Need help selecting graphite wedge shafts.

Have been a Project X player for years.  Last season went to PX LZ graphite shafts in the 2 iron thru PW in Titleist 735cm's.  The 2 iron is a Pine Eye 2 BeCu head.  I still have steel shafts in my two wedges.  They are Vokey SM8's with the stock DG wedge flex shafts.  

Had the True Temper spinner shafts in the previous wedges that I had used when playing the steel PX shafts.  They were old Vokey oil can wedges.  I came into the SM8's right at the end of last season, so did not change out the stock shafts yet. 

I really like the LZ graphite in the rest of the irons & my hands really like the graphite (osteoarthritis).  So I am not sure which way to turn right now.  First impulse is to put the old spinner shafts in the two wedges (52 & 58) since that is what I have played.  Then I wonder about just getting two more LZ graphite shafts, which will be the 90 gram weight.  The old spinner shafts were the 120 (or 125?) gram shafts.  Back then the heavier shafts worked better for me from the PX's for the wedges.

I do currently have a Recoil proto ion bonded 125(?) gram graphite shaft that I can even try.  Got it dirt cheap from eBay over a year ago.  At this point and with it being at least over a month before the next season begins, figured it is a perfect time to ask for recommendations here.  Due to the benefits I have with the graphite already, I am really leaning towards trying graphite in the two wedges. However I am not sure which direction to turn at this point.  Plus too old to spend a season or two guessing on what to do.

If I go with the current Recoil shaft, should I get another 125 gram Recoil to match it.  Granted it will not be another ion shaft, but thinking another of the same weight & flex would match it.  Just not sure with it being an ion bonded shaft, so another question to toss out to you.  In the past, being used to heavier shafts in the wedges is what make me unsure of going with the LZ graphite route.  So needing to reach out to all of you that have switched from steel to graphite on what you have found worked for you in the wedges.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When I switched to graphite I put the Paderson Kinetixx wedge shafts in my wedges. I did it on a lark, just to try them out and I absolutely love them. Good heft, nice feel and the ability t

I like the Paderson Kinetixx wedge shafts. Great feel. Even the 115 gram regular is pretty stout.

I use Accra Constant Weight i95 graphite in my irons shaft and I have used graphite previously -- the Steelfiber 125 wedge worked well - it was about 12+ yrs ago. If I went graphite, I might try the A

The ion bonding shouldn't make that much of a difference.  That said you can get the same shaft in the wedges if you like.  A trick that some use is to get a similar (or the same) and soften it up some or even go down a flex to generate more speed and spin.  Some go down in weight, but I personally don't like that.

G410 9 Degree - Accra FX 2.0

G410 5, 7 & 9 Woods - Accra FX 2.0

G710 4-UW - Accra 70i

Glide 3.0 54ES, 58WS Accra 70i

PING Bruzer

PING Vault 2.0 Ketsch & Craz-E **Backups**

(My son is waiting patiently for the G425 woods so he can take my old ones!)

1 hour ago, b.helts said:

When I switched to graphite I put the Paderson Kinetixx wedge shafts in my wedges.

I did it on a lark, just to try them out and I absolutely love them.

Good heft, nice feel and the ability to flight the wedges like steel.

Highly recommended.

https://www.golfworks.com/paderson-kinetixx-ts-w-355-wedge-shafts/p/pk0107/

Was going to suggest those and/or the fujikura MCI wedge shaft.  Smooth and  stable and a purpose built wedge shaft.  

• Like 1

Mizuno ST-Z 9.5 Diamana TB 70TX 

Titleist ts2 16.5 * Tensei CK pro Blue 80TX

TM Sim tour 19*  Aldila proto 95TX  

Titleist T100 4-pw MMT 125TX 

Vokey sm7 50 54 58 MCI 125 mild  

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

45 minutes ago, tbowles411 said:

The ion bonding shouldn't make that much of a difference.  That said you can get the same shaft in the wedges if you like.  A trick that some use is to get a similar (or the same) and soften it up some or even go down a flex to generate more speed and spin.  Some go down in weight, but I personally don't like that.

Thanks.....the PX LZ only come in 90 grams.  The last thing I would even think of would be going down in weight. Do not need to have more spin or speed so would keep the same flex as the other shafts.  They are 5.0's hard stepped once.

