Ping G425 SFT Driver - First Impressions

Picked up the new G425 SFT with the stock Alta stiff shaft and played my first round with it today.  FYI - I am a typical lower swing speed player and have been fighting the “weak fade” forever.  I spent last season playing the Sim MAX D Driver with generally good results in finding fairways, but I still ended up playing the right side almost every hole.  Before that played the G400 SFT and this really didn’t do anything for me at all.  Well...I am here too tell you that the G425 SFT is the real deal...very first swing was a gentle draw and no matter how hard I tried the thing would not go right..AT ALL.  Basically start this thing down the right side of fairway and watch it draw back to the center almost every time.  Miss was a a block left, but did not hook once.  Will play it again tomorrow and I am hoping this will not be a “one round wonder”.

Edited by chasdr
Spelling...
  • Like 2

Ping G425 SFT Driver Alta CB 55

Mizuno ST-Z 3 Wood Evenflow Riptide

Mizuno ST-Z 5 Wood Evenflow Riptide

Callaway Apex Pro Hybrid 23* MMT

Callaway Apex Pro Hybrid 26* MMT

Ping i210 6 - W SteelFiber i95

Callaway MD5 50/54/58 KBS C-Taper

Scotty Cameron Golo

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Picked up the new G425 SFT with the stock Alta stiff shaft and played my first round with it today.  FYI - I am a typical lower swing speed player and have been fighting the “weak fade” forever.  I sp

I experimented with different weight configurations in the G410 +. Bought a bunch of different weights and at different times had 18 grams in the draw/heel, two 6 gram weights, one in the fade/toe, on

@chasdr - 100% concur that the G425 SFT is the real deal from keeping the ball going right.  I am currently in the process of testing it through GlobalGolf's U-Try program.  That said, out of the gate

There has been a bit of chatter on how good the SFT model is. It seems to have so help for those perky push sliders that no one likes or wants.  I do think the SFT could really benefit from having a 9 degree head also.  Although for the op i would not rules out the shaft is helping you a little and you may be better suited to the stock alta then what you were playing in your gamer before.  Give it a few more rounds before deciding if it is the bee knee's or not. 

6 hours ago, 4cowboys said:

Do you think the g410+ would play the same as the g425 sft, if you put say a 20gm weight in the heal?

I experimented with different weight configurations in the G410 +. Bought a bunch of different weights and at different times had 18 grams in the draw/heel, two 6 gram weights, one in the fade/toe, one in the draw/heel, an 8 gram in the draw and a 6 in the fade, and 8 in the draw and 6 in the rear. 

The head is already one of the heavier ones and the 18 gram weight seem less stable than the weights opposite each other. My best drives were the stock 14 gram in the rear (the way it was bought), but with me purposefully playing a fade. 

Part of the reason I went SFT it to crawl out of the weight changing rabbit hole. 

• Like 1

Ok...2nd round in the books and the G425 SFT continues to impress with its "ease of use".  One thing I learned early in the round was that I needed to back off all of the swing mechanics I had been using to fight the weak fade and just setup square to the ball and put a good swing on it.  The SFT did the rest and I must have hit the fairway at least 10 out of 14 times.  If I missed, it was always just in the left rough except for one drive I yanked left into a hazard...but this was an over swing on my part, not the clubs fault (even then I actually found the ball but had to drop).  So confidence is high heading towards round 3...  Of note, I regripped the driver (not a fan of Arccos) and discovered an 8 gram butt weight which is responsible for the counterweighting of the head.  The driver certainly seems to benefit from the counterweighting as it has a nice balanced feel in hand.

Ping G425 SFT Driver Alta CB 55

Mizuno ST-Z 3 Wood Evenflow Riptide

Mizuno ST-Z 5 Wood Evenflow Riptide

Callaway Apex Pro Hybrid 23* MMT

Callaway Apex Pro Hybrid 26* MMT

Ping i210 6 - W SteelFiber i95

Callaway MD5 50/54/58 KBS C-Taper

Scotty Cameron Golo

• 1 month later...

@chasdr - 100% concur that the G425 SFT is the real deal from keeping the ball going right.  I am currently in the process of testing it through GlobalGolf's U-Try program.  That said, out of the gate, it was overly corrective for me and everything I hit went to the left. So, what I had to do to quiet things down a bit was to open the face by turning down the loft 1.5* from 10.5* to 9* and this really straighten things out for me.  Now everything is a slight draw to a straight shot and is becoming a point and shoot driver for me.  It's only been a few days, but if it stays this way, this will be my best driver purchase ever.  Prior to testing the G425 SFT my miss is a big fade and I really dislike the ball going to the right when the shot doesn't require it.  

