Driver shaft testing - stepping up by weight/flex

wildcatden

10YO boy: We have been using a Grand Bassara GB39 Lite-Flex cut to around 38" (39.25" finished club length), Lamkin Crossline Black Junior grip (~35g), and with Cobra F9 driver attached.  I want to start testing some different driver shafts because he struggles with driver (control and distance).  As mentioned by some here on the board, not everyone swings a lighter shaft faster.  At this point, I am thinking to pick up a couple shafts on eBay in the ~47-49g (uncut) and 57-59g (uncut) weights in a senior flex. These will be compared against the GB39 Lite-Flex 43g (uncut). Anything beyond 60 grams is probably going to be too heavy, but if someone went even heavier than that and had success, it would be great to hear it.

Anyone have prior experience in stepping up weight/flex in shafts for their testing? How did it go?  Stepping up in 10g increments seem reasonable?

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

will be kind of hard at that size my sons clubs are just shy of 2 inches off full size and his coach has several fitting clubs in his office so when we where looking for iron shafts he was able to choke down a few inches. we did find that light was not always better we played just a little heavier shaft in his irons and everything fell into place. but that is just one instance. talk to his coach he should be able to guide you. trust me i have done alot on my own and it was a waste of money. ask a expert for me it ends up cheaper in the end 

We don't have a full time coach, so asking the experts here. 🙂    As of now, we are doing the definition of insanity - trying the same thing over and over expecting different results. It's tough to watch your kid struggle and watch their confidence erode with the driver especially when that used to be a better part of their game.

He's been doing "age appropriate" workouts for a couple months and has definitely gotten stronger. We even see the improvement (10-15 yards) in his iron distances using USKG TS3-54's. Late last week, he moved to TS3-57's with junior steel shafts and the adjustment has been smooth (no lost distance, trajectory is nice, etc.... as measured on a Mevo+). He is just a smidge over 57" tall with golf shoes on, wrist to floor of 27", and weighs 80lbs.

However, the driver is no bueno. Actually gotten shorter off the tee (down from 180-190 to 150-160 total).  Tried every weight or no weight combination (including buying a kit with different weights) in his F9.  Also tried his older Fly-Z+ head with weights or no weights.  Certainly, he likely has some swing flaws, but my research (and my gut) is telling me after hundreds (thousands?) of his swings that the lighter shaft just isn't working out.  I'm just hoping that others here can share their experiences although I understand if they don't want to for competitive reasons.  Anyway, I'm going to try at least a couple of shafts because we spend all of this money (membership, tournaments, irons, etc...) elsewhere. If it doesn't work, we'll just have to keep developing his irons and short game until he is old/tall enough to be fitted for driver professionally.

Appreciate your input above very much. Thanks.

• Like 2

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

We moved from a XR16 with Recoil F1 (45gm) shaft into a Cally Epic with a Speeder Evolution 565 A flex shaft (57 gm).

My son plays the same irons as your son...TS3-57 with steel shafts...with mid-70s swing speed with Driver

The transition from the Recoil F1 to Speeder Evolution was seamless. 

He likes heavier weighted shafts though.  The main reason for the switch was based on feel.  

For example...he demo'd a set of TS3-57s with graphite shafts...and said they felt like garbage.  He said he liked the feel of the heavier steel shafts.  I thought for sure he could squeeze out 5-10 yards per club based on the USK-TS3 57 graphite 7-iron being 30gm lighter than steel.  I was wrong.  He swings the steel faster...with better contact...and better dispersion.  The FlightScope numbers back up his feel.

My point is that what feels best matters.

The same logic applies to me as well.  I can't seem to swing a Driver at D2 and below swingweight...or irons at D2 and below.  But...get my Driver at D4-D5...and my irons at D4-D5...and all is well.

• Like 2

On 2/16/2021 at 11:38 AM, wildcatden said:

We don't have a full time coach, so asking the experts here. 🙂    As of now, we are doing the definition of insanity - trying the same thing over and over expecting different results. It's tough to watch your kid struggle and watch their confidence erode with the driver especially when that used to be a better part of their game.

He's been doing "age appropriate" workouts for a couple months and has definitely gotten stronger. We even see the improvement (10-15 yards) in his iron distances using USKG TS3-54's. Late last week, he moved to TS3-57's with junior steel shafts and the adjustment has been smooth (no lost distance, trajectory is nice, etc.... as measured on a Mevo+). He is just a smidge over 57" tall with golf shoes on, wrist to floor of 27", and weighs 80lbs.

However, the driver is no bueno. Actually gotten shorter off the tee (down from 180-190 to 150-160 total).  Tried every weight or no weight combination (including buying a kit with different weights) in his F9.  Also tried his older Fly-Z+ head with weights or no weights.  Certainly, he likely has some swing flaws, but my research (and my gut) is telling me after hundreds (thousands?) of his swings that the lighter shaft just isn't working out.  I'm just hoping that others here can share their experiences although I understand if they don't want to for competitive reasons.  Anyway, I'm going to try at least a couple of shafts because we spend all of this money (membership, tournaments, irons, etc...) elsewhere. If it doesn't work, we'll just have to keep developing his irons and short game until he is old/tall enough to be fitted for driver professionally.

Appreciate your input above very much. Thanks.

10 YO son, 58" tall or so, TS 57 Steel shafts, F9/Recoil F2....so pretty much same spot.    Last year he went through what sounds similar (exactly, actually)....lost distance with driver, goes from a nice tight draw with good trajectory to a weak high spinning push....lost some serious distance and it was a head scratcher and frustrating... probably went on for a few months.   Speed was maintained, and even increased, just seems like it wasnt transferring down through the shot.   Looking back, this isnt the first time.  Its easy to look at the equipment, but IMO if it was working before then getting a new combo isnt going to magically get his 30 yards back.   I honestly think it has a lot to do with growth spurts - they grow so fast that it makes sense that losing some coordination & feel of how to keep that power connected.  Driver is the longest club in the bag and will expose swing flaws the most.    The other thing was that I think his alignment started to get twisted up.  Been working hard on alignment this year with good results.  Its funny how, as parents, you've seen them swing so many times that you can tell with a pretty high degree of certainty what a shot will do just by seeing how they setup/align.   Dont panic.  It's cliche, but I think going back to the simple basics of checking grip, alignment, & setup can get them in a position to find it again.   My son is a feel player, so sometimes when its way off I just tell him to try to do the opposite - i.e. if he is slicing, tell him to go to range and try to hit a big draw/hook.  Kind of a calibration thing.    Maybe not the answer for everyone, but seems to work for him.   

Edited by hangontight
  • Like 2

We demo'ed 4 shaft this weekend.  Different weight categories (45, 55, 65 and 75)-- all in the hope of eking out a little more club head speed .  Did not happen for him. He maxed out  (45, 55, 65) in high 90s and the 7s was slightly lower in mid 90s. We were trying to get to triple digits. For him specifically, 10-15 grams of weight did not result in any speed gain. He was hitting them all quite well but either the 55 or 65 weight had the best launch characteristics.  Three of the shafts were from the same manufacture and flex (Ventus 5s, 6s, and 7s).  I forget the ultra light shaft brand. 

• Like 1