18 hours ago, GLF4EVR said:

Have been a Project X player for years.  Last season went to PX LZ graphite shafts in the 2 iron thru PW in Titleist 735cm's.  The 2 iron is a Pine Eye 2 BeCu head.  I still have steel shafts in my two wedges.  They are Vokey SM8's with the stock DG wedge flex shafts.  

Had the True Temper spinner shafts in the previous wedges that I had used when playing the steel PX shafts.  They were old Vokey oil can wedges.  I came into the SM8's right at the end of last season, so did not change out the stock shafts yet. 

I really like the LZ graphite in the rest of the irons & my hands really like the graphite (osteoarthritis).  So I am not sure which way to turn right now.  First impulse is to put the old spinner shafts in the two wedges (52 & 58) since that is what I have played.  Then I wonder about just getting two more LZ graphite shafts, which will be the 90 gram weight.  The old spinner shafts were the 120 (or 125?) gram shafts.  Back then the heavier shafts worked better for me from the PX's for the wedges.

I do currently have a Recoil proto ion bonded 125(?) gram graphite shaft that I can even try.  Got it dirt cheap from eBay over a year ago.  At this point and with it being at least over a month before the next season begins, figured it is a perfect time to ask for recommendations here.  Due to the benefits I have with the graphite already, I am really leaning towards trying graphite in the two wedges. However I am not sure which direction to turn at this point.  Plus too old to spend a season or two guessing on what to do.

If I go with the current Recoil shaft, should I get another 125 gram Recoil to match it.  Granted it will not be another ion shaft, but thinking another of the same weight & flex would match it.  Just not sure with it being an ion bonded shaft, so another question to toss out to you.  In the past, being used to heavier shafts in the wedges is what make me unsure of going with the LZ graphite route.  So needing to reach out to all of you that have switched from steel to graphite on what you have found worked for you in the wedges.

I use Accra Constant Weight i95 graphite in my irons shaft and I have used graphite previously -- the Steelfiber 125 wedge worked well - it was about 12+ yrs ago. If I went graphite, I might try the Accra wedge shafts, too.

I've used graphite iron shafts since 2005, experimented with graphite in wedges as stated above, and KBS steel but found that Nippon Pro Modus 3 Wedge steel shafts (115/125) did not cause any elbow pain (KBS did). I use them in the 2 highest lofted wedges as they are not full shot clubs.  I recently started using the 115 Nippon in the Gap Wedge after lighter graphite felt odd around the green.

Even Nippon Steel Iron shafts seem to work to eliminate any physical pain for me. Coupled with a softer grip to eliminate vibration. Just a thought.

But I'd look at Steelfiber, Accra, I've never been impressed with Recoil 95 feel although it's an accurate shaft, and haven't tried it in 125.

• Like 2

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Observer of Peeps

Primary Bag:

Callaway Epic Speed 9; Epic Max 9 ● Mizuno STZ 5 wd/Motore F3 6 ● SIM Max 4H/Accra FX 2.0 200 ● Mizuno MP-20 HMB 5-PW Accra ICWT95 ● Mizuno MP T20 50, 55, 59/Nippon Pro Modus 3 Wedge 125 ● Swag Savage Too ● Options: Epic Speed 7 wd/Riptide 70, Mizuno STZ 3 wd/Motore F3 6, TEE EXS 3, 4 Hy/GD AD Hy 65

I think you'll like the recoil proto 125.  I have them in my back up set.  They launch high but don't spin too much.  Perfect for wedges IMO.  I hated the DG Spinners and KBS Hi-Rev shafts because while they did launch high, they spun way too much.  I haven't tried the PX LZ so I can't comment on those.  Any graphite shaft you choose will be a lot easier on your body in general.  

• Like 1

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/TB 80x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

Appreciate all of the input!  The more I look into it, have become pretty sold on the Paderson shafts.  phizzy30...I have a back-up set that the old Vokey's will now reside in.  I will likely put the shaft in the 58.  That is by far the wedge that gets the most work, so the Recoil Proto is not out of the picture at all.

