The most realistic RANGE/HITTING mat?

creasy54

1 hour ago, Sabre3 said:

Ive recommended the one I purchased many times. Doesnt seem to get much love but I got mine in 2013 and its still in perfect shape. I use it every winter and occasionally during golf season to work thru stuff when I cant get to a range. It can hold a tee and doesnt move around since you stand on it.

All Turf Mats 48" X 60" XL Super Tee Golf Mat

I paid $120 in 2013 on Amazon.

Not to be the high-speed guy, but not any Mat will hold still for us.

This is why I ended up going with the fiberbuilt strip and a few stall mats,Even the super thick heavy mats at our range shifts around when I’m swinging full speed

• Like 1

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

16 hours ago, jblough99 said:

I have the fiberbuilt practice station and it stays put, the rubber sections are quite heavy.  The one thing I didnt like about it is due to the shape it limits your foot placement.  

I started out with a rawhide golf mat (basically identical to CCE)  but ended up with some elbow pain after alot of use. 

Cut a whole into the rawhide mat and put the fiberbuilt oval hitting section in.  Best of both worlds.

This. A larger mat or a bunch of stall mats with a section cut out for hitting strip or the Oval strip is in my opinion the best possible set up.If we were talking about sparing no expense, surrounding the mat with stall mats for Extra stability. 

Quick tip from someone who’s been there. . do not try cutting an oval in them unless you have the tools and the proper ventilation LOL

Edited by extrastiff
  • Like 1

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

13 hours ago, creasy54 said:

I think some of the ranges I go to have that strip, is it a bit like hitting a ball that's sitting up in semi rough, where you have to clip it, the ball sits on top of the bristles and they don't give too much resistance, if you get a bit steep you feel the club hitting the metal bottom? 

Yeah it can have that feeling if you don’t put any yoga mats or anything under it. But honestly My range doesn’t perfectly mow their grass anyways,So it’s a pretty similar feel to ranges in my opinion. And the numbers come out pretty similar on GC quad. Doesn’t feel like it has to be perfectly clipped in my opinion, And once it gets some wear to it the fibers get frayed a bit, and it turns more into a CCE type top layer. 

I simply don’t hit on a mat if I want realistic, I don’t really think it’s a fair representation of the lies or grass that exist anywhere i have played. But I also have seen the numbers don’t differ very much, so I don’t concern myself with whether it feels realistic or not. The numbers will show if it was fat, even if I can’t feel it perfectly. 

Edited by extrastiff
  • Like 1

I appreciate that Fiberbuilt is easy on the joints but it's the most unrealistic hitting surface I've ever tried. There is literally zero feedback from turf interaction because the ball is basically teed up on fluff. Fat shots are completely forgiven and forget about practicing using the bounce on wedges. The only time you would ever experience a lie even close to the Fiberbuilt would be teeing up an iron on a par 3. 

Again, if being easy on the joints is your #1 priority then I completely understand but the mat cannot possibly help you develop good ball striking habits and feels. 

I have a 5 Star mat in my back yard. It has solved my elbow soreness from my last mat and the feel you get from it is excellent. I use one of those fat plates when hitting my irons just so I know if I get it truly fat. Durability has been good so far. I haven’t been as loving as I should be keeping it out in the elements. But it’s holding up great. 

On 2/15/2021 at 10:11 AM, mgoblue83 said:

I appreciate that Fiberbuilt is easy on the joints but it's the most unrealistic hitting surface I've ever tried. There is literally zero feedback from turf interaction because the ball is basically teed up on fluff. Fat shots are completely forgiven and forget about practicing using the bounce on wedges. The only time you would ever experience a lie even close to the Fiberbuilt would be teeing up an iron on a par 3. 

Again, if being easy on the joints is your #1 priority then I completely understand but the mat cannot possibly help you develop good ball striking habits and feels. 

Hit on it long enough and you know exactly when you hit it fat or not. And if you play on tight bermuda, every fairway lie is pretty similar. 

Indoor practice has a purpose, for me it's mainly mechanics. Nothing is going to replicate the course, so no need to introduce injury.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If you're going to buy a mat, keep in mind, "YOU" may need to adjust your mechanics.  No matter how much you spend on a practice mat, if it's used enough, it will eventually lead to jarring consequence

I learned the game hitting up to 1300 balls a week for nearly a year, on what I thought was a typical above average range mat.  It was jarring when I hit the ball similar to how I hit off turf.   I had two choices; either maintain my swing and need fillings and joint adjustments regularly, or adjust my mechanics to pick/sweep the ball off the mat, and live to fight many more days.  😛  Obviously, I went with the latter and never encountered joint issues.

• Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

• 1 year later...
On 2/14/2021 at 6:54 PM, JimmyC59 said:

How do you like this mat? I've been trying to decide between this or the grass series hourglass pro.

https://fiberbuiltgolf.com/collections/shop-all/products/hourglass-pro-studio-mat-kit-single-hitting

Do you still like your mat or wish you had the grass series? Does the regular performance turf put a lot of stress on joints or much better than say the CCE? The hg pro grass series stance mat seems to be the same performance turf as the tee boxes but have the added grass panel so I think that would be better to hit wedges off. Just not a fan of the hg shape or I would just go ahead and order it.

Titleist TSR3 8 deg - Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6X

Titleist TSi3 15 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black 8X

Titleist TSR3 19 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black HB 9TX

Titleist T200 4 - TT DG TI X100

Titleist T100 (2019) 5-PW - TT DG TI X100

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 50.12 F - TT DG TI X100

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 54.14 F - TT DG TI S400

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 58.08 M - TT DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Titleist ProV1

I’m biased of course, but our Holy Grail hitting strips and mats were designed specifically to reproduce turf ball launch conditions as accurately as possible, while preventing injury as much as possible. 

Hundreds of our customers have replaced the strips in their Fiberbuilt mats, or cut them into their CCE mats, since we released them last fall. 

On 3/2/2022 at 10:36 PM, HappyGilmore22 said:

How do you like this mat? I've been trying to decide between this or the grass series hourglass pro.

https://fiberbuiltgolf.com/collections/shop-all/products/hourglass-pro-studio-mat-kit-single-hitting

Do you still like your mat or wish you had the grass series? Does the regular performance turf put a lot of stress on joints or much better than say the CCE? The hg pro grass series stance mat seems to be the same performance turf as the tee boxes but have the added grass panel so I think that would be better to hit wedges off. Just not a fan of the hg shape or I would just go ahead and order it.

I love this mat. No wrist/elbow issues, no wear on the mat, although I do rotate it. I have hit literally thousands of balls. I think it's realistic on fat shots.

Have nothing but good things to say about it.

I have a Fiberbuilt mat. I've hit at least 10,000 balls off it. 

It gives me zero elbow pain (unlike other mats). 

BUT it's completely unrealistic. Taking a "divot" feels horrible so it trains you to come in supper shallow. Because the "grass" has no give, it's impossible to get a feeling for the low point in your swing. 

I've made some swings where I almost went directly under the ball. 

Ping G430 Max 10.5* w/ GD Tour AD TP
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 18* w/ GD Tour AD DI

Srixon ZX MkII 19* & 24* w/x100
Titleist T100s w/ PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 48-52-56-61 w/ PX 6.5

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Mil Spec  

• 6 months later...
On 3/8/2022 at 5:26 PM, RCGA said:

I have a Fiberbuilt mat. I've hit at least 10,000 balls off it. 

It gives me zero elbow pain (unlike other mats). 

BUT it's completely unrealistic. Taking a "divot" feels horrible so it trains you to come in supper shallow. Because the "grass" has no give, it's impossible to get a feeling for the low point in your swing. 

I've made some swings where I almost went directly under the ball. 

Are you referring to hitting on the grass section or the performance turf? When you say no ‘give’, meaning there is no resistance?

3 hours ago, bioman said:

Are you referring to hitting on the grass section or the performance turf? When you say no ‘give’, meaning there is no resistance?

The turf is too fluffy. 

If you hit down, you quickly bottom out on the hard rubber base which feels horrible. 

If you come in shallow, your low point could be an inch behind the ball and you wouldn't even notice apart from the high strike on the club face. 

Edit: I should mention I am talking about the Grass Series. I think something like the Fiberbuilt Player Preferred line would be a better option. 

Edited by RCGA

Ping G430 Max 10.5* w/ GD Tour AD TP
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 18* w/ GD Tour AD DI

Srixon ZX MkII 19* & 24* w/x100
Titleist T100s w/ PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 48-52-56-61 w/ PX 6.5

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Mil Spec