real swing and a practice swing or other 'noise' that the radar picks up.

Edited by Stuart_G

2 minutes ago, Stuart_G said:

Not with any of the flightscope (or TM) radar units.   It really wouldn't make sense when the doppler data is directly available for the club head.   The only issue is how to translate the variable speed across the whole head to a single value.

Thanks for the clarification. That single value being club head speed because the club head is moving throughout the swing? Which is to say, impact is used as the moment to determine that single value? Do you know why across sub $500 launch monitors, ball speed is more accurate than club head speed? 

3 minutes ago, Jota_Jota said:

Thanks for the clarification. That single value being club head speed because the club head is moving throughout the swing? Which is to say, impact is used as the moment to determine that single value? Do you know why across sub $500 launch monitors, ball speed is more accurate than club head speed? 

I didn't mention that specifically but yes,  that's a big part of the measuring process as well - knowing which velocity with respect to time to use and show.

I haven't seen any actual data to validate any trend based on cost.   But if it's true and I had to guess, I would suspect it has to do with the complexity and level of the signal processing required to filter and analyze the raw doppler data from the head and convert it to a single value.  But that would be more related to processing the data at a particular instant in time - not as much the determination of what time to pick to use the data.   Remember, velocity values are being collected from all parts of the head - e.g. the velocity is not constant from the heel to the toe.  The radar unit has to determine the center of volume from all the returns across the whole head and figure out which one to use to represent the club head speed.

54 minutes ago, Stuart_G said:

I didn't mention that specifically but yes,  that's a big part of the measuring process as well - knowing which velocity with respect to time to use and show.

I haven't seen any actual data to validate any trend based on cost.   But if it's true and I had to guess, I would suspect it has to do with the complexity and level of the signal processing required to filter and analyze the raw doppler data from the head and convert it to a single value.  But that would be more related to processing the data at a particular instant in time - not as much the determination of what time to pick to use the data.   Remember, velocity values are being collected from all parts of the head - e.g. the velocity is not constant from the heel to the toe.  The radar unit has to determine the center of volume from all the returns across the whole head and figure out which one to use to represent the club head speed.

Thanks again. Yeah, of course, the toe is moving faster than the heel. As for the accuracy and precision of ball speed, I was thinking of this study, done by Rapsodo to show the accuracies of the Rapsodo and Mevo with Trackman as the standard. For whatever reason, those errors are largest at the upper and lower ends of the bag. But those are ball speed inaccuracies. In this podcast I heard about the issues of club head speed; apparently camera systems and doppler systems have different approaches for capturing club head data. Doppler systems use a center of volume method, and camera systems use first touch. A doppler system measures the club head slightly after impact, which causes doppler systems to have a slightly slower club head speed. So perhaps this club head speed disparity between high-end and low-end units is that the high-end units use both doppler and optical to take measurements. But I'll qualify all of this by saying I'm a Humanities guy. 

1 hour ago, Jota_Jota said:

I heard about the issues of club head speed; apparently camera systems and doppler systems have different approaches for capturing club head data. Doppler systems use a center of volume method, and camera systems use first touch. A doppler system measures the club head slightly after impact, which causes doppler systems to have a slightly slower club head speed.

Yes, the two parameters that matter to the results is 1) where on the club head to measure the velocity and 2) when to measure it.  And on top of that, even the calculations for determining things like where the center of volume is or when first contact occurs or when max compression occurs can result in different values.  

But the trouble most people have is understanding that's not really an issue of accuracy but rather methodology - or how they define the quantity being shown.   One can certainly have opinions or even argue about which methods or definitions are better but without any standard, you can't really call the differences inaccuracies since the concept of which is a better definition is purely subjective.  It also makes comparing results from different companies a bit pointless (even say comparing TM4 results to the X3 results).

If you want a true evaluation of accuracy, you need to use a much higher fidelity method with a previously determined accuracy/uncertainty as a baseline and make sure the definitions used are synced up.  The closest one I've seen was a study done by Leach et. al.  comparing TM3e to FC2 back in 2017.  They used a super accurate (and super expensive) 3D dynamic displacement measurement system - with a known calibrated accuracy of about 0.06 mph for ball speed and 14 rpm for spin.   but even it only looked at the accuracy with respect to the ball values.  It didn't go into accuracy for club head data.   And it didn't even attempt to check or compare spin axis, just total spin.

If you're curious about what it takes to set-up and do a true scientific test of accuracy, do a search for that paper.  It's titled

"How valid and accurate are measurements of golf impact parameters
obtained using commercially available radar and stereoscopic optical launch
monitors?"