8 hours ago, Golfrnut said:

I don’t know how you get around it aside from:

-building up the taper yourself using tape, etc and a micrometer

-only using non-tapered gauge pins without the shafts installed. 
Option one being really the only realistic answer

Would be really nice to see someone come out with some sort of tapered blocks you could interchange to at least get closer. 

I’m certainly with you on the second part. I don’t have the ability to adjust elevation on my fave angle gauge either.  Would be super nice those times your gauge hits right on the grooves...so annoying. 

Haha I’ve done that built up the taper with tape and use a digital caliper to check it. It actually works pretty well but it’s a pain if you have to do it repeatedly. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bending machines aren't meant to be used as spec gauges.  They are only meant to be used to take measurements in a relative sense.  For example, you need to bend an iron 2 degrees flat from where it i

THIS.... And thats valid fore ALL kinds of measurements, no matter tool we have, if we try to use it for anything but RELATIVE measurements, we will fail and for good reasons. That calibration b

Absolutely agree.  I would save the $120 and put it towards a spec gauge.  Then you can start to measure drivers, woods, hybrids, and putters accurately as well

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Awainer1 said:

Haha I’ve done that built up the taper with tape and use a digital caliper to check it. It actually works pretty well but it’s a pain if you have to do it repeatedly. 

I can understand that....

TM M3 440 w/ Speeder Evo II 6.1 TS
TM M5 14* Rocket w/ BB S+ 70  
Taylormade P790 2 UDI w/ DG 105R or M3 19* 5W w/ BB S+ 70

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Nike VR Pro MBs w/ DG AMT White R300
Kyoei 52/58 Personal Grinds w/ DG S400s
Odyssey MXM 1W

7 hours ago, Awainer1 said:

Why not just calculate what the angle of the taper is at the point where the shaft is clamped in the spec gauge and take that angle out of the reading?  Seems like that would be way easier and faster than trying to build up the shaft with tape.

Bag 1                                                                                        Bag 2

PING G400 Max 10.5° UST Attas 4U 6TS 44"                      PING G25 10.5° Graphite Design 2419S Prototype

Taylormade SLDR Mini 14° NV 2KXV Green 75X 42"            PING G25 3 Wood Aerotech Steelfiber ss75 S

Callaway 2015 Big Bertha 5 wood Attas 3 8X 41.5"             PING G25 5 Wood Aerotech Steelfiber ss85 S

Callaway Rogue 7 Wood Elements Wind 9X 41"                   PING G25 23° Hybrid KBS Tour V 110

Callaway Rogue 24° Hybrid Tour AD DI 95X                        PING G25 Irons 5-UW KBS Tour V 120

Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal 6-GW AMT Tour White s300    PING Glide 54° SS and 58° TS KBS 610 125

Mizuno T20 54° and 60° DG TI s400                                   PING Sigma Tyne H

Odyssey O-Works Red 7s

17 minutes ago, drumdude96 said:

Why not just calculate what the angle of the taper is at the point where the shaft is clamped in the spec gauge and take that angle out of the reading?  Seems like that would be way easier and faster than trying to build up the shaft with tape.

You know of an easy way to do that?  I can see the benefit, I just can't see an easy path to doing so in my head.  The gauge I can only goes to 70ish degrees in lie angle.  Would be easy if it went to 90 to use it as a reference point and use a gauge to measure the offset against the shaft but unfortunately that's not possible  😞

• Like 1

Odyssey MXM 1W

54 minutes ago, Golfrnut said:

You know of an easy way to do that?  I can see the benefit, I just can't see an easy path to doing so in my head.  The gauge I can only goes to 70ish degrees in lie angle.  Would be easy if it went to 90 to use it as a reference point and use a gauge to measure the offset against the shaft but unfortunately that's not possible  😞

https://www.easycalculation.com/shapes/taper-degree-calculator.php

Here is a link to an online calculator that does it for you.  The length is going to be however long the shaft clamp on your spec gauge is.  Make a line with a Sharpie on the shaft on either end of that and measure the diameters with digital (or dial) calipers.  Plug those numbers in and you have your angle.  It's very easy to calculate this angle with a scientific calculator, but I'd need to draw diagrams and whatnot to explain it.  Ain't nobody got time for dat!  Lol.  If you really want to learn how to do it, you can Google it.  It's just basic trigonometry. 

• Like 3

Bag 1                                                                                        Bag 2

PING G400 Max 10.5° UST Attas 4U 6TS 44"                      PING G25 10.5° Graphite Design 2419S Prototype

Taylormade SLDR Mini 14° NV 2KXV Green 75X 42"            PING G25 3 Wood Aerotech Steelfiber ss75 S

Callaway 2015 Big Bertha 5 wood Attas 3 8X 41.5"             PING G25 5 Wood Aerotech Steelfiber ss85 S

Callaway Rogue 7 Wood Elements Wind 9X 41"                   PING G25 23° Hybrid KBS Tour V 110

Callaway Rogue 24° Hybrid Tour AD DI 95X                        PING G25 Irons 5-UW KBS Tour V 120

Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal 6-GW AMT Tour White s300    PING Glide 54° SS and 58° TS KBS 610 125

Mizuno T20 54° and 60° DG TI s400                                   PING Sigma Tyne H

Odyssey O-Works Red 7s

28 minutes ago, drumdude96 said:

Here is a link to an online calculator that does it for you.  The length is going to be however long the shaft clamp on your spec gauge is.  Make a line with a Sharpie on the shaft on either end of that and measure the diameters with digital (or dial) calipers.  Plug those numbers in and you have your angle.  It's very easy to calculate this angle with a scientific calculator, but I'd need to draw diagrams and whatnot to explain it.  Ain't nobody got time for dat!  Lol.  If you really want to learn how to do it, you can Google it.  It's just basic trigonometry. 

I failed math years ago for a reason, I knew one day we’d all have calculators  in our pockets and google to do it all for us. Take that math teachers of old. 

• Haha 1

Odyssey MXM 1W

1 minute ago, Golfrnut said:

I failed math years ago for a reason, I knew one day we’d all have calculators  in our pockets and google to do it all for us. Take that math teachers of old. 

Lol!  I actually like math, but I was a machinist for a long time and used these kind of calculations a lot in my work. 

• Like 1

Odyssey O-Works Red 7s

50 minutes ago, drumdude96 said:

Wow that’s a great idea thanks!!!

Just some info for you guys.  The average amount of taper on most shafts is only going to be around 1/4 of a degree or less, which is extremely negligible when measuring club head specs.  You really don't need to worry about compensating for it, but if it gives you peace of mind to do so, then go for it.  But really, anything within a half degree is better than good enough for most measurements.

Edited by drumdude96
  • Like 2

Odyssey O-Works Red 7s