The most realistic RANGE/HITTING mat?

creasy54

If you weren't going to spare any expense, what's the highest quality hitting mat in your experience?

I'm specifically interested in one that is the most ground-contact realistic.

Which I assume will translate to more precise launch monitor numbers? 

Added bonus would be if it's not as jarring on the wrists in the cold as your average hitting mat, but accuracy is the goal, not softness. 

Manufacturers/reps shoot your shot. Personal experience preferred. 

Thanks! 

Edited by creasy54

"It's the last ball you've got in the bag Roy, you get this one wet and we're disqualified"
"[i]I can make it across[/i]"
"Well then do it and quit f*$king around"

It's very hard to beat Fiberbuilt. Personally, I have a CCE, but depending on your swing, it can absolutely DESTROY your elbows and wrists. I used to hurt myself on it when my swing was not as good. My dad has it off his place and is very over the top/steep and has hurt his tendons pretty bad catching it fat. So, as far as giving the best feel, it does that, but only for good players.  I really love it now. 

1 hour ago, creasy54 said:

If you weren't going to spare any expense, what's the highest quality hitting mat in your experience?

Added bonus would be if it's not as jarring on the wrists in the cold as your average hitting mat, but accuracy is the goal, not softness. 

Thanks! 

Played em all, they all forgive fat shots, so none can be considered realistic imo. 

put painters tape down behind the  ball so u know when u hit it fat. Any mat works, fiberbilt is easiest on body/clubs

Edited by extrastiff
  • Like 1

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

10 minutes ago, JimmyC59 said:

I've had a Fiberbuilt since December. Hit a couple thousand balls so far, no wrist or elbow issues and it seens realistic regarding fat shots.

Cool thanks, which one did you get? The small hour glass model looks like a great home/compact one. 

"It's the last ball you've got in the bag Roy, you get this one wet and we're disqualified"

1 hour ago, extrastiff said:

Played em all, they all forgive fat shots, so none can be considered realistic imo. 

put painters tape down behind the  ball so u know when u hit it fat. Any mat works, fiberbilt is easiest on body/clubs

Get a country club elite if you don't want to get away with fats 😂

• Like 2

1 minute ago, e-man said:

Are you guys getting the full station or just the small hitting surface?

Probably just a small footprint mat for the the garage

• Like 1

I just wonder if the hour glass by itself will move around a lot. 

Great point thanks, haven't considered that. 

I would get an actual mat and not the little one you are looking at. If you need to stand it up while not in use get the country club elite. It’s easy to stand up or roll back up when not in use. The fiberbuilts have to remain flat. Also, like said above if not getting away with fat shots is a concern, definitely go country club elite. It will either make you strike it correctly or have elbows and wrists so sore you can’t practice...

• Like 1

I just wonder if the hour glass by itself will move around a lot. 

I have the fiberbuilt practice station and it stays put, the rubber sections are quite heavy.  The one thing I didnt like about it is due to the shape it limits your foot placement.  

I started out with a rawhide golf mat (basically identical to CCE)  but ended up with some elbow pain after alot of use. 

Cut a whole into the rawhide mat and put the fiberbuilt oval hitting section in.  Best of both worlds.

• Like 1

Driver: Cobra Darkspeed X 9* Tour 2.0 Black 65X

Fairway:  Ping G430 Max 13.5* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Fairway:  Ping G430 Max 19.5* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Irons:  PXG 0317 CB 5-GW KBS Tour 130X

Wedge: Ping Glide 4.0 54S Modus 125W

Wedge: Ping Glide 4.0 58S Modus 125W

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

3 hours ago, creasy54 said:

Thanks! 

Are you a sweeper or digger?

Im a sweeper, and I’m in the market as well. I’ve read the CCE can be hard on diggers, but It’s so rare I hit the ball fat, that it’s a non issue for me. My miss is 9/10 thin. I may occasionally hit a fairway wood fat off the deck, but since I no longer carry any fairway woods, I don’t see that happening any time soon 😂 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Drivingrangehero said:

Are you a sweeper or digger?

Im a sweeper, and I’m in the market as well. I’ve read the CCE can be hard on diggers, but It’s so rare I hit the ball fat, that it’s a non issue for me. My miss is 9/10 thin. I may occasionally hit a fairway wood fat off the deck, but since I no longer carry any fairway woods, I don’t see that happening any time soon 😂 

Yeah I'm steeper on wedges and mid irons, being a better player I'm not concerned with knowing if I've hit it fat, pretty sure it will be obvious. Just don't want to end up with wrist and elbow pain if I hit a few hundred balls a day during winter. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, creasy54 said:

Yeah I'm steeper on wedges and mid irons, being a better player I'm not concerned with knowing if I've hit it fat, pretty sure it will be obvious. Just don't want to end up with wrist and elbow pain if I hit a few hundred balls a day during winter. 

Fiberbuilt or Truestrike are the safest bets. The Wittek Quattro is a wild card. Most people don’t seem to have issues with elbow pain and it’s quite a bit more realistic than Fiberbuilt in my opinion. Definitely easier on the body than CCE

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

Get a country club elite if you don't want to get away with fats 😂

I have one lol. When you have pretty high club speed, any mat is somewhat forgiving.  

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

1 hour ago, creasy54 said:

Cool thanks, which one did you get? The small hour glass model looks like a great home/compact one. 

I have a fiberbilt hitting strip, and a CCE. The hitting strip is my favorite, it can move around to wherever you want it, and you will eventually wear down spots on them Matt, and there are more spots available on the hitting strip as opposed to the station. You will have to get some stall mats from a local tractor supply, to keep it from sliding around. I enjoy that much more than the oval one

47 minutes ago, creasy54 said:

I am a plus And it’s not always obvious but ymmv

2 hours ago, extrastiff said:

I have a fiberbilt hitting strip, and a CCE. The hitting strip is my favorite, it can move around to wherever you want it, and you will eventually wear down spots on them Matt, and there are more spots available on the hitting strip as opposed to the station. You will have to get some stall mats from a local tractor supply, to keep it from sliding around. I enjoy that much more than the oval one

I think some of the ranges I go to have that strip, is it a bit like hitting a ball that's sitting up in semi rough, where you have to clip it, the ball sits on top of the bristles and they don't give too much resistance, if you get a bit steep you feel the club hitting the metal bottom? 

Ive recommended the one I purchased many times. Doesnt seem to get much love but I got mine in 2013 and its still in perfect shape. I use it every winter and occasionally during golf season to work thru stuff when I cant get to a range. It can hold a tee and doesnt move around since you stand on it.

All Turf Mats 48" X 60" XL Super Tee Golf Mat

I paid $120 in 2013 on Amazon.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Sabre3 said:

Ive recommended the one I purchased many times. Doesnt seem to get much love but I got mine in 2013 and its still in perfect shape. I use it every winter and occasionally during golf season to work thru stuff when I cant get to a range. It can hold a tee and doesnt move around since you stand on it.

All Turf Mats 48" X 60" XL Super Tee Golf Mat

I paid $120 in 2013 on Amazon.

I have one also. Too squishy to stand on and the mat grabs the club head pretty good making it hard on the body for me. I have both a wittek quattro strip now as well as a divot action mat which is great.

2 minutes ago, Liveonce said:

I have one also. Too squishy to stand on and the mat grabs the club head pretty good making it hard on the body for me. I have both a wittek quattro strip now as well as a divot action mat which is great.

Interesting. I havent noticed any issues like that but everyone has different encounters.