However, the G425 Max has me thinking about it by putting the weight in the heel to see if I can gain the same effect as the SFT.  Decisions, decisions..... hrmmmmmmm....  

• Thanks 1

DRIVER - PING G425 SFT / TITLEIST TSi3 9*

FAIRWAY WOODS - TITLEIST TSi3 13.5* &  TSi3 16.5*

HYBRIDS - PXG 0317 X GEN2 19*

IRONS - TITLEIST T300 [5i] / T200 [6i-GW] Combo

WEDGES - CLEVELAND RTX ZIPCORE 52.10 / 56.10 / 60.10

PUTTER - L.A.B. GOLF - DIRECTED FORCE 2.1

PXG 0317 X

@Sons_of_Pitches IMO, I find this year's SFT to be more corrective than the 410 version. That being said, I think the 425 Max with the weight in the heel is comparable to the corrective-ness of the 410 SFT.

Best of luck!

Edited by sshadow2

Callaway Epic Max 9* stock Project-X Hzrdus Smoke iM10
Callaway Epic Speed 4W 16.5* stock Project-X Hzrdus Smoke iM10
Cobra KING F9 Hybrid 21*, 24* Fujikura Atmos Red 7 TS
Cobra KING Forged Tec 7-PW stock KBS $-Taper Lite
Cleveland CBX2 48*, 54* KBS C-Taper
TaylorMade MGS TW Edition 60* KBS C-Taper
Cobra King Sport-45 Putter
TaylorMade TP5

7 minutes ago, sshadow2 said:

@Sons_of_Pitches IMO, I find this year's SFT to be more corrective than the 410 version. That being said, I think the 425 Max with the weight in the heel is comparable to the corrective-ness of the 410 SFT.

Best of luck!

@sshadow2 - Thanks for the reply.  Do you think what I have done to fix the over correction for my swing with the G425 SFT (by lowering the loft by 1.5*) to straighten me out would have the same effect has the G425 Max with the weight in the heel?   

PXG 0317 X

I have the SFT and have played around 6 rounds with it so far. Super happy about the purchase as results have been impressive. Have been hitting them straight and hitting way more fairways than before with my M3. Once in a while I'll pull one to the left but for the most part those are just mishits. This thing is super forgiving.

I tested both the SFT and MAX with weight toward the heel at PGA superstore and the results were overwhelmingly in favor of the SFT with my swing. I've got the stock counterbalanced Alta shaft...tested a few others but that one worked the best.

Highly recommend trying it!

15 minutes ago, Sons_of_Pitches said:

@sshadow2 - Thanks for the reply.  Do you think what I have done to fix the over correction for my swing with the G425 SFT (by lowering the loft by 1.5*) to straighten me out would have the same effect has the G425 Max with the weight in the heel?   

I wouldn’t go that route.

I think you will increase how uncontrollable your ball flight will be. Lowering loft lessens backspin and increases side spin on bad hits. 

If the SFT is too much, I’d get the Max. I would try one of those free store fittings to be sure though. 

Edited by sshadow2

Callaway Epic Max 9* stock Project-X Hzrdus Smoke iM10
Callaway Epic Speed 4W 16.5* stock Project-X Hzrdus Smoke iM10
Cobra KING F9 Hybrid 21*, 24* Fujikura Atmos Red 7 TS
Cobra KING Forged Tec 7-PW stock KBS $-Taper Lite
Cleveland CBX2 48*, 54* KBS C-Taper
TaylorMade MGS TW Edition 60* KBS C-Taper
Cobra King Sport-45 Putter
TaylorMade TP5

On 3/24/2021 at 4:51 PM, Sons_of_Pitches said:

I think they would be close but I’ll bet the SFT still offers a little more correction. I like the thinking in what you did in lowering the loft of your SFT to bring a little fade bias to a heel weighted club AND probably more distance and less spin from the lower loft. I played the 400 SFT for a season and I’ve always liked Ping’s SFT lineup. It was not hook prone at all, I could hit a draw or fade with it. 

@dmeeksDC - thanks for the info.  I still need to do some more testing with the SFT to make sure the lefts are tamed enough to game.  But if it stays like this, I will be super happy.

PXG 0317 X