I've been watching it for a while and I'm sure many here are familiar with it. How would we describe that flattening I see on Berger's downswing and what creates it? I started flattening my swing on the takeaway about a year ago with great results so this caught my attention a while back watching him. Does that flattening occur from an aggressive Hogan-like move with the elbow? bowing if the left wrist? It just looks very different than what I see with other swings on tv. I do see a similar move with Jon Rahm's swing. Knowledgeable input appreciated as are snarky remarks, too.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Super helpful post. 

Cupped? 

I think his motion comes from his tennis days. That had a big influence on his golf swing. It’s his swing DNA. Not something I would try to copy but obviously it’s super effective for him.

Posted Images

See? I told you we'd see "How to Swing Like Berger!" stuff soon. It'll be on the cover of Golf and Golf Digest soon.

Get those wrist braces ready!

"How to Swing Like Berger!"

Does old What's His Name still do Golf Channel stuff? If so, look for it soon.

Yeehaw.

Edited by Soloman1
49 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

See? I told you we'd see "How to Swing Like Berger!" stuff soon. It'll be on the cover of Golf and Golf Digest soon.

Get those wrist braces ready!

Does old What's His Name still do Golf Channel stuff? If so, look for it soon.

Yeehaw.

Super helpful post. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

His swing is almost an exact copy of Raymond Floyd's swing except with a lot more speed.  Super cupped wrist at the top then he comes over the top a bit.  Ensures that the ball will start a little left and bleed to the right.  I like his low ball flight especially on courses like Pebble where it can get very windy(personal experience).   

• Like 1

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/Ventus Blue 8x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

4 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

His swing is almost an exact copy of Raymond Floyd's swing except with a lot more speed.  Super cupped wrist at the top then he comes over the top a bit.  Ensures that the ball will start a little left and bleed to the right.  I like his low ball flight especially on courses like Pebble where it can get very windy(personal experience).   

Cupped? spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

TSi3
Mavrik SZ

PXG 0341 21*
MP20 MMC 4 Iron
MP20 MB 5-W
Raw Callaway 53*

Raw Mizuno T20 58*
PM Grind 64*
Special Select Newport 2

9 hours ago, gators78 said:

Cupped? spacer.png

Meant to say bowed wrist.  Sorry, I confuse the two at times.  I still stand by my statement that his swing is the spitting image of Raymond Floyd's swing. 

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/Ventus Blue 8x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

He’s bowing the left wrist and he’s rolling the left forearm, which is what causes him to be laid off and to have to lift the arms like he does. 

I’m surprised he’s able to shallow the shaft with any speed from that position, but as someone said earlier it looks like his tennis backhand DNA and he’s obviously comfortable with it and it works very well for him. You wouldn’t teach it to anyone I don’t think, but he “owns” it and that is what matters. 

Definitely a particular swing… but I’m a bit surprised that it’s not liked more than it is (well, not that surprised because of the ‘aesthetical at all cost nation’ following)… because he seems to be hitting all the spots we read about in a good swing…

In fact, his swing looks like a combination of exaggeration drills to the new way of swinging… exception being a lot of left forearm pronation early on : helping in to preset the right wrist extension by LAP BS (which was popular a few years back it seems), that gets him in his unusual laid off look… from there he’s already set, really low maintenance : at the top – perfect waiter position, deep and wide… going to LAP DS, clubhead CoM going away from target and back (staying on the wall), syncing up… and from LAP DS, he’s in a perfect ‘shallow’ DTL (view) – automatic pivot with minimal wrist action… exiting low and left…

Really low maintenance for consistent ball striking... would lead me to believe more coach would want their students to try and copy that, he checks all the boxes they are desperately trying to teach the amateurs (right wrist extension, sequence to sync up, shallow in the hitting zone, no stall/flip)... but yeah, not 'pleasant for the eyes'

On 2/16/2021 at 8:42 PM, phizzy30 said:

Meant to say bowed wrist.  Sorry, I confuse the two at times.  I still stand by my statement that his swing is the spitting image of Raymond Floyd's swing. 

Spitting image?

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.

Laugh-a while you can, monkey boy.
Enjoy every sandwich

23 minutes ago, MtlJayMan said:

Definitely a particular swing… but I’m a bit surprised that it’s not liked more than it is (well, not that surprised because of the ‘aesthetical at all cost nation’ following)… because he seems to be hitting all the spots we read about in a good swing…

In fact, his swing looks like a combination of exaggeration drills to the new way of swinging… exception being a lot of left forearm pronation early on : helping in to preset the right wrist extension by LAP BS (which was popular a few years back it seems), that gets him in his unusual laid off look… from there he’s already set, really low maintenance : at the top – perfect waiter position, deep and wide… going to LAP DS, clubhead CoM going away from target and back (staying on the wall), syncing up… and from LAP DS, he’s in a perfect ‘shallow’ DTL (view) – automatic pivot with minimal wrist action… exiting low and left…

Really low maintenance for consistent ball striking... would lead me to believe more coach would want their students to try and copy that, he checks all the boxes they are desperately trying to teach the amateurs (right wrist extension, sequence to sync up, shallow in the hitting zone, no stall/flip)... but yeah, not 'pleasant for the eyes'

I'm not sure I would say he's hitting all the spots we read about. He sucks it inside early and then has to lift almost straight up, dynamically it's quite different than the steep to shallow model that is so common on tour. Most ams would come straight over the top from that position due to the momentum of the club, I suspect his little hitch at the top  is where he is essentially stopping the club trajectory and then brings the hands back down while using his wrists to flatten out the shaft. 

With that being said I am not sure you can call it low maintenance either. From the top it looks good, but that early part would cause most folks a lot of issues. He own's it because he's obviously a great athlete

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Krt22 said:

I'm not sure I would say he's hitting all the spots we read about. He sucks it inside early and then has to lift almost straight up, dynamically it's quite different than the steep to shallow model that is so common on tour. Most ams would come straight over the top from that position due to the momentum of the club, I suspect his little hitch at the top  is where he is essentially stopping the club trajectory and then brings the hands back down while using his wrists to flatten out the shaft. 

With that being said I am not sure you can call it low maintenance either. From the top it looks good, but that early part would cause most folks a lot of issues. He own's it because he's obviously a great athlete

Fair enough - he does suck it way inside early, (left forearm pronation and wrist bow) but that also preset the right wrist extension; that so many amateurs never do (in their entire swing sequence!)... and let's be honest, most ams would come over the top from any position (that urge to swing at the ball with their upper body is happening from any spot) but I agree he's way laid off.

He's tremendous at synching the arms back down from the top (all tour pros are - and most ams aren't; see just above), and my 'low maintenance' comment was coming from the fact that his wrist position is already preset (while many have to manipulate them when the club speed is maximum; just look at the number of 'bowed or cupped' / when to motorcycle / knuckles down comments we see) - it's just aggresive pivot time by LAP with everything synched up