Have one more question for you.  Should I go with the regular or stiff shaft?  Just my age alone makes me think regular.  In August I hit 63, but have not lost my distance.....yet.  Then think of having better dispersion with the stiff shaft.  Or, as I have been told....I think too much! 

4 hours ago, GLF4EVR said:

Appreciate all of the input!  The more I look into it, have become pretty sold on the Paderson shafts.  phizzy30...I have a back-up set that the old Vokey's will now reside in.  I will likely put the shaft in the 58.  That is by far the wedge that gets the most work, so the Recoil Proto is not out of the picture at all.

Have one more question for you.  Should I go with the regular or stiff shaft?  Just my age alone makes me think regular.  In August I hit 63, but have not lost my distance.....yet.  Then think of having better dispersion with the stiff shaft.  Or, as I have been told....I think too much! 

Really depends on spin.  Stiffer shaft will spin less.  If you're wedges suck back too much then I would suggest stiff.  Distance control is the most important and trajectory would be second for wedges IMO. 

• Like 1

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/TB 80x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

11 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

Really depends on spin.  Stiffer shaft will spin less.  If you're wedges suck back too much then I would suggest stiff.  Distance control is the most important and trajectory would be second for wedges IMO. 

Thanks phizzy30.  Might just go with regular then.  My stock wedge shot is with the ball placement close to the middle of the stance.  With that, the ball action is usually a drop & stop.  With the ball placement there, about the only time it sucks back a little is if I take a real full swing.  The vast majority of my wedge shots are with the clock face method for distance.  With these shots, the spin ability of a regular vs stiff shaft might be the better "payoff" of the two.  Appreciate you pointing that out.

24 minutes ago, GLF4EVR said:

Thanks phizzy30.  Might just go with regular then.  My stock wedge shot is with the ball placement close to the middle of the stance.  With that, the ball action is usually a drop & stop.  With the ball placement there, about the only time it sucks back a little is if I take a real full swing.  The vast majority of my wedge shots are with the clock face method for distance.  With these shots, the spin ability of a regular vs stiff shaft might be the better "payoff" of the two.  Appreciate you pointing that out.

I'm a fan of doing wedges to the same spec of my 8 or 9 iron.  The extra soft stepping takes off enough stiffness to me to feel pretty good for "less than 100%" wedge shots.  Just my personal preference, and maybe an idea.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, GLF4EVR said:

Should I go with the regular or stiff shaft?  Just my age alone makes me think regular.  In August I hit 63, but have not lost my distance.....yet.  Then think of having better dispersion with the stiff shaft.  Or, as I have been told....I think too much! 

I am 56, 4 hdcp, driver swing speed right around 100. I play stiff shafts in everything except for wedges, the regular Kinetixx W shaft is plenty stiff enough for me. 

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, Sparky14 said:

I am 56, 4 hdcp, driver swing speed right around 100. I play stiff shafts in everything except for wedges, the regular Kinetixx W shaft is plenty stiff enough for me. 

I am just under half way to 63 now.  Two years back my average swing speed with the driver was 113.  Have not registered my scores for years for a hdcp, but would guess myself to run somewhere from a 8 to a 12.  Thanks for the input!  It does help point me more & more towards an R flex.

Anyone try the KBS TGI graphite shaft in wedge? Interested in the 90g and to 100g version.

TM Sim 10.5, VA Rajjin 64S
Titleist 16.5 TS2, GD AD TP 6S
Callaway Mavrik 5 Hybrid Project X Cataylst 70 6.0
Callaway Mavrik 3 Hybrid Project X Cataylst 70 6.0
Callaway Epic Forge, Steelfiber 90S
Miura Tour Wedge 54, Steelfiber 115cw S
TM MG2 58, KBS.

Scotty Cameron Big Sur Long Putter.

Snell MTB X.

2 hours ago, mcounci2 said:

I'm a fan of doing wedges to the same spec of my 8 or 9 iron.  The extra soft stepping takes off enough stiffness to me to feel pretty good for "less than 100%" wedge shots.  Just my personal preference, and maybe an idea.

With the clockface system I use for my distance, can really begin to see the R flex might help with the drop & stop on these shots.  Last year when I switched to the graphite shafts, I noticed with the shorter irons that it felt like I was not having to put quite the "effort" that was needed with the steel shafts to have the ball check up quickly.