What to put in the bag for a 7-10 handicap

So I’ve recently started golfing again and am around an 8 at the moment sometimes playing like 10 sometimes a 4. I’ve got some second hand Titleist T-MB 716 irons 3-9, Cobra 3h, 3 wood and Driver then 48,54 and 60 wedges and a putter. That’s 14 but I feel like the 3 iron is not very useful is there something I should change to instead. 

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Could maybe drop the 3h and go 4h and add a 5wd.  But nothing really needs to be added and everything seems to be covered well.  Some might suggest a Di for off the tee in place of the 3i but that mig

This suggestion is my setup - 15-16 loft wd and 5 wd, 4H, 5-PW ...   I feel good about a 3 wd but better about the 5 wd - but it depends on your distances. I know some that will  drop the 3

I've tried a few times over the years to change up the 4i for a 4h, but it just doesn't work for me and I hit my 4i well enough still.  I haven't played a 5wd since my 980F days but think that this wi

Could maybe drop the 3h and go 4h and add a 5wd.  But nothing really needs to be added and everything seems to be covered well.  Some might suggest a Di for off the tee in place of the 3i but that might be redundant to the 3h loft.

Edited by setter02
  • Like 1

What's In The Ping Moonlite:
Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

5 minutes ago, gwelfgulfer said:

Could maybe drop the 3h and go 4h and add a 5wd.  But nothing really needs to be added and everything seems to be covered well.  Some might suggest a Di for off the tee in place of the 3i but that might be redundant to the 3h loft.

Yea I’m pretty well covered from driver in just never use the 3i I can adjust my approach with the 3h to do about anything and it’s more reliable. I just heading that way now having clubs I’ll never touch in the bag if I could have something more useful

20 minutes ago, Jmlorton228 said:

Yea I’m pretty well covered from driver in just never use the 3i I can adjust my approach with the 3h to do about anything and it’s more reliable. I just heading that way now having clubs I’ll never touch in the bag if I could have something more useful

Yeah, 3i has been replaced with more versatile clubs and is more of a relic than anything.  I think your setup is fine and don't see anything glaring for sure, so only additions would be pet shots or various circumstances weather/course wise to bring a club for in the 5w and possible DI addition.

Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

Just do some swing drills and play some rounds. Get warmed up again.

Then, by summer you should know what to do with the 3i.

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind being tested as possible SW to replace MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

I would look at a hybrid. Depending on what yardage you wanted. I currently have a 3h and 4h but just got my 3 and 4 irons so I am considering a 2h instead. But I need to see how far I actually hit this 3i first before I toss anything.

Taylormade M3 driver Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 70G shaft (cut to 44.5")

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Taylormade M4 19* Hybrid 

Taylormade GAPR Mid 21* Hybrid

KZG Forged 2-M cavity back 4-6 

KZG Forged Blade 7-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Lazrus 52/8 and 56/12 wedges

Tour "Percision" [sic] Milled TP-M5 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips

4 hours ago, gwelfgulfer said:

This suggestion is my setup - 15-16 loft wd and 5 wd, 4H, 5-PW ...

I feel good about a 3 wd but better about the 5 wd - but it depends on your distances. I know some that will  drop the 3 wd, turn a 5 wd down to 17, then play 3H, 4h 5-PW or have both setups ready to go and bag the one better suited that day for a particular course.

Edited by SwingMan
  • Thanks 1

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Observer of Peeps

Primary Bag:

Callaway Epic Speed 9; Epic Max 9 ● Mizuno STZ 5 wd/Motore F3 6 ● SIM Max 4H/Accra FX 2.0 200 ● Mizuno MP-20 HMB 5-PW Accra ICWT95 ● Mizuno MP T20 50, 55, 59/Nippon Pro Modus 3 Wedge 125 ● Swag Savage Too ● Options: Epic Speed 7 wd/Riptide 70, Mizuno STZ 3 wd/Motore F3 6, TEE EXS 3, 4 Hy/GD AD Hy 65

6 hours ago, SwingMan said:

This suggestion is my setup - 15-16 loft wd and 5 wd, 4H, 5-PW ...

I feel good about a 3 wd but better about the 5 wd - but it depends on your distances. I know some that will  drop the 3 wd, turn a 5 wd down to 17, then play 3H, 4h 5-PW or have both setups ready to go and bag the one better suited that day for a particular course.

I've tried a few times over the years to change up the 4i for a 4h, but it just doesn't work for me and I hit my 4i well enough still.  I haven't played a 5wd since my 980F days but think that this will be my next attempt at replacing a club in my bag.  

• Thanks 1

Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

Im the same HC range. I play a hot 4i, Maverik, off the tee and I have a hybrid off the deck as I have a hard time elevating the 4i. I have a 5w because its easier to hit both off the ground and the tee than a 3w. My 3w has similar distances as my Driver with the same type of misses. I recently went a combo of 5-7 Apex 8-gap Apex pro for irons. Hope this give some perspective. I did have T-100 irons but as my SS has slowed they were just to demanding and short for me. Great feeling irons though. 

• Thanks 1

Maybe I'm missing something but if you've managed to get down to single digits with your current setup, the "missing link" should be fairly clear.  Off the tee, approach shots, or short game pretty much narrows it down.  I am in the same boat and tracked my rounds for 2020...turns out the most inconsistent part of my game was off the tee.  Bought a mini-driver and now the most problematic part of my game is the six inches between my ears! Also, I only use 13 clubs.

• Thanks 1

Taylormade ONE Tensei Pro Blue 70TX | Taylormade Tour M6 Hzrdus HC Red 75 X  | Callaway '16 Apex HC Hzrdus 105 X | Callaway '16 Apex HC Hzrdus 105 X | Srixon 765 Nippon 2G18 SCobra MIM B 51° / 56° |  Rossie WHP

2 hours ago, gwelfgulfer said:

I've tried a few times over the years to change up the 4i for a 4h, but it just doesn't work for me and I hit my 4i well enough still.  I haven't played a 5wd since my 980F days but think that this will be my next attempt at replacing a club in my bag.  

I haven’t had a 5wd since I was a kid I was afraid it would be redundant with the hybrid. I can hit my 4i well and shape better but the 3 ends up being a disaster if I touch it. And I have the 3h that I’ve gotten pretty handy with even tough shots under trees etc. just feel like for the first time I have extra clubs haha

31 minutes ago, Scottyrocket said:

Im the same HC range. I play a hot 4i, Maverik, off the tee and I have a hybrid off the deck as I have a hard time elevating the 4i. I have a 5w because its easier to hit both off the ground and the tee than a 3w. My 3w has similar distances as my Driver with the same type of misses. I recently went a combo of 5-7 Apex 8-gap Apex pro for irons. Hope this give some perspective. I did have T-100 irons but as my SS has slowed they were just to demanding and short for me. Great feeling irons though. 

I actually love these t-mb 716s. I got them cheap and regripped and hit much better shots. Shorter for sure though but more controlled excluding the shanks and chunks but I’d do that with anything. I think they actually have a more balanced distance gapping too. I may ditch the 3i and look into a 5wd 

4 minutes ago, BetterAtBingo said:

Maybe I'm missing something but if you've managed to get down to single digits with your current setup, the "missing link" should be fairly clear.  Off the tee, approach shots, or short game pretty much narrows it down.  I am in the same boat and tracked my rounds for 2020...turns out the most inconsistent part of my game was off the tee.  Bought a mini-driver and now the most problematic part of my game is the six inches between my ears! Also, I only use 13 clubs.

Yea I have the arcchos tracking and it’s showed it’s really my short game/approach,75yds in, that costs me strokes which is my main focus. It was my driver but I’ve changed drivers then my grip and swing and am much more consistent so maybe I need to just leave it alone and let the 3i sit in the bag as a prop haha

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Jmlorton228 said:

I haven’t had a 5wd since I was a kid I was afraid it would be redundant with the hybrid. I can hit my 4i well and shape better but the 3 ends up being a disaster if I touch it. And I have the 3h that I’ve gotten pretty handy with even tough shots under trees etc. just feel like for the first time I have extra clubs haha

I know for me it would be a bit redundant in distance, but I'm sure I will have a higher trajectory with the 5wd just purely by design vs. the TS3 hybrid I currently have.  I know that I do question its stopping power into greens if I ever need it as I use it primarily for off the tee work.  But to me it could just be a conditions club where I can interchange it without hesitation depending on need of the day and course.

I'm over my DI infatuation and happy with my TS3/T1100 combo, so only other option to play around with would be the 5wd.  Just picked up another Sim TI fairway head, but this time in 15* (previous was the 14*) to either be in my main bag or back up.  

Edited by setter02

Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

2 hours ago, gwelfgulfer said:

I empathize - I tried for years to find a suitable hybrid. Once you got rid of the ones wanting to go left, then getting a shaft to launch high enough was the next issue.

I settled on two - the PXG 0317 Hybrid and Tour Edge Exotics EXS220. I put a CK Pro Red 70 in the PXG and flight was high enough to settle on a green and high out of the rough. Put a GD AD HY 65 in the TEE because I had a couple of those shafts sitting around. 

My latest is the SIM Max 4H - testing it at range now and put a Accra FX 2.0 200 series shaft in it - at the range, it's a heck of a combo but need to get it on course when the weather breaks.

Primary Bag:

Callaway Epic Speed 9; Epic Max 9 ● Mizuno STZ 5 wd/Motore F3 6 ● SIM Max 4H/Accra FX 2.0 200 ● Mizuno MP-20 HMB 5-PW Accra ICWT95 ● Mizuno MP T20 50, 55, 59/Nippon Pro Modus 3 Wedge 125 ● Swag Savage Too ● Options: Epic Speed 7 wd/Riptide 70, Mizuno STZ 3 wd/Motore F3 6, TEE EXS 3, 4 Hy/GD AD Hy 65

3 hours ago, gwelfgulfer said:

As posted above, if issue is more fairways, then second driver - your current one and then a higher loft, let's say 12-12.5 and shorter shaft length. Sounds like fun. I've thought about it.

Or heck, 10.5 loft and 43.5 inch shaft.

Edited by SwingMan

Primary Bag:

6 minutes ago, SwingMan said:

As posted above, if issue is more fairways, then second driver - your current one and then a higher loft, let's say 12-12.5 and shorter shaft length. Sounds like fun. I've thought about it.

Or heck, 10.5 loft and 43.5 inch shaft.

I have a driver length 80X Kai'Li that I have debated on using for something like this as at least it will have the weight I still want after I cut it down.  Just waiting until I find a head I want and then maybe I'll try it out.  I just keep hoarding iron sets.  

I did start last year with a 10.5* G400 @ 43.5" with a KK Proto and liked it a lot.  Cracked the face so have a G410+, but 9* now.  Shame as I had a few G400 head weights to tinker with to get the SW back up, so may just look for another one of those heads.

Edited by setter02
  • Like 1

Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

8 minutes ago, noskcaj said:

echo the hybrid comments. I still don't really understand the appeal of carrying a 3w and a 5w for most people

Because they work for them?

Hybrids and 3w, 5w aren't mutually exclusive.  I have D, 3w, 5w, 25 degree, 27 degree.  

OP, figure out whatever gaps you want to cover and what clubs you hit the best with full and/or partial shots, all there is to it. No point carrying anything on the hope you might hit it well that one time out of 10 or 15 or whatever.  

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Hybrids and 3w, 5w aren't mutually exclusive.  I have D, 3w, 5w, 25 degree, 27 degree.  

OP, figure out whatever gaps you want to cover and what clubs you hit the best with full and/or partial shots, all there is to it. No point carrying anything on the hope you might hit it well that one time out of 10 or 15 or whatever.  

that's fair. a lot of factors obviously, including where there are gaps and what distances you need most often.  my comments was wrt carrying BOTH a 3w and a 5w.  is a 5w really worth its own club in the bag?  probably should balance how often to you need that distance/shot as compared to the difficulty of having two fws which for most people are difficult to hit accurately.  that's all I'm saying.  most people would probably benefit from adding something easier to hit that is used more often, instead of carrying two fws.  of course its subject to individual views, but that is my 2c

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Hawkeye77 said:

I think I’m pretty well covered with distance from Driver in honestly. The new set of irons I have or at least new to me are much more balanced even with the little bit of lost distance because they are more traditionally lofted. I can hit my 4i fine and my 3wood and the 3h is a good in between. I think I may take the leave it alone if I don’t need 14 clubs I don’t need them. I’ve gotten pretty handy changing my approach with the 3h to get a low stinger or sky high and drop it softly so I think a 5 wood would just be something else I would have to try and get the hang of. 

34 minutes ago, noskcaj said:

that's fair. a lot of factors obviously, including where there are gaps and what distances you need most often.  my comments was wrt carrying BOTH a 3w and a 5w.  is a 5w really worth its own club in the bag?  probably should balance how often to you need that distance/shot as compared to the difficulty of having two fws which for most people are difficult to hit accurately.  that's all I'm saying.  most people would probably benefit from adding something easier to hit that is used more often, instead of carrying two fws.  of course its subject to individual views, but that is my 2c

I get it, but we both come down in the same place I think.  5w is way easier for me to hit than whatever hybrid would get me that kind of distance.  24/25 degrees is as far as I want to down in loft and still have a hybrid that does what I need.  Now, I've got a pretty good gap between the 5s and 25 degree hybrid in terms of distance, but I don't fill that gap with a 7w (which I would love) or a 3h because I don't want to give something else up at the other end.  But that's what works for me.  Hybrid vs. fairways always interesting for golfers of all levels and surprising amount of disagreement even among golfers of the same level.

38 minutes ago, noskcaj said:

I’m with you on the 3wood and a 5wood. I just played with my wife’s uncle and he has both in the bag and couldn’t tell the difference when he hit them well it was almost identical I think my 3h covers that area and is more versatile. Maybe I’ll see if I can find a 2h

2 minutes ago, Jmlorton228 said:

I think I’m pretty well covered with distance from Driver in honestly. The new set of irons I have or at least new to me are much more balanced even with the little bit of lost distance because they are more traditionally lofted. I can hit my 4i fine and my 3wood and the 3h is a good in between. I think I may take the leave it alone if I don’t need 14 clubs I don’t need them. I’ve gotten pretty handy changing my approach with the 3h to get a low stinger or sky high and drop it softly so I think a 5 wood would just be something else I would have to try and get the hang of. 

I went without a 5w for years, next club was a 4h, carried 13.  I finally decided the times I needed a 5w justified getting one (and added a 27 degree hybrid and dropped my 5i, lol).  I'm probably more "grizzled", haha.

If "you never use 3i", why?  Are you as long as tour players or just following equipment patterns?  Tour players carry a 3i, but it's like 2i, which one is in the bag depends on the course they play and loft of irons.  Some players have 3i loft as strong as 2i.  Others have 4i as strong as 18/17* 2i.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Titleist TS2 9.5', Ventus 5 "S"
  • Titleist TS2 16', Ventus 7 "S"
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 2i "S"
  • Titleist 620 Series 3i-PW "S"
  • SM6 F-52/8 "S"
  • SM6 M-58/8 "S"
  • SC CA Monterey
  • Dash-ProV1x, AVX, ProV1
3 hours ago, noskcaj said:

echo the hybrid comments. I still don't really understand the appeal of carrying a 3w and a 5w for most people

I play 3w at 14, 5w at 19 degrees.  Maybe a 20yd gap, 3w is about a 240 club, 5w about a 220.  Both useful for going at par 5's, 5w useful for long par 3's. 5w is also good for tee shots where not a lot of roll out is desired.

17 hours ago, Pepperturbo said:

If "you never use 3i", why?  Are you as long as tour players or just following equipment patterns?  Tour players carry a 3i, but it's like 2i, which one is in the bag depends on the course they play and loft of irons.  Some players have 3i loft as strong as 2i.  Others have 4i as strong as 18/17* 2i.

It’s a 20 degree 3i. My hybrid is a 19 degree and just more reliable. I really just don’t use it because when I hit it well it’s the same distance as the hybrid but the success rate is significantly less. I only keep it in case I need a big fade or draw to get around something and honestly I’m better off not trying those haha

• Haha 1
On 2/14/2021 at 6:06 PM, Jmlorton228 said:

So I’ve recently started golfing again and am around an 8 at the moment sometimes playing like 10 sometimes a 4. I’ve got some second hand Titleist T-MB 716 irons 3-9, Cobra 3h, 3 wood and Driver then 48,54 and 60 wedges and a putter. That’s 14 but I feel like the 3 iron is not very useful is there something I should change to instead. 

First of all, everybody that is an 8 sometimes plays like a 10 and sometimes like a 4.  In fact, if your worst is like a 10, then you're doing pretty well!

Second, asking a question like this is going to get a bunch of responses in which guys tell you what THEY use, and that may or may not have anything whatsoever to do with you.  I think it is safe to say that in 2021 there are better options out there than a 3 iron, given that most OEM's don't make them anymore, but beyond that things become murky.

I would urge you, if you aren't already, to keep some data on yourself and your clubs to see what's going on, and the extent to which it might be contributing to your scores, good or bad.  You might have yardage gaps in your current setup, and you also might have clubs that are duplicating yardage.  Either of those might tell you what to do with the spot that would become available from putting the 3i in the hall